• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Some question's about changing the GPU bios ?

DannyBoy

Hi guys, i have the Sapphire HD4870 X2 GPU with 011.007.000.000.029564 bios version, i read some articles here about changing the bios so i can get better OC results and better performance from the card, i read all the tutorials on how to do it so technically im familiar with the process and i pretty sure i can do it without problems, my only question is which is the BEST bios for my card ??

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
It depends on the situation. I remember an issue with a certain line of 5850's were flashing the BIOS to a different brand name fixed some flickering issues. Also people do it to permanently OC a card. Since the factory using does a lot of testing and setup new rules for the fan speeds for their OC'ed cards, it is a safer bet than manually doing it.

BIOS flashes also helped with heat issues for the 4000 series by just setting the fan's normal operating range to a higher level since they were programmed not to go over 40% speed by default.

I have not heard of any one flashing the bios to improve OC results other than the fan tweaking which is BIOS editing, not flashing. For that card, I doubt it would change the OC results since it will still be the same hardware, same fan settings, and same default clock speeds (as I don't recall any pre-factor OCed 4870 X2).

I would suggest using a BIOS editor and changing the Idle, In Use, and maximum fan speeds. Then just OC it the same way you have before. With the improved cooling you should be able to go a little further.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Technically, isnt the correct question which are the correct bios'?

If I'm thinking correctly, the X2 has a master and slave bios, and both need to be present for the flash to work correctly;)

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
Technically, isnt the correct question which are the correct bios'?

If I'm thinking correctly, the X2 has a master and slave bios, and both need to be present for the flash to work correctly;)

Very true and multiply copies of both are available right here on TPU in the GPU BIOS section.