• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gelid Announces Compatibility of Icy Vision Rev. 2 with R9 290X, GTX 780

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Gelid announced compatibility of its Icy Vision rev. 2.0 VGA cooler with Radeon R9 290X, Radeon R9 280X, Radeon R9 270X, and NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 780, and GeForce GTX 770. The "Rev. 2 ICY VISION" cooler contains 5 power heatpipes in a unique heatpipe constellation. The heatpipes are interlaced into 85 optimized high-quality aluminium fins. Together with a flat stack fin soldered Copper base, they enable the most efficient heat transmission and dissipation from GPU core in its class. Besides the heatsink, two 92mm UV-reactive fans with 11 blades in S-shape generate 20% additonal air flow than traditional fans. The fan contains a high-quality ball bearing to ensure a longer lifetime in high temperature environments. MSRP: US $55.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

overpass

Gelid Icy Vision

Looks like Gelid haven't changed it much from their previous Icy Vision coolers. I've had one on a stock 7950 that had temperature problems reaching into 80 degrees Celsius, and this cooler dropped it to around 55 to 60 range with a night and day difference in fan noise. It is lighter than comparable replacement add-on coolers. The drawbacks are it does take up the space of a triple slot cooler, installation difficulty, and fan control not being under PWM (had to attach it to a controller). It does include their well regarded thermal paste. I certainly recommend it.

System Name Redemption(Fractal DD XL R2 mod)
Processor Intel Core i7 4770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-G1 Gaming BLK WIFI
Cooling Water Cooled
Memory G. Skill Ripjaws Z 16 GB 1866 MHz
Video Card(s) 2 x Gigabyte R9 290X with EK blocks
Storage 256 GB Samsung 830 SSD
Display(s) Dell U2713HM
Case Fractal Design Define XL R2 (Modified)
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Z
Power Supply Silverstone Stider Evolution 1000 Watt Gold with individual MDPC sleeves
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
Looks like Gelid haven't changed it much from their previous Icy Vision coolers. I've had one on a stock 7950 that had temperature problems reaching into 80 degrees Celsius, and this cooler dropped it to around 55 to 60 range with a night and day difference in fan noise. It is lighter than comparable replacement add-on coolers. The drawbacks are it does take up the space of a triple slot cooler, installation difficulty, and fan control not being under PWM (had to attach it to a controller). It does include their well regarded thermal paste. I certainly recommend it.

Let's hope that they do revise the fan controlling options for who that will be buying it to use on R9 290X and GTX 780.

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo XL
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR / AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
Let's hope that they do revise the fan controlling options for who that will be buying it to use on R9 290X and GTX 780.

Just go with a GPU cooler from Arctic, they are more quiet and cool the same.