• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus EAH6950 Direct CU II (wrong 6970 bios in VGA database)

CuDirect

Asus EAH6950 Direct CU II (potentially wrong 6970 bios in VGA database)

I have an Asus EAH6950 Direct CU II. Upgrading the shaders with RBE worked fine but now you als have the 6970 Direct CU II bios in the database so I was wondering to use it.
http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/95911/Asus.HD6970.2048.110106.html

But when I open it in the Radeon Bios Editor the vendor tag is not Asus but 0000 like several companies or so (if I open my own 6950 bios the vendor tag is correct). And there is no Voltage listed in RBE for the highest clocks. Is this a bug in RBE or is this not the real Asus EAH6970 Direct CU II bios?

Has anybody tried yet flashing this card with this bios?

Last edited:

diablero

I have an Asus EAH6950 Direct CU II. Upgrading the shaders with RBE worked fine but now you als have the 6970 Direct CU II bios in the database so I was wondering to use it.
http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/95911/Asus.HD6970.2048.110106.html

But when I open it in the Radeon Bios Editor the vendor tag is not Asus but 0000 like several companies or so (if I open my own 6950 bios the vendor tag is correct). And there is no Voltage listed in RBE for the highest clocks. Is this a bug in RBE or is this not the real Asus EAH6970 Direct CU II bios?

Has anybody tried yet flashing this card with this bios?

hi friend how is you take 6950 Direct CU II unlock shader lol ? send me your bios ?
you testing ok ?

CuDirect

Just download the Radeon Bios Editor on this homepage, save your own firmware with GPU-Z or Winflash and open it with RBE. There you can activate the shaders and reflash your old one.
But I wouldn't mess with anything else because it seems to be ingored partly or RBE doesn't really work that well with 6950 yet.

Besides of this the firmware I mentioned might worked but I would be cautious with this since the Direct Cu doesn't have a dual bios officially.

diablero

okey change shader with editor and reflashed bios but its not open shader
i looking Gpu-Z not change same shader 1406

CuDirect

I had this too. After the successful unlock I started to change other values to make a 6970 out of the card with RBE but afterwards I had only the standard configuration. It didn't matter which changes I did the configuration stayed the same.

I was finally able to to unlock them again by reflashing the original bios and then after a restart to only change the shadder settings again.

So my interpretation is that this card has a dual bios which gets automatically activated if something is messed up. It stays activated until the standard bios is restored in which case it switches the default one on again.
Maybe there is another explanation for it but I think it makes sense and I have no other one.

It would be great if some of the experts here shed some light on this issues here.

CuDirect

So can somebody of the Techpowerup bios maintainers please give some information about the latest Asus 6950 bios in your database? Was it tested or extracted by your staff or send by a user?

CuDirect

So nobody has checked the Asus 6970 DirectCU II Bios of this site yet?

@Diablero
Did flashing your old bios and then chaning only the shaders afterwards work for you?

diablero

So nobody has checked the Asus 6970 DirectCU II Bios of this site yet?

@Diablero
Did flashing your old bios and then chaning only the shaders afterwards work for you?

yes im reflash old bios nothing work shader, dowload here original Direct CU II 6950 switch-1 and switch-2 bios file but its not change same shader , now im searching 6970 Direct cu II original bios, this link not 6970 direct cu ii bios http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/9...48.110106.html im flash this bios its fake..

CuDirect

So you did flash the original bios which you have saved before, then power down the pc and remove the power cord for ten seconds or so.

After that you change the original bios with RBE and only change the shader setting?

If this didn't work I don't know.

And yes, Techpowerup should remove the bios from their database if it is not the real 6970 DirectCU II.

diablero

your method

1- First one original bios relash it, later power down and remove power connector (ten second)
2- Open computer original bios with open Rbe editor change only shader settings
3- Reflash RBE winflash editor and restart pc and its open shader ?

right this method ?

System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
i did a shader only on 6950DCII and could not boot with first bios(dvi not working any more only dp-port) and booted fine with second and flashed that again(after reflashing 1st) and gpu-z said its unlocked shaders but all my testing with games and benches did not yield any performance gains.

never had any probs with bioses on tpu-i think they get checked anyway.
i for example always send bioses in the same way with standard sys and no oc applied(i did send 6950\+70 DCII bioses to tpu.)

CuDirect

@Diablero
Yes, that method. I don't know, maybe I was lucky.

@basco
But why does this bios seem to have a different Vendor tag or is this an RBE bug. Maybe the one who uploaded it can tell us more.

CuDirect

Btw. was somebody able to change voltage with the SmartDoctor for this card. Changing Mem and Core works fine but not changing Voltage.

And it seems that the fan has a very silent setting. While using Furmark one of the temperatures got over 109 °C while the fan wasn't very loud. The main temperature was around 90 but still the other parts should be cooled enough too.

Processor 5960x
Memory 32 Viper
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
no probs with smartdoc + voltage

don´t have the card anymore.
but in rbe i had the same 00000
gpuz said asus.

i was told that the different bioses are only for dvi single+duallink??

CuDirect

Thanks for the reply and the upload if you have added it.
So I have flashed the card with the bios and it seems to work after a short Furmark test.
I had to reinstall Catalyst but I suppose that is normal.

Anyway where is the third temperature sensor which GPU-Z shows located? It gets easily way above 110°C with Furmark after a short time. Is this something important because the fans are running still at 44% while it is this high?

CuDirect

Ok, I have only tested Furmark.

In Arma 2 I have graphic problems like red and blue dots jumping around the screen in some areas but they seem to go away after some time. After a reboot they are there again but also go away. It looks like the card/additional shaders needs to warm up. :D

Can anybody explain this? Would it make sens to try a new 6950 or is it likely to suffer from the same problem?

Edit: Yeah, it is incredible. No problems at all after 30 seconds or so.

Last edited:

CuDirect

Ok, so playing Arma 2 works fine after a short time but now Windows has this artifacts. I am not really using Windows for anything but games but this is still no option. I am thinking about returning the card but I am not sure.

Processor 5960x
Memory 32 Viper
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
is that the 1GB card??? because the 1GB HD6950 you can't unlock them. Along with the non reference 2GB cards you can't unlock them

CuDirect

@bardoc
I have downloaded Smartdoc from the Asus homepage for the card.I don't want to remove the heatsink and it is probably fine. The only problem is that the fan rpms should increase more rapidly or it should also consider the other temperatures.

@nvidiaintelftw
No, it is a 2 GB card and it also has the same power connector as the 6970.

I am returning the card and try my luck with another one. If it doesn't work there I keep it because it is still great.

CuDirect

Ok, so I have the solution for Diablero.

I have the new card and it is impossible to use the 1536 shaders there. Even with the 6970 bios.

So it looks like newer cards, at least the one from updates, have some additional protection or have physically disabled the few sectors.

And I still can't used the 6970 bios because of the artifacts so yeah, I shouldn't have returned the original card. Maybe I can't compensate it with overclocking. :)

samster555

Can someone send the origional 6950 BIOS for the direct cuii card. Somehow mine got modified and the card is instable. I have the switch on top the card and position 1 and 2 has same result. I have the 1500 plus sharders but it locks up constantly. rolland_browning@yahooo.com

Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit