• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming Fan Spikes

Vith

Some people told me, that if you turn the PC Case upside down, the grinding sound is disappears. Is it so?:confused:
I have a Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1, and if my case is vertical (fans parallel to the floor), I have the grinding noise when the fans start spinning. When I'm not gaming they "spike", starting and stopping every minute or so, it depends on the temperature, if I'm watching videos etc. Every single time they start, I hear that noise. I'm using the latest BIOS 86.04.50.00.7A.
However, if the case is horizontal (fans perpendicular to the floor), there is no noise. I want to have it vertical, so my "fix" is disabling 3d active fan. Sometimes the card seems to ignore this option and stops/starts the fan anyway, so I use manual settings instead. This way I can keep them spinning all the time. My PSU makes more noise, so I guess it's ok. It may be a problem if you have a fanless PSU and want total silence, not sure. The problem is every time I reboot, the fan curve is blank, the grinding comes back, and I have to deselect and select the option again. So I just suspend the computer, and that's how I get rid of the noise.

Also, many people told me that the grinding sound appear when the fan touches the wire. This is true?
I watched a youtube video where a guy explained that same thing. I pushed the wires as much as I could, as the instructions say, but it didn't work. I don't think this is the problem my card has. I mean, they don't touch the fans, and if for some reason they do (because of vibrations when they start spinning or something), it's not a problem I have been able to fix. I just can't push them more, they are fine.

My card has an extremely loud coil whine when I'm gaming. I can't hear it with my headphones on, but it is unfortunate, because I really wanted a card without this problem. My previous gpu had it too, it's a common problem, I tried with 3 different PSUs and there was no improvement.

Also, every time I start gigabyte xtreme gaming tool, it executes nvflash.exe that complains about firmware image filename not having a valid extension. Not sure why that happens but I wish it didn't, it's only a console window flashing, but it beeps, it's annoying. I would like to know if I'm the only one with this problem.

The gpu has nice temperatures and performance, but these things are unfortunate and I wish I could return it and get another brand. I wish the reviews I read had warned me about them. The problem is other brands may have other problems, like fan noise that is permanent instead of only happening when starting, etc. Anyway, it's too late, and I've learned to ignore this things and enjoy the 90+ fps I usually get.

Bloody

There is a new BIOS for my GPU which changed some timeouts and the fans still grind when they start up but they only do so once every few minutes which is much more acceptable for me. YMMV.

There were multiple branches/versions of VBIOS for my GPU (F10/F11 vs FB0/FB1 etc) and there didn't seem to be a tool to tell me exactly which one I had (and ergo which one I needed to flash), so I made one: https://github.com/LTBloody/GigaVBIOSVerTool/releases
It works by reading a GPU-Z BIOS dump file and showing the relevant information (if found). Mind you that this may not work for your GPU since I only had my own BIOS dump to test it. It's completely harmless and makes no modifications to your GPU or your BIOS dump, it opens the file in read-only mode and that's everything it does. The sourcecode is right there too for those who are interested in that.

denisgsv

just registered to add i have this problem too with : Gigabyte WF2OC-3GD , wondering if ii should replace it with the same model or buy another one thinking of this : Asus GeForce GTX 1060 TURBO-GTX1060-6G

Atm solved my problem with MSI AB manual curve setting idle to 20%.

What did rest do ? Have you replaced it ? Did the new one work better ?

Last edited:

jamb0jamie

There is a new BIOS for my GPU which changed some timeouts and the fans still grind when they start up but they only do so once every few minutes which is much more acceptable for me. YMMV.

There were multiple branches/versions of VBIOS for my GPU (F10/F11 vs FB0/FB1 etc) and there didn't seem to be a tool to tell me exactly which one I had (and ergo which one I needed to flash), so I made one: https://github.com/LTBloody/GigaVBIOSVerTool/releases
It works by reading a GPU-Z BIOS dump file and showing the relevant information (if found). Mind you that this may not work for your GPU since I only had my own BIOS dump to test it. It's completely harmless and makes no modifications to your GPU or your BIOS dump, it opens the file in read-only mode and that's everything it does. The sourcecode is right there too for those who are interested in that.
Nice work bloody

Last edited:

scary_terry

I am another new member who signed up just to post in this thread. I have a Gigabyte 1080 G1 card, and it has been doing the fan spin up/down ever since I got the card. I also had a 1070 G1 before upgrading to the 1080, it did the same exact thing as well.

Suggesting to set the fans at a constant 20% isn't really a fix. The fan stop is a feature of the card, and Gigabyte has yet to respond to the many buyers which makes me wonder if Gigabyte really cares about their customers.

I would love to send this card back and get an EVGA, but I cannot have their thermal issues potentially blow my entire rig up. Not to mention, it appears EVGA also suffer from this fan spin up/down issue as well.

I am another new member who signed up just to post in this thread. I have a Gigabyte 1080 G1 card, and it has been doing the fan spin up/down ever since I got the card. I also had a 1070 G1 before upgrading to the 1080, it did the same exact thing as well.

Suggesting to set the fans at a constant 20% isn't really a fix. The fan stop is a feature of the card, and Gigabyte has yet to respond to the many buyers which makes me wonder if Gigabyte really cares about their customers.

I would love to send this card back and get an EVGA, but I cannot have their thermal issues potentially blow my entire rig up. Not to mention, it appears EVGA also suffer from this fan spin up/down issue as well.

Do you have the same grinding sound, when the fans start spinning, on 1070 and 1080 G1 Gaming?

scary_terry

Do you have the same grinding sound, when the fans start spinning, on 1070 and 1080 G1 Gaming?
Yep, same exact noise. The 1080 is a pinch louder when the fans start up, but they both do the same exact start/stop constantly. It is always at 49/50 degrees, which of course if what both the cards kept staying at.

Hello all,

so today I updated my vbios from F1 to F2 and the problem is more or less fixed. Now it only spikes once when the temp reaches 51C but when the gpu starts to cool down the fans turn off normally without spiking. The rpm goes from 20% (800 rpm) to 0% (0 rpm) without a single spike.

Thank you Gigabyte for fixing this :)

scary_terry

I would just like to add that updating my cards to F2 bios did not fix the issue for me. It still spins up and down.

jamb0jamie

Damocles, This has always been the case. It always has spun loudly after 50C this hasnt changed.

Damocles, This has always been the case. It always has spun loudly after 50C this hasnt changed.
I know. As I stated in my previous post, the only time it spikes is when the temp rises to 51c.

Last edited:

Andrey_Russia

I think the problem in the start-stop fans, there are two solutions:

1. If you have well cooled case, it is possible to adjust the temperature profile as follows:

2. Temperature profile :

But after starting the computer you need to warm up the GPU to 60 ° C, for example to run FurMark for 10 seconds.

See the fan speed and temperature.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 1,162
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 966
Last edited:

scary_terry

Any chance some of you have more than one monitor connected to your card?

I have three, two via DP and one via DVI. I noticed in nvidiainspector, the card refused to downclock the GPU and stayed in P0 power state when I had all three active. I have absolutely nothing open. So, I unplugged one, and boom, it downclocked instantly, and put the GPU into P8. Plugged it back in, instantly back to P0 and increased clock on the GPU.

I have since then enabled iGPU (video out via CPU) and have since had zero issues with my fan starting and stopping. It'll do it every once in a while, but that I have no problem with. I am currently idling at 45 degrees and in P8.

TL;DR: Plug only 1 monitor into your GPU. Everything else goes into your CPU video. Enjoy power saving on the GPU, lower temps, and seldom fan spinning up and down.

Devadical

I have 2 monitors connected to my card and it has these random fan spikes. I'm using the Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming.
When it randomly spins up (even when the pc is doing nothing) it just goes out of controll. The sound it makes sounds like it's going to take off, like 80% or 90% spinning speed, but only one fan is spinning.

Here is a video that i made when it kept going for a longer period:

Gigabyte told me to update my card bios to f2 and reset all xtreme gaming engine settings to default. But it all didn't help. And because only one fan is spinning, the GPU-Z software isn't registering any fan movement.

Anyone else has some idea's?

D

Deleted member 170107

I'm having a similar problem. I have a G1 GTX 1070, and apparently, when in idle, my graphic card's third fan starts spinning up to 4200 RPM for no apparent reason, while the others don't spin. MSI Afterburner seems not to affect the fans' speed, as they don't do as I want. Sometimes they do follow my fan curve for a while, and then the first two fans stop spinning and the third one starts spinning very fast. I have updated the BIOS to the latest version, but I honestly don't know what else to do.

EDIT: I managed to fix it. Apparently, the other two fans were "obstructed" by the little sata cable running below them. Now, if those fans get obstructed by something, they stop running to prevent damages. Since they stop running, the third fan went all the way up to try and work for the three of them. Now that I freed all the fans, they work perfectly and respond to the fan curve set through MSI Afterburner.

Last edited by a moderator:

Devadical

I'm having a similar problem. I have a G1 GTX 1070, and apparently, when in idle, my graphic card's third fan starts spinning up to 4200 RPM for no apparent reason, while the others don't spin. MSI Afterburner seems not to affect the fans' speed, as they don't do as I want. Sometimes they do follow my fan curve for a while, and then the first two fans stop spinning and the third one starts spinning very fast. I have updated the BIOS to the latest version, but I honestly don't know what else to do.

EDIT: I managed to fix it. Apparently, the other two fans were "obstructed" by the little sata cable running below them. Now, if those fans get obstructed by something, they stop running to prevent damages. Since they stop running, the third fan went all the way up to try and work for the three of them. Now that I freed all the fans, they work perfectly and respond to the fan curve set through MSI Afterburner.

My fans are working properly while gaming and stuff, but randomly the middle fan starts spinning up way faster than the other 2.
Gigabyte says that they can't close out the problem and they don't know what to search for. They told me to contact my supplier, I'm sending it back.

Thanks anyway for the reply

kabloui

My fans are working properly while gaming and stuff, but randomly the middle fan starts spinning up way faster than the other 2.
Gigabyte says that they can't close out the problem and they don't know what to search for. They told me to contact my supplier, I'm sending it back.

Thanks anyway for the reply

Ive got the same problem with the middle fan spinning wayyy to faster than the other ones, ive searched all the internet a few hours without result, ive updated the bios, reinstalled my drivers. Then I got the idea to plug an arduino on it with temp sensors and manually regulate each fan independently. It was with my test that I found out the real problem of the middle fan spinning faster than the side ones. It is just because the 2 other fans got dust or something physically inside that makes them spinning slower than the middle

System Name Main system
Processor Intel Core-i7 4790K @4.5
Motherboard Asus Z97-Pro Gamer
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 32 Gig (16 GigADATA XPG V2 DDR3 2400 + 16 Gig Geil Evo Veloce DDR3 1600 CL11)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming
Storage Western Digital Blue Cavier 500 and 1 Terabyte + 1 Terabyte Green Cavier + Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500G
Display(s) ASUS ML238 LED Monitor
Case Green Viper X3
Audio Device(s) Onboard-Realtek
Power Supply Green 700watt (Its a rebranded psu from highpower/kolink I guess)
Software Windows 10 /Ubuntu 16.04
updated to F2, but the problem of fan spikes still exists .
I think if these spikes continue like this, fans will get worn out pretty soon and stop working for good!
This shouldnt be pretty easy to implement! I wonder what keeps Gigabyte devs from releasing a proper bios!
This really makes me not to ever buy from Gigabyte again!

Devadical

updated to F2, but the problem of fan spikes still exists .
I think if these spikes continue like this, fans will get worn out pretty soon and stop working for good!
This shouldnt be pretty easy to implement! I wonder what keeps Gigabyte devs from releasing a proper bios!
This really makes me not to ever buy from Gigabyte again!

If you still got warranty, just send it back to your supplier. They've send me a brand new one and it works like a charm. I've been through all the same shit as you with gigabyte support and trying to find answers online. Just send it back and it will save you hours of work.

Just a quick update. If you lay the PC case down to the right side, the noise completely goes away.

Just a quick update. If you lay the PC case down to the right side, the noise completely goes away.
Yes I know. And yet it is interesting, what is the reason for this sound? Defective fans? Are the fans on your video card still working? It's been a year now.

Bloody

Fans working fine for me, still making that sound on occasion but the firmware update helped a little.