• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is the internet on the brink of collapse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration

I dont know how other people feel about it, but, for me the WWW has become quite important.

The Royal Society https://royalsociety.org/ are set to discuss data demand issues and where do we go from here.

The deployment to market is about six to eight years behind the research lab - so within eight years that will be it, we can't get any more data in.

What the Internet really looks like: Each yellow line is one of the major fiber-optic cables that carry Internet traffic around the world. These are the 'plumbing' of the internet, and many are routed undersea

The cables and fibre optics that send information to our laptops, smartphones and tablets will have reached their limit.
Experts warn science has reached its limit and that fibre optics can take no more data from a single optical fibre.
The internet companies could always put down additional cables - but that will mean higher bills.
Experts say we could be faced with paying double or will have to put up with an internet that switches off intermittently.
Storing information in large 'server farms', rather than transferring it, would take the strain off the network.

The internet is heading towards a 'capacity crunch' as it fails to keep up with our demand for ever faster data, scientists have warned.
Leading engineers, physicists and telecoms firms have been summoned to a meeting at London's Royal Society later this month, to discuss what can be done to avert a web crisis.

The cables and fibre optics that send information to our laptops, smartphones and tablets will have reached their limit within eight years, experts warn.

So far, engineers have managed to keep ahead of demand, increasing internet speeds 50-fold in the last decade alone.
n 2005, broadband internet had a maximum speed of 2 Megabits per second. Today 100Mb-per-second download speeds are available in many parts of the country.

But experts warn that science has reached its limit - that fibre optics can take no more data.

The result, according to Professor Andrew Ellis, who has co-organised the Royal Society meeting on May 11, will be higher internet bills.
Professor Ellis, of Aston University in Birmingham, told the Daily Mail: 'We are starting to reach the point in the research lab where we can't get any more data into a single optical fibre.
'The intensity is the same as if you were standing right up against the sun.

'The deployment to market is about six to eight years behind the research lab - so within eight years that will be it, we can't get any more data in.

'Demand is increasingly catching up. It is growing again and again, and it is harder and harder to keep ahead.

'We have done very well for many years to keep ahead. But we are getting to that point where we can't keep going for ever
The professor warned that it also takes a huge amount of electricity to transfer data.

'The internet uses the same energy as the airline industry - about two per cent of a developed country's entire energy consumption,' he said.

'That is just for the data transfer. If you then add the computers, the phones, the television, then it is up to eight per cent of the country's energy consumption.'

Every time internet speed increases, the electricity it takes to transfer the power also rises.

Professor Ellis said: 'That is quite a huge problem. If we have multiple fibres to keep up, we are going to run out of energy in about 15 years.

Not everyone, however, is convinced of the severity of the situation.

Andrew Lord, head of optical research at BT and a visiting professor at Essex University, insists scientists will come up with a solution.
Professor Lord, who will address the Royal Society meeting, said storing information in large 'server farms', rather than transferring it, would take the strain off the network.
'The internet is not about to collapse,' he said. 'It has a lot of bandwidth left in it.'
A spokesman for the Royal Society said: 'Communication networks face a potentially disastrous 'capacity crunch' as demand for data online outstrips the capacity of the optical fibres that carry internet signals.

'This meeting brings together experts to discuss why we're heading towards a capacity crunch, what can be done to avert it, and the impact if we do nothing: data rationing, the end of net neutrality and rising costs for going online.'

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
If I can't access TPU because of this then my life would stop.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Before the internet, there was the ARPANET

want to know more........ 40 maps that explain the internet..... have a click, its interesting.
http://www.vox.com/a/internet-maps

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
I don't know about US, but East Asia has been laying cables down like mad.

System Name My Surround PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X670E-F
Cooling Swiftech MCP35X / EK Quantum CPU / Alphacool GPU / XSPC 480mm w/ Corsair Fans
Memory 96GB (2 x 48 GB) G.Skill DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Suprim X 24GB
Storage WD SN850 2TB, 2 x 512GB Samsung PM981a, 4 x 4TB HGST NAS HDD for Windows Storage Spaces
Display(s) 2 x Viotek GFI27QXA 27" 4K 120Hz + LG UH850 4K 60Hz + HMD
Case NZXT Source 530
Audio Device(s) Sony MDR-7506 / Logitech Z-5500 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x 1 kW
Mouse Patriot Viper V560
Keyboard Corsair K100
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Mellanox ConnectX-3 10 Gb/s Fiber Network Card
Experts say we could be faced with paying double or will have to put up with an internet that switches off intermittently.
That seems a bit hyperbolic, don't you think? Even in the worst case scenario, there would just be congestion and slow transfers, not a complete disconnection.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
In the UK there is a massive rollout of optic cabling. The Govt has prioritised rural areas in the hope that it will stimulate employment.

I think the question being posed at the Royal Society is whether current planning will cope with future expansion, especially in areas of large population with huge demand.

Even in the worst case scenario, there would just be congestion and slow transfers, not a complete disconnection.

please dont remind me of the dialup days :banghead:

System Name Lava Kitty
Processor intel i7 4930k http://valid.x86.fr/lht7hh
Motherboard Asus x79 deluxe
Cooling H20 Parallel EK D5. Radiator: 480 Monsta 80mm pushpull
Memory Gskill-trident-X 2666mhz 16gb 4x4gb
Video Card(s) MSI GTX Titan X
Storage Samsung 850 pro 512GB. 3GB seagate storage. 1GB storage drive. 4# 300-500 GB storage drives
Display(s) Asus PA279Q, and Asus VG278HR
Case Lian Li PC-343B-XT
Audio Device(s) Asus Essence STX. and. Creative Soundblaster ZxR
Power Supply corsair 1200i
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB
Keyboard Razer black widdow 2013
Software windows 8.1 and soon windows 10
Benchmark Scores ask if u want to see http://valid.x86.fr/lht7hh
I think these so called experts is being paid to say this. If we don't allow the Internet to grow then bad stuff happens. War etc.

Fusion reactors are soon done and then power problem is gone. First one is being made in France.
50 mW into it and 500 mW out

People are just greedy and lazy
the cables aren't that expensive.
it costs more to build roads than to lay fiber from USA to the uk

Last edited:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
No worries, internet = tons of money, so they will build new capacity - to make more money, or if capacity really ends up short, bandwidth prices for hosting will go up a few percentage points. market economy and capitalism to the rescue

System Name Lava Kitty
Processor intel i7 4930k http://valid.x86.fr/lht7hh
Motherboard Asus x79 deluxe
Cooling H20 Parallel EK D5. Radiator: 480 Monsta 80mm pushpull
Memory Gskill-trident-X 2666mhz 16gb 4x4gb
Video Card(s) MSI GTX Titan X
Storage Samsung 850 pro 512GB. 3GB seagate storage. 1GB storage drive. 4# 300-500 GB storage drives
Display(s) Asus PA279Q, and Asus VG278HR
Case Lian Li PC-343B-XT
Audio Device(s) Asus Essence STX. and. Creative Soundblaster ZxR
Power Supply corsair 1200i
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB
Keyboard Razer black widdow 2013
Software windows 8.1 and soon windows 10
Benchmark Scores ask if u want to see http://valid.x86.fr/lht7hh
No worries, internet = tons of money, so they will build new capacity - to make more money, or if capacity really ends up short, bandwidth prices for hosting will go up a few percentage points. market economy and capitalism to the rescue
Germany got such terrible internet speeds. Will it ever change?

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Germany got such terrible internet speeds. Will it ever change?
The article is not really about end-user connectivity, but backbones, especially intercontinental ones. My connection here is 50 mbit, the lowest available, i could get 200 mbit if i wanted. if i could save a few bucks i'd even be happy with 16 mbit.

in my old place the maximum is like 2 mbit/s, that sucks, but was still usable

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
Fusion reactors are soon done and then power problem is gone. First one is being made in France.
I wish it was that easy. The French one is the ITER prototype which is currently under construction. There are still lots of hurdles to go through for a design that's commercially viable and will last for years, unfortunately. The basic problem is that the intense heat of the plasma destroys the reactor walls too quickly.

in my old place the maximum is like 2 mbit/s, that sucks, but was still usable
I remember my first broadband connection in 2002. It was a mere 0.5Mb/s, but it felt like a sports car!

System Name panda
Processor 6700k
Motherboard sabertooth s
Cooling raystorm block<black ice stealth 240 rad<ek dcc 18w 140 xres
Memory 32gb ripjaw v
Video Card(s) 290x gamer<ntzx g10<antec 920
Storage 950 pro 250gb boot 850 evo pr0n
Display(s) QX2710LED@110hz lg 27ud68p
Case 540 Air
Audio Device(s) nope
Power Supply 750w superflower
Mouse g502
Keyboard shine 3 with grey, black and red caps
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/marsey99/
In the UK there is a massive rollout of optic cabling. The Govt has prioritised rural areas in the hope that it will stimulate employment.

how much fibre has bt really laid?

from what i have seen they have only put it down in places where they already had total internet coverage and high population.

none of the people i know from the more remote corners have had anything more than vague promises of the "near future" variety.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I'm far more concerned about processors than network cabling. Worst case scenario, we can always lay more cables to increase capacity. The problem is the switches and routers. There's only so much data they can handle so fast. If process technology doesn't keep charging forward, we're going to have open highways with congested intersections.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
how much fibre has bt really laid?

from what i have seen they have only put it down in places where they already had total internet coverage and high population.

none of the people i know from the more remote corners have had anything more than vague promises of the "near future" variety.

The guys doing the work 100ms from my house.....very rural remote West Wales. Only 800 people live in my village.

A thing about subaqua cabling networks. Including a CNN interview. Interesting, not much to read.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/03/04/tech/gallery/internet-undersea-cables/

Last edited:

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 \Paradigm 7se MKII, Paradigm 5SE MK1 , Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
I think these so called experts is being paid to say this. If we don't allow the Internet to grow then bad stuff happens. War etc.

50 mW into it and 500 mW out

People are just greedy and lazy
the cables aren't that expensive.
it costs more to build roads than to lay fiber from USA to the uk
but to put the cable there takes digging up the roads. And i bet the cable that is placed on the sea floor is nothing cheap.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
The problem is the switches and routers. There's only so much data they can handle so fast. If process technology doesn't keep charging forward, we're going to have open highways with congested intersections.
I think that comes down the the same argument as the cabling though. If they really run out of switching capacity it means that they need to segment their network more and add more routers at different parts of the network. It's the same argument with bandwidth and DOCSIS. You can provide 1Gbps on DOCSIS 3.x, the question is how many more nodes and intermediate switches will need to be added to accommodate the load. Network traffic, even more so on tier 1 and 2 networks, tend to be designed in a way to can scale horizontally if they were to decide to build their network up. Although any upgrades cost money and in a capitalistic society where ISPs have a chokehold on certain markets, there isn't a whole lot of incentive. That's the big problem IMHO.

The only down side might be (slightly) increased latency due to more routers and hops across the internet, but I would happily give up 7ms and 115Mbps to get 11-13ms and 300Mbps, but that's me.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
:) Google will Save us with their Zepplins and don't forget Facebook with their R101 :)

Maybe amazon will fit Pico Cells into their fleet of Delivery Drones ( Amazon PRIME customers only )

Hope is not lost quite yet snigger

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I think that comes down the the same argument as the cabling though. If they really run out of switching capacity it means that they need to segment their network more and add more routers at different parts of the network. It's the same argument with bandwidth and DOCSIS. You can provide 1Gbps on DOCSIS 3.x, the question is how many more nodes and intermediate switches will need to be added to accommodate the load. Network traffic, even more so on tier 1 and 2 networks, tend to be designed in a way to can scale horizontally if they were to decide to build their network up. Although any upgrades cost money and in a capitalistic society where ISPs have a chokehold on certain markets, there isn't a whole lot of incentive. That's the big problem IMHO.

The only down side might be (slightly) increased latency due to more routers and hops across the internet, but I would happily give up 7ms and 115Mbps to get 11-13ms and 300Mbps, but that's me.
I believe OC-768 is the largest deployed and it is 40 Gb/s. If you look at top of the line networking equipment, that number comes up frequently.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I believe OC-768 is the largest deployed and it is 40 Gb/s. If you look at top of the line networking equipment, that number comes up frequently.
I get that, but the consumer isn't going to getting SONET OC-768 fiber to their house, but I diverge. My point is that regardless of bandwidth you have the traveling salesman problem because we're talking about a graph, not a tree, of nodes at tier 1 and 2 networks. Internet traffic doesn't always take the same path across the internet, it's important to remember that because it can (and will) adjust if a path become less advantageous to take. That's really my only point that I'm trying to make. I would rather give up a little bit of latency to get a lot more bandwidth, that's it. :p

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
"Is the internet on the brink of collapse?"

Peak internet? :laugh:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
The last cable laid under the Pacific cost $ 300 million

https://www.telegeography.com/
Let's put the money into perspective. 30 million customers (say, a country like Canada), paying $10 a month, pays for that cable in a mere 30 days. SO in a year, $10 per customer can lay 12 new cables across the ocean. :p The idea that costs will go up or any of that other nonsense is FUD.

Break it up to 6 billion people on the planet = pennies per person. The internet is here to stay, and it isn't going to go "poof".

System Name YACS amd
Processor 5800x,
Motherboard gigabyte x570 aorus gaming elite.
Cooling bykski GPU, and CPU, syscooling p93x pump
Memory corsair vengeance pro rgb, 3600 ddr4 stock timings.
Video Card(s) xfx merc 310 7900xtx
Storage kingston kc3000 2TB, amongst others. Fanxiang s770 2TB
Display(s) benq ew3270u, or acer XB270hu, acer XB280hk, asus VG 278H,
Case lian li LANCOOL III
Audio Device(s) obs,
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti pro 1000w
Mouse logitech g703
Keyboard durogod keyboard. (cherry brown switches)
Software win 11, win10pro.
the diagram is missing the arctic cable... the one from japan to the u.k. going though the Canadian arctic, (northwest passage). being laid as we speak... to be operational in 2017, testing in 2016...

this cable will cost any where form 400 million to 600 x2 depending if it gets connected to seattle...

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
It currently takes roughly 230 milliseconds for a packet to go from London to Tokyo; the new cables will reduce this by 30% to 170ms. Currently these routes racking up around 15,000 miles. It’s only 10,000 miles (16,000km) across the Arctic Ocean, and with fewer land crossings.

A cross section of a modern submarine communications cable.
1 – Polyethylene
2 – Mylar tape
3 – Stranded steel wires
4 – Aluminium water barrier
5 – Polycarbonate
6 – Copper or aluminium tube
7 – Petroleum jelly
8 – Optical fibers

Heres a little something about @redeye 's cable.......less than a minute to read, prices and stuff.

http://www.dailywireless.org/2012/03/21/intercontental-arctic-fiber/

and Google it seems have been especially busy

http://www.dailywireless.org/2014/08/11/google-joins-new-submarine-cable-partnership/

Last edited by a moderator:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U