• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming Fan Spikes

Yes I know. And yet it is interesting, what is the reason for this sound? Defective fans? Are the fans on your video card still working? It's been a year now.
Yes, they're working perfectly fine. The strange thing is, this sound does not occur, when the fans are spinning.

Last edited:

jellowiggler

I had two issues with my 1080 windforce oc.

1. The third fan was hitting the cable running to it inside the shroud. Easily fixed. Just pushed into place.
2. After 2 days of ownership the fans changed behavor. They would no longer go into stop mode and at random times the third fan would stop (0rpm on measuring software) and the other two would go to max speed. I figured out the if I helped the third fan to spin back up everything would go back to normal. Nothing was blocking the fan. They would right themselves after about 10 minutes as well. I seemed to help if I set the fan curve to minimum 20%, but it did NOT solve it. Just seemed to make it less likely.

I returned the card and I am waiting for an evga card. I mailed gigbyte support for both issues. No replies.

I have used their motherboards for years. Propbably not doing any more with them again. That is not how I expect to be treated for a very expensive component.

I did get a reply to my first of two questions to Gigabyte support. It took them 5 days to say that "if the fans are spinning normally don't worry.". That's a fair answer, my first question was just to note that when it shipped the fan was catching on its power cable.

5 days to hear back is a bit long though.

Last edited by a moderator:
The strange thing is, this sound does not occur, when the fans are spinning.
Yes, really strange thing! I just tried to download the Xtreme Engine utility and noticed that if I set fan curve at 13%, then the fans will start spinning and stop with a characteristic grinding sound. Sometimes only one fan is started. The fans can be started normally, if I set up to 15%. But at 15% I hear a constant quiet crunch. Do you have such a problem? Is it normal? My BIOS version is F1. I'm hella happy with this graphics card, but the fans disappoint me :-(

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
This sounds like a quality control issue.

Here is the video:

This sounds like a quality control issue.

This is a huge problem with the latest graphic cards from Gigabyte.

This sound is similar to the sound of the Corsair AF series fans at low RPM.

Last edited:

Romeo 04

I've been having the same issue and its been driving me nuts.
I just took the card out and had a look at the fans but couldn't see anything, put the card back in and turned the PC on.
When the noise started I bravely stopped all the fans with my fingers but the noise was still going on.
Bemused by this I let go of the fans and lent on the top left of the case and it went silent. I let go and the noise was present. Lent back on the case and it was silent.

I'd be curious to know if anyone else gets the same result.
Could this just be a vibration issue?
I've loosened the side panel a little and it's not as bad as it used to be.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Bemused by this I let go of the fans and lent on the top left of the case and it went silent. I let go and the noise was present. Lent back on the case and it was silent.
something is potentially slightly loose with your Case ^ ^^ shows its not the Card
Could this just be a vibration issue?
potentially Yes
I would carefully loosed then re tighten all Screws relating to your Case /hard Drive/Optical drive and add on Cards including your PSU
See if that eliminates the noise/Vibration issue

System Name Main system
Processor Intel Core-i7 4790K @4.5
Motherboard Asus Z97-Pro Gamer
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 32 Gig (16 GigADATA XPG V2 DDR3 2400 + 16 Gig Geil Evo Veloce DDR3 1600 CL11)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming
Storage Western Digital Blue Cavier 500 and 1 Terabyte + 1 Terabyte Green Cavier + Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500G
Display(s) ASUS ML238 LED Monitor
Case Green Viper X3
Audio Device(s) Onboard-Realtek
Power Supply Green 700watt (Its a rebranded psu from highpower/kolink I guess)
Software Windows 10 /Ubuntu 16.04
If you still got warranty, just send it back to your supplier. They've send me a brand new one and it works like a charm. I've been through all the same shit as you with gigabyte support and trying to find answers online. Just send it back and it will save you hours of work.
Couldnt do it and still cant, because its constantly under load, if I send it back, I'm 100% sure it will take more than 2 weeks and that's an optimistic estimate! I'm sure they won't do anything about it.
couple of weeks ago, I noticed all of a sudden, the fan RPM reached 3000/4000 or so, it spun so fast that really scared me! the sound was extremely high and as if a jet engine is spinning inside my case!! and then it quickly was turned off! all 3 of them!
The GPU temp quickly hit 98 99 C and I had to quickly terminate my long-running experiment and navigate and run Gigabyte Extreme Engine and set the Fan on the turbo mode and it started working again! and the card wasn't even overclocked!.
I dont know what would happen if I weren't there, at the very least I'm sure that would have probably fried my GPU for good!
This is serious, I have never seen anything like this before! anything!

dazworld

We are working on it.
For the 1070 G1 the F2_beta is an update to F1 and we will have an update for F10 which will be F11 or F11_beta.

Hi,

Purchasing the card Dec 2016 it's mine makes a noise when starting too.

I'm running I guess the latest BIOS 86.04.17.40.38 (newer than the one you're listing above which you say fixes the issue).

I returned it to Overclockers, who returned it back saying there was nothing wrong with it. Although they were quick turning it around, through my pushing them they've agreed for me to return it a 2nd time.
I don't want to be without the card for a week - but my card still makes a noise and I've now only seen your posts about this issue.

Noise - https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=3skVophurVU

Is there an update?

Thanks

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Hi,

Purchasing the card Dec 2016 it's mine makes a noise when starting too.

I'm running I guess the latest BIOS 86.04.17.40.38 (newer than the one you're listing above which you say fixes the issue).

I returned it to Overclockers, who returned it back saying there was nothing wrong with it. Although they were quick turning it around, through my pushing them they've agreed for me to return it a 2nd time.
I don't want to be without the card for a week - but my card still makes a noise and I've now only seen your posts about this issue.

Noise - https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=3skVophurVU

Is there an update?

Thanks

Well it would be, his post is well over a year old? Not sure if you will get a response as he has not visited for 7 months.