• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cooler Master PSU help

System Name ---
Processor FX 8350 @ 4.00 Ghz with 1.28v
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 v4.0, Hacked Bios F4.x
Cooling Silenx 4 pipe Tower cooler + 2 x Cougar 120mm fan, 3 x 120mm, 1 x 200 mm Red LED fan
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866 16GB + Patriot Memory DDR3 1866 16GB
Video Card(s) Asus R9 290 OC @ GPU - 1050, MEM - 1300
Storage Inland 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD for OS, WDC Black - 2TB + 1TB Storage, Inland 480GB SSD - Games
Display(s) 3 x 1080P LCDs - Acer 25" + Acer 23" + HP 23"
Case AeroCool XPredator X3
Audio Device(s) Built-in Realtek
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Modular
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
PSU - COOLER MASTER eXtreme RP-500-PCAR 500W

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171018

Based on the sticker it seems like manufactured by Seventeam (E141400)

Based on the TPU (Pancho's) PSU guide Seventeam is supposed to be a good OEM manufacturer of PSUs.

Now here is the problem -

Bought this PSU like 1.5 yrs ago. Working great till now. But the Fan is like a Jumbo Jet when the PSU is under load and like a V8 engine when not. It was on the guest computer so to annoy them is perfect:D

Now I am rebuilding my home server and need to replace the 350w Ultra (ultra quiet one) with more watts. The server is going to run a Phenom 9500 (earlier it was running BE2400 45w cpu), i need more cores for my project.

So I thought if I make the PSU quiet, it will hold me for a while. So got brave and opened up the PSU grill to reach the fan inside and unplugged it. Replaced with a high cfm quiet Xigmatek 120mm fan. The fan that came out is 2 pin and the new one is 3 pin, i managed to connect the right pins and the fan is super quiet, but it spins with low rpm.

So when the PSU is powered on and the phenom sucks juice to start, the air that comes out of the PSU is not really warm, but that warm hardware smell is there. When I put the Phenom under load, the fan seems to increase rpm and i can feel the air coming, this time bit warmer and more warm hardware smell. I don't remember smelling this before replacing the fan and when in use 6 months ago.

So did I mess something up? Is the PSU going to die? Should I just put in a better PSU? Or is this normal for those CM PSUs.

I have a brand new Antec Trio 430W that needs to go to a customer, should I put that in?

Also is this Corsair 400W a good one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008

My system absolute load will not be more than 300W (used with Kill-A-Watt).

Just need it to be Quiet, Stable and long running.

Specs:
Abit mobo powering Phenom 9500 @2.6Ghz, 1.27V
8GB DDR2 800 Ram
1 IDE drive for OS
2 SATA for storage and Virtuals
1 PCI-E X600SE Video card
1 Samsung DVDRW
1 AeroCool Coolwatch fan controlling and temp monitoring guage.
1 PCI Gig Nic Card
1 PCI SATA card
1 Coolermaster 120mm Rear Blue LED fan
1 Coolermaster 120mm Front regular fan
All in Coolermaster Elite 335 case with loads of airflow.

Can someone help me on this. Sorry for the long explanation.

Thanks,

:toast:

CH@NO

System Name Thank God you're back!!!
Processor Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.1GHz (stock)
Motherboard ECS H67H2-M3
Cooling Stock + 1 X 80mm Thermaltake red LED
Memory 1 X 4 GB Kingston 1333MHz DDR3
Video Card(s) coming soon
Storage 1TB Seagate SATAII + 500GB Hitachi USB (External)
Display(s) Samsung 20" LED Widescreen
Case coming soon
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek HD 6ch Audio
Power Supply Generic 450W with 20A on the 12v+ rail
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores coming soon
I currently use a CM 550W PSU, It's from the same line as yours and you're correct, was maded from SevenTeam.

I don't need to change the fan, for me It runs quitely and well, If I stress the system It start to make it loud but still not too much, AND I can feel the air blow from it kinda hard (idle and more at load, on both the air is warm/normal) so the fan does It's duty very nice.

You shouldn't messed with the fan, I think the stock one came tunned to run at determinated speed under certain load, when you changed it maybe the new fan don't run at the required speed, so the PSU heats up more.

Better to reverse that fan mod. I did a fan mode a years ago, changed the fan of a generic PSU ('cause it was very loudly, doesn't have speed control, so the fan ran at 100% everytime) for a Thunderblade of TT, the PSU died a month later 'cause It heated up a LOT more, even at IDLE the air were much hotter.

Hope I've been clear, my english isn't so good, I'm from Mexico.

System Name ---
Processor FX 8350 @ 4.00 Ghz with 1.28v
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 v4.0, Hacked Bios F4.x
Cooling Silenx 4 pipe Tower cooler + 2 x Cougar 120mm fan, 3 x 120mm, 1 x 200 mm Red LED fan
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866 16GB + Patriot Memory DDR3 1866 16GB
Video Card(s) Asus R9 290 OC @ GPU - 1050, MEM - 1300
Storage Inland 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD for OS, WDC Black - 2TB + 1TB Storage, Inland 480GB SSD - Games
Display(s) 3 x 1080P LCDs - Acer 25" + Acer 23" + HP 23"
Case AeroCool XPredator X3
Audio Device(s) Built-in Realtek
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Modular
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
I currently use a CM 550W PSU, It's from the same line as yours and you're correct, was maded from SevenTeam.

I don't need to change the fan, for me It runs quitely and well, If I stress the system It start to make it loud but still not too much, AND I can feel the air blow from it kinda hard (idle and more at load, on both the air is warm/normal) so the fan does It's duty very nice.

You shouldn't messed with the fan, I think the stock one came tunned to run at determinated speed under certain load, when you changed it maybe the new fan don't run at the required speed, so the PSU heats up more.

Better to reverse that fan mod. I did a fan mode a years ago, changed the fan of a generic PSU ('cause it was very loudly, doesn't have speed control, so the fan ran at 100% everytime) for a Thunderblade of TT, the PSU died a month later 'cause It heated up a LOT more, even at IDLE the air were much hotter.

Hope I've been clear, my english isn't so good, I'm from Mexico.

Thanks for your input, I think I am going to use the Antec instead.

BTW, your english is really good, not joking.

:toast:

CH@NO

System Name Thank God you're back!!!
Processor Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.1GHz (stock)
Motherboard ECS H67H2-M3
Cooling Stock + 1 X 80mm Thermaltake red LED
Memory 1 X 4 GB Kingston 1333MHz DDR3
Video Card(s) coming soon
Storage 1TB Seagate SATAII + 500GB Hitachi USB (External)
Display(s) Samsung 20" LED Widescreen
Case coming soon
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek HD 6ch Audio
Power Supply Generic 450W with 20A on the 12v+ rail
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores coming soon