• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What's your preferred DLSS config?

What's your preferred DLSS config?

• Native (DLSS disabled)

Votes: 8,245 53.3%
  • Native + Frame Generation

Votes: 735 4.7%
  • DLAA

Votes: 1,223 7.9%
  • DLAA + Frame Generation

Votes: 1,023 6.6%
  • Upscaling

Votes: 2,014 13.0%
  • Upscaling + Frame Generation

Votes: 1,351 8.7%
  • FSR (on NVIDIA)

Votes: 887 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I prefer native, but upscaling is alright when it's done properly. Some games actually have higher graphics quality when upscaled, so that's a win-win! Frame generation can fuck right off. Sure, the FPS counter goes up, but the latency does too. The main reason I'm chasing higher performance in games is to get that latency down, so frame generation is counterproductive.

System Name Gentoo64 /w Cold Coffee
Processor 9900K 5.2GHz @1.312v
Motherboard MXI APEX
Cooling Raystorm Pro + 1260mm Super Nova
Memory 2x16GB TridentZ 4000-14-14-28-2T @1.6v
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 LiquidX Barrow 3015MHz @1.1v
Storage 660P 1TB, 860 QVO 2TB
Display(s) LG C1 + Predator XB1 QHD
Case Open Benchtable V2
Audio Device(s) SB X-Fi
Power Supply MSI A1000G
Mouse G502
Keyboard G815
Software Gentoo/Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Always only ever very fast
DLDSR: 5120x1920 up-scaled from 3430x1286 downscaled to 3840x1440

Processor Ryzen 5 7600X
Motherboard Asus Proart B650
Cooling Noctua U12S
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 32GB (2x16GB) 5600MHz C36 AMD Expo
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7800 XT Nitro+
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 1Tb
Case Fractal Design Pop Silent
Audio Device(s) Edifier r1900tII
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Platinum 650W
DLSS/FSR don't exist to me aside from writing this sentence.

I much prefer Native with no form of upscaling or framegen. That's why I bought AMD.
Upscaling and framegen only come in the picture if having a high refreshrate is preferable (immersive games) and because the game just runs like absolute ass.
Definitely not by choice.

Edit: I just realized it's specifically targeted to Nvidia owners lol. @W1zzard maybe add an option "I have AMD" or add AMD options. I think you'll get more AMD users that'll vote native which skews the results.
oh yea I guess I also fell into this trap. But I did and would do the same if I had Nvidia as well.

Processor intel 12700k
Motherboard asus
Cooling noctua d15s
Memory 64gb
Video Card(s) 4090
Storage 4tb m.2
Display(s) 27" 1440p 240hz oled
Case fractal define s
Audio Device(s) minidsp shd studio and hifi speakers
Software windows 11
I prefer native, but upscaling is alright when it's done properly. Some games actually have higher graphics quality when upscaled, so that's a win-win! Frame generation can fuck right off. Sure, the FPS counter goes up, but the latency does too. The main reason I'm chasing higher performance in games is to get that latency down, so frame generation is counterproductive.
frame gen is nice to have, but the best result i got from is in robocop, 130 fps to 240 fps, still not enough baseline fps to have low inputlag. but when i get a hold of 360hz monitors and beyond, 200fps should be a great starting point for frame gen having no drawbacks and giving great smoothness.

Native 95% of the time.
If I'm just messing around in a game I might enable it just to save some power and cool things down a little, especially with summer coming and I don't
have an air con in my room for the 30+ days that are starting to hit Cape town.

There are to many visual glitches with DLSS, when you look for them. So I avoid it as often as I can.

Even lower DLSS presets look better than native (with TAA) in most games. I believe people voting for native just do it because of the feeling to have the game rendering at that resolution and not because of the image quality at hand.

System Name Hulk
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X670E-F Gaming Wi-Fi
Cooling Custom water
Memory 32GB 3600 CL18
Video Card(s) 4090
Display(s) LG 42C2 + Gigabyte Aorus FI32U 32" 4k 120Hz IPS
Case Corsair 750D
Power Supply beQuiet Dark Power Pro 1200W
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 700
Keyboard Logitech G815 GL-Tactile
VR HMD Quest 2
People, please, native + DLAA is clearly the right answer! I remember first trying DLAA on ESO & being amazed that it actually almost entirely fixes the games aliasing issues at the cost of very slightly less crisp textures. Worse in stills, but WAY better when moving around. Now it's not that night & day in other games I've tried it in, but it's still usually my preferred since most games have some rubbish TAA applied which you can't disable so sticking DLAA on hides the issues with a lot of games' "native" presentation.

Personally I've yet to play something where DLSS hasn't looked too blurry for my tastes. It's fantastic as an option if you can't get the frame rate you want, but I personally would rather play a game with Medium settings native res (+ DLAA if it's an option), than Ultra settings + DLSS.

Edit: useful background info is I'm playing at 4k on a 42" OLED on a large desk, so it's perhaps easier to spot DLSS' negatives at that size & that close.

D

Deleted member 182555

fsr performance (720p) + dsr 1440p on 1080p tv, much better than fsr quality 1080p...

Even lower DLSS presets look better than native (with TAA) in most games. I believe people voting for native just do it because of the feeling to have the game rendering at that resolution and not because of the image quality at hand.
Well I can tell you that your wrong, when I had my 6800xt I played Cyberpunk with the res at 4k and then using slider that set it to 85% of that res so it would stay at 60fps.
When they did the update that removed the slider in favour of lowering the res to then try and "improve" it, I was annoyed.
The game was much better with just a -15% on the set res.

I have never seen any improvement in the picture quality when using FSR or DLSS.

System Name Hulk
Processor 7800X3D
Cooling Custom water
Memory 32GB 3600 CL18
Video Card(s) 4090
Case Corsair 750D
VR HMD Quest 2
Well I can tell you that your wrong, when I had my 6800xt I played Cyberpunk with the res at 4k and then using slider that set it to 85% of that res so it would stay at 60fps.
When they did the update that removed the slider in favour of lowering the res to then try and "improve" it, I was annoyed.
The game was much better with just a -15% on the set res.

I have never seen any improvement in the picture quality when using FSR or DLSS.
Your example is FSR though, for most games DLSS is noticeably better looking (especially in motion) than FSR. Sad though that is as I much prefer tech every vendor can use equally, it's the truth.

Your example is FSR though, for most games DLSS is noticeably better looking (especially in motion) than FSR. Sad though that is as I much prefer tech every vendor can use equally, it's the truth.
My current card is a 4090 and DLSS still doesn't look better than native, at least with Cyberpunk and a few indie games I have played.
Just the other day while using DLSS in Cyberpunk there was a scene where a moving object didn't keep it's shape when moving through a small gap.
I tested the scene without DLSS and it kept its basic shape. It looked like DLSS couldn't work out what it was properly in the small gap.

I would rather run with a slighlty lower res than use DLSS or FSR.
As a tech to lower the GPU temps and power consumption when my room is reaching 30 degrees, it's great.

Processor 5800X3D -30 CO
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling DeepCool Assassin III
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V @ 3800 CL14
Video Card(s) ASRock MBA 7900XTX
Storage 1TB WD SN850X + 1TB ADATA SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell S2721QS 4K60
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced USB 3.0
Audio Device(s) Audiotrak Prodigy Cube Black (JRC MUSES 8820D) + CAL (recabled)
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750
Mouse Logitech Cordless Desktop Wave
Keyboard Logitech Cordless Desktop Wave
Software Windows 10 Pro
"Deep Learning", "AI Powered", "Anti-lag", "Fluid Frames", "Ray Reconstruction", "Reflex", "FidelityFX" are nothing more than marketing labels to me.

I play my games at native resolutions. I don't need to rely on fancy gimmicks to actually enjoy them. If performance is lacking, I experiment with the settings to find the optimal balance.

Talk to me in real numbers, not gobbledygook.

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz all 8 cores.
Motherboard Asus Prime H370M Plus
Cooling Arctic Cooler Freezer 12
Memory 64GB Micron dual-channel @ 2666MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX 4090 OC
Storage 5TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) LG C3 42'' 4K OLED Display
Case AeroCool
Audio Device(s) Realtek + Edifier R1900T II + Sony Subwoofer
Power Supply MSi MPG A850G 850W
Mouse Multilaser MO277
Keyboard T-Dagger Destroyer (mechanical)
Software Windows 11 Pro Beta Ring
I know there are lots of nay sayers to DLSS here, but IMO the technology is evolving so fast that soon it'll become very difficult to see the difference between native and upscaled.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
All rendering is based on tricks and hacks that have been added over time, DLSS and frame generation is just another one. But why make the GPU work harder when it’s unnecessary, at native res even at 4K you may get shimmering artefacts or aliasing on some objects, if DLSS solves this while providing the same, if not better than native res in some cases all while making it easier for the GPU to render which can mean lower power consumption, a quieter card all while still having a great image then it’s just stupid not to use it.

Why work harder when you can work smarter. DLSS has come a long way since it first came out with that vaseline looking mess and it's getting better all the time. If we want visuals to take a big leap now instead of waiting another 5 to 10yrs to get the same performance at native when doing things like path tracing then DLSS and frame generation are necessary.

DLSS and Frame-gen don't really get rid of all artifacts and they introduce their own. Frame-generation adds input lag so no thank you, I'll not subscribe to your notion that these should be integral technologies used across the board. I'll gouge my eyes out before being forced to use frame gen.

I know there are lots of nay sayers to DLSS here, but IMO the technology is evolving so fast that soon it'll become very difficult to see the difference between native and upscaled.

Is it? There hasn't been any significant improvements since DLSS 2.0. I think the fact that DLSS 3.5 regards ray tracing and 3.0 regards frame-generation clearly signals that they have more or less squeezed most of what they can out of up-scaling and have moved onto other things. After all there are limitations to what an AI can guess.

System Name -
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 (4x140 push-pull)
Memory 32GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3733 (8GBx4)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4080 X-trio.
Storage Sabrent Rocket-Plus-G 2TB, Crucial P1 1TB, WD 1TB sata.
Display(s) LG Ultragear 34G750 nano-IPS 34" utrawide
Case Define R6
Audio Device(s) Xfi PCIe
Power Supply Fractal Design ION Gold 750W
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 Mini.
Keyboard Logitech K120
VR HMD Er no, pointless.
Software Windows 10 22H2
Benchmark Scores Timespy - 24522 | Crystalmark - 7100/6900 Seq. & 84/266 QD1 |
where is the option, it depends on the game? as there isnt one options fits all.

maxime506

I use DLSS upscaling and Frame Generation whenever possible since my monitor runs at a high refresh rate, at 175hz. A trick with quality is that instead of using DLAA, using DLDSR 2.25x with DLSS Performance plus Frame Generation (Balance or Quality if you still have room to spare) achieves better image quality with minimum fps loss

System Name Hulk
Processor 7800X3D
Cooling Custom water
Memory 32GB 3600 CL18
Video Card(s) 4090
Case Corsair 750D
VR HMD Quest 2
I use DLSS upscaling and Frame Generation whenever possible since my monitor runs at a high refresh rate, at 175hz. A trick with quality is that instead of using DLAA, using DLDSR 2.25x with DLSS Performance plus Frame Generation (Balance or Quality if you still have room to spare) achieves better image quality with minimum fps loss
This sounds so bizarre...I must try it :D

System Name THU
Processor Intel Core i5-13600KF
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z790-P D4
Cooling SilentiumPC Fortis 3 v2 + Arctic Cooling MX-2
Memory Crucial Ballistix 2x16 GB DDR4-3600 CL16 (dual rank)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4070 Ventus 3X OC 12 GB GDDR6X (2610/21000 @ 0.91 V)
Storage Lexar NM790 2 TB + Corsair MP510 960 GB + PNY XLR8 CS3030 500 GB + Toshiba E300 3 TB
Display(s) LG OLED C8 55" + ASUS VP229Q
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V381 + Monitor Audio Bronze 6 + Bronze FX | FiiO E10K-TC + Sony MDR-7506
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Mouse Logitech M705 Marathon
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 10 Home
Benchmark Scores Benchmarks in 2024?
DLAA if the game isn't demanding (I've only used it in Forza Horizon 5).

DLSS Quality otherwise, as it looks better than regular TAA in every game I've played, at least in 4K. DLSS Performance also looks very good in 4K and I'd absolutely use it to enable RTGI or path tracing (I've used it in Metro Exodus and Dying Light 2).

Native 4K is just a waste of processing power (and actual power). It only makes sense if you don't have to lower any settings, and there's no DLSS available.

maxime506

This sounds so bizarre...I must try it :D
You won't regret it haha. The trick here is to upscale the graphics before applying DLSS. Since the output is higher than native and DLSS is able to preserve the perception, you'll get better looking graphics. Based on my experience DLDSR 2.25x plus DLSS Performance has the same FPS as native while balance and quality will lower the fps but produces even better quality

System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
I can see this thread being closed due to hostilities in the near future.:fear:

On topic: as an ex-Nvidia user (I still have Nvidia parts in my HTPCs and on the shelf, I just don't game on them anymore), I have to say, native is always better than DLSS, unless one doesn't have the performance to run it. Why this is even a question is beyond me.

As for DLAA, I have no experience.

Last edited:
System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
People, please, native + DLAA is clearly the right answer! I remember first trying DLAA on ESO & being amazed that it actually almost entirely fixes the games aliasing issues at the cost of very slightly less crisp textures. Worse in stills, but WAY better when moving around. Now it's not that night & day in other games I've tried it in, but it's still usually my preferred since most games have some rubbish TAA applied which you can't disable so sticking DLAA on hides the issues with a lot of games' "native" presentation.

Personally I've yet to play something where DLSS hasn't looked too blurry for my tastes. It's fantastic as an option if you can't get the frame rate you want, but I personally would rather play a game with Medium settings native res (+ DLAA if it's an option), than Ultra settings + DLSS.

Edit: useful background info is I'm playing at 4k on a 42" OLED on a large desk, so it's perhaps easier to spot DLSS' negatives at that size & that close.
So DLAA is a shimmering fix? (which the only other AA I seen do that in past is SGSSAA), thats amazing if true.

I am not a big fan of TAA, its crazy how AA got worse over the years.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
DLAA if the game isn't demanding (I've only used it in Forza Horizon 5).

DLSS Quality otherwise, as it looks better than regular TAA in every game I've played, at least in 4K. DLSS Performance also looks very good in 4K and I'd absolutely use it to enable RTGI or path tracing (I've used it in Metro Exodus and Dying Light 2).

Native 4K is just a waste of processing power (and actual power). It only makes sense if you don't have to lower any settings, and there's no DLSS available.

That's my take too, if the option is there is often a no-brainer to use as it enables the use of higher graphic settings whilst also bringing higher framerates with little or no image quality loss. For games like Death Stranding it's actually essential.

Nice option to have frankly either way.

System Name Hulk
Processor 7800X3D
Cooling Custom water
Memory 32GB 3600 CL18
Video Card(s) 4090
Case Corsair 750D
VR HMD Quest 2
So DLAA is a shimmering fix? (which the only other AA I seen do that in past is SGSSAA), thats amazing if true.

I am not a big fan of TAA, its crazy how AA got worse over the years.
At least in ESO it is! Well, complete fix might be overselling it, but it's a big improvement. There must be some comparison videos lurking about. I'm fully with you on TAA generally looking like trash, & yes I'm sure default AA techniques have actually gotten worse over the last few years!

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
At least in ESO it is! Well, complete fix might be overselling it, but it's a big improvement. There must be some comparison videos lurking about. I'm fully with you on TAA generally looking like trash, & yes I'm sure default AA techniques have actually gotten worse over the last few years!
Can it be forced on in driver like DLDSR or is it needing devs to implement it?