• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Guitar clubhouse

Status
Not open for further replies.
well i didnt state it in this thread :p but i ripped somthing in my left pinky(dunno what its called but it makes your pinky move up and down) so i couldnt use my left hand and im not going to play guitar with one hand lol

System Name Univac SLI Edition
Processor Intel Xeon 1650 V3 @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard eVGA X99 FTW K
Cooling EK Supremacy EVO, Swiftech MCP50x, Alphacool NeXXos UT60 360, Black Ice GTX 360
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia Titan X Tri-SLI w/ EK Blocks
Storage HyperX Predator 240GB PCI-E, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp 34" Ultra-Wide (U3415W) / (Samsung 48" Curved 4k)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Edition
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350watt Toughpower Modular
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CODE 10 keyless MX Clears
Software Windows 10 Pro
System Name The Dove Box Rev 3.0
Processor i7 8700k @ 4.7GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus X APEX
Cooling Custom water loop
Memory 16GB 3600 MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) 2x MSI 780 Ti's in SLI
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 PCIe SSD, 4TB
Display(s) 27" Asus 144Hz
Case Enermax Fulmo GT
Audio Device(s) ON BOARD FTW
Power Supply Corsair 1200W
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Win 10 64x
well i didnt state it in this thread :p but i ripped somthing in my left pinky(dunno what its called but it makes your pinky move up and down) so i couldnt use my left hand and im not going to play guitar with one hand lol

Loosing a finger or two never stopped Tony Iommi! Any many musicians have been influenced by injury, just look at Les Paul.

well why would i demolish it when it can be healed?

Cooling EK Supremacy EVO, Swiftech MCP50x, Alphacool NeXXos UT60 360, Black Ice GTX 360
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Windows 10 Pro
well why would i demolish it when it can be healed?
I agree. Theres no point in hurting yourself more when you can just chill a bit and let it heal. I have carpal tunnel in my left hand :)rolleyes: Go figure) and i only play as much as my dr says i can play. Which is more than youd think but hey, hes the dr. He said itd be ok to do a 2 hour show as long as i have at least a 20 minute break in between sets (he plays bass). But something like a torn tendon needs alot of care to heal.

System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
@PP Mguire
I don't really know how Wile E and my preference of fixed bridge electrics turned into talking about backup guitars and the time it takes to change them.

At the end of the day my experience with floating bridges has given me a preference to fixed bridge because I don't like pressing down the bridge with the palm of my hand with the right pressure when I snap a string.

Solo is derived from solitude, which means by yourself. Not every piece of music has lyrics in it either so it still doesn't warrant being called a 'solo' if it's not a solo, but a lead.

Some people say it's a solo just because the lead guitarist is playing a fast lead. Oh, yeah, I do read tablature, that doesn't really mean anything or relate anything to a 'solo' otherwise, what's lead? Is there actually a difference based on the definition you're giving it?

It's not my own definition but the actual definition given in notation and proper tabulature. Not the usually incorrect tab you get off the internet.
If you read say a guitar world magazine you will find these 'solo' references in the tabulature/notation.

This states a guitar solo does not mean just by itself and I'm sure I can find more references.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_solo

And here's what a lead guitar does in a band.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_guitar

Dude I didn't spend 3 years in music school studying music theory to not know what I'm talking about.

Mouse Logitech G502
Software Windows 10 Pro
Experience outweighs schooling in a case of breaking a string live. With a floating bridge experience tells you that merely pressing the whammy bar to try and keep your guitar in tune does not work. Experience with a floating bridge will also make the time to change a string (learning tricks of the trade) alot quicker. In this situation with playing live its best to have a backup guitar just in case and not being able to afford really isnt an excuse. If your playing live your getting money. I paid 70 bucks for my Charvell at a pawn shop and rebuilt it. Cost me the price of 3 springs, a new bar, and a pack of strings. A little love too but that never cost anything. Thats where the backup guitar thing came into play. And even when i played straight bridge i still had a backup guitar. But, like i said i almost never break a string on my floating trem guitars.

It's not my own definition but the actual definition given in notation and proper tabulature. Not the usually incorrect tab you get off the internet.
If you read say a guitar world magazine you will find these 'solo' references in the tabulature/notation.

This states a guitar solo does not mean just by itself and I'm sure I can find more references.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_solo

And here's what a lead guitar does in a band.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_guitar
You basicaly put the same thing i said except a few sites to back it up.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
My preference of fixed bridge guitars stems mostly from my tonal and sustain preferences. I can't stand the sound difference a floating bridge makes when all else is equal. I also stay away from bolt-on necks for the same reasons. Thus my preferred guitar is a LP. Floating bridges just never suited my ear, or playing style.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Just Jamming along to Brothers in arms by Dire Straits - Ive managed to replicate Mark. K's exact tone (or close) on my shitty marshall amp

love that track

Processor Intel i5 2500K
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Experience outweighs schooling in a case of breaking a string live. With a floating bridge experience tells you that merely pressing the whammy bar to try and keep your guitar in tune does not work. Experience with a floating bridge will also make the time to change a string (learning tricks of the trade) alot quicker. In this situation with playing live its best to have a backup guitar just in case and not being able to afford really isnt an excuse. If your playing live your getting money. I paid 70 bucks for my Charvell at a pawn shop and rebuilt it. Cost me the price of 3 springs, a new bar, and a pack of strings. A little love too but that never cost anything. Thats where the backup guitar thing came into play. And even when i played straight bridge i still had a backup guitar. But, like i said i almost never break a string on my floating trem guitars.

Schooling is not just about music theory but also practical.
The first music school I went to was alot more practical based.
e.g being chucked into a band from different musicians from other music schools around the country and told to improvise something in 5 minutes infront of a musically trained audience.

Less tension on a floating bridge causes the strings to drop in pitch, so in my experience, losing a string on a floating bridge caused less tension therefore dropping the pitch of the guitar enough to sound out of tune, even though there maybe a locking mechanisim at the top of the neck.
In my experienced this on an old pink Ibanez Jem and a genuine Stienberger regardless of locking mechanisim at the nut.

Anyway as Wile E and I said before, this is out of personal preference.
We are not stating everyone shuuld get fixed bridge guitars because of our experience with them.

You basicaly put the same thing i said except a few sites to back it up.

No.
You are saying in music terms lead and a solo are the same thing.
The 'lead' in this case is a guitar.
The 'solo' is one of the roles the 'lead guitar' has within a band situation in songs which have a solo.

kylew

Processor Main: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 @ 3.7Ghz / Server: Q6600@ Stock
Motherboard Main: Asus P5E @ Rampage Forumla / Server: P5K Deluxe
Cooling Main: Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme (8 x 120mm fans inc. PSU + 2 x 92mm fans.) / Server: Stock
Memory Main: 4x2GB Gskill DDR2 1000Mhz / Server: 4x1GB Gskill DDR2 800Mhz
Video Card(s) Main: 2GB 5870 Eyefinity 6 / Server: HD 4850
Storage 8 Internal (SATA) 2 External (USB). Total storage 5.4TB
Display(s) Triple Dell 24" 2408WFP
Case Main: Silverstone TJ07 / Server: Coolermaster Stacker 810
Audio Device(s) Main: Auzentech Xmystique / Server: NI Rig Kontrol
Power Supply Main: Coolermaster Realpower 850w Modular / Server Tagan 600W Modular
Software Main: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit / Server: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark 06 19.5k 3D Mark Vantage 12.5k Super PI 13.4s
Schooling is not just about music theory but also practical.
The first music school I went to was alot more practical based.
e.g being chucked into a band from different musicians from other music schools around the country and told to improvise something in 5 minutes infront of a musically trained audience.

Less tension on a floating bridge causes the strings to drop in pitch, so in my experience, losing a string on a floating bridge caused less tension therefore dropping the pitch of the guitar enough to sound out of tune, even though there maybe a locking mechanisim at the top of the neck.
In my experienced this on an old pink Ibanez Jem and a genuine Stienberger regardless of locking mechanisim at the nut.

Anyway as Wile E and I said before, this is out of personal preference.
We are not stating everyone shuuld get fixed bridge guitars because of our experience with them.

No.
You are saying in music terms lead and a solo are the same thing.
The 'lead' in this case is a guitar.
The 'solo' is one of the roles the 'lead guitar' has within a band situation in songs which have a solo.

That's what I don't get though, because based on that definition, some songs/tracks or at least the majority of it would be classed as a solo, which wouldn't make sense. Which is why I don't how lead and solo are interchangeable.

One track where it's bascially all lead/complex playing/fast, by the definition you gave, that'd be a solo, but it makes no sense to call a whole track a solo, but it would make sense to call it the 'lead' part, with the rythm guitarist playing the rythm and so on.

As for learning definitions in music school, there are loads of things that are taught wrong in schools because they're based on assumptions and misinformation.

I've seen teachers telling kids that you use apostrophes for plurals, and teaching them completely wrong ways to spell things or teaching them things in science that have been since proven wrong, and so on.

I'm not having a go or insulting you or anything, just pointing out that just because it's taught it doesn't mean it's always right. :p

Last edited:
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
That's what I don't get though, because based on that definition, some songs/tracks or at least the majority of it would be classed as a solo, which wouldn't make sense. Which is why I don't how lead and solo are interchangeable.

One track where it's bascially all lead/complex playing/fast, by the definition you gave, that'd be a solo, but it makes no sense to call a whole track a solo, but it would make sense to call it the 'lead' part, with the rythm guitarist playing the rythm and so on.

As for learning definitions in music school, there are loads of things that are taught wrong in schools because they're based on assumptions and misinformation.

I've seen teachers telling kids that you use apostrophes for plurals, and teaching them completely wrong ways to spell things or teaching them things in science that have been since proven wrong, and so on.

I'm not having a go or insulting you or anything, just pointing out that just because it's taught it doesn't mean it's always right. :p

If you read the link under lead guitar in my second to last post, it states three parts a lead guitar plays.
The melody line, intrumental fills and solo.
There are certain things which define them from each other but I guess some people may not be able to tell the difference.

I have had about three different music teachers who taught me theory and your'e saying they have all taught me wrong and yet I pass my papers which come from Royal schools and Trinity Schools of music?
And your'e also suggesting the books I was made to read, bought from music stores written by professors of music are wrong too?:wtf:

I suggest you ask Andy Aledort, very experienced guitarist and transcriber at guitar world on the difference between lead guitar and soloing if you don't believe me and no doubt there will be more people who will relpy to your question.
Or even get him to listen to the track and tell him what I said is a solo and find out what his and other guitarists say.

I will not state something which is incorrect if i am positive on the answer.;)

kylew

Processor Main: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 @ 3.7Ghz / Server: Q6600@ Stock
Motherboard Main: Asus P5E @ Rampage Forumla / Server: P5K Deluxe
Cooling Main: Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme (8 x 120mm fans inc. PSU + 2 x 92mm fans.) / Server: Stock
Memory Main: 4x2GB Gskill DDR2 1000Mhz / Server: 4x1GB Gskill DDR2 800Mhz
Video Card(s) Main: 2GB 5870 Eyefinity 6 / Server: HD 4850
Storage 8 Internal (SATA) 2 External (USB). Total storage 5.4TB
Display(s) Triple Dell 24" 2408WFP
Case Main: Silverstone TJ07 / Server: Coolermaster Stacker 810
Audio Device(s) Main: Auzentech Xmystique / Server: NI Rig Kontrol
Power Supply Main: Coolermaster Realpower 850w Modular / Server Tagan 600W Modular
Software Main: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit / Server: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark 06 19.5k 3D Mark Vantage 12.5k Super PI 13.4s
If you read the link under lead guitar in my second to last post, it states three parts a lead guitar plays.
The melody line, intrumental fills and solo.
There are certain things which define them from each other but I guess some people may not be able to tell the difference.

I have had about three different music teachers who taught me theory and your'e saying they have all taught me wrong and yet I pass my papers which come from Royal schools and Trinity Schools of music?
And your'e also suggesting the books I was made to read, bought from music stores written by professors of music are wrong too?:wtf:

I suggest you ask Andy Aledort, very experienced guitarist and transcriber at guitar world on the difference between lead guitar and soloing if you don't believe me and no doubt there will be more people who will relpy to your question.
Or even get him to listen to the track and tell him what I said is a solo and find out what his and other guitarists say.

I will not state something which is incorrect if i am positive on the answer.;)

I'm not saying your teachers are wrong as such, but that I personally wouldn't take it as 'proof' that it's right, because I know that there are many things that are being taught in schools/colleges etc. that are wrong due to either ignorance, assumptions or just plain stupidity.

At my school more than a few teachers taught how to use punctuation wrongly, how to spell some words wrongly, gave wrong definitions of words, and some things in science were taught, that had been proven to be wrong, yet it was still taught.

So in simple terms, to me, just because it's taught, doesn't mean it's right.

It just doesn't make any sense to call it a solo, when a solo is used in other circumstances to mean single, and if you've got solo and lead, it doesn't seem right to use both interchangeably.

Most people state things they *think* are correct, it's the way people speak :D, hence, I think it's correct to not use solo in place of lead.

Last edited:

Ongaku

I have over 400 things i can do with my Legend 21 ;) But mainly i use my stock distortion for the more "classic rock" part of our band and use the overdrive for solos. Everything else if your an experienced guitarist you know what i use the other stuff for. (Delay, Chorus, Vibe, reverb, compression, gate, limiter, ect)

Ongaku, when your tuning to drop D your going down on your E string. So theres no way it could snap unless you seriosuly dont know what your doing. I highly highly suggest before you start buying new things and wasting money you learn your instrument fully then move on. Im not saying your a n00b or anything but really anybody whos serious about guitar should know almost everything about it before they go paying for things that before arent really neccesary. Like this drop D thing for instance. Hit the E string, and the D string and then drop the E till it matches the D. Boom your done. Also whammy on a strat?
I hated the whammy on my strat. I even replaced my tuners on it with self locking tuners and the damn thing still goes outa tune. Im just gonna put a Floyd on it and be done with it :/

On that note, anybody know where i can get a Floyd lock? Im seriously tired of going around the house looking for things to lock my floating trem when i restring.

I know what I'm doing...Drop D is simple as hell, it's C and D tuning that are tough for me.

yeah and the whammy bar *sigh* lol I was pissed when I was using it and I heard a crack...doesn't sound like it's messed with the sound at all...I'm just glad the wood didn't crack :p

I started getting into effects when I started listening to Muse...which was back in 2002, my dad bought me the RP-80 and I have had well good fun with that...but as I learned, a single pedal doing a single effect sounds a lot better

Last edited:
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Most people state things they *think* are correct, it's the way people speak :D, hence, I think it's correct to not use solo in place of lead.

So your'e saying Kirk Hammett of Metallica has been taught wrong too?
As he uses the term solos in "Creeping Death" and "Ride the Lightning" in his this interview?
http://mog.com/Sturgell/blog_post/166054

I know what I'm doing...Drop D is simple as hell, it's C and D tuning that are tough for me.

yeah and the whammy bar *sigh* lol I was pissed when I was using it and I heard a crack...doesn't sound like it's messed with the sound at all...I'm just glad the wood didn't crack :p

I started getting into effects when I started listening to Muse...which was back in 2002, my dad bought me the RP-80 and I have had well good fun with that...but as I learned, a single pedal doing a single effect sounds a lot better

Yeah when going from standard tuning to C or lower is when another guitar is needed.
My Semi-hollow is tuned to D-G-E-E-A-B for 3 Libras as it seems to be a popular request song in the bars the band plays in.
Most the chicks flock to the singer when he sings it and the guys give him the evils from the background.:roll:

When you mention the crack sound I was thinking it was the wood too.
I know someone who thought they could raise the pitch of thier guitar with the whammy on thier strat which did this, fortunatley it was just a Squire.
Despite the Fender Strat being overpriced, I believe it's the most versitile electric still.
As for those plastic miniature multi effects pedals. . . .they suck hard when having to click through the effects multiple times back and forth just to get the right effect.

Muse is one of my favorite bands, got hooked when I listened to New Born from Origin of Symmetry.
Made me get back into piano.

russianboy

Processor AMD 3500+ Venice at stock
Motherboard ECS K8T890-A
Memory 1 Gb Corsair Valueram CAS 3
Video Card(s) Connect3d X800 GTO OC'd to 551.25/551.25
Storage 4 mixed up drives
Display(s) Acer AL2216W 22"LCD
Case Generic noname crap
Audio Device(s) Realtec AC'97
Power Supply 500 watt Ultra PSU
Software Win2k Pro, XP, Ubuntu linux, and Vista

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Windows 10 Pro
No i said a lead is a solo in a song. A solo by itself is a guitar solo.

Processor Intel i5 2500K
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Windows 10 Pro
If your deff of a solo is the same as his than what were calling a lead and what your calling a solo is the same thing. Like i had JUST said, a lead (to me) is a solo in a song. A solo by itself is a guitar solo.

Processor Intel i5 2500K
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
If your deff of a solo is the same as his than what were calling a lead and what your calling a solo is the same thing. Like i had JUST said, a lead (to me) is a solo in a song. A solo by itself is a guitar solo.

Ah so your'e one of those people who will continue to call a solo a lead even if the majority call a lead a solo.

Gotcha.:cool:

System Name The Netbook
Processor Intel Atom n270
Memory 1GB DDR2 533mhz
Video Card(s) Intel G945
Storage 250GB
Display(s) 10.1" LCD
Software Microsoft Windows 7 Starter x86
Too many people on this thread are teenagers who aren't seasoned musicians.
A lead and a solo are two different things. Take "Raining Blood" by Slayer for instance, the famous riff that Kerry King plays is a lead, however it's not a solo by any means. If you listen to his backing track along with the bass and drums it's completely different, the other instruments are just carrying a rhythm for him to follow.

Most songs follow an AABA format..
A being the main riff/licks and the verse.
B being a solo or a rythmatic change to break the feel of redudancy from peice A
And back to A again, this time feeling fresh and new again, thanks to the change of pace brought on from peice B.

I hope you all understood that.

Processor Intel i5 2500K
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Ozzman, I think what you wrote is the most simple way to put it.
I just can't put my own words into a more simple explanation.
The curse of forgetting what it is like to be new to guitaring and theory.

System Name The Netbook
Processor Intel Atom n270
Memory 1GB DDR2 533mhz
Video Card(s) Intel G945
Storage 250GB
Display(s) 10.1" LCD
Software Microsoft Windows 7 Starter x86
Ozzman, I think what you wrote is the most simple way to put it.
I just can't put my own words into a more simple explanation.
The curse of forgetting what it is like to be new to guitaring and theory.

Thanks man, I was just trying to explain it the way I write it, I seen it on TV once in an interview explained as "AABA Format" and it made more sense to me. Now that's how I explain it to new players.

If you think about it, any song you know (other than thrash metal, they tend to like to pack as many riffs into a song as possible) mainly follows this format.

Status
Not open for further replies.