• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cooling a X1650.....the fan's location is correct??

CH@NO

System Name Thank God you're back!!!
Processor Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.1GHz (stock)
Motherboard ECS H67H2-M3
Cooling Stock + 1 X 80mm Thermaltake red LED
Memory 1 X 4 GB Kingston 1333MHz DDR3
Video Card(s) coming soon
Storage 1TB Seagate SATAII + 500GB Hitachi USB (External)
Display(s) Samsung 20" LED Widescreen
Case coming soon
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek HD 6ch Audio
Power Supply Generic 450W with 20A on the 12v+ rail
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores coming soon
Hi Community.

Few days ago I install a GIGABYTE X1650 card, this card has a passive cooling (heatsink)....a MASSIVE heatsink, almost the entire card is covered with it, since my system reaches 57 celsius and my CPU 52 celsius (when gaming, normal use reaches 45/45 aprox.)

To maintain the card more cooler I decide to install a 60mm fan on the card, since the heatsink is to huge I cant find a correct place to attach the fan, so I decide to install it on the backside of the card where the VPU chipset resides.

The airflow seems to be helping with the cooling, but I cannot say it for sure since this card hasnt a temp. reading chip (I HATE that, why ATi/Nvidia doesnt include this chip on all its cards....it is SO expensive?).

My question is if the location of the fan is correct........oh, and I decide to install it 'cause I run a few games and I oveclocked the card, I still dont suffer any problem with the OC, I did it just in case...

Thanx.

Processor Intel Core i5 4690K
Motherboard AsRock Z97 Extreme4
Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) R9 Nano
Storage 256GB SATA SSD 2TB WD Blue
Display(s) 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master Elite 130
Power Supply CX650M
Software Argh, Windows 10. I hated Windows 7. I hate Windows 10 more. Give me back XP!!!
I HATE that, why ATi/Nvidia doesnt include this chip on all its cards....it is SO expensive

ati/nvidia almost always spec out the card to have a temperature monitoring chip, it is up to the actual manufacture(sapphire, gigabyte, powercolor, asus, xfx, evga, etc.) to decide weather they want to actually put the chip on the card or not.

CH@NO

System Name Thank God you're back!!!
Processor Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.1GHz (stock)
Motherboard ECS H67H2-M3
Cooling Stock + 1 X 80mm Thermaltake red LED
Memory 1 X 4 GB Kingston 1333MHz DDR3
Video Card(s) coming soon
Storage 1TB Seagate SATAII + 500GB Hitachi USB (External)
Display(s) Samsung 20" LED Widescreen
Case coming soon
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek HD 6ch Audio
Power Supply Generic 450W with 20A on the 12v+ rail
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores coming soon
ati/nvidia almost always spec out the card to have a temperature monitoring chip, it is up to the actual manufacture(sapphire, gigabyte, powercolor, asus, xfx, evga, etc.) to decide weather they want to actually put the chip on the card or not.

Yeah man, that is so unfare, this companies force us to buy a higher model...and more expensive. Anyway, I will need to use my super natural powers to guess the temp. card.....luckly I have this powers....if NOT.....:D

and sorry for the bad english.......oh!, and thanx for the reply.

You're understandable, heheh
My old 6600 (here I go again) had th temp. chip on the board, but it was disabled in the BIOS. So might be an idea to find a BIOS for teh same card with similar clock speeds and voltage (so it doesn't become too much for your heatsink) and that has the temp. chip working, or enabled and flash it.
Just make sure you're careful at finding the right BIOS, and doing the right commands, and if possible, have a PCI card to hand just in case something goes terribly a miss.