• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Silverstone SUGO SG08

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
The Sugo SG08 is the flagship version of this type of chassis for ITX boards from Silverstone. With a thick aluminum front panel and solid 600W PSU, it demands quite the hefty price tag. We make the SUGO eat an ITX board and large graphics card to see if it can keep its figure or whether such a set-up would tear at its seams.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name "IBT 10x Maximum Stable"
Processor Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6GHz -> 100xx46 - 1.296v
Motherboard MSI MPower Z97
Cooling Corsair H100i + 2x Corsair "HP Edition" SP120's
Memory 4x4GB Corsair Vengence Pro 2400mhz @ 2400MHz 10-11-12-31-1T - 1.66v
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming GTX970 4GB @ 1314 Core/1973 Mem/1515 Boost
Storage Kingston 3K 120GB SSD + Western Digital 'Green' 2TB + Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) Iiyama Prolite X2377HDS 23" IPS
Case Corsair Carbide 300R
Audio Device(s) Rotel RA-04/Cambridge Audio Azur 540R + B&W DM302/Cerwin Vega AT12 / Sony MDR-XB700 & FiiO E5
Power Supply EVGA NEX650G + Silverstone Extensions
Mouse Always failing me....
Keyboard Endlessly broken.....
Software Windoze 7 Pro 64-bit/Windoze 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores I had some of these once upon a time? Old age has seen me misplace them....
This case is a bit of a let down price-wise compared to the Fractal Design NODE that has, what appears to be, the same OEM.

Not only is it more expensive by a fair amount, it also has some odd placements.....

Take for example the PSU power cable extension; why is it not on the opposite side instead of being above the graphics card and in the process, trailing half way around the case in the wrong direction?

Also, the lack of any rear exhaust is a massive negative, in my view. How are you supposed to fit an AIO WC to the top of the case AND close it at the same time? The design isn't even suited to tower type heatpipe coolers because of this so you're even more limited than usual on the type of cooler you can fit into this. Not the best for the "power-ITX" enthusiast crowd.

A real disappointment as I've been a long-time fan of the "Sugo" range from Silverstone but this is just awfully designed. :shadedshu

I hate to say it (as I don't exactly favour Fractal Design), but the NODE 304 wins this round due to design and functionality... its half the price too! :slap: :eek:

Edit:
To add more, yes this case comes with a power supply.... however, it's still too expensive.

Add THIS to the Fractal mentioned above and it'll still cost you a fair amount less than the Sugo and be modular, too. Win all around really.

Last edited:
Processor Intel i7-3770k
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V LX
Cooling GeminII S524
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz
Video Card(s) R9 290 with NZXT G10
Storage OCZ Vertex 4 120Gb, 1.5 TB Seagate Barracuda, 3TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) 27" Achieva Shimian
Case NZXT Switch 810
Power Supply OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W
Edit:
To add more, yes this case comes with a power supply.... however, it's still too expensive.

Add THIS to the Fractal mentioned above and it'll still cost you a fair amount less than the Sugo and be modular, too. Win all around really.

That's not a modular PSU?

Take for example the PSU power cable extension; why is it not on the opposite side instead of being above the graphics card and in the process, trailing half way around the case in the wrong direction?
A minor complaint IMO. At least it's out of the way in that spot.

Also, the lack of any rear exhaust is a massive negative, in my view.
Agreed. Silverstone's prototype of the SG07 even had a small rectangular exhaust vent on the rear panel as seen here. But they got rid of it with the final version of the SG07/SG08, even though they left the indentation in place.

How are you supposed to fit an AIO WC to the top of the case AND close it at the same time?
The 180mm fan attaches using a bracket that is independent from the clamshell top cover, and it has 120mm mounting holes as well. :) See here for examples of AIO WC in this case: Antec Kuhler 620, Corsair H80

The design isn't even suited to tower type heatpipe coolers because of this so you're even more limited than usual on the type of cooler you can fit into this. Not the best for the "power-ITX" enthusiast crowd.
In its stock form, the case is fine with 92mm tower coolers, and some shorter 120mm tower coolers such as the Gelid Tranquillo, as long as you orient it so that it draws air from the video card, and exhausts it out the other side. However, after some modding (just cutting a hole in the rear panel to mount a 120mm fan), I managed to fit a Noctua NH-U12P, as well as a Thermalright HR-02. Note that I would've had more room in front of the heatsink if I was using the stock HDD bracket rather than the massive HDD silencer.

I hate to say it (as I don't exactly favour Fractal Design), but the NODE 304 wins this round due to design and functionality... its half the price too! :slap: :eek:
I agree, although I wish its front intake vents weren't so restrictive for the 2x 92mm fans. As for my SG07, I was disappointed with it in its stock form; it took some modding for me to be happy with it.

Edit:
I got mine second hand for 60% the price of a new one, and with a slim DVD burner to boot. Otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. Probably would've gone with an Antec NSK3480 or Silverstone Sugo SG03/04 instead. Or if I wasn't so fussy about noise, an SG05/06 for its smaller footprint

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
i think the price is just about right on this thing. It would make an excellent steambox!

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
The Fractal Design has one (probally big) difference: it has no ODD.

System Name "IBT 10x Maximum Stable"
Processor Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6GHz -> 100xx46 - 1.296v
Motherboard MSI MPower Z97
Cooling Corsair H100i + 2x Corsair "HP Edition" SP120's
Memory 4x4GB Corsair Vengence Pro 2400mhz @ 2400MHz 10-11-12-31-1T - 1.66v
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming GTX970 4GB @ 1314 Core/1973 Mem/1515 Boost
Storage Kingston 3K 120GB SSD + Western Digital 'Green' 2TB + Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) Iiyama Prolite X2377HDS 23" IPS
Case Corsair Carbide 300R
Audio Device(s) Rotel RA-04/Cambridge Audio Azur 540R + B&W DM302/Cerwin Vega AT12 / Sony MDR-XB700 & FiiO E5
Power Supply EVGA NEX650G + Silverstone Extensions
Mouse Always failing me....
Keyboard Endlessly broken.....
Software Windoze 7 Pro 64-bit/Windoze 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores I had some of these once upon a time? Old age has seen me misplace them....
That's not a modular PSU?

Yeah... sorry, it was late and I posted the wrong link lol

Here you go: LINK

A lot of good text was here! ;)

The main plus to the Fractal vs Silversone is that the FD has more HDD space and is less cramped due to the more mainstream design of the rear fan mount and two 92's at the front. It allows for a much better cable job on the inside and has to be cooler than the Sugo... load temps in this case must be pretty high compared.

You also shouldn't need to run an inferior cooler on your CPU just because of the restraints imposed by the design/placement of your only case fan.
Some people, myself included, want to have the best possible performance from their system... this leads to overclocking and so a more "meaningful" cooler is needed.... this chassis leaves very little room for that and even with an AIO installed, its very cramped and the temperatures will suffer as a result.

Also, welcome to TechPowerup! :toast:

The Fractal Design has one (probally big) difference: it has no ODD.

Who uses ODD in this day and age, any way?

External drives not only look better for the most part, but, even they are obsolete too, in my view.

Online downloads for games and a USB drive of some description for OS installs make ODD, like IDE cables, a thing of the past.

Edit:

No dust filters on this case either?? Aside from the graphics filter that isn't really fit for purpose as it wont really cover the fan of most modern cards... only older cards from nVidia and ATI that use a small, single fan.

This is a bigger let down than I first saw. :shadedshu

Edit 2: The PSU doesn't even feature fully sleeved cables, either..... is this really $200?

Last edited:
System Name Shoebox Sandwich | Razer Blade 14 | Synology DS418 w/ 4X8TB WD Red | iPhone 15 Pro
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
Motherboard ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi | Razer thing
Cooling NZXT Kraken 240 RGB w/ Lian Li P28 + Corsair AF120 Slim | Double fan vapour chamber
Memory G.Skill Flare X5 2x16GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5 | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB
Storage Seagate FireCuda 520 2TB + Lexar NM790 4TB | 1TB NVMe SSD + 2TB NVMe external SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW & Sony A90K 42" | 14" QHD IPS 165Hz & Sony X90J 65" 4K TV
Case FormD T1 - v2.1 - Titanium colourway w Aluminium mesh | Razer Blade 14
Audio Device(s) Schiit Hel 2E (Focal Clear & HiFiMAN HE-4XX & DROP PC38X) | Samsung Q950A
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum | Razer 230W brick
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate Mercury | Roccat Kain 202
Keyboard DIY Geek 64 PCB (Kailh Box Deep Sea - Matcha XDA Keycaps) | Corsair K63
VR HMD Oculus Quest
Software Windows 11 Home | Windows 11 Home
Benchmark Scores 2022 MINI Countryman SE PHEV Hybrid ALL4 | British Racing Green| Malt Brown Interior| YOURS Trim
Yeah... sorry, it was late and I posted the wrong link lol

Here you go: LINK

The main plus to the Fractal vs Silversone is that the FD has more HDD space and is less cramped due to the more mainstream design of the rear fan mount and two 92's at the front. It allows for a much better cable job on the inside and has to be cooler than the Sugo... load temps in this case must be pretty high compared.

You also shouldn't need to run an inferior cooler on your CPU just because of the restraints imposed by the design/placement of your only case fan.
Some people, myself included, want to have the best possible performance from their system... this leads to overclocking and so a more "meaningful" cooler is needed.... this chassis leaves very little room for that and even with an AIO installed, its very cramped and the temperatures will suffer as a result.

Also, welcome to TechPowerup! :toast:

Who uses ODD in this day and age, any way?

External drives not only look better for the most part, but, even they are obsolete too, in my view.

Online downloads for games and a USB drive of some description for OS installs make ODD, like IDE cables, a thing of the past.

Edit:

No dust filters on this case either?? Aside from the graphics filter that isn't really fit for purpose as it wont really cover the fan of most modern cards... only older cards from nVidia and ATI that use a small, single fan.

This is a bigger let down than I first saw. :shadedshu

Umm all the intake fans have filters, and they are pretty easy to remove too. Nearly all the reference cooler from AMD and Nvidia still use a blower style fan that the gpu filter will cover nicely. I had a GTX 570 reference card in there without any dramas.

Here is the SG-07 I have that I used to use as lanbox but is now serving HTPC duties. It fits an Antec 620 with 2X P14 fans from noctua without any issues.

The gpu atm is a 7770, but was a 570.

It was a squeeze to get the 7770 in with the antec 620, but it is doable and it works. If I'm honest, I don't think the 570 would've fitted with all the other stuff that is in there atm. Before hand there wasn't the DVD drive and there was no 3.5" drive either, only 2X 2.5" drives, so that helped A LOT with cable management but it was a squeeze this time.

It is a great case though and is literally no bigger than a shoebox. I used to use a shoebox for protecting it during transportation to lans.

Lt_Lemming

This case is a bit of a let down price-wise compared to the Fractal Design NODE that has, what appears to be, the same OEM.

The node has a very different fit and finish internally, I have built machines in both cases and far prefer the internal finish of the SG07/08 (only difference between the two is the front panel).

Not only is it more expensive by a fair amount, it also has some odd placements.....

The placements may seem odd, but to fit everything they do into the case, it works well. Also I much rather the single hooge fan for intake, than the two much noiser 92mm intakes. The case comes apart so well that it's nice and easy to work on. The SG08/07 is also a fair bit smaller than the Node. About 1" - 2" smaller in each axis.

The cable has a minimum bend radius, the turns would be too tight and it would impose on the area in front of the drives if it was coming from above the CPU area. Also the power socket on the back of the case would impinge on the area for the fan.

Also, the lack of any rear exhaust is a massive negative, in my view. How are you supposed to fit an AIO WC to the top of the case AND close it at the same time? The design isn't even suited to tower type heatpipe coolers because of this so you're even more limited than usual on the type of cooler you can fit into this. Not the best for the "power-ITX" enthusiast crowd.

There is no need for a rear exhaust, the AP180 fan pushes so much air into the case that it stays very cool in there. Here in Brisbane in summer with an i5-760 in there, it tops out at about 65c under air cooling and with the fan on low. A single 180mm fan at 700 rpm is much quieter than 3 fans in the node and this is far more important to me than a few extra degrees of cooling.

A real disappointment as I've been a long-time fan of the "Sugo" range from Silverstone but this is just awfully designed. :shadedshu

I disagree, I think this case shows a much better design than the Node. The node they have basically tried to take a standard case layout and cram it into mini-itx, which means making some sacrifices (no ODD, noisier and larger case) whereas Silverstone have started with a clean slate, and wound up with an incredibly functional while tiny case.

It's only half the price because it doesn't come with a PSU. Once you add in a decent PSU, it's gonna cost the same if not more.

Edit:
As soon as you add a decent PSU (Corsair, Silverstone, Antec, Seasonic, etc) it's going to cost the same as building a machine based around the Node 304.

On newegg there is a whopping $10 difference between the node and that psu, and the SG08.

I've looked at adding a modular supply to my SG07, there's one huge problem. The plugs on modular supplies add quite a bit of thickness and would protrude into the area occupied by the graphics card. It'd be nice, but until someone makes one with much skinnier connectors, or recessed connectors, it wouldn't work.

Andrew780

actually as long as you're not looking to run anything bigger than a 670 and aren't looking to overclock much, this modular psu will work in the sg08/07. http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=342&area=en

tbh though i am still kind of torn between the sg08 and node, i think the node has more overclocking/cooling potential, but the sg08 i think has better cable management opportunities and is smaller. I actually have an sg08 on order (along with the psu in the link), but i'm still debating.

Spare some Change?

Man I have a 780gtx in my node 304. With only one 500 gb crucial ssd, no optical drive, a corsair cooler and I5, I used a silverstone modular power supply and silverstone short cable kit, this is so key, basically I have a huge plastic bag full of unused cables, this build is so clean you can barely see the cables as they are small and thin. I went with the Node because I wanted a silverstone sg07 but you would have to go with the non modular included powersupply. I would then have to pay for a modular powersupply on top of that so you are looking at around 200 dollars more expensive then the node. If you want a clean more modern build the node is the way to go. I took it on an airplane with me using a rolling duffel bag. I also really considered getting a silverstone fortress ft03 mini but you do need to mod with a hole to fit a 780 or similar card. I would be happy with any of those 3 cases, the node comes out the more modern and cheaper case though and is quiet even with the fans at high. I have gotten the temps though during the day at 80 degrees on the 780 so if I knew I could get that card 5 degrees cooler or more using the other cases and air cooling I would go with the Sg07. I think you must have water cooling with the fortress mini. If Silverstone made a sg07 lite I would of gone with it, they do make a light for the sg08 but I prefer the look of the more industrial sg07. I really like the idea of the sgo5 as well but not sure I could max out setttings on my favorite game war of the vikings at 1900 x 1200 on my 30 inch monitor with a 760, if I could of would of gone with the Sgo6 silver and a 450 gold modular silverstone and short cable kit, man that would be great.