• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel's Raja Koduri Refutes Rumors About Company Cancelling Arc Graphics

Intel's accelerated computing group head Raja Koduri, who heads the team behind the Arc "Alchemist" graphics, on late-Sunday, refuted rumors about the company shutting down the Arc graphics product line.
Put another way, these rumors are stupidly without merit. Only people who use their head for a seat cushion would believe them.

Last edited:
Exactly. Why would anyone in their right mind cancel a multimillion USD project before fruition?

Edit: I love the picture with the loosely connected power plugs! :roll:
You’re right. They won’t pull out after spending millions. They will pull out after spending billions! Just look at Itanium. But at least Itanium had a good run for awhile. Not so sure about these GPUs.

Last edited:
Persistence is key. I hope they persist, tune the drivers, and release battlemage on time.

You’re right. They won’t pull out after spending millions. They will pull out after spending billions! Just look at Itanium. But at least Itanium had a good run for awhile. Not so sure about these GPUs.
As you said, Itanium actually made money. Not a lot, but it did break-even after a few years. Your point isn't one as you contradicted yourself.

I think it's still possible for Intel to "cancel" most of the discrete ARC lineup and continue to develop the next generation. And release just a limited amount of this more or less failed generation cards, just so they can tell the investors it went "according to plan".

Hoping is coping. Even though I despise intel I too would like them to create more pressure on those lazy AMD and nvidia.
greedy not lazy, I'm sure they are busy as a bee trying to maximize their profit!

As you said, Itanium actually made money. Not a lot, but it did break-even after a few years. Your point isn't one as you contradicted yourself.
Spending on development and making money on said development are two separate but related things. I just commented on the former and made no comment on the later. You cannot contradict yourself when only talking about one side of the equation.

Edit: withdrawn. I did comment on Itanium having a good run.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
if Intel cancels ARC them might as well cancel Intel alltogether

they have no logical reason to cancel ARC, they just got a 20-30 billion dollar blank check from tax payers this summer. they can play around a little if they like and see where it goes.

must be nice living in a corporate welfare state, that prides itself at night before bed about being about the free markets, while simultaneously denying the welfare state for the core things humans need to be affordable: transportation, food, healthcare, education. :roll:

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Intel has been profitable for decades. Surely it can't be a financial decision to cancel ARC. It will take a couple of more years of experience to succeed and stabilize along Nvidia/AMD. But executives and stock holders aren't in this for the longer run. It is always about short term profit.
You are both, right and wrong about that.
At least some investors will stay in to ride it out while others will be in it for quick gains as you put it.

Speaking of how you put it, was stated as an absolute amongst ALL owners of stock regardless but that's not correct at all, there are investors and then there are investors.

What I'm seeing is it depends on how things go.

The number of investors involved based on whether they are short or long term investors will have an effect too. If there is a majority of short investors that want to bail then it's trouble for sure, if there is a majority of long term investors they'll tend to (But not neccesarily) ride it out, however the REAL factor out of these two investment camps is....
Who has the most money.

Even a single investor, regardless of which side they are on (Short or long term) can sway things - Just ask Buffett about that.
He IS the type if something isn't profitable, he'll do away with it without any hesitation about it.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I mean... when you have a site like this one that does not even fact-check their sources BEFORE flying off the hip with obvious hatred and refuse to redacted its piece days later, though:

Intel might need to send to these clowns A C&D doublet.
No just a Arc GPU on sale and available for purchase.

Well, exiting other business means a lot of things. Intel is heavily invested in SoC, FPGA and other ASICs not used in personal computers.

iO

Processor R7 5700x
Motherboard MSI B450i Gaming
Cooling Accelero Mono CPU Edition
Memory 16 GB VLP
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6700 XT
Storage P34A80 512GB
Display(s) LG 27UM67 UHD
Case none
Power Supply SS G-650
Yea, that means nothing.
Just look at Optane, denied rumours in March but then killed it in July.

And just last week Gelsinger himself talked about killing of other divisions while focusing on it's core business...

Even the worst case scenario, which is that Arc is a huge flop, and Intel only earns back a fraction of their investment is still better than cancelling the whole thing, not even having the chance to earn back anything.
Have you ever heard of the Sunken cost fallacy?

If they continue the program, they have to continue to spend en R&D, pay for mask at fabs, pay for the drivers teams to support all those sku, etc.

some of the cost can be shifted to the iGPU but not all. At some point it's not worth it if they don't plan to invest enough to compete.

I think Intel have 2 flaw here.
1). they wanted to become a market leader right away and went big from start and faced many issue upfront. I think they should have try at least to beat AMD iGPU to start with and start small and every gen, get a bit bigger while learning the process and improving the drivers. But intel can't stand to not be the top performer.

2. Intel just grew too fast and hired way too much. It take a lot of time to build a team and get good at doing something and adding too much people complicate things, It's much easier to add 1-2 guy at the time in a well running teams than trippling the teams with news guys from everywhere.

I still think that if intel cancel Arc, that is a mistake for them. They need that to stay relevant in the future.

I think it's still possible for Intel to "cancel" most of the discrete ARC lineup and continue to develop the next generation. And release just a limited amount of this more or less failed generation cards, just so they can tell the investors it went "according to plan".
That is not only a silly notion but makes no sense considering that Intel has already started ramping up stock production.

Yea, that means nothing.
Just look at Optane, denied rumours in March but then killed it in July.

And just last week Gelsinger himself talked about killing of other divisions while focusing on it's core business...
Meritless opinion.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Meritless opinion.

Meritless? They mention two examples of what Intel has done and said...those are facts.
And if their opinion is based on the facts they mentioned, its not meritless.

Last edited:
Meritless?
Completely.
I mentions to examples of what Intel has done and said...those are facts.
And if their opinion is based on the facts they mentioned its not meritless.
You're missing some context. Opinions based on flawed perceptions of fact does not make for factual information. It's called spin and only knuckle-draggers and tree-swinging poo-flingers will buy it..

Last edited:
No just a Arc GPU on sale and available for purchase.
I'm not understanding your comment.

But, whatever it means, TT, CB, etc. did not need to take things personal, and lose their integrity at the same time (obviously, they did here for no damn apparent reason but only *feeling entitled* to Intel's products, first, but Intel had chosen Linus instead for its Arc exclusive revealing :laugh:) and activate an Intel smear campaign since the early part of the summer.

System Name Trackstar
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D -30 All Core CO (on Corsair XC5 block)
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 AORUS Elite V2 Rev 1.0 (F17 BIOS)
Cooling Corsair XD5 pump / Corsair XR5 1x 360mm (front) + 1x 420mm (top) rads
Memory 32GB G.Skill DDR4-3600 CL14 (F4-3600C14Q-32GVKA)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6950XT OC Formula (on Bykski A-AR6900XTOCF-X block)
Storage WD_BLACK SN850X 2TB w/HS
Display(s) Dell S3222DGM 32" 1440p/165Hz
Case Fractal Design Meshify S2
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1200 Integrated Audio
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1200W / Liebert GXT4-1500RT120 UPS
Mouse Corsair Nightsword RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60 RGB PRO
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/sw/1131940 https://www.3dmark.com/fs/29315810
That is not only a silly notion but makes no sense considering that Intel has already started ramping up stock production.

Meritless opinion.
Meritless opinion? Those were all things that actually happened. You feeling okay? :kookoo:

Intel would absolutely scale back a project if the board decided it wasn't going to be profitable enough.. Doesn't matter how great it would be to have a third competitor, if the shareholders aren't seeing dollar signs there's always going to be a chance the division will face intense scrutiny.

only knuckle-draggers and tree-swinging poo-flingers will buy it..

How eloquently put ;)

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
If Raja is refuting it then it must be true.

:(

System Name Homebase
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus X570S UD
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5 RGB
Memory 2*16 Kingston Fury DDR4-3600 double ranked
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6800 16 GB
Storage 1*512 WD Red SN700, 1*2TB Curcial P5, 1*2TB Sandisk Plus (TLC), 1*14TB Toshiba MG
Display(s) Philips E-line 275E1S
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Power Supply Corsair RM850 2019
Mouse Sharkoon Sharkforce Pro
Keyboard Fujitsu KB955
Well, Larrabee 2 still might happen. They could ship the whole ARC lineup and some Battlemage GPUs and cut it off there for retail. Shift it to data center and computing, which I believe they do great in.

Xeon Phi aka Knights xxxx series wasn't that bad as a Larrabee offspring. The main focus is to bring Sapphire Rapids finally. All other things might shift in one way or the other, and it wouldn't be the first time to axe something before it really started.

Itanium also made money because HP paid for its life support.

Intel would absolutely scale back a project if the board decided it wasn't going to be profitable enough..
While that seems like reasonable logic, it is in fact meritless. The Intel board is not going to cancel a product line this far into the production process. If they were going to cancel it, they would have done so during the R&D phase like they did with Larrabee. They are well passed that phase and are in the production phase. The limited release of GPU's that seem to have hit the Chinese market were a test and seems to have sold through very well. The Intel board is happy with the progress of the ARC lineup. Any nonsense to the contrary is just jibber-jabber from and for nay-sayers.

How eloquently put
You like that?

Well, Larrabee 2 still might happen.
No, it won't.

System Name Trackstar
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D -30 All Core CO (on Corsair XC5 block)
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 AORUS Elite V2 Rev 1.0 (F17 BIOS)
Cooling Corsair XD5 pump / Corsair XR5 1x 360mm (front) + 1x 420mm (top) rads
Memory 32GB G.Skill DDR4-3600 CL14 (F4-3600C14Q-32GVKA)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6950XT OC Formula (on Bykski A-AR6900XTOCF-X block)
Storage WD_BLACK SN850X 2TB w/HS
Display(s) Dell S3222DGM 32" 1440p/165Hz
Case Fractal Design Meshify S2
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1200 Integrated Audio
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1200W / Liebert GXT4-1500RT120 UPS
Mouse Corsair Nightsword RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60 RGB PRO
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/sw/1131940 https://www.3dmark.com/fs/29315810
While that seems like reasonable logic, it is in fact meritless. The Intel board is not going to cancel a product line this far into the production process. If they were going to cancel it, they would have done so during the R&D phase like they did with Larrabee. They are well passed that phase and are in the production phase. The limited release of GPU's that seem to have hit the Chinese market were a test and seems to have sold through very well. The Intel board is happy with the progress of the ARC lineup. Any nonsense to the contrary is just jibber-jabber from and for nay-sayers.

You like that?

Whatever you say, man. Just don't be shocked if they decide to pull the consumer dGPU div. in favor of pursuing existing business lines. It's absolutely reasonable to worry about the continuance of consumer ARC when they've already proven they're capable of getting rid of established divisions (Optane), even if it means writing off over $500 million dollars of existing inventory. Gelsinger is trying (to his commendation) to restructure Intel and pull off a return to form even if that means streamlining the business.

You like that?

No, I don't, and neither does anybody else on the forum. Personal attacks and name calling only make you look unhinged and childish. If you want to call people out for being ridiculous it's a good idea to make sure you don't look ridiculous first. I'm surprised the mods continue to put up with your inflammatory behavior. :wtf: