• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Guitar clubhouse

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Univac SLI Edition
Processor Intel Xeon 1650 V3 @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard eVGA X99 FTW K
Cooling EK Supremacy EVO, Swiftech MCP50x, Alphacool NeXXos UT60 360, Black Ice GTX 360
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia Titan X Tri-SLI w/ EK Blocks
Storage HyperX Predator 240GB PCI-E, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp 34" Ultra-Wide (U3415W) / (Samsung 48" Curved 4k)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Edition
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350watt Toughpower Modular
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CODE 10 keyless MX Clears
Software Windows 10 Pro
Ongaku look at the picture with my pedals. The light blue pedal on the wood pedal board is a PS-5. Its my dads and if your not so good with effects i dont suggest spending that kinda money on it. Needless to say he got it on our discount and is disappointed in the pedal.

Why dont you just drop the E to a D? So much easier and takes 2 seconds.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
ya but it's got a morph option for some lower sounding more "metal" tuning/distortion, but yeah it's just a distortion pedal. I've used that one and now I want my own heh.

I just want something to produce something close to Drop D and I think that second pedal might pull that off.

I don't know a lot about effects other than distortion, wah wah, etc. I don't use a lot anyways. Just some nice beefy distortion and oh yeah :rockout:
Ongaku look at the picture with my pedals. The light blue pedal on the wood pedal board is a PS-5. Its my dads and if your not so good with effects i dont suggest spending that kinda money on it. Needless to say he got it on our discount and is disappointed in the pedal.

I'm gonna have to go with Mguire here Ongaku. Just tune to drop D. If that's not low enough, tun everything another half step down. Way easier than messing with effects to get a deep sound.

i use ernieball power slinkys, nice for low tunings can get me to drop c without problems even tuned my guitar to 7string :p

Cooling EK Supremacy EVO, Swiftech MCP50x, Alphacool NeXXos UT60 360, Black Ice GTX 360
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Windows 10 Pro
Well since i solo alot i cant have a fat gauge of string on my guitars at least on the high end. I use heavy bottom slinky tops.

System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
I use hybrid slinkys on my guitars as I tend to be in Drop-Db tuning tuning alot.
Has just enough slack but not to the point where my notes sound too muddy.

Most the time I'm using effects on top of other effects.

Most people I know shy away from effects and say it's not natural.
I believe this kind of mentality stops you from progressing with electric guitar.

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
I use hybrid slinkys on my guitars as I tend to be in Drop-Db tuning tuning alot.
Has just enough slack but not to the point where my notes sound too muddy.

Most the time I'm using effects on top of other effects.

I believe this kind of mentality stops you from progressing with electric guitar.

I use very minimal effects. I have no distortion pedal, I just use my amp's natural overdrive, but I do use a Cry-Baby Wah, Boss Delay, and Boss Chorus pedals. Occasionally an EQ pedal as well. Fit my needs perfectly.

Processor Intel i5 2500K
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
I use very minimal effects. I have no distortion pedal, I just use my amp's natural overdrive, but I do use a Cry-Baby Wah, Boss Delay, and Boss Chorus pedals. Occasionally an EQ pedal as well. Fit my needs perfectly.

Your setup is fine.
I'm talking about the people who use just a BOSS Metal Zone pedal and a Jim Dunlop Cry Baby and scoff at me for using all sorts of effects to create more ambience than flatout look how fast a can pick type shred.

Like sometimes I have the wah set on Bass with a slight phaser effect only running through one amp while the other amp is playing with overdrive and flanger set to 0 sweep and full flange effect to give a very thick tone.

Ongaku

Yeah I guess...I got an Digitech RP-80 I mess around with, but it's mostly the norm effects and they really don't sound all that great cos it has all of those effects on one board.

I just hate messing with my strings, I've had a few snap and hit me in the face...and it don't feel good :p

I'll probably wind up getting my own Metal Master pedal. One of the morph options on it has a nice death metal/black metal sound...and it's only 90 bucks lol. But that's last on my list of goodies anyways, I need a soundcard for this, a better proc, and better RAM :p

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
I'll probably wind up getting my own Metal Master pedal. One of the morph options on it has a nice death metal/black metal sound

I was gonna suggest playing around with your gear before you pay money for something you might not actually need but then u are running a strat :slap:

whats the pickup setup on the strat? H/S/S or S/S/S??

if your more into playing metal id strongly getting a guitar which more suited towards the style - not that the strat cant pull it off but without humbuckers & heavier gauge strings your not gonna be able to achieve the sound you are aiming for unless of course buying a pedal

I own a few effects units myself & rarely use them & when i do its usually for Wah, phaser, chorus or delay. anything else is straight from the heart of my guitar n amp

ever thought about modding that strat u got???

Ongaku

S/S/S

yeah I'm thinking of getting a more metal guitar sooner or later. I like to play stuff in standard tuning, I play alot of Metallica, Pantera, etc. etc., but death metal has me by the ass and I just have to learn some :p I was thinking one of those Dean Dimebag ones :) or maybe the one my buddy has, he's in a death metal band, he's trying to get me in...he wants me to do rhythm guitar and some singing...lol I have no idea why he'd want a girl to growl :p

mod my strat? err...hehe I don't think I would do anything to it really...damned thing was expensive. Plus I have to get a new bridge, it's slightly cracked inside from using the whammy bar too much :p

FreedomEclipse

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
well u dont need something that expensive such as a dimebag - pretty much almost any ibanez will do - great thing about ibanez - their great guitars & their also cheap & sound great when u upgrade the pickups in them!

::EDIT::

OMG a girl growling... - that can be pretty hot in some way

In fact...

Id suggest getting a PRS Custom SE or Santana SE their great guitars.

(I cant help being a PRS fanboy....)

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Windows 10 Pro
I have over 400 things i can do with my Legend 21 ;) But mainly i use my stock distortion for the more "classic rock" part of our band and use the overdrive for solos. Everything else if your an experienced guitarist you know what i use the other stuff for. (Delay, Chorus, Vibe, reverb, compression, gate, limiter, ect)

Ongaku, when your tuning to drop D your going down on your E string. So theres no way it could snap unless you seriosuly dont know what your doing. I highly highly suggest before you start buying new things and wasting money you learn your instrument fully then move on. Im not saying your a n00b or anything but really anybody whos serious about guitar should know almost everything about it before they go paying for things that before arent really neccesary. Like this drop D thing for instance. Hit the E string, and the D string and then drop the E till it matches the D. Boom your done. Also whammy on a strat?
I hated the whammy on my strat. I even replaced my tuners on it with self locking tuners and the damn thing still goes outa tune. Im just gonna put a Floyd on it and be done with it :/

On that note, anybody know where i can get a Floyd lock? Im seriously tired of going around the house looking for things to lock my floating trem when i restring.

Processor Intel i5 2500K
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Also whammy on a strat?
I hated the whammy on my strat. I even replaced my tuners on it with self locking tuners and the damn thing still goes outa tune. Im just gonna put a Floyd on it and be done with it :/

I don't like any sort of bridge which is not fixed.
I stay away from guitars which have Bigsby style tuners & Floyd Rose floating bridges amongst all.
One string snaps on stage and thats it, your guitar is out of tune, then your'e having to press down the bridge until the next break in the set.

To compensate for lack of whammy on my guitars I use a Digitech whammy.
Pretty expensive for one effect but it's gauranteed not to break a string or leave your guitar out of tune.

Last edited:

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
I don't like any sort of bridge which is not fixed.
I stay away from guitars which have Bigsy style tuners & Floyd Rose floating bridges amongst all.
One string snaps on stage and thats it, your guitar is out of tune, then your'e having to press down the bridge until the next break in the set.

To compensate for lack of whammy on my guitars I use a Digitech whammy.
Pretty expensive for one effect but it's gauranteed not to break a string or leave your guitar out of tune.
I'm in total agreeance with this. I can't stand non-fixed bridges. Although, instead of using an effect as a replacement, I just don't play anything that requires a whammy effect. My preferred style of play just doesn't call for it anyway.

Mouse Logitech G502
Software Windows 10 Pro
Thats what backup guitars are for. And whenever my strings break i can restring in about 5 minutes or less. Thing is though, i almost never break a string on my Ibanez. Before i replaced my strings with the Earnie Balls i had the same set of 9s on there for over a year.

kylew

Processor Main: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 @ 3.7Ghz / Server: Q6600@ Stock
Motherboard Main: Asus P5E @ Rampage Forumla / Server: P5K Deluxe
Cooling Main: Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme (8 x 120mm fans inc. PSU + 2 x 92mm fans.) / Server: Stock
Memory Main: 4x2GB Gskill DDR2 1000Mhz / Server: 4x1GB Gskill DDR2 800Mhz
Video Card(s) Main: 2GB 5870 Eyefinity 6 / Server: HD 4850
Storage 8 Internal (SATA) 2 External (USB). Total storage 5.4TB
Display(s) Triple Dell 24" 2408WFP
Case Main: Silverstone TJ07 / Server: Coolermaster Stacker 810
Audio Device(s) Main: Auzentech Xmystique / Server: NI Rig Kontrol
Power Supply Main: Coolermaster Realpower 850w Modular / Server Tagan 600W Modular
Software Main: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit / Server: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark 06 19.5k 3D Mark Vantage 12.5k Super PI 13.4s
Had a listen to the solo 2:43 of Murderer when both rhythm and lead use more gain.
Sounded like a minor scale to me.
One doing the pull offs with a harmonizer.
Second lead playing Palm Muted 16th notes.

A solo with rythm and lead? :eek:! It's just a lead isn't it? Solo is when some one is playing on their own. :D :laugh:

Those variacs looks really nice, I'd love to try of them. I need to pick up on my playing as I've been 'declining' in ability because I'm sorta stuck in a rut :(

Processor Intel i5 2500K
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Thats what backup guitars are for.

Not everyone has the luxury of having more than one guitar to use on stage.
I only use two electric guitars on stage and one is always in an alternate tuning so I don't have to make the crowd wait as I tune my guitar.
Making an audience wait for more than a minute tops is something the music schools I've been to look down upon.
If I do snap a string I just carry on playing while a roadie tunes my second guitar to the tuning I use mainly.
If worse comes to worse the band will start an impromptu jam without me.
Same goes if one of the band has a problem with thier instruments.

A solo with rythm and lead? :eek:! It's just a lead isn't it? Solo is when some one is playing on their own. :D :laugh:

I guess you don't read notation or guitar tabulature.
When the vocals cut out in a song and the lead guitar takes over for a round or two of the chord progression, it is called a guitar solo.

What you are describing is a solo performance, not a solo.

Mouse Logitech G502
Software Windows 10 Pro
I only use two electric guitars on stage and one is always in an alternate tuning so I don't have to make the crowd wait as I tune my guitar.
Making an audience wait for more than a minute tops is something the music schools I've been to look down upon.
If I do snap a string I just carry on playing while a roadie tunes my second guitar to the tuning I use mainly.
So either way if you have a backup guitar or not your waiting still. A professional band can carry the song on without the guitar 90% of the time. Just like you where talking about. So you can either switch guitars or change a string. In my bands i make sure we dont play any songs that require a retune in the same set. Thats common sense so the backup guitar is always tuned with your current guitar. You change tunings inbetween sets if you need to. But the only thing we do is change over to drop D and for me and my dad that takes 2 seconds inbetween a song with the pull of our drop D switch on our Edge 3s.

When the vocals cut out in a song and the lead guitar takes over for a round or two of the chord progression, it is called a guitar solo.

I think what he didnt get is you where talking about (guessing here) the rhythm guitar and lead guitar harmonizing during a solo (or "lead" in a song) like what Avenged Sevenfold do alot. I believe the both of you where both describing a solo in a song or "lead break" just with different wordings. When i talk about soloing or leads they both mean the same thing because usualy im talking about doing some sort of solo or "lead" in a song. Typicaly both mean the same thing.

kylew

Cooling Main: Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme (8 x 120mm fans inc. PSU + 2 x 92mm fans.) / Server: Stock
Power Supply Main: Coolermaster Realpower 850w Modular / Server Tagan 600W Modular

I guess you don't read notation or guitar tabulature.

Solo is derived from solitude, which means by yourself. Not every piece of music has lyrics in it either so it still doesn't warrant being called a 'solo' if it's not a solo, but a lead.

Some people say it's a solo just because the lead guitarist is playing a fast lead. Oh, yeah, I do read tablature, that doesn't really mean anything or relate anything to a 'solo' otherwise, what's lead? Is there actually a difference based on the definition you're giving it?

well the doctor said i can play guitar 5mins every day still awesome since i couldnt play for 2 months and my picking speed is back to where it started, i was able to play mater of pppets with downstroke only but not anymore :'(

kylew

So either way if you I think what he didnt get is you where talking about (guessing here) the rhythm guitar and lead guitar harmonizing during a solo (or "lead" in a song) like what Avenged Sevenfold do alot. I believe the both of you where both describing a solo in a song or "lead break" just with different wordings. When i talk about soloing or leads they both mean the same thing because usualy im talking about doing some sort of solo or "lead" in a song. Typicaly both mean the same thing.

That's what I was trying to say. I don't understand why lead and solo would be used to mean the same thing, when they mean different things to me. I see it as, to lead - lead the music by playing the main part of it. Solo, some what of a more showy thing where you're playing by yourself while the rest of t he band stays quiet.

What makes it more difficult to understand for me is that there are a huge amount of tracks that have fast leading guitar through out it, it's basically present from beginning to end. Would you call that a solo? It's the whole track, it'd be lead, no? With the rest of the band following?

kylew

well the doctor said i can play guitar 5mins every day still awesome since i couldnt play for 2 months and my picking speed is back to where it started, i was able to play mater of pppets with downstroke only but not anymore :'(

Ouch, what did you do? Sorry for my ignorance, but I read the earlier parts of the thread quite some time ago. :)

Mouse Logitech G502
Software Windows 10 Pro
That's what I was trying to say. I don't understand why lead and solo would be used to mean the same thing, when they mean different things to me. I see it as, to lead - lead the music by playing the main part of it. Solo, some what of a more showy thing where you're playing by yourself while the rest of t he band stays quiet.
To me soloing and doing a lead is the same thing. Both in a song and is a few bars (or longer or shorter depending on the song) where you play some "outstanding" stuff in front of the band. If im talking about where the guitarist is by himself with no band playing behind him i simply call it a guitar solo.

Status
Not open for further replies.