• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help with Christmas - "Switch" Stuff for 6 year old boy

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Grandson... err... great-grandson (just saying that makes me feel really old!) is getting an Nintendo Switch from Santa this year. A different console is not up for debate/discussion so going there is not an option. I am assuming his mom and grandma are buying all the basic necessities to make it work. I am looking to pile on some cool extras.

He is 6 years old. I am looking for suggestions for games (age appropriate) or accessories (attachments, peripherals, etc.) to go with the console.

Do all games work in both regular and "Lite" (handheld) console?

I feel I need to get the popular games now - but fear I might already be too late! :(

Hopefully, these suggestions are based on personal experience with self or your own young ones - either what they really like now, or are begging to find under the tree this year.

Thanks.

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex GX-1000, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
My youngest plays our switch the most, and he loves all of the Mario games, well most of them.. skip the party one..

Games work in both models, no worries there :)

I did put a glass screen protector on our console, good investment since the screen is plastic. If you do buy an upgraded controller, the Pro controller is where its at..

System Name G-Station 1.17 FINAL
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
Cooling DeepCool AK620 Digital
Memory Asgard Bragi DDR4-3600CL14 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XTX
Storage 240GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB Asgard AN2, 2TB Hiksemi FUTURE-LITE, 320GB+1TB 7200RPM HDD
Display(s) Samsung 34" Odyssey OLED G8
Case Thermaltake Level 20 MT
Audio Device(s) Astro A40 TR + MixAmp
Power Supply Cougar GEX X2 1000W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite (Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro
Technically speaking, yes. Practically speaking, any game that relies exclusively on joy-con motion (e.g. Super Mario Party) isn't recommended, as the Lite can't be hooked up to a TV nor it has a kickstand to play tabletop.

He is 6 years old. I am looking for suggestions for games (age appropriate) or accessories (attachments, peripherals, etc.) to go with the console.

I feel I need to get the popular games now - but fear I might already be too late! :(

Hopefully, these suggestions are based on personal experience with self or your own young ones - either what they really like now, or are begging to find under the tree this year.
As long as Mario is Mario, anything with him (bar Super Smash Bros, which while light-hearted is still a fighting game) is recommended (ESRB E10+ at most, but I'll only mention E titles). 3D World + Bowser's Fury for 3D while Wonder is the latest 2D platformer, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is the most popular game on the platform bar none (Booster Course Pass HIGHLY recommended). Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is a puzzle game which may be interesting to develop thinking.
On accessories: a storage case is paramount, especially for the Lite. I don't actually know if your (great-)grandson will be allowed to carry the Switch everywhere, but for protecting it whenever out of the Dock (which the Lite doesn't have) it's a must, and the same can be said of a good grip/protective case (I really recommend Skull & Co here for both - MaxCarry and GripCase, their stuff is amazing). If there's interest of the family playing together, an extra pair of joy-cons and/or a Pro Controller is totally worth it (while two can play with the single pair of joy-cons that comes with a non-Lite Switch, I find it quite uncomfortable).

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Wow, less than 30 minutes since I posted and 2 great (and very informative :)) replies have already come in. Thanks.

I knew the Lite model did not have a stand, but didn't realize it could not be hooked up to a TV. I guess with no stand support, that makes sense. Don't need the kid walking off with the handheld still tethered to the TV.

I'm still waiting for my daughter to text me back telling me which model he's getting. I suspect the Lite just because it is portable.

Thanks again for quick and very informative replies.

System Name DLSS / YOLO-PC
Processor i5-12400F / 10600KF
Motherboard Gigabyte B760M DS3H / Z490 Vision D
Cooling Laminar RM1 / Gammaxx 400
Memory 32 GB DDR4-3200 / 16 GB DDR4-3333
Video Card(s) RX 6700 XT / RX 480 8 GB
Storage A couple SSDs, m.2 NVMe included / 240 GB CX1 + 1 TB WD HDD
Display(s) Compit HA2704 / Viewsonic VX3276-MHD-2
Case Matrexx 55 / Junkyard special
Audio Device(s) Want loud, use headphones. Want quiet, use satellites.
Power Supply Thermaltake 1000 W / FSP Epsilon 700 W / Corsair CX650M [backup]
Mouse Don't disturb, cheese eating in progress...
Keyboard Makes some noise. Probably onto something.
VR HMD I live in real reality and don't need a virtual one.
Software Windows 10 and 11
I'd get him an exceptionally great lawyer just in case.

Jokes aside, is getting Pokémon games an option? Must be cool.

I'd also make sure to get backup cables and batteries and whatnot. And I'm not sure about screen quality but 6 y.o. is a very sensitive age, I really recommend consulting an ophtalmologist and in case it's rather a necessity, getting some eye safety (goggles, screen film, or screen time limiter) for the kid. I don't know how it's like to live with blurry vision thanks to my lucky genes but I don't think it's a picnic.

Storage 240GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB Asgard AN2, 2TB Hiksemi FUTURE-LITE, 320GB+1TB 7200RPM HDD
Software Windows 11 Pro
Wow, less than 30 minutes since I posted and 2 great (and very informative :)) replies have already come in. Thanks.

I knew the Lite model did not have a stand, but didn't realize it could not be hooked up to a TV. I guess with no stand support, that makes sense. Don't need the kid walking off with the handheld still tethered to the TV.

I'm still waiting for my daughter to text me back telling me which model he's getting. I suspect the Lite just because it is portable.

Thanks again for quick and very informative replies.
The non-Lites ARE portable, just bigger. That's what I meant with "whenever out of the Dock". It's the Dock that makes the portable Switch connect to the TV but the Lite isn't compatible with it, its USB-C is hardwired not to carry video out.

My son (now 9) has had his Switch for a couple years now. He usually bounces between Mario Kart 8, Animal Crossing, and one of the Lego games (currently Lego The Incredibles, which apparently includes a ton of cross-Pixar characters from Sheriff Woody to Lightning McQueen).

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Screen time (for eyes, social isolation, and mind development) has been a subject of discussion. He has limits per day, but I will remind his mom and grandma (again) to be mindful of them.

The non-Lites ARE portable, just bigger.
He is fully capable of connecting USB and device power cables to things like a tablet or phone. My worry there is these ports are not always located on TVs where they are easily accessible by an adult, let alone a 6 year old. He shuffles back and forth between his house, grandma's house, and his other grandma's house. This is why I think he is getting the Lite version. But I'm still waiting for his grandma (my daughter) to tell me which device. I also am assuming he will be getting at least one game with the console. So waiting to hear about that too.

He does like anything to do with Legos. Thanks.

So far, I am looking at Mario Kart 8 Deluxe plus the Booster Course Pass, carrying case, and/or Lego games.

Thanks everyone.

System Name Desktop/HTPC
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi ITX
Cooling ID Cooling DashFlow 240mm AIO
Memory 64GB (2x32) G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3600 CL18
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24GB
Storage 4TB WD SN850X NVMe, 2TB WD SN850X NVMe
Display(s) LG OLED65B9PUA 65" 4K OLED TV
Case Lian Li x Dan A4-H20
Audio Device(s) USB to MiniDSP DDRC24 DAC, RCA to SUMO Andromeda amp, wired to Wharfedale SP88 speakers
Power Supply Silverstone SX1000R SFX-L Platinum ATX 3.0
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini
VR HMD Oculus Rift / PSVR / PSVR2 / Lenovo Explorer
Software Windows 11 Pro
If you have any say in it I strongly recommend the "standard" or OLED Switch over the Lite - the joycons aren't the best built or reliable, but at least with models other than the Lite they can be replaced. If a joystick goes bad on the Lite it's a lot more trouble to fix.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
If you have any say in it I strongly recommend the "standard" or OLED Switch over the Lite
I agree. But I only have such say if I am paying for the whole thing. And I am not spending $300 on a great grand kid. I am just a retired Air Force Master Sergeant on Social Security. I am not hurting for money but certainly not rich either.

I have 2 great-grand kids, 6 grand kids, and 5 kids (plus 3 kids-in-law) to buy gifts for. The 3rd generation down already gets the smallest chunk of the budget. The Mario Kart 8 Deluxe game alone is about what I was planning - budget wise - at that great-grand kid level.

Now if his mom and grandma spring for the standard console, then great. But not my call.

That said, thanks for the heads up on the durability issue with joystick on the Lite. If that is what he is getting, I will be sure to warn them about that too. But, sadly, still waiting for my daughter to text me back.

Okay - daughter called and she's going for the OLED version - but she's hoping to find a good "Black Friday" price. I still have to wait so I know which version and thus which game is included - but now I have lots of good suggestions to go by. Thanks again, folks. Much appreciated! :)

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple proprietary M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple proprietary M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary onboard 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (with latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12 Pro. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
First-party age appropriate games would include 1.) Animal Crossing, 2.) the Legend of Zelda games, and 3.) the Mario franchise. Naturally there are several Pokemon titles if he's into that. Minecraft and Roblox are two third-party titles that are very popular with that age group.

A proper gamepad when playing in docked mode (outputting to a television) really is far better than the included Joycon controllers. Nintendo's own Switch Pro gamepad is generally considered the best conventional gamepad; it is rarely on sale, so you will likely need to pay full retail for that. Nintendo doesn't make much profit on the console hardware, they rake in the big bucks from software sales, peripherals, and merch.

He really should play Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017) before Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (2023). For the Mario titles, Super Mario Odyssey (2017) is considered the best on the Switch. The newly released Super Mario RPG (2023 remake of the 1996 original) looks wonderful too.

The top selling Switch game is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe which is a racing game that can be enjoyed single-player and multi-player (the latter mode includes local wireless play with up to 4 players on the same console).

Many of the gaming media websites are tracking Black Friday sales for Switch (and other platforms). Consult those first.

Last edited:
System Name DELL Inspiron 5400 AIO / HP 17 ca1065cl
Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz / Ryzen 5 3500u
Memory 16GB /12GB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA MX 330 / Radeon Vega 8
Storage 1TB +SSD
Display(s) 23.8 inch touch screen 17.3 touch screen
Case DELL AIO / HP LAPTOP
Mouse Dell Wireless /LOGITECH
Keyboard Dell Wireless / HP LAPTOP
Software WINDOWS 11
Nintendo Switch OLED is an awesome device. I have the Pokemon Scarlet and Violet edition. I don’t know how good the OLED being slightly bigger would be in the hands of a 6 year old boy.

Grandson... err... great-grandson (just saying that makes me feel really old!) is getting an Nintendo Switch from Santa this year. A different console is not up for debate/discussion so going there is not an option. I am assuming his mom and grandma are buying all the basic necessities to make it work. I am looking to pile on some cool extras.

Thanks.
All games should work fine on a "lite" model. Depending on his reading skill level, I can confidently recommend the Super Mario 3D World as well as the Mana Collection and Trials of Mana. Each of these worth the time and money to find.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
We have the Lite model (my daughter's) and the OLED Switch (mine) and honestly they both rock. A 6-year-old won't care as long as you don't mind not being able to use it on a TV, (Which I find nice to do).

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
Also looking at getting my 6 year old one of these this year. Trying to talk the ex into getting him the non-lite version as I know he's going to want to play mario kart with other people.

System Name Desktop/HTPC
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi ITX
Cooling ID Cooling DashFlow 240mm AIO
Memory 64GB (2x32) G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3600 CL18
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24GB
Storage 4TB WD SN850X NVMe, 2TB WD SN850X NVMe
Display(s) LG OLED65B9PUA 65" 4K OLED TV
Case Lian Li x Dan A4-H20
Audio Device(s) USB to MiniDSP DDRC24 DAC, RCA to SUMO Andromeda amp, wired to Wharfedale SP88 speakers
Power Supply Silverstone SX1000R SFX-L Platinum ATX 3.0
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini
VR HMD Oculus Rift / PSVR / PSVR2 / Lenovo Explorer
Software Windows 11 Pro
Also looking at getting my 6 year old one of these this year. Trying to talk the ex into getting him the non-lite version as I know he's going to want to play mario kart with other people.
Sell her on the repairability angle. Controller breaks on the Lite, it has to be sent off to be fixed. Controller breaks on the normal Switch, you get new Joycons.

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
Super Mario Party and Mario Party Superstars are great fun games with the whole family...
Add 2 more controllers for 4 player family mayhem :D

Processor Xeon x5650
Motherboard SABERTOOTH X58
Cooling Fans
Memory 24 GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) GTX 1060 3GB
Storage small ssd
Display(s) Dell 2001F, BenQ short throw
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply X750
Software Mint 19.3, Win 10
Benchmark Scores not so fast...
While the Zelda games for Switch are some of the greatest games of all time, they are not gonna be enjoyable for a 6 year old. I know because I have a 7 year old who doesnt play Zelda on her brother's Switch, and she can read.

I recommend little things like stick bumpers, and stickers. Maybe a game chip case. Also, for the parent....we used an app to control the game and screen time. It works from anywhere, not just on the same network.

System Name Space Heater MKIV
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard ASRock B550 Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, 3x Noctua NF-A14s
Memory 2x32GB Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4-3600 C18 1.35V
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil (2150MHz, 240W PL)
Storage 2TB WD SN850X, 4x1TB Crucial MX500 (striped array), LG WH16NS40 BD-RE
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG (34" 3440x1440 144Hz)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1700BT, Samson SR850
Power Supply Corsair RM850x, CyberPower CST135XLU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Glorious GMMK 2 96%
Software Windows 10 LTSC 2021, Linux Mint
My seven-year-old sister loves playing Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8, and Paper Mario: Origami King. She also got into the Lego Harry Potter games.

She exclusively uses our Switch while it's docked. We have some PowerA controllers for it.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
Nintendo themselves usually has some great deals on games in their shop. I've bought a handful at super good prices.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Well, an interesting twist - I had Thanksgiving dinner at my "other" daughter's house yesterday (due to various work schedules of other family members). And unbeknownst to me, they have a Switch console.

We played Guesspionage through the Switch and "Jackbox.tv" and each of our smart phones. There are tons of other games - Guesspionage is just one and is a trivia game where you play against each other and it was very entertaining.

Now, you all may be (probably are) saying, "no duh!" But it was all new to me. I had the preconceived notion that most of the games were oriented towards the much younger crowd but these questions were "Jeopardy" level trivia topics.

So while this thread is about my great-grandson getting a Switch, I am glad the user base can be much more diverse and the whole family can enjoy it too.

Software Windows 11 Pro
Well, an interesting twist - I had Thanksgiving dinner at my "other" daughter's house yesterday (due to various work schedules of other family members). And unbeknownst to me, they have a Switch console.

We played Guesspionage through the Switch and "Jackbox.tv" and each of our smart phones. There are tons of other games - Guesspionage is just one and is a trivia game where you play against each other and it was very entertaining.

Now, you all may be (probably are) saying, "no duh!" But it was all new to me. I had the preconceived notion that most of the games were oriented towards the much younger crowd but these questions were "Jeopardy" level trivia topics.

So while this thread is about my great-grandson getting a Switch, I am glad the user base can be much more diverse and the whole family can enjoy it too.
Guesspionage is brilliant, as are many other games on the Jackbox Party Packs. All very much adult-oriented, though, even with family filters on.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
All very much adult-oriented
If you mean "explicit" content unsuitable for younger audiences - I saw none of that. But my daughter might have enabled filtering for that.