• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Win7 remote desktop software! (Not the native)

shevanel

My daughter was away and she had trouble with something on her laptop that we couldn't solve over the phone so I had to remote desktop he machine to get it fixed...

While I have used the Windows XP RDC before.. one look at it again on W7 made me cringe!

I looked on goog and found a nice, simple, free ap called Teamviewer and I was connected instantly to her PC once she gave me the 2 codes I needed to connect...

My question is, Is there any program that could be installed on both machine that would allow me to remote her PC without having to go through steps, just open and connect?

The teamv is great if were both at our PC but I would like something that could be used without logging in each time, without passing codes or having to accept the connection once it's all setup?

So yeah, as far as remote desktop software what would be the golden egg?

System Name Old Skool
Processor E6750 @ 3.6 ghz
Motherboard GA P35 DS3L
Cooling Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283v
Memory 4gb Kingston DDR2 @ 900mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 9800GT 512MB
Storage SAMSUNG 320gb
Display(s) VIEWSONIC vx2260wm
Case HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Realtek (on board) + Logitech x540
Power Supply CM 550w
Software W7 Ultimate 64
Try out vnc, its pretty good imho.

Processor Q9550 @3.8
Motherboard Asus Maximus Extreme
Cooling Custom water cooling
Memory 4GB Patriot Viper DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) 2x HD4870 512MB
Storage 2x 500GB
Display(s) 3x LG L226WTQ 22" Widescreen LCD
Case Modded TJ07
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply PC P&C Silencer 750
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
I use UltraVNC for my PC's at home.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
i use showmyPC. its free not an installer. the issue is its temp. idk if thats what your looking for but i use it to work on friends PC's when their away and they dont pay me enough to drive out :p both people need to DL it but its pretty cool stuff and has some neat features. on their web page it has DL link for user and host pc. but either exacutable works. you simply select if your the person looking or showing. the person showing has to IM you the code but its pretty nifty.

shevanel

i use showmyPC. its free not an installer. the issue is its temp. idk if thats what your looking for but i use it to work on friends PC's when their away and they dont pay me enough to drive out :p both people need to DL it but its pretty cool stuff and has some neat features. on their web page it has DL link for user and host pc. but either exacutable works. you simply select if your the person looking or showing. the person showing has to IM you the code but its pretty nifty.

thats similar to teamviewer.. you download, after running the ap you have the option for a complete install or directly running without installing, which is what we did.. then it gives you a code like 343-223-455 and a 3 digit pin, both completely random with each connection which requires humans to be at both ends of the line... maybe i should see what the install version has to offer.. I don't expect it to be any diff.. maybe a better interface?

I remember using ultraVNC.. and I think that was the ap I was looking for before I tried T.V ... I fogot the name of the UVNC ap at the time...

I'll check it out. Can you tell me if it allows the remote pc to be without it's user as long as the software is installed and setup?

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
thats similar to teamviewer.. you download, after running the ap you have the option for a complete install or directly running without installing, which is what we did.. then it gives you a code like 343-223-455 and a 3 digit pin, both completely random with each connection which requires humans to be at both ends of the line... maybe i should see what the install version has to offer.. I don't expect it to be any diff.. maybe a better interface?

I remember using ultraVNC.. and I think that was the ap I was looking for before I tried T.V ... I fogot the name of the UVNC ap at the time...

I'll check it out. Can you tell me if it allows the remote pc to be without it's user as long as the software is installed and setup?

hmm the time limit for the free version is 1hr per session. it will auto disconnect you. in the event that it does happen they will need to give you a new code. their is no limit to the amount of sessions. just session length. though throughout the duration of the session. no one on the controlled side needs to be present. they only need to be present to give you the code from their end.

the paid version gets rid of this. and allows reestablished links upon reboot. but for free its not half bad.