• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Purchased an AX1200i PSU as part of some forward planning, what tier is this PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
Same goes for @Onasi calling it tier F, I'll take an AX1200i with up to ~4 years of use on it over practically any midrange unit today, especially if it had been mine from the get go.
I didn’t. I just quoted the tier list itself, which was what the initial question asked for. I even said multiple times that it’s a good PSU and haven’t warned the OP one way or another except mentioning that I’d be wary of hooking up a new build to a PSU on that old of a platform (caps do go bad potentially over time, after all) if it was bought used without full knowledge of its life and the plan is to keep a system for a long while. Hardly an extreme point to make.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Ocean Plastic Mouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
I wouldn't even compare this 100 pounds "deal" to new 1000W PSUs. Hard to say how much of it's nominal wattage it's able to deliver today. And in general buying 1000W unit for computer with one GPU has never been needed, so it's overkilling Watts for some more or less fancy reason. SLI is not likely to come back, I wouldn't suspect even OP to power with this mushroom some multi-GPU workstation, so for sure one costing and making money. For ~100 pounds - or even lower if hunting promos - man can get new 850W units like Pure Power 12 or XPG Core Reactor II. ATX 3.0, very good performers, quiet, modular and somehow compromised, but with 10-year warranty to cover it. Not having 10, 20 or even 100 pounds is not serious answer if we talk things guaranteed to serve ten years or ones not even needed now.

With the quality of the components used in an AX1200i, unless this is an early batch unit that's been under heavy load for the past 10+ years, or used on a miner's rig (which is very likely!), I wouldn't put it past a ~7-8 year old AX1200i used with a common high-end desktop's load to reliably provide its full 1200 W. This power supply was of absolutely legendary quality.

Under normal circumstances an AX1200i will not have trouble with any ATX3.0/12VHPWR GPU, I run my i9-13900KS and RTX 4080 on my similarly elderly 1300 G2 just fine (although I bought it from new old stock in 2018 and put it in service in 2020).

However,

Or, hear me out.

Don't spend £100 on a 10+ year old PSU.

It's a waste of £100 regardless of how long he's planning on using it.

This is all there's to it. OP's the kind of guy who likes to dumpster dive, and UNLESS they paid £100 on it new, unopened from old stock (what a find! - but that's about a dream at this point) or know the full past of the unit and that it was very sparingly used, this is the advice to be ultimately followed - listen to this and buy a new unit instead.

Ethereum mining craze all but killed the used GPU and PSU market, anything from the past decade is just likely to be garbage.

I didn’t. I just quoted the tier list itself, which was what the initial question asked for. I even said multiple times that it’s a good PSU and haven’t warned the OP one way or another except mentioning that I’d be wary of hooking up a new build to a PSU on that old of a platform (caps do go bad potentially over time, after all) if it was bought used without full knowledge of its life and the plan is to keep a system for a long while. Hardly an extreme point to make.

True, I get where you're coming from. Apologies for misunderstanding, had just woken up :)

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
That's a bit extreme, that list is quite reliable and backed by research.
not really since it's all based of a single persons reviews who doesn't make that tier list but has his own performance list(s) so why not use his. It's not like I take wizzards GPU reviews and say, OK I never tested these GPUs myself but based of TPU reviews I will make a tier list from my personal preference and since Gigabyte can do no wrong and Zotac can do no right all Gigabytes 4070ti are tier 2 and all Zotac 4070ti are tier 4 even if there are no reviews for that particular model.

I wouldn't put it past a ~7-8 year old AX1200i used with a common high-end desktop's load to reliably provide its full 1200 W. This power supply was of absolutely legendary quality.
by the way, I don't disagree with this statement. You have a top server PSU OEM making this unit

Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
not really since it's all based of a single persons reviews who doesn't make that tier list but has his own performance list(s) so why not use his. It's not like I take wizzards GPU reviews and say, OK I never tested these GPUs myself but based of TPU reviews I will make a tier list from my personal preference and since Gigabyte can do no wrong and Zotac can do no right all Gigabytes 4070ti are tier 2 and all Zotac 4070ti are tier 4 even if there are no reviews for that particular model.
Uh… no? The methodology for at least the Cultist version is laid out and explained well. True, it might be that there aren’t a lot of respected PSU reviewers that test them thoroughly in an actual professional manner, but that’s not a knock against the list itself. The data has to come from SOMEWHERE. It even includes provisions for “speculative” positions for models that should be, by all accounts and metrics based on the platform, be good, but lack thorough testing. And the brands don’t come into play at all, you can see same brands both in top and bottom tiers. Is it a holy gospel? No, of course not, but it’s about as good as an aggregated quick glance reference could possibly be.

Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Keyboard Galax Stealth

The guy behind Cultists Network (Luke) has a very good understanding of power supplies, and if you read the tier list carefully, it is all referenced and links to reviews that were done by reputed reviewers with extensive experience, such as Aris and Jon, it's just become a point of quick reference because it's a concise and reliable source of information.

With Aris retiring from the professional review business at Tom's, TPU and the other few publications he regularly appeared at to focus on his work at Cybenetics and his own website (Hardware Busters), we have fewer reliable sources than ever. TPU basically stopped doing PSU reviews after Aris quit, that leaves HWBusters and Club386 on my reading list...

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Uh… no? The methodology for at least the Cultist version is laid out and explained well. True, it might be that there aren’t a lot of respected PSU reviewers that test them thoroughly in an actual professional manner, but that’s not a knock against the list itself. The data has to come from SOMEWHERE. It even includes provisions for “speculative” positions for models that should be, by all accounts and metrics based on the platform, be good, but lack thorough testing. And the brands don’t come into play at all, you can see same brands both in top and bottom tiers. Is it a holy gospel? No, of course not, but it’s about as good as an aggregated quick glance reference could possibly be.
um yes deal with it I explained all the faults of it already

The guy behind Cultists Network (Luke) has a very good understanding of power supplies, and if you read the tier list carefully, it is all referenced and links to reviews that were done by reputed reviewers with extensive experience, such as Aris and Jon, it's just become a point of quick reference because it's a concise and reliable source of information.

With Aris retiring from the professional review business at Tom's, TPU and the other few publications he regularly appeared at to focus on his work at Cybenetics and his own website (Hardware Busters), we have fewer reliable sources than ever. TPU basically stopped doing PSU reviews after Aris quit, that leaves HWBusters and Club386 on my reading list...
:roll: see sig

Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
@dirtyferret
Okay then, riveting discussion, I concede the point and humbly slink back into my garbage container from where I post using an old ThinkPad.

Keyboard Galax Stealth
um yes deal with it I explained all the faults of it already

:roll: see sig

Heavy stuff, man. Didn't mean to put you down like that. Was just trying to have a productive discussion. I feel bad now

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
my garbage container from where I post using an old ThinkPad

Are you me???
ignoring plugs/atx specs for a moment, my real problem is with folks claiming an older unit is "automatically" bad to use, while it comes with a double digit warranty.
I would define them as automatically bad if they are old enough, ie double forward units, and you are using them with modern systems. Computers today are very different than computers even 10 years ago (what with all the boosting and whatnot).

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple proprietary M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple proprietary M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary onboard 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (with latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12 Pro. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Guys, the PSU tier list is a helpful starting point for people like me who don't have the specs to all PSUs memorized. I know this will shock some TPU readers but I actually have better things to do with my time to read exhaustive PSU reviews for weeks and weeks and memorize every single voltage graph or remember that the +5V ripple on Unit A is +0.1% better than Unit B.

And this tier list wasn't assembled by some dilettante.

The better way to approach this is to read the tier list BEFORE acquiring a PSU rather than to buy a PSU and go online to ask people where their new acquisition falls on said list.

It's important to note that all of the PSUs on this tier list are tested new and there is no known metric to predict expected longevity. Maybe the manufacturer's warranty gives a hint but it won't cover natural variances in individual units. And the warranty period might be different in some markets. Does that make that unit worse?

With that in mind, buying an old PSU of unknown provenance really falls outside of the scope of the PSU tier list because we don't know how used/abused the given item is. One can consult the tier list and say "here's where a brand new one sat." We know it's not going to get any better. Sadly there's no odometer for PSUs.

• Used 2005 Toyota Corolla
  • Used 2005 Toyota Corolla, 385K miles
  • Used 2005 Toyota Corolla, 120K miles, original owner with all maintenance records

See any difference?

I know the PSU tier list isn't the Gospels. I'm pretty sure any sane DIY PC enthusiast would agree. It's just a tool like any list of reviews. It's like watching a movie that won the Best Picture Oscar. It was just "liked" by a bunch of members of the Academy. Pretty much the same thing. It's just a way so you don't have to watch dozens of crappy movies to find something halfway decent.

Last edited:
System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Motherboard MSI x570S Unify-X Max
Cooling D5 clone, 280 rad, two F14 + three F12S bottom/intake, two P14S + F14S (Rad) + two F14 (top)
Memory 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance bdie 3600@CL16 1.35v
Video Card(s) GB 2080S WaterForce WB
Storage six M.2 pcie gen 4
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar AE, modded Sennheiser HD 558, Klipsch 2.1 THX
Power Supply Corsair RMx 750w
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
Benchmark Scores TimeSpy score Fire Strike Ultra SuperPosition CB20
@at all
sure, there are better (and newer) units, but fact is, the unit had already been purchased,
so using it for now is still cheaper then trying to sell and getting something different, something that in the end might still not be enough
if the 10y build gets a 5090ti..

Btw selling it is the best thing to do now. If I were him I would put it up for sale with the same price and wait with no rush for similar client. It's rather hard to find a client for whatever used PSU for the price of good and high wattage new one. If Rampage hasn't already done anything bad with his config, it shouldn't in the future. And it's a waste to swap it with such pricey and overpowered replacement. He should have bought something smaller, decent and way cheaper in type of what I sold year ago: XFX TS Gold 650W I bought five years ago for 60 pounds, used if four years and sold for 40 pounds, so the price buying you new ones close to the bottom of the barrel. Having no option to spend more on something new and good, I personally would also prefer used mine or one of the many RMxes buyer should have bought for similar money instead ;)

System Name Pre-10 year plan
Processor i5 10400F
Motherboard B560 Steel Legend
Cooling Corsair H100i 240 AIO
Memory 2 x 8gb Silicon Power DDR4 3200 CL16 RAM
Video Card(s) Acer Predator A770 16gb
Storage Fikwot gen 3 m.2
Display(s) 1 x Benq 27" 4k 60Hz, 1 x AoC 27" 1080 165Hz
Case Thermaltake Level 10 Combat edition
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply AX1200i
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G512
Software Windows 11
Sorry I'm late to the party and I didn't read all three pages of replies.

I need some help with math.

Let me get this straight: OP has purchased a used PSU of an old ATX 2.31 design -- possibly 10-12 years old -- to be installed in a 10-year build that might not get assembled until 2025. When his computer reaches "maturity" in 2035, wouldn't this used PSU be knocking on the door of a quarter century?

Worse, he might be planning on using a graphics card with one of the newer power connectors. That would seem to beg for a newer ATX 3.1 PSU with the revised 12V-2x6 plug (with shorter sense pins) for better safety.

Does that make sense to anyone? Is my math wrong?
The PSU is not part of the 10 year plan, it’s to be used on my current pc till next year. It was my ‘trial’ of a high end psu to see how I got on with something that’s (or was) high end without breaking the bank. It’s currently feeding a 10400f, a selection of hard drives and an ARC770. Corsair link tells me it’s supplying about 340w as I’m playing my current fav game and it’s running at 93% efficiency.
Seems to be very stable at that as well.
Fan isn’t spinning but as I understand it it won’t till it hits 600w output.

On flea bay the AX1200i has several listings between £120 and £130 so I’m confident I can sell it next year or use it to replace one of the other car psus in this household. There’s plenty and some use cheap but (for me) reliable aerocool integrators. Which this might suit.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple proprietary M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple proprietary M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary onboard 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (with latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12 Pro. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
The PSU is not part of the 10 year plan, it’s to be used on my current pc till next year. It was my ‘trial’ of a high end psu to see how I got on with something that’s (or was) high end without breaking the bank. It’s currently feeding a 10400f, a selection of hard drives and an ARC770. Corsair link tells me it’s supplying about 340w as I’m playing my current fav game and it’s running at 93% efficiency.
Seems to be very stable at that as well.
Fan isn’t spinning but as I understand it it won’t till it hits 600w output.
Thank you for the clarification. As I mentioned earlier, I didn't read 3+ pages of replies. I wish you had included the most salient points and detail in your original post, it would have saved many of us lots of time.

Clearly you and I have vastly different strategies on how to plan, assess and select components for a new PC build. Moreover we have different expectations from the end product and how long we hope it will endure. It's your wallet, if you are happy the way you are spending its contents, that's what really matters, isn't it? Since you appear to be satisfied with your approach I will bow out of further discussion on this matter.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Processor i5 10400F
Storage Fikwot gen 3 m.2
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply AX1200i
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G512
Software Windows 11
Or, hear me out.

Don't spend £100 on a 10+ year old PSU.

It's a waste of £100 regardless of how long he's planning on using it.

A literal 1050 W ATX 3.1 rated PSU is £121.

View attachment 347259

Excellent 850 W ATX 3.0/3.1 rated options exist for cheaper or slightly more expensive than £100.

View attachment 347258

Every single one of these options has at least one 16 pin native connector.

View attachment 347260

The entry price is: £90-121.

£100 is not a "saving" of £40, or £20, it's £100 down the drain.

This might sound harsh but this is an excellent example of trying to make use of a "deal" that actually results in money down the drain. The tier of the PSU when it was new is completely irrelevant, it's a 10 year old PSU. That is the stat that is relevant.

For something like, IDK, maybe £40, you could argue "OK, this is probably better than a £40 new PSU", which also won't be ATX 3.0/3.1 certified, but it's still a risk, as it's a 10 year old used PSU.

But £100?
I don’t think it will be, it’s my first try with a psu that is, or was, high end. It’s giving me a good idea of what I want next year. It’s likely to be sellable on flea bay next year for the same as I paid for it- but more likely it will be used in one of the other PCs here as some do have old and cheap psu’s.

what I’ve sussed out from this is I really like the Corsair link and iCUE software. I really like the stop start fan - the graphics card also has that and now, when the pc is used for low graphical tasks I can actually hear the AIO which was something I couldn’t before. I’m now seriously considering removing the AIO and fitting an air cooler which I can set the fans to stop if the cpu is not working hard- I could literally passively cool this pc if not doing graphically intensive tasks.

Processor Ryzen 7800x3d
Motherboard Asus B650e-F Strix
Cooling Corsair H150i Pro
Memory Gskill 32gb 6000 mhz cl30
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage Samsung 980 pro 2tb, Samsung 860 evo 500gb, Samsung 850 evo 1tb, Samsung 860 evo 4tb
Display(s) Acer XB321HK
Case Coolermaster Cosmos 2
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-Fi 5.1 Pro + Logitech Z560
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Win10 pro
I don’t think it will be, it’s my first try with a psu that is, or was, high end. It’s giving me a good idea of what I want next year. It’s likely to be sellable on flea bay next year for the same as I paid for it- but more likely it will be used in one of the other PCs here as some do have old and cheap psu’s.

what I’ve sussed out from this is I really like the Corsair link and iCUE software. I really like the stop start fan - the graphics card also has that and now, when the pc is used for low graphical tasks I can actually hear the AIO which was something I couldn’t before. I’m now seriously considering removing the AIO and fitting an air cooler which I can set the fans to stop if the cpu is not working hard- I could literally passively cool this pc if not doing graphically intensive tasks.

Just gotta have an aio with a pump that can go down to 1000 rpm - which is inaudiable :)

And you do want at least a bit of exhaust to draw the hot air out of the pc - i got aio running at 1000 rpm and rear exhaust fan running at 500 rpm when just browsing etc.

Processor i5 10400F
Storage Fikwot gen 3 m.2
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply AX1200i
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G512
Software Windows 11
I know a few of you (a lot of you) have said I should have bought a shiny new mid range psu instead of this and I get what your saying but I never have the funds for anything high end, it’s just not how this household works. Buying low to mid range or second hand is how my own PCs end up being. Events built to sell (usually to order) are in the budget end of the spectrum, they just tell me what games tgey want to play, what they can afford and I just make it happen.
In this instance I wanted to see what a high end psu looks and feels like. The seller seemed pretty genuine (as all second hand car salesmen are) and my research showed the reviews to be positive.
Physically the unit really is spotless with all the added extras that came with it. Really is dust free in there to the point I think they would have been hard pushed to clean it to that point without dismantling it- which I don’t believe they have. I suspect it’s never been pushed hard enough to make the fan spin- maybe I should test that! It’s not likely to get too much use here as while my graphics card is a bit of a power hog, it ain’t going to push this psu around!

if I’d bought a new mid range 750w psu it would have just been another psu. This one has given me a lot of food for thought for the big build.

It's just part of some one year forward planning :D
Indirectly it’s part of the 10yp. It’s my first play with a high end psu, or at least once it was. And it’s a very clean example so im fairly hopeful it still has many years ahead of it. Had anyone here said it was xx tier I would have likely aimed for that tier as my purchase next year. I think though that it would have probably sat in tier 1 so it’s likely the purchase will be something like the AX series of Corsair

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7800x3d
Motherboard Asus B650e-F Strix
Cooling Corsair H150i Pro
Memory Gskill 32gb 6000 mhz cl30
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage Samsung 980 pro 2tb, Samsung 860 evo 500gb, Samsung 850 evo 1tb, Samsung 860 evo 4tb
Display(s) Acer XB321HK
Case Coolermaster Cosmos 2
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-Fi 5.1 Pro + Logitech Z560
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Win10 pro
I know a few of you (a lot of you) have said I should have bought a shiny new mid range psu instead of this and I get what your saying but I never have the funds for anything high end, it’s just not how this household works. Buying low to mid range or second hand is how my own PCs end up being. Events built to sell (usually to order) are in the budget end of the spectrum, they just tell me what games tgey want to play, what they can afford and I just make it happen.
In this instance I wanted to see what a high end psu looks and feels like. The seller seemed pretty genuine (as all second hand car salesmen are) and my research showed the reviews to be positive.
Physically the unit really is spotless with all the added extras that came with it. Really is dust free in there to the point I think they would have been hard pushed to clean it to that point without dismantling it- which I don’t believe they have. I suspect it’s never been pushed hard enough to make the fan spin- maybe I should test that! It’s not likely to get too much use here as while my graphics card is a bit of a power hog, it ain’t going to push this psu around!

if I’d bought a new mid range 750w psu it would have just been another psu. This one has given me a lot of food for thought for the big build.

Indirectly it’s part of the 10yp. It’s my first play with a high end psu, or at least once it was. And it’s a very clean example so im fairly hopeful it still has many years ahead of it. Had anyone here said it was xx tier I would have likely aimed for that tier as my purchase next year. I think though that it would have probably sat in tier 1 so it’s likely the purchase will be something like the AX series of Corsair

Yeah, corsair AX series is as high quality as it gets.

Personally i've been holding out for corsair to update their lineup with atx 3.0 AX models, but they are taking their sweet time...

Once again I don't want to be rude, but once again it would be useful to you. Remembering your 10y build thread and now looking at this one shows tendency of you coming here with some bad ideas, getting plethora of negative opinions and then changing your narration to you being understood wrong way. To something not really fitting what you said before, so really inconvincing or fancy. This time having no problem to use for a while, but now wanting to replace unpopular unit (with something completely over the top and just awfully expensive for such goal) and next "getting a feeling of highend PSU". Man, it's clearly visible tendency, so just don't ever do it ;)

Or maybe now it's time to explain what does "feeling highend PSU" mean and why it's so important to you?

Processor i5 10400F
Storage Fikwot gen 3 m.2
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply AX1200i
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G512
Software Windows 11
Once again I don't want to be rude, but once again it would be useful to you. Remembering your 10y build thread and now looking at this one shows tendency of you coming here with some bad ideas, getting plethora of negative opinions and then changing your narration to you being understood wrong way. To something not really fitting what you said before, so really inconvincing or fancy. This time having no problem to use for a while, but now wanting to replace unpopular unit (with something completely over the top and just awfully expensive for such goal) and next "getting a feeling of highend PSU". Man, it's clearly visible tendency, so just don't ever do it ;)

Or maybe now it's time to explain what does "feeling highend PSU" mean and why it's so important to you?
I’ve never had a high end psu before. It’s simple as that. My narrative hasn’t changed, I purchased this as part of my planned build next year. Wasn’t sure if I’d use it in that build or not, but thought it unlikely due to its age. I didn’t understand about ATX2.3 v ATX3 until it was pointed out to me and I have since researched that and can see that’s a likely need.
in the past I’ve always made do with whatever relatively cheap or second hand psu I can find. In my many years of pc building experience I’ve had very few fail- maybe just lucky or maybe my hardware requirements have been less than demanding. Or maybe simply a of doesn’t stay with me long enough- I do swap and change my builds a lot. Last fairly high end pc I had was a Ryzen 3800X, 16gb, RTX3070. Think that had an Antec 750w psu?

so getting back to your point, what do I mean by ‘feeling high end psu’ mean? Just that I wanted to get a feel for the difference in quality, size ( to some respects) and what additional features a high end psu has.
My current pc doesn’t necessarily need it (though the A770 does have quite a power draw) but this AX psu has been quite an eye opener for me.

I don't get why ppl still give OP crap for it tbh.

OP already has the PSU. It might not have been optimal purchase, and it'd be better to ask BEFORE purchasing, but as long as isn't faulty, I say "enjoy your purchase!"

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Motherboard MSI x570S Unify-X Max
Cooling D5 clone, 280 rad, two F14 + three F12S bottom/intake, two P14S + F14S (Rad) + two F14 (top)
Memory 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance bdie 3600@CL16 1.35v
Video Card(s) GB 2080S WaterForce WB
Storage six M.2 pcie gen 4
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar AE, modded Sennheiser HD 558, Klipsch 2.1 THX
Power Supply Corsair RMx 750w
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
Benchmark Scores TimeSpy score Fire Strike Ultra SuperPosition CB20
@Desktopstu
might wanna check the corsair sw to tweak the fan/pump profile on th aio.
while they usually expect unthrottled power from the fan port, iirc there is the option to adjust for most of their coolers.

turning it down is ok, but even if cpu and gpu where LC, i would still not recommend not having any airflow,
be it from aio or case, just to make sure other stuff doesnt get unnecessary warm (mb/drives).

@ExcuseMeWtf
why its one thing to recommend/give opinions, unless "we" are the ones paying for it, i still say its up to the user
to decide what they want to do, even if not optimal.

the same way no one will tell anyone to not buy a pink bike for their child/close relative,
just because they dont like the color, or because a different color would be cheaper or better for resale.

I’ve never had a high end psu before. It’s simple as that. My narrative hasn’t changed, I purchased this as part of my planned build next year. Wasn’t sure if I’d use it in that build or not, but thought it unlikely due to its age. I didn’t understand about ATX2.3 v ATX3 until it was pointed out to me and I have since researched that and can see that’s a likely need.
in the past I’ve always made do with whatever relatively cheap or second hand psu I can find. In my many years of pc building experience I’ve had very few fail- maybe just lucky or maybe my hardware requirements have been less than demanding. Or maybe simply a of doesn’t stay with me long enough- I do swap and change my builds a lot. Last fairly high end pc I had was a Ryzen 3800X, 16gb, RTX3070. Think that had an Antec 750w psu?

I won't bother discussing about your narrative, because it doesn't make sense. With whatever quality PSUs it's simple as that: PSU is more likely to cause problems the more you push it and the older it gets. Compared to possible consequences and even price of adequate PSU next to price of components it runs, trying to save here by going cheap one or keep owned forever is just irrational.

so getting back to your point, what do I mean by ‘feeling high end psu’ mean? Just that I wanted to get a feel for the difference in quality, size ( to some respects) and what additional features a high end psu has.
My current pc doesn’t necessarily need it (though the A770 does have quite a power draw) but this AX psu has been quite an eye opener for me.

But what exactly do you mean? I didn't expected to hear about it having some highend aspects, because I obviously asked about their examples ;) Especially given this "eye opening" being confusing to the point of being intriguing :D

Processor i5 10400F
Storage Fikwot gen 3 m.2
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply AX1200i
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G512
Software Windows 11
@Desktopstu
might wanna check the corsair sw to tweak the fan/pump profile on th aio.
while they usually expect unthrottled power from the fan port, iirc there is the option to adjust for most of their coolers.

turning it down is ok, but even if cpu and gpu where LC, i would still not recommend not having any airflow,
be it from aio or case, just to make sure other stuff doesnt get unnecessary warm (mb/drives).

@ExcuseMeWtf
why its one thing to recommend/give opinions, unless "we" are the ones paying for it, i still say its up to the user
to decide what they want to do, even if not optimal.

the same way no one will tell anyone to not buy a pink bike for their child/close relative,
just because they dont like the color, or because a different color would be cheaper or better for resale.
The case is an elderly but in excellent condition (unlike me) Thermaltake level 10 combat edition, with 200mm inlet fan to the front and 200mm fan to the side that can be directed towards the gpu or elsewhere by means of lever action louvers. There’s a 140mm exhaust fan and I managed to fit the AIO to the roof of the case that had space for a 140 fan.
The case fans turn quite leisurely and while quiet could be better do I may be swapping out the 200s for noctuas and the 140 for an iCue fan. I know the noctua are 30mm thick and this may cause an issue but as always, I’ve got a bit of a plan….

I won't bother discussing about your narrative, because it doesn't make sense. With whatever quality PSUs it's simple as that: PSU is more likely to cause problems the more you push it and the older it gets. Compared to possible consequences and even price of adequate PSU next to price of components it runs, trying to save here by going cheap one or keep owned forever is just irrational.

But what exactly do you mean? I didn't expected to hear about it having some highend aspects, because I obviously asked about their examples ;) Especially given this "eye opening" being confusing to the point of being intriguing :D
What do I mean about eye opening? Here’s a few of the points I’ve taken from this little trip into the unknown…

ATX3 v ATX 2.3 is a potential issue i had not considered.
The weight of this psu is quite amazing. If I’d used an older style case with psu at the top this would have been very impractical.
The cabling available to this (and other high end psu’s) is impressive, not something I’ve encountered before- this is the first time I’ve been able to use seperate cables to feed the two power connectors on my gpu.
Stop start fans on psu’s, is this just a high end psu thing? I had no idea it existed! And it affects the orientation of the psu, something I had not considered.
The dimensions of the psu. I’m used to psu’s with 120mm fans being fairly cube like- this psu is simply massive. My old case has a sort of runner guide for the psu to sit in and I had a devil of a job to get it in there. Length wasn’t too much of an issue as this case really is big. But I’m I’m not mistaken the AX is wider than a typical psu? Of am I imagining that? Think it’s got a 130mm fan? Is it typical for a high end psu to be this size?
The software that comes with this allowing to observe and record power flows on different rails and monitor power in versus power out is really interesting snd for me useful, is this usual for a high end psu?

so yes, it’s been an eye opener and I’m very happy with my purchase. Its surpassed all I could have expected, save for the fact that feedback here has convinced me that its age, as I already suspected, would preclude it being used in the 10yp. I definitely want something like this (but new) though for next year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.