• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

soldering a power supply to the motherboard

System Name Machine XV
Processor Dual Xeon E5 2670 V3 Turbo unlocked
Motherboard Kllisre X99 Dual
Cooling 120mm heatsink
Memory 64gb DDR4 ECC
Video Card(s) RX 480 4Gb
Storage 1Tb NVME SSD
Display(s) 19" + 23" + 17"
Case ATX
Audio Device(s) XFi xtreme USB
Power Supply 800W
Software Windows 10
heatshrink would have been better but i didnt have any around so electrical tape had to do. il probibly heatshrink it when i get some.

SpaceManSpiff

If you don't have any shrink wrap around, you can always dope them up with hot glue. It works pretty well as an after-the-fact insulator.

System Name Machine XV
Cooling 120mm heatsink
Memory 64gb DDR4 ECC
Video Card(s) RX 480 4Gb
Storage 1Tb NVME SSD
Case ATX
Power Supply 800W
Software Windows 10
yea i was thinking about that but i think it should be ok for now aslong as i dont move it around too much. im going to start a project log for my server it started out as a little atom dual core server with some usb drives and now its hardly got a part thats not been modified.

Processor AMD Phenom II 555BE unlocked X4 @3.8GHz
Motherboard GA-78LMT-S2P
Cooling Thermaltake Blue Orb + open case in cold room = low temps lol
Memory 8Gb DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) GTX580
Storage 64GB SSD Super Talent
Display(s) 22" Chimei, 17" Philips
Case POS!
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800W
Hahaha awesome! Doing it that half-ass bum way, i like your style. I have a friend who's an electronics technician, it really winds him up when I do this sort of thing, I say heat shrink is for the fancy folk.

At least you soldered it. The other lazy option is to not strip the wires then jam the wires straight onto the pins so the pin goes right up under the insulation and hot glue it all together. It works nicely when you can't afford solder.

System Name Machine XV
Cooling 120mm heatsink
Memory 64gb DDR4 ECC
Video Card(s) RX 480 4Gb
Storage 1Tb NVME SSD
Case ATX
Power Supply 800W
Software Windows 10
lol i wasnt that desparate to join them that i was gonna just twist n glue it all together lol but thats it all installed and working. when i upgraded from my intel atom 330 dual core motherboard i just unplugged the hard drive from it and plugged it into this one. i forgot to boot to the dvd drive to install windows and amazingly it started loading windows from the hard drive and installing all the motherboard parts apart from the sm-bus, the integraded graphics and the lan so i jsut got the nforce drivers from the nvidea site and it installed no problem it has to be one of the fastest upgraddes ive ever done.

_jM

System Name The money pit v.2 (v.1 is the wife!)
Processor Core2Quad-Q9550@3.9ghz/1860mhzFSB @1.344v
Motherboard ASUS Maximus II Formula = best damn P45 OCer out there!
Cooling CoolerMster V8-- Custom WC system on the way! =]
Memory 8GB DOMINATORS @1100mhz 5-5-5-18
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 280
Storage 150GB WesternDigital Velociraptor OS Drive/1 WD 500AAKS for Storage
Display(s) SAMSUNG 2243SWX 22" LCD
Case Cooler Master Cosmos S w/custom lighting and cable management
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium (Fatality edition) - paired with RAZER Barracuda's
Power Supply CORSAIR HX1000W modular PSU
Software Windows 7 RC 7100--eats vista for breakfast lunch and dinner!
Benchmark Scores Coming to a theater near you!
Why did you do it to the front and not the back?

Also Why did you not use heat shrink tubing?

Also that's a lot of soldering. Cut the cable about 1/8 and hold the gun on the wire, get the cable super hot, and then solder the wire. So when you go to add it to the board it will stick easier(Just use the wire and tap it on the board/less exposer/use heat shrink tubing.

My thoughts exactly! Your going to end up shorting out the system eventually with the method you chose to do it in. You really need to order some heat-shrink tubing and maybe some wire sleeving also. Thats a "big"connection to just use electrical tape/ That shit will never last and your just asking for a blow'n PSU and dead Mobo.

I understand that this is a temp solution. But you need to take our criticism very VERY seriously. If you care about this little project your doing, your temp solution will end up being a perminate problem---dead mobo/psu/cpu/and prolly everything attached to it also.... Just sit back and really "look" at what your getting in to first brfore you go any futher bro. Just tring to help ;)

Last edited:
System Name Machine XV
Cooling 120mm heatsink
Memory 64gb DDR4 ECC
Video Card(s) RX 480 4Gb
Storage 1Tb NVME SSD
Case ATX
Power Supply 800W
Software Windows 10
its been up and running bionc rosetta@home for over a week now. i know the electrical tape will lose stickyness as it heats up and over time but i hope that the tape will stay in place as a physical barrier between the wires .