I would like to thank Tripp Lite for supplying the review sample.
Many consumers are aware of the importance of using a surge protector. Unfortunately, that is not enough to provide complete power protection. Surge protectors only protect against a sudden spike in power supply, and cannot protect the PC if the power goes out (called a blackout), the power drops below tolerance (called a brownout), or if any other power issue occurs. It is completely possible to have random problems with a PC because of "dirty" power, and often the cause gets attributed to something else. The solution is to replace the surge protector with an uninterruptible power supply, or UPS. These units have a battery backup and power filtering circuitry that help keep your PC running smoother and longer.
- LCD Display indicates input voltage, battery capacity and a variety of operating conditions. Display is rotatable for easy viewing whether UPS is in vertical or horizontal position
- SMART1000LCD Digital Uninterruptible Power Supply offers voltage regulation, surge suppression and long lasting battery support during blackouts
- Supports entry level PCs up to 60 minutes or single VCR/DVR components for up to 3 hours during blackouts
- Regulates brownouts as low as 89 volts back to usable levels without using battery power
- 4 UPS battery supported outlets, plus 4 additional surge suppression-only outlets
- USB port and cable enables unattended shutdown in the case of extended power failure
- HID-compliant USB interface enables full integration with built-in power management and auto shutdown features of Windows and Mac OS X.
- PowerAlert software available via free download from tripplite.com
- Single-line phone suppression protects standard dialup/DSL phone connection
- 1000VA / 500 watt power handling ability supports a variety of sensitive computer, home theater and other equipment
- 3 minutes full load runtime (1000VA / 500 watts), 11 minutes half load runtime (500VA / 250 watts)
- Cabinet adapts to tower format or rackmount shelf format. Rackmount (2U) format requires an optional shelf, available separately
- 2-year product warranty
- $250,000 connected equipment Insurance (USA & Canada Only)
Model: Smart1000LCD Voltage compatibility: 120 VAC Frequency compatibility: 60 Output volt amp capacity (VA): 1000 Output watt capacity (watts): 500 Output nominal voltage: 120 VAC Output voltage regulation: BATTERY MODE: PWM sine wave 115V +/-5% Output frequency regulation: LINE MODE: Passes line frequency of 60Hz +/-10%
BATTERY MODE: Inverter output regulated to 60Hz +/-0.5Hz
Outlet quantity / type: 8 NEMA 5-15R Maximum input amps: 12A Input connection type: NEMA 5-15P Recommended electrical service: 120V 15A Full load runtime: 3 minutes (1000VA / 500w) Half load runtime: 11 minutes (500VA / 250w) DC system voltage: 12VDC Typical battery lifespan: 4-6 years (depending on usage) Voltage regulation description: Line interactive voltage regulation corrects brownouts as low as 89V back to usable values Direct pass through: Voltages of 105V and greater are passed through to connected equipment unchanged Brownout correction: Input voltages between 89 and 104 are boosted by 14% AC surge suppression: 480 joules Unit weight (lbs): 14.6 Unit weight (kg): 6.6 Unit Dimensions (HWD/in): Tower format: 12 x 3.5 x 6.5 / Rackmount Shelf format: 3.5 x 12 x 6.5 Transfer time from line power to battery mode: 2-4 milliseconds Low voltage transfer to battery power: Switches to battery power as line voltage decreases to 89V or less, switches back to AC mode as line voltage increases to 94V or higher High voltage transfer to battery power: Switches to battery mode as line voltage increases to 139V or higher, switches back to AC mode as line voltage decreases to 135V or lower Certifications: Tested to UL1778 (USA), CSA C22.2 No. 107.3 (Canada), NOM (Mexico), Class B (Emissions), FCC part 68 (US & Canada) Product warranty: 2 year product warranty Connected equipment insurance (USA and Canada Only): $250,000
About Tripp LiteFrom the Tripp Lite website:
By 1980, the advent of the personal computer had created a need for reliable battery backup power to prevent computer data loss and hardware damage. By integrating proven inverter technology with a battery charger and transfer switch, Tripp Lite became the first company to manufacture a UPS system specifically designed for desktop PCs. Coupled with the introduction of the Isobar® Premium Surge Suppressor in 1982, Tripp Lite was uniquely positioned to supply the burgeoning computer market with high quality power protection equipment.
In the 1990s, on the heels of the PC revolution, businesses decentralized their datacom structures, swapping mainframes for multiple servers running specialized applications. In addition, businesses became increasingly reliant on the Internet. Tripp Lite’s product line branched out to address the broad spectrum of these specialized needs. To help ensure 100% server availability, Tripp Lite added more comprehensive protection features to its UPS system line. In addition, Tripp Lite introduced several new product lines: cables and connectivity products, KVM switches, power distribution units (PDUs) and rackmount enclosures.
Tripp Lite quickly became the corporate standard in a variety of markets, including home/home office, small-to-medium business, corporate enterprise, government/education and healthcare. In 1996, Tripp Lite’s market leadership was recognized by ISO 9000 certification. Tripp Lite is currently ISO 9001 certified for the highest standards of design, manufacturing, distribution, marketing, sales and service excellence.
Keeping pace with its rapidly expanding product line, Tripp Lite’s corporate infrastructure expanded as well. In 1998, to maintain its reputation as having the largest stock of ready-to-ship inventory, Tripp Lite relocated its world headquarters to a 1 million square foot facility (formerly occupied by catalog giant Spiegel) in Chicago. Currently, the facility is at the center of a vast global distribution, support and sales network that has reached out to service the individual needs of Tripp Lite customers in over 60 countries worldwide.
From the year 2000 to today (with over 16 million Isobars and 6 million UPS systems sold), Tripp Lite continues to adapt to the unique needs of its customers. New Tripp Lite UPS system innovations include digital models with LCD displays, “hot-swap” modular models that provide 100% availability and 3-phase models in space-saving cabinets. Additional product line introductions have included notebook accessories, audio/video power protection and replacement batteries.
As it seeks to anticipate future needs, Tripp Lite has remained focused on its core values: providing quality power protection and connectivity solutions with a focus on customer service and uncompromising loyalty to its channel partners.