• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

WCG milestone recognition ad on Free-DC

T

twilyth

This will be an ad that will honor milestones for ALL WCG crunchers, not just TPU and I will be doing it under my own user id so it will not be associated with TPU in any way. However I would like to get some input from people here as to what it should look like and how it should be executed.

Since there are so many milestones on the project every day and the space available will be very limited, I've decided that the ad will have to have some way of displaying multiple screens. However it has to be something that Bok can completely automate. Some sort of scrolling feature would work but would probably require javascript or at least an animated gif and that might be annoying - not to mention the additional bandwidth. So right now I'm leaning to the idea that a different set of maybe 5 stoners would show up with every screen refresh and the screen you're on would be remembered in a browser cookie. Once per day (after the final update) the new stoner list would be created and the ad would draw from that.

However I'm open to other suggestions as long as
a. bandwidth requirements are minimal
b. it requires no daily intervention on the part of bok.

TIA.

Robin.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 360 A-RGB // X12 Phanteks D30-120 D-RGB Fans
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MT/s CL30
Video Card(s) ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme AIRO
Storage Samsung Pro 980 2TB NVMe (OS and Games) // WD Black 10TB HDD (Storage)
Display(s) SAMSUNG 34-Inch SJ55W Ultrawide Gaming Monitor (LS34J550WQNXZA) – 75Hz Refresh WQHD Computer Monitor
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex GX-1200, 1200W 80+ Gold, ATX 3.0
Software Windows 11 Pro
Hey man, just saw this.

I think your idea is pretty good. not great at web design and stuff so I can't really say much, but at least you got my opinion. Anybody else got something better?

T

twilyth

Hey man, just saw this.

I think your idea is pretty good. not great at web design and stuff so I can't really say much, but at least you got my opinion. Anybody else got something better?

Well what I really need input on is the best way to present the most milestones with the least bandwidth.

My suggestion would be to have a graphic and overlay it with say 5 names + milestones per display. A cookie would count which display someone was on.

So the top milestones don't get all the air play, you would start from that day's milestones at a random place in the database and increment from there. This way everybody gets some exposure to someone at some point.

Also there would have to be a cut-off of some kind. I'm thinking 1M but I have to research that with bok. We might be able to go as low as 100k or 500k depending on how many are in each range on average per day.

In addition to giving recognition where it is due, I think it will help popularize Free-DC since there's nothing like that on boinc stats. and with stats and stones now history, it's basically down to those 2 sites.

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
Interesting idea. I like it, but it is way beyond anything I can offer in advice:)
Thanks for thinking "outside the box":toast:

Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MT/s CL30
Display(s) SAMSUNG 34-Inch SJ55W Ultrawide Gaming Monitor (LS34J550WQNXZA) – 75Hz Refresh WQHD Computer Monitor
Case Phanteks NV7
Software Windows 11 Pro
Twilyth,

Your idea sounds good to me, I'm on the same boat as hammer. Have you tries proposing that yet, or you are waiting on more feedback?

T

twilyth

Twilyth,

Your idea sounds good to me, I'm on the same boat as hammer. Have you tries proposing that yet, or you are waiting on more feedback?

No, I guess there aren't a lot of different ways to approach this. Bok has other priorities right now but I sent him a link to this thread so he probably knows by now what I have in mind.

I'm going to give him some time and when he's ready we'll get down to business on this. I think we should have something up in a month or two. Maybe less but that's probably a safe time frame.

Case Phanteks NV7
Software Windows 11 Pro
That's awesome bro, please keep us posted. ...and as always, your efforts are very muh appreciated!

Reactions: Bow
T

twilyth

The new TPU ad is now up and running on Free-DC so props to Bok (Free-CD owner). The graphic will randomly display 7 people hitting milestones on any given day. Refreshing the screen will display a fresh set, but don't go crazy since that will sap bandwidth.

Here is what it looks like and you can see it from any Free-DC stats page (link in my sig).

System Name Slick
Processor Intel i5 2467M
Motherboard Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook
Memory 8GB Corsair Value
Storage Crucial M4 7mm 256GB
Display(s) 13"
Software Windows 8 Pro x64
Glad to see that Bok finally came through for you twilyth :)

I like this current 7 stones idea. With regards to how you could show all the stoners of the day.. I am not sure much can be done through the use of a small ad. Perhaps Bok could develop a global "WCG Milestones Today" page that could have a link underneath your advert?

That way the generation of that page is limited to those who click a link like "See All Stones today".

my $0.02