• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Oil filled water cooling loop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I'm sure most AIO coolers have distilled water and a antimicrobial. That's it. Its why they only last and couple of years is my guess. Why would you spend more money just to have it last longer
Glycol/water mixes in every single one. Glycol is the one additive that help water's thermal conductivity at the termps we use, and also prevents the AIO's from popping under expansion while shipping (or you'd never get one in the mail from Newegg).

I remember people using water and antifreeze for cars when they made custom loops using heating radiator from Lada and Yugo cars as a heatsink rad :D Not sure if anyone still bothers with those since dedicated water cooling accessories are so widely accessible now.

System Name Games/internet/usage
Processor I7 5820k 4.2 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS X99-A2
Cooling custom water loop for cpu and gpu
Memory 16GiB Crucial Ballistix Sport 2666 MHz
Video Card(s) Radeon Rx 6800 XT
Storage Samsung XP941 500 GB + 1 TB SSD
Display(s) Dell 3008WFP
Case Caselabs Magnum M8
Audio Device(s) Shiit Modi 2 Uber -> Matrix m-stage -> HD650
Power Supply beQuiet dark power pro 1200W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Win 10 Pro
Have been on the lookout for the optimal water cooling cooling medium for some time now, as i see it there is three chemical properties that are important:
Heat capacity
Viscosity
Electrical conductivity

Heat capacity is important because the better it is the better cooling one unit (L/Gal/mL wathever) of the fluid passing through the block will grab more heat from the block.
Viscosity is important because it denotes how difficult it is to force the fluid though the loop, so lower Viscosity better flow.
Electrical conductivity is mostly a nice to have, as it only makes the fluid NOT kill your computer should you get a spill.

In addition, a fluid that is not reactive to the other metals and plastics of the loop, and no thigns can live in (algae)

Something with low viscosity and high heat capacity that wont kill you computer should you spill and is stable would be ideal

Now for the fluids i have found:

Water:
Very high Heat capacity for a fluid: 4.1813 [J/(g*K)]
Very Low Viscosity: 0.894 [CP]
But it is conductive and algae likes to live in it

Propylene glycol: its the stuff in engine coolant additives
Heat capacity: 2.521 [J/(g*K)]
Viscosity: 42 [CP]
Still conductive but nothing lives in it, and it has a lower freezing point so its possible to use radiators outside in winter (if you live in a part of the world that gets that kind of temperatures. Also, Here is some interesting stats about water/glycol solutions.

Mineral oil: there is a lot of different oils, but they are high Viscosity.
Viscosity: 35 to 400 [CP]
Not conductive, i dont know if stuff grows in it tho.

There are probably other fluids but the Heat capacity and Viscosity will be the most important ones comparing it to water.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
In the regular LC loop there will be no reason to use oil (probably less effective than aftermarket air cooling), but a few months ago I saw a video on Youtube of 2 kids testing mineral oil vs. vegetable oil in a tank. Maybe not the best test, but the proof of concept definitely works.

EDIT: here's the video

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
I watched this yesterday:

And it made me wonder. Milk would turn into yogurt because of proteins in it and acidity from it would eat the metal parts, orange juice would also corrode metal stuff, Powerade would eventually grow algae etc.

But then it struck me. What about motor oil? A very thin (very liquidy one)?

- it is made to be used in hot conditions
- is not corrosive
- won't allow algae to grow
- won't go bad like ever

Seems like a perfect candidate. There might be some concerns regarding pump and maybe rubber gaskets here and there, but in theory, it should work. I'd love to see how it performs thermally as I don't know how oil performs as heat transportation medium.
.there are systems that are fully submerged with oil, not just flowing through tubes.

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Processor intel i7 3770 *Dellided*
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev. 1.1
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro + Tt Riing12 x2 / Tt ThunderBlade / Gelid Slim 120UV fans
Memory 16GB DRR3 Kingoston with Custom Tt spreaders + HyperX Fan
Video Card(s) GeForce GTX 980 4GB Nvidia Sample
Storage Crucial M4 SSD 64GB's / Seagate Barracuda 2TB / Seagate Barracuda 320GB's
Display(s) 22" LG FLATRON 1920 x 1280p
Case Thermaltake Commander G42 Window
Audio Device(s) On-board Dolby 5.1+ Kingston HyperX Cloud 1
Power Supply Themaltake TR2 700W 80plus bronce & APC Pro backup 1000Va
Mouse Tt eSports Level 10M Rev 1.0 Diamond Black & Tt Conkor "L" mouse pad
Keyboard Tt eSports KNUCKER
Software windows 10x64Pro
Benchmark Scores well I've fried a 775' P4 12 years ago, that counts?
the difference between using just distilled water and silver coils in tubing vs pre-mixed coolant is not even noticeable and using that distilled water and the solver coil will make the loop almost and AIO that will just need to have some cleanliness on the rad...
so why getting another fluids on the loop? and a ultra pain in the ass with the ood results you might get... distilled water and silver dice are cheap enough to get... also coolants are pretty cheap...

.there are systems that are fully submerged with oil, not just flowing through tubes.
correct... oil chilled systems... well the biggest disadvantage there is that everything you'll submerge there is almost lost... [cleaning all back for a future sale ...nahh not worth at all ]

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Why not the most simple form of liquids... Water? Automotive coolants are designed to run through various metals and operating temperatures outside that of a computer. Other oils just put unneeded stress on the pump. Computer water pumps are designed to operate best using water.

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Processor intel i7 3770 *Dellided*
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev. 1.1
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro + Tt Riing12 x2 / Tt ThunderBlade / Gelid Slim 120UV fans
Memory 16GB DRR3 Kingoston with Custom Tt spreaders + HyperX Fan
Video Card(s) GeForce GTX 980 4GB Nvidia Sample
Storage Crucial M4 SSD 64GB's / Seagate Barracuda 2TB / Seagate Barracuda 320GB's
Display(s) 22" LG FLATRON 1920 x 1280p
Case Thermaltake Commander G42 Window
Audio Device(s) On-board Dolby 5.1+ Kingston HyperX Cloud 1
Power Supply Themaltake TR2 700W 80plus bronce & APC Pro backup 1000Va
Mouse Tt eSports Level 10M Rev 1.0 Diamond Black & Tt Conkor "L" mouse pad
Keyboard Tt eSports KNUCKER
Software windows 10x64Pro
Benchmark Scores well I've fried a 775' P4 12 years ago, that counts?
System Name Loose nuts & bolts
Processor FX-8350 - EK Supreme HF full nickel
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
Cooling Water EK goodness all around 2xBlack Ice X-280
Memory 2 x8G HyperX Fury 1600 @ 9-9-9-24-1T
Video Card(s) 2 x XFX RX 480 w/EK-FC RX 480 nickel+Acetal
Storage Samsung 850 Evo + 2xWD Black 500GB in RAID0
Display(s) Crossover 27" 2560x1440 110Hz OC
Case Cooler Master HAF XB EVO
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Software Win 10 Enterprise x64
Distilled water and some Redline Water Wetter. I use a 5:1 ratio

Quote:
"Red Line Water Wetter provides corrosion and rust protection for modern aluminum and cast iron cooling systems. This unique additive reduces coolant temperatures by as much as 20 degrees F. It can be used in plain water to provide much better heat transfer properties and protection than glycol-based antifreeze, or added to new or used antifreeze to fortify inhibitors and reduce foaming."

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/red-80204/overview/

People apparently think only oil is a thick oil. Apparently some don't know that oils can be almost as thin as water. Not identical, but so close it's almost hard to tell.

System Name Addison Clark
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x3D delid
Motherboard Asus X670E Hero
Cooling Custom Bykski loop CPU, GPU, 2x 360 rads, and 1x 280 rad with Arctic P12 and P14 ARGB fans
Memory G.Skill DDR5-6000 64GB CL30
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 4090 Aorus Master
Storage Kingston Fury 2TB and 4TB NVME
Display(s) Samsung 57"
Case Lian Li O11 mini
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake 1000w SFX-L
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB SE
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platnium
Software Win 11 Pro
Back in the day when I had all the time in the world and was building my water cooling systems from car heat exchangers I used to use Water Wetter.

System Name Main/DC
Processor i7-3770K/i7-2600K
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD55/GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14CS/H80
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) LP /4GB Kingston DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 660 Ti/MSI HD7770
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB/120GB Samsung 830 & Seagate 2TB(died)
Display(s) Asus 24' LED/Samsung SyncMaster B1940
Case P100/Antec P280 It's huge!
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply SeaSonic SS-660XP2/Seasonic SS-760XP2
Software Win 7 Home Premiun 64 Bit
People apparently think only oil is a thick oil. Apparently some don't know that oils can be almost as thin as water. Not identical, but so close it's almost hard to tell.
I don't think you understand how truly special water is.
While @Brusfantomet mentioned water's ability to carry heat, what was not mentioned was water's high heat transfer rate. Those 2 facts, and that water is cheap and nonreactive, is the reason that water is what is normally used for cooling.
Also, water is easy to pump, normally with (easy to implement) impellers. Oil normally needs a positive displacement pump, which is MUCH more difficult to implement in a closed system. (this barely scratches the surface on this point)

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
for what is worth super high voltage 240K underground power cables are oil filled.. using oil as a coolant aint a new idea.. he he

I think this is primarily because (1) water evaporates and sneaks out much more easily, (2) water boils at 100C, and (3) rust.

Car coolant is for the anti-freeze properties -- it doesn't cool as well, actually.

Regarding that Redline Water Wetter (a surfactant) a very tiny dash of baby shampoo should give a similar effect in water. Or HE detergent (anti-suds). I don't know how the water pumps will react to "finer" water though.

Last edited:
Have been on the lookout for the optimal water cooling cooling medium for some time now, as i see it there is three chemical properties that are important:
Heat capacity
Viscosity
Electrical conductivity

Heat capacity is important because the better it is the better cooling one unit (L/Gal/mL wathever) of the fluid passing through the block will grab more heat from the block.
Viscosity is important because it denotes how difficult it is to force the fluid though the loop, so lower Viscosity better flow.
Electrical conductivity is mostly a nice to have, as it only makes the fluid NOT kill your computer should you get a spill.

In addition, a fluid that is not reactive to the other metals and plastics of the loop, and no thigns can live in (algae)

Something with low viscosity and high heat capacity that wont kill you computer should you spill and is stable would be ideal

Now for the fluids i have found:

Water:
Very high Heat capacity for a fluid: 4.1813 [J/(g*K)]
Very Low Viscosity: 0.894 [CP]
But it is conductive and algae likes to live in it

Propylene glycol: its the stuff in engine coolant additives
Viscosity: 42 [CP]
Still conductive but nothing lives in it, and it has a lower freezing point so its possible to use radiators outside in winter (if you live in a part of the world that gets that kind of temperatures. Also, Here is some interesting stats about water/glycol solutions.

Mineral oil: there is a lot of different oils, but they are high Viscosity.
Viscosity: 35 to 400 [CP]
Not conductive, i dont know if stuff grows in it tho.

There are probably other fluids but the Heat capacity and Viscosity will be the most important ones comparing it to water.

Right track, only a few problems.

1) Water is not conductive. The impurities commonly found in water (and those introduced whenever a metal oxidizes and partially dissolves) conduct electricity. Don't believe me? Get a glass of tap water, salt, and a digital multimeter. As more salt is dissolved into the water you get less resistance.

2) Viscosity isn't really a factor in PC water cooling. The flow rates are comparatively low, which means that the energy required to move the fluids is negligible. Viscosity is only of concern when you've got tiny tubes, and high flow rates. While standard (and cheap) centrifugal pumps would have a harder time with oil, it's not a deal breaker.

3) Everyone's missed the really fundamental part. The difference between inlet and outlet temperatures on radiators varies very minimally (1-2 degrees). As such, oils generally can't heat up enough to actually have a significant difference between their temperature and surrounding air. If the delta between ambient and fluid is very small no heat transfer occurs. This is why we don't use oils.

4) Glycol is an alcohol. Glycol has the tendency to bond to the polarized section of water, and make it "slippery." This is why it's used with water (if the water is less polarized it tends to oxidize less), but not on its own. On its own glycol is another hydrocarbon with relatively poor conductivity.

To all of those people who are commenting about water being special, you're about 80% of the way there. It's a unique substance, in that similar chemicals have a vaporization point so much lower that it isn't funny. Water has a huge heat capacity, it's relatively abundant, and the cost is very low. Oils are used in things like power transformers because the delta between operational and ambient temperature would vaporize water. If you ever get a chance run an old school transformer for some time, and just feel how hot it gets. As industrial transformers are several times larger than than, it isn't hard to imagine 200-300 F temperatures. This is why oil is used. Computers have a delta that is comparatively so small as to be non-existent, which is why we use water.

TL;DR:
Water isn't an arbitrary choice. Water is demonstrably the best option available for PC cooling. We add things to water that make it a worse cooling fluid because it's pretty much the only way chemicals reactions occur (read: aqueous solutions), and water is a great oxidizer. The chemicals we add are uniformly less efficient coolers (in this instance), but their improvements (namely biocidal, aesthetic, or stability) outweigh the substantial costs. While liquid metals do technically have better properties, it's difficult to justify the slight improvements while looking at the smoking slag heap that was your computer.

I think this is primarily because (1) water evaporates and sneaks out much more easily, (2) water boils at 100C, and (3) rust.

Car coolant is for the anti-freeze properties -- it doesn't cool as well, actually.

Regarding that Redline Water Wetter (a surfactant) a very tiny dash of baby shampoo should give a similar effect in water. Or HE detergent (anti-suds). I don't know how the water pumps will react to "finer" water though.

Not quite (to the oil).

The reason that oil is used in high energy lines is that even tiny resistance produce huge amounts of heat. Between that, and the fact that oil is completely non-conductive, oil is used for safety reasons.

Glycol and surfactants are one in the same. Molecules with one polar end and a relatively non-polar end allow water to "stick" to impurities but remain in solution.

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
The reason that oil is used in high energy lines is that even tiny resistance produce huge amounts of heat. Between that, and the fact that oil is completely non-conductive, oil is used for safety reasons.

Ah very good point.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
3) Everyone's missed the really fundamental part. The difference between inlet and outlet temperatures on radiators varies very minimally (1-2 degrees). As such, oils generally can't heat up enough to actually have a significant difference between their temperature and surrounding air. If the delta between ambient and fluid is very small no heat transfer occurs. This is why we don't use oils.
inlet/outlet temps with only 1-2 degrees delta is based on a limited amount of water, a specific heat load, water speed, and specific radiator designs. This is NOT a rule of any sort, merely something skinnee measured and verified within his own loop. I can easily show you differently (I asked my teacher how to do this properly, even). Heating and cooling is my specialty (HVAC).

Reactions: xvi

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
oil would likely make the rubber seals swell up and fail ...
distilled water/silver coil and some glycol are the only things that should be in a loop if you care about performance

cadaveca

My name is Dave
oil would likely make the rubber seals swell up and fail ...
distilled water/silver coil and some glycol are the only things that should be in a loop if you care about performance
flourinert begs to differ. cost is prohibitive, but oh well. No different than spending $1300 on a CPU, or buying 4 VGAs for one system, or even water-cooling! ROFL.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
flourinert begs to differ. cost is prohibitive, but oh well. No different than spending $1300 on a CPU, or buying 4 VGAs for one system, or even water-cooling! ROFL.
lol iv always wanted to swap out water for a 3m fluid in a loop and see what happens
I think 3M Novec 7100 has a boiling point of like 60C

Last edited:
System Name Main/DC
Processor i7-3770K/i7-2600K
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD55/GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14CS/H80
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) LP /4GB Kingston DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 660 Ti/MSI HD7770
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB/120GB Samsung 830 & Seagate 2TB(died)
Display(s) Asus 24' LED/Samsung SyncMaster B1940
Case P100/Antec P280 It's huge!
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply SeaSonic SS-660XP2/Seasonic SS-760XP2
Software Win 7 Home Premiun 64 Bit
The reason that oil is used in high energy lines is that even tiny resistance produce huge amounts of heat.
And when things don't go quite right: (about 100 yards from my house)
DSC_0574_2.jpg

System Name Rainbow
Processor Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC
Cooling Corsair H115i, 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
Memory G. Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity
Storage 2x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | 2xHGST Deskstar 4TB 7.2K
Display(s) Samsung C27HG70
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Power Supply Seasonic 760W SS-760XP
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)
Glycol/water mixes in every single one. Glycol is the one additive that help water's thermal conductivity at the termps we use, and also prevents the AIO's from popping under expansion while shipping (or you'd never get one in the mail from Newegg).
Distilled water and some Redline Water Wetter. I use a 5:1 ratio
I picked up some water wetter from Walmart for pretty cheap (basically just glycol in a bottle). I ran that in my loop for a while. When I first added it, it managed to find and remove a lot of small bubbles trapped in my loop almost immediately. Worked better than dish soap and gave my water a nice green tint.

I think @Norton has some experience running a bit of radiator fluid in his loops. Care to weigh in, sir?

Norton

Moderator - Returning from the Darkness
Staff member
System Name Main PC- Gamer- Main Cruncher/Folder and too many crunching/folding rigs
Processor Ryzen 5900X- Ryzen 5950X- Ryzen 3950X and etc...
Motherboard Asrock X570 Extreme4- MSI X570S Tomahawk MAX WiFi- MSI B450M Bazooka Max and etc...
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S (dual fan)- EK 360 AIO with push/pull fans- Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT and etc...
Memory 2x16GB GSkill FlareX 3200/c14- 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3600/c16- 2x16GB Team 3600/c18 and etc..
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming RX 6800- Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC- MSI Ventus GTX 1660Ti and etc...
Storage Main PC (1TB WD SN850- 2TB PNY CS 3040- 2TB Seagate Firecuda) and etc...
Display(s) Main PC (2x24" Dell UltraSharp U2414H)
Case Phanteks P600s- Seasonic Q704- Fractal Meshify C and etc...
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 THX 2.1 speakers
Power Supply EVGA 750 G3- SeaSonic DGC 750- EVGA P2 850 and etc...
Mouse G300s
Keyboard Corsair K65
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 10 Pro or Ubuntu
Benchmark Scores Why sit on the Bench when you can get in the game and Crunch!!!
I think @Norton has some experience running a bit of radiator fluid in his loops. Care to weigh in, sir?
Wasn't me? I use straight distilled water in mine and have had no issues thus far.

I'm not against using a bit (<5%) of radiator fluid or methanol in a loop since just that will do a good job inhibiting bacterial growth w/o significantly affecting the performance of just water.

Reactions: xvi
inlet/outlet temps with only 1-2 degrees delta is based on a limited amount of water, a specific heat load, water speed, and specific radiator designs. This is NOT a rule of any sort, merely something skinnee measured and verified within his own loop. I can easily show you differently (I asked my teacher how to do this properly, even). Heating and cooling is my specialty (HVAC).

Are you really asking to rehash a discussion in which I already proved my point?: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/water-cooling-questions.216240/

Jesus, you were the one questioning my units, even after I proved everything out using the only sensible measuring system (and I'm saying this to a Canadian, as someone from the US; if I didn't know better I'd say I was drunk).

I'll ask out of courtesy again, but if you really want to start the math there I'm more than happy to copy and paste.

Respectfully, I trust measurements and a year and a half worth of college classes more than rules of thumb from HVAC. That little blue book is awesome for getting the ballpark figures for gasses (read: stuff people measure frequently but are compressible and very dependent upon atmosphere), but I've yet to see that little blue book produce consistently accurate results (within 5%) for complex situations. If you'd like to change conditions you can prove anything, but it's stupid. Nobody has a lake to cool their system, nobody expects a thimble of water to cool their system (except in phase change cooling, but that's another story), and changing the system specifications is stupid. I proved that a single degree of temperature across a radiator, dissipates 250 Watts of thermal energy. Even a socket 2011 processor (140 Watts) and a trio of 390x GPUs (275 Watts each) would only produce a change in temperature of 4 degrees C (965/250) at most.

Can we please not rehash this?

System Name Rainbow
Processor Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC
Cooling Corsair H115i, 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
Memory G. Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity
Storage 2x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | 2xHGST Deskstar 4TB 7.2K
Display(s) Samsung C27HG70
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Power Supply Seasonic 760W SS-760XP
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Can we please not rehash this?
When you stop posting bullshit, I'll stop refuting it. It takes how many watts to raise 1 lb of water one degree? This is science!

EDIT:

to clarify, a watt is a measurement of the rate of energy, not the amount. This is why your power bill reflects kwh, not kw. The rate of energy (kw), over a specified time(h).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.