• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Wireless connection problem

Kamekaze

Hi,
I've been having problems with my wireless Internet connection since I reformatted my HDD.

Before I formatted, my computer was picking up the wireless fine with very good/excellent, but now it always has a low/very low connection and always goes below 11mbps, or it doesn't connect. Both the wireless router and my computer are in exactly the same place as before. I have tried reinstalling my wireless card, using repair etc. Both of the areal things out of my PC and the wireless are sticking up. Atm, it seems to be working OK on low connection.

Any ideas?

ex_reven

Could you post the hardware your using?
Your router and your wireless card?

What is the distance between router and wireless reciever and are there any obstacles?

If your wireless card has an antenna, download this and move the antenna around and see if you can get improved reception. http://downloads.netstumbler.com/downloads/netstumblerinstaller_0_4_0.exe

This is also a good site to have a look at.
http://www.wardrive.net/

Its all about picking up other peoples networks and piggybacking wireless signals, but the principal is the same and they offer some good advice about antennas and such.

Kamekaze

OK, well...

- Realtek RTL8185 Wireless LAN card
- CNet CNAP-711 11mbps wireless access point

The distance between my PC and the router is about 10 metres max. Only obstacle is a thin wall.

Thanks, I'm about to try that antenna tool...

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Make sure you're not connecting to the wrong router. Perhaps it's picking up a neighbor's, instead of yours.

System Name AMD '13
Processor FX-6300 @ 4.43GHz (1.35v)
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 rev 1.0 (F6)
Cooling Cooler Master T2 + x2 case fans
Memory 2x4Gb Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (Stock)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX650 Ti OC 2Gb @ 1110/1500
Storage Corsair 240Gb SSD / Seagate 500Gb HDD + old skool IDE HDD's x 3
Display(s) Acer 23'' LED
Case Billy Basic
Audio Device(s) Onboard 8.1 HD
Power Supply Corsair CX600
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores Smenchmarks
You could try changing the channel the wireless broadcasts on, just go into wireless settings in the router and amend

ex_reven

OK, well...

- Realtek RTL8185 Wireless LAN card
- CNet CNAP-711 11mbps wireless access point

The distance between my PC and the router is about 10 metres max. Only obstacle is a thin wall.

Thanks, I'm about to try that antenna tool...

could you give some more info about that wall.
It might be thin, but if it has insulation it could potentially be troublesome. Although since you said you didnt have this problem before this probably isnt the culprit.

Other possible causes could be new phones, as they use the same frequency. Also Id take a look through your router configuration because I know in mine I can configure different speeds/connection types so definately have a look at that. If you havnt changed the default password for the router, its totally possible that someone else has connected and changed your settings not realising its not their router lol.