• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Wired LAN connection and USB wireless connection?

squelchy451

Would connecting my desktop using the usual 10/100 LAN cable and a USB wireless N adapter yield better internet speeds?

Processor AMD Ryzen 1700
Motherboard Gigabyte AB350 GAMING 3
Memory 16GB (2x8) 3200MHz
Display(s) Acer 24" LCD
Software Windows 10 Pro
No. You use one or the other.

T

twilyth

You might be able to bridge the connections, but I'll leave that to one of the network gurus to sort out.

If you have a wireless N router, you might be better off just using the wireless USB connection. It will depend on a variety of factors.

Your cabling might be able to handle data rates much higher then what they are technically rated for, so I wouldn't assume that you're limited to 100baseT. It will depend partly on the cabling and partly on the router.

However even in that case, if your main concern is internet access, that obviously is limited by your ISP. The odds you have something that is 100mbps or higher are pretty slim. But if your main concern is transporting data over your lan, then you should get better than 100mbps speeds over your existing cabling - assuming that the router is rated for higher speeds.

Wireless N speeds also depend on the router and the dongle. Here is a list of the various data rates you can get with wireless N. As you will see from that link, they can vary from as little as 6.5 to as much as 600mbps.

Processor AMD Ryzen 1700
Display(s) Acer 24" LCD
Software Windows 10 Pro
I highly doubt his rig is going to even touch the 100Mbps. 12.5 MBps from an ISP? Get real, I had a 80Mbps cable connection, it wouldn't didn't even make the Ethernet break a sweat. Either one you choose is fine. Bridging may be possible, but yield no real performance from an internet standpoint. I'd have to use the N if you are going to be doing LAN file transfers. If your on a HDD, you won't even come close to flooding that connection. SSD, closer, but I doubt it in any real life situation.

T

twilyth

Why then did my data transfer times drop by something close to an order of magnitude when I migrated from 100/10 to gigabit? I see what you're saying about the drive speeds, but I can tell you for a fact that transfers of hundreds of gigs took hours on my Buffalo Airstation and literally took a day or more on my dlink. Thanks. :toast:

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI Gaming Plus
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Case No Case... just sitting on cardboard :D
Power Supply Antec 650w
Why then did my data transfer times drop by something close to an order of magnitude when I migrated from 100/10 to gigabit? I see what you're saying about the drive speeds, but I can tell you for a fact that transfers of hundreds of gigs took hours on my Buffalo Airstation and literally took a day or more on my dlink. Thanks. :toast:

so you have faster then 100mbps internet connect? (12MBytes per second)
transfering files Via lan are not what this thread is about.

i would go wired 100 over wireless N... wireless shares bandwidth for a start... and its not always going to be 100% signal strength.

Processor AMD Ryzen 1700
Display(s) Acer 24" LCD
Software Windows 10 Pro

I assume your speaking about transferring on a LAN? You will see a change with LAN if your NIC is gigabit (on destination PC as well) HDD/SSD speeds are way faster than 12.5MBps. As far as internet speed...don't be silly, unless your rocking some serious interwebz. Even then, whatever your trying to access will probably never allow you to use your bandwidth to its full potential, thus making your 100Mbps speeds fine.

Processor AMD Ryzen 1700
Display(s) Acer 24" LCD
Software Windows 10 Pro

i would go wired 100 over wireless N... wireless shares bandwidth for a start... and its not always going to be 100% signal strength.

Correct, Ethernet uses CSMA/CD whereas wireless uses CSMA/CA. Major slow down if you have multiple devices that need to transmit.

T

twilyth

I assume your speaking about transferring on a LAN? You will see a change with LAN if your NIC is gigabit (on destination PC as well) HDD/SSD speeds are way faster than 12.5MBps. As far as internet speed...don't be silly, unless your rocking some serious interwebz. Even then, whatever your trying to access will probably never allow you to use your bandwidth to its full potential, thus making your 100Mbps speeds fine.

I'm not sure why you guys are bringing up internet speeds. Aside from specifying that I was talking about LAN speeds, my original post said in part:
However even in that case, if your main concern is internet access, that obviously is limited by your ISP. The odds you have something that is 100mbps or higher are pretty slim. But if your main concern is transporting data over your lan, then you should get better than 100mbps speeds over your existing cabling - assuming that the router is rated for higher speeds.

edit: I should have added that you also need a gigabit NIC, but I guess on some level I figured that was obvious. Even so, I should have made that clear.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Power Supply Antec 650w
???

this thread has nothing to do with lan transfer speeds as per the OP's post.

for all we know OP only has 1 device connected.

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
Yes you CAN bridge your LAN and wireless network and will probably see some improvement. I have done it and it did seem to help a bit but, now my net is very fast and don't need to bridge.

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Power Supply Antec 650w
Yes you CAN bridge your LAN and wireless network and will probably see some improvement. I have done it and it did seem to help a bit but, now my net is very fast and don't need to bridge.

???

how could this possibly improve his internet connection?

yes he can do it but its useless.

it dosnt mater how big the straw is if the cup is out of liquid.

replace Straw with Ethernet + Wireless and liquid with his internet connection.

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
???

how could this possibly improve his internet connection?

yes he can do it but its useless.

it dosnt mater how big the straw is if the cup is out of liquid.

replace Straw with Ethernet + Wireless and liquid with his internet connection.

I saw improvement in peer 2 peer file sharing first off.
Also he asked if it is possible and it is possible and it can improve transfers in some scenarios.

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Power Supply Antec 650w
"Would connecting my desktop using the usual 10/100 LAN cable and a USB wireless N adapter yield better internet speeds? "

only says internet as far as i can see.

if you could please describe how adding more bandwidth with higher latency will help his internet connection if Ethernet is not being utilized 100%.... if anything it should slow him down due routing over wifi.

I highly doubt his rig is going to even touch the 100Mbps. 12.5 MBps from an ISP? Get real, I had a 80Mbps cable connection, it wouldn't didn't even make the Ethernet break a sweat. Either one you choose is fine. Bridging may be possible, but yield no real performance from an internet standpoint. I'd have to use the N if you are going to be doing LAN file transfers. If your on a HDD, you won't even come close to flooding that connection. SSD, closer, but I doubt it in any real life situation.

Several ISP's here (including my current one) are actually upgrading the whole network to 200MBit, two other large ISP's are aiming at 500Mbit. These are actually obtainable speeds.

As for harddisks, they easily saturate 100Mbit, even if they're 10 years old. MB != Mb.

To answer the OP's question, mostly no. Multithreading can improve bandwidth utilization a bit. But you can do this using a single NIC. Configuring your NICs in the way you propose is impossible, you'd have to mess on the software side. Definitely not worth it.

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Power Supply Antec 650w
Several ISP's here (including my current one) are actually upgrading the whole network to 200MBit, two other large ISP's are aiming at 500Mbit. These are actually obtainable speeds.

As for harddisks, they easily saturate 100Mbit, even if they're 10 years old. MB != Mb.

To answer the OP's question, mostly no. Multithreading can improve bandwidth utilization a bit. But you can do this using a single NIC. Configuring your NICs in the way you propose is impossible, you'd have to mess on the software side. Definitely not worth it.

:( australia has only just started building our 100mbps fiber to the home connections, upgrade able to 1gbps however :D (if you has the cash to pay for it)

If you have cash you can get anything of course. Upgrading the 100Mbit networks to anything above 100Mbit basically means hardware is upgraded to 1Gbit hardware. They just limit it for the time being to save their backbone from exploding. In the feature they upgrade other parts and customers will get speeds up to 1Gbit.

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Power Supply Antec 650w
our system will be split between 32 homes providing enough bandwidth for 31 to have 100mbps and 1 user with 1gbps.

lowest plan speed is 12mbps. but now where getting off topic :D

Processor AMD Ryzen 1700
Display(s) Acer 24" LCD
Software Windows 10 Pro

The only places i've noticed speeds close to that is are college and k-12 networks. I suppose knowing his internet connection speed would have helped answer the question properly. You can't get those kinds of speeds here (unless your filthy rich).

edit: and your right about the hdd speeds, sorry OP, I shouldn't answer questions after my bedtime :eek:

Last edited: