• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrade aging i7 990x??

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Video Card(s) Zotac 4080 w.c.
Storage 2TB Kingston kc3k
Display(s) Gigabyte 34" Curved
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Cool n Quiet.
I'd get a new CPU and chipset, if you want SATA 6Gbps and PCI-E 3.0 and all that, that seems very reasonable to me. Even if the machines at work are running fine without a hitch, once general warranty runs out we replace them with newer machines (3-5 years). In your position, I would definitely replace hardware if there are better features that will improve workflow considerably.
The chosen hardware is entirely up to you. Whatever features you really want are the ones you should go for.

Do I wait for the dust to settle on the x99 motherboards like Marsey99 said tho?

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
That's the real question that should have been asked in the first place, without the extra commentary. :) I think I would wait out and see what comes out of DDR4. I tend to go by the phrase, "don't buy the first generation of a product." I think waiting to see how DDR4 pans out would be smart. It's not like your missing too much with the 990X, but if you were to upgrade Z97 and Devil Canyon is a pretty solid bet for gaming.

I use my tower for work as well, but I don't think I use it for work more than my own personal uses, so I don't tend to declare my office as a tax write off, although I could because it is a dedicated space for being an office. I could, but I don't think it quite qualifies, at least in my mind. I could be wrong though. My views tend to be rather liberal so I don't mind being more cautious when it comes to taxes.

Yeah the big thing here is DDR4. For all we know it could be completely worthless and a colossal waste of money.

Do I wait for the dust to settle on the x99 motherboards like Marsey99 said tho?

Hell yes, I was an early adopter of a lot of hardware a few years ago. Never again I say. Wait a month, wait for motherboards to explode, RAM prices to drop. Processors will never get cheaper though.

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
That's the real question that should have been asked in the first place, without the extra commentary. :) I think I would wait out and see what comes out of DDR4. I tend to go by the phrase, "don't buy the first generation of a product." I think waiting to see how DDR4 pans out would be smart. It's not like your missing too much with the 990X, but if you were to upgrade Z97 and Devil Canyon is a pretty solid bet for gaming.

I use my tower for work as well, but I don't think I use it for work more than my own personal uses, so I don't tend to declare my office as a tax write off, although I could because it is a dedicated space for being an office. I could, but I don't think it quite qualifies, at least in my mind. I could be wrong though. My views tend to be rather liberal so I don't mind being more cautious when it comes to taxes.

Yeah fair call mate. But am I not better off investing something into my business (as well as personal use) than give my hard earned money to the tax man? Maybe im just being selfish. You have to remember I cannot do this all the time. This is a once a 3 year claim.

I'm just wondering if x99 is the time to claim.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Yeah fair call mate. But am I not better off investing something into my business (as well as personal use) than give my hard earned money to the tax man? Maybe im just being selfish. You have to remember I cannot do this all the time. This is a once a 3 year claim.

I'm not sure that it's giving money to the tax man if you can just write it off the next time you file taxes, even if that's in another 3 years. I'm not sure how it works over there though so it may be consider enough to make a difference. I may look at it differently since I don't pay any form of sales or consumer tax when I buy computer hardware with where I live in the world. There are other taxes, for example property taxes is the real big one where I live. If there is an opportunity and you want to take it then I guess I would say wait as long as you can before buying in. Whether you want a 6c or 8c chip is your business (and up to your business). The 8c won't do you any good for gaming but I also don't know what you're using the tower for with respect to your business.

All in all, if you need to spend it to get a tax write-off soon, then do it at late as possible without cutting it too close. At least that way maybe enough reviews will come out to give you a good idea what is good and what isn't. It isn't what I would do, I would wait longer in your position wrt to hardware, but it's your call. I think it's too early to say what is good and what isn't.

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
I'm not sure that it's giving money to the tax man if you can just write it off the next time you file taxes, even if that's in another 3 years. I'm not sure how it works over there though so it may be consider enough to make a difference. I may look at it differently since I don't pay any form of sales or consumer tax when I buy computer hardware with where I live in the world. There are other taxes, for example property taxes is the real big one where I live. If there is an opportunity and you want to take it then I guess I would say wait as long as you can before buying in. Whether you want a 6c or 8c chip is your business (and up to your business). The 8c won't do you any good for gaming but I also don't know what you're using the tower for with respect to your business.

All in all, if you need to spend it to get a tax write-off soon, then do it at late as possible without cutting it too close. At least that way maybe enough reviews will come out to give you a good idea what is good and what isn't. It isn't what I would do, I would wait longer in your position wrt to hardware, but it's your call. I think it's too early to say what is good and what isn't.

Yeah sweet advice mate. I just wish we had of started off on the right foot. Im sorry if I have upset you in any way but really all I was after was advice on my current CPU over the new X99 one. Maybe I should have been a little more discreet but unfortunately for me I have a big mouth.:(

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro

Out of curiosity what does your business do anyway?

Yeah sweet advice mate. I just wish we had of started off on the right foot. Im sorry if I have upset you in any way but really all I was after was advice on my current CPU over the new X99 one. Maybe I should have been a little more discreet but unfortunately for me I have a big mouth.:(

Sometimes things get a little chesty around here. Luckily it happened to the few that are pretty reasonable guys. It could have gone in a far different direction :laugh:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
No problem. Words are clumsy at describing what you really want.

Sometimes things get a little chesty around here. Luckily it happened to the few that are pretty reasonable guys. It could have gone in a far different direction :laugh:
This too. What you use the tower for mostly should drive the decision. I could get more cores myself, but as developer, I'm not writing any software (at the moment) that really needs more than 8 threads. So I would let what you do for work drive the CPU/Motherboard/Memory options. I also don't game often much anymore which is why I still have 6870s. My machine reflects what I do with it.

I upgraded because I needed more memory and more I/O. Gaming was an after thought. So I would think about what you really need more of, because you're not lacking in the GPU or CPU department.

In fact I was considering side-grading to a single GPU option that would be at least as power but consumed less power while freeing up some PCI-E slots, but as I said, to each their own. Just don't feel like you need to go overboard because it's tax season.

Edit: I apologize for a million edits.

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11

Sometimes things get a little chesty aro

Id really like to tell you what my business does mate but im not sure now is the right time or place. I'm very sorry.

Anyway guys thanks for all your help. It seems ill have to wait a bit before x99 starts to shine. Although im very tempted to buy one soon damn it.

Cheers.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
He's a pimp. I called it first.

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Calling a mod to put quotation marks around "business".

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
Heres my advice, unless you want to run a 3+ GPU setup and you want to still stick with SKT 2011v3, then grab the 5820K. The only problem with that CPU I have seen is that their binning process is not very strong in that people achieve 4.7ghz on them and then nothing above 4.4ghz for others (But I guess any cpu can be like that, just something I have noticed on a few forums). The 5930K is great for having the best of it for gaming, multimedia, price, and overclocking while the 5960X is more for the people needing the extra cores for power in multimedia tasks.

I would say the 5820K is the best option if you want to not spend to much because you get the 6 cores, decent overclocking, and enough PCIE's for up to a 3 way setup. However if you want to go big the 5930K will be a bit more consistent and have the extra PCIE lanes for up to 4 cards.

Last edited:

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Heres my advice, unless you want to run a 3+ GPU setup and you want to still stick with SKT 2011v3, then grab the 5820K. The only problem with that CPU I have seen is that their binning process from what I have seen is not very strong in that I have seen people achieve 4.7ghz on them and then nothing above 4.4ghz (But I guess any cpu can be like that, just something I have noticed on a few forums). The 5930K is great for having the best of it for gaming, multimedia, price, and overclocking while the 5960X is more for the people needing the extra cores for power in multimedia tasks.

I would say the 5820K is the best option if you want to not spend to much because you get the 6 cores, decent overclocking, and enough PCIE's for up to a 3 way setup. However if you want to go big the 5930K will be a bit more consistent and have the extra PCIE lanes for up to 4 cards.

So how are you finding your system mate? Any problems?

Ive been told to wait for the dust to settle on x99 or do you find this a non issue?

Cheers.

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
So how are you finding your system mate? Any problems?

Ive been told to wait for the dust to settle on x99 or do you find this a non issue?

Cheers.
DDR4 is the only reason to wait because of its prices and high CL. Personally as far as the 5930K goes its been great and a fun overclocker and performed great in games & Adobe.

I would say your chip is just fine still for games, so you might wanna just wait a bit and see what comes if your not eager to jump the gun. It really just comes down to your needs now and if you really want to go ahead and upgrade or wait because waiting does normally result in better components and better prices after launch. I was anxious and had been waiting for the platform for months hence why I went ahead and jumped ship.

I do not regret my purchase, I am very happy with my system (Though I wish I had gotten Gskill memory for the price but it was sold out everywhere when I bought).

Last edited:

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
DDR4 is the only reason to wait because of its prices and high CL. Personally as far as the 5930K goes its been great and a fun overclocker and performed great in games.

I would say your chip is just fine still for games, so you might wanna just wait a bit and see what comes if your not eager to jump the gun. It really just comes down to your needs now and if you really want to go ahead and upgrade or wait because waiting does normally result in better components and better prices after launch. I was anxious and had been waiting for the platform for months hence why I went ahead and jumped ship.

I do not regret my purchase, I am very happy with my system (Though I wish I had gotten Gskill memory for the price but it was sold out everywhere when I bought).

Thanks mate you've been really helpful. It looks like ill have to wait a little while, but id love to jump on board the 5930k like you did very soon! :toast:

System Name Home Brewed
Processor i9-7900X and i7-8700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme & ASUS Prime Z-370 A
Cooling Corsair 280mm AIO & Thermaltake Water 3.0
Memory 64GB DDR4-3000 GSKill RipJaws-V & 32GB DDR4-3466 GEIL Potenza
Video Card(s) 2X-GTX-1080 SLI & 2 GTX-1070Ti 8GB G1 Gaming in SLI
Storage Both have 2TB HDDs for storage, 480GB SSDs for OS, and 240GB SSDs for Steam Games
Display(s) ACER 28" B286HK 4K & Samsung 32" 1080P
Case NZXT Source 540 & Rosewill Rise Chassis
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM1000 & Corsair RM850
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Tournament & Corsair K90
Software Win-10 Professional
Benchmark Scores yes
I like the sound of two R9-290s, but would get them with really good (high air flow) cooling on them.

Also, spend the money to get a case with high air flow too.

X99 is still pretty new, but I'm seeing some good numbers with those systems in reviews. Go for a quality ASUS, ASRock, or Gigabyte motherboard and get one of the higher priced boards. (as it will have better power handling properties included)

You speak of longevity, so I imagine that you don't OC your gear all that much. That's no problem if you buy at least a six core CPU or better. (eight would probably be best considering that we don't know what demands future games may place on our systems) Any "Extreme" rated Intel CPUs will provide the awesome performance you seem to want but they're pricey too.

You're willing to spend to get very good equipment, so don't scrimp on the PSU that you get. This is the basis for a stable running system and is probably going to be the most important part of your new PC. I personally like SeaSonic Branded PSUs the best. Get something that is more than the actual power output that you need, so it can operate below it's 100% capacity. (improving its efficiency)

I assume that you'll be using SSDs for booting the system. Two SSDs in RAID can make a huge difference in performance as a boot drive. It's worth it to do. Without an SSD in your system you don't even have a performance PC. Two in RAID make it a lot better.

Good luck with your build, it's gonna be a wild PC.

System Name Shoebox Sandwich | Razer Blade 14 | Synology DS418 w/ 4X8TB WD Red | iPhone 15 Pro
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
Motherboard ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi | Razer thing
Cooling NZXT Kraken 240 RGB w/ Lian Li P28 + Corsair AF120 Slim | Double fan vapour chamber
Memory G.Skill Flare X5 2x16GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5 | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB
Storage Seagate FireCuda 520 2TB + Lexar NM790 4TB | 1TB NVMe SSD + 2TB NVMe external SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW & Sony A90K 42" | 14" QHD IPS 165Hz & Sony X90J 65" 4K TV
Case FormD T1 - v2.1 - Titanium colourway w Aluminium mesh | Razer Blade 14
Audio Device(s) Schiit Hel 2E (Focal Clear & HiFiMAN HE-4XX & DROP PC38X) | Samsung Q950A
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum | Razer 230W brick
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate Mercury | Roccat Kain 202
Keyboard DIY Geek 64 PCB (Kailh Box Deep Sea - Matcha XDA Keycaps) | Corsair K63
VR HMD Oculus Quest
Software Windows 11 Home | Windows 11 Home
Benchmark Scores 2022 MINI Countryman SE PHEV Hybrid ALL4 | British Racing Green| Malt Brown Interior| YOURS Trim
Tbh I would have though that the 990X would still be a more than capable chip. But the smell of new hardware in the morning is pretty deliciously tempting.

As far as a deduction goes seeing as you are using it for both gaming and work, you could claim it at like 50% or something. I do that for items I buy that I use for work and personal use (e.g. my laptop (the taichi one) I use for work and personal use/study).

I'd say if money is no object then a 5960x without a doubt. But if you are into heavy OCing and programs that are unlikely to use the extra 2 cores or 4 threads than the 5930k would be better I think. From what I've seen at least, the 5930k seems to OC to a higher level than the 5960X which I guess makes sense because of having fewer cores to look after.

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Tbh I would have though that the 990X would still be a more than capable chip. But the smell of new hardware in the morning is pretty deliciously tempting.

As far as a deduction goes seeing as you are using it for both gaming and work, you could claim it at like 50% or something. I do that for items I buy that I use for work and personal use (e.g. my laptop (the taichi one) I use for work and personal use/study).

I'd say if money is no object then a 5960x without a doubt. But if you are into heavy OCing and programs that are unlikely to use the extra 2 cores or 4 threads than the 5930k would be better I think. From what I've seen at least, the 5930k seems to OC to a higher level than the 5960X which I guess makes sense because of having fewer cores to look after.

Yeah I suppose when it comes to it, I can claim at least 50% of it.

I'm getting itchy trigger fingers this morning mate and I want to go out and get this x99 system but I have been told to hold off.

Its just that this month I know ill be giving the tax man a decent amount of GST and I can reduce that by claiming a new PC for myself.

You think the 5960x would be the way to go? When looking at overclocking results the difference would only be a 2-300mhz between 5960x and 5930k no?

The way I understand all this is that you have the tax man on one hand & the desire to build a fine computer on the other hand. If you didn't care at all about the tax guy go build the best rig based on the suggestions in this thread & that includes waiting a little longer. BUT if you are a business man & concerned about the tax aspect do this: Buy the best components you want & go ahead & build your computer before your tax due date this month. You may be able to upgrade some stuff later. So it boils down to this: Do I want to save some tax money & build a rig NOW or do I really want to take a little more time to think about it & maybe have a better computer a little later. Tax man or computer? If I was a business man & I loved computers I'd wait for a while & totally concentrate on the computer & forget taxes. The Tax man will still come out ahead anyway. They always do.

System Name Shoebox Sandwich | Razer Blade 14 | Synology DS418 w/ 4X8TB WD Red | iPhone 15 Pro
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
Motherboard ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi | Razer thing
Cooling NZXT Kraken 240 RGB w/ Lian Li P28 + Corsair AF120 Slim | Double fan vapour chamber
Memory G.Skill Flare X5 2x16GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5 | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB
Storage Seagate FireCuda 520 2TB + Lexar NM790 4TB | 1TB NVMe SSD + 2TB NVMe external SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW & Sony A90K 42" | 14" QHD IPS 165Hz & Sony X90J 65" 4K TV
Case FormD T1 - v2.1 - Titanium colourway w Aluminium mesh | Razer Blade 14
Audio Device(s) Schiit Hel 2E (Focal Clear & HiFiMAN HE-4XX & DROP PC38X) | Samsung Q950A
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum | Razer 230W brick
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate Mercury | Roccat Kain 202
Keyboard DIY Geek 64 PCB (Kailh Box Deep Sea - Matcha XDA Keycaps) | Corsair K63
VR HMD Oculus Quest
Software Windows 11 Home | Windows 11 Home
Benchmark Scores 2022 MINI Countryman SE PHEV Hybrid ALL4 | British Racing Green| Malt Brown Interior| YOURS Trim
Yeah I suppose when it comes to it, I can claim at least 50% of it.

I'm getting itchy trigger fingers this morning mate and I want to go out and get this x99 system but I have been told to hold off.

Its just that this month I know ill be giving the tax man a decent amount of GST and I can reduce that by claiming a new PC for myself.

You think the 5960x would be the way to go? When looking at overclocking results the difference would only be a 2-300mhz between 5960x and 5930k no?
Yeh that's right from what I've seen at least. But it is a silicon lottery after all. It might be that a really good 5960x could clock at the same level as an average or poor 5930k. So based on this, if I were you I'd go for the 5960X. I'm thinking it will have a long life too like your 990X (or 980X).

Just an fyi, I'd expect some bios bugs if you do go and get X99 right now. I've had a few bugs with this motherboard (X99-Gaming 5). My itchy upgrade fingers are very satisfied with X99 paired with some basic ram and a 5930k, a big difference in many programs for me compared to my 'old' 4770.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Just go for the best you can get. Go nuts

System Name Barb's Domain
Processor i9 10850k 5.1GHz all cores
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool Assassin III
Memory 2*16gig Corsair LPX DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 FE
Storage 500gb Samsung 980 Pro M2 SSD, 500GB WD Blue SATA SSD, 2TB Seagate Hybrid SSHD
Display(s) Dell - S3222DGM 32" 2k Curved/ASUS VP28UQG 28" 4K (ran at 2k), Sanyo 75" 4k TV
Case SilverStone Fortress FT04
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion II speakers, Corsair - HS70 PRO headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x (2021)
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech Orion Spectrum G910
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/34962882

You didn't mention that before. With that in mind, go ahead, spend the money, get the best set-up you can (take @cadaveca advice on what board to get, l did in getting my R4BE) and get your tax write off.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
I don't think any recommendation we can give will be truly a good one because the OP can't tell us what business he is into so it's not like we can make a well informed decision on what would be optimal for his business, just for gaming. Consider if you all were in a similar position. Would you want to just spend as much as you could, which would work and be costly, or possibly have a machine cost half as much but does just as well for what you need it to do. I personally think that the amount saved would vastly outweigh the tax benefits. X99 is not a cheap platform much like X79 was and I think we all need to remember that.

With that said, I think I've done all I can. This is a "buy what you want" thread since there is really no way to determine what would be ideal because for gaming alone, X99 is a bad idea IMHO and without more knowledge about what the tower will be used for business-wise, I can't recommend skt2011-3 even though everyone here seems to have a hard-on for it.

I guess a question that could be posed without knowing what you do for your business is, what does your current rig do now that isn't good enough to warrant an upgrade? Tax season alone isn't a reason to upgrade imho.

System Name Barb's Domain
Processor i9 10850k 5.1GHz all cores
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool Assassin III
Memory 2*16gig Corsair LPX DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 FE
Storage 500gb Samsung 980 Pro M2 SSD, 500GB WD Blue SATA SSD, 2TB Seagate Hybrid SSHD
Display(s) Dell - S3222DGM 32" 2k Curved/ASUS VP28UQG 28" 4K (ran at 2k), Sanyo 75" 4k TV
Case SilverStone Fortress FT04
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion II speakers, Corsair - HS70 PRO headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x (2021)
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech Orion Spectrum G910
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/34962882
Tax season alone isn't a reason to upgrade imho.

I disagree. I know personally, if I was about to have to pay say $5000 in taxes, but could take the money and buy a new extreme high-end computer with it, and still be credited with my taxes being paid, I'd do it in a heart beat. And if money was an issue, I'd go and sell the computer two weeks later and get something more appropriate for my uses.

System Name Desktop | Laptop
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Intel Core i7 7700HQ
Motherboard MAG X570S Torpedo Max| Neptune KLS HM175
Cooling Corsair H100x | Twin fan, fin stack & heat pipes
Memory 32GB G.Skill F4-3600C16-8GVK @ 3600MHz / 16-16-16-36-1T | 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz / 17-17-17-39-2T
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + Kingston KC3000 2TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 970 Evo 500GB
Display(s) 32" Dell G3223Q (2160p @ 144Hz) | 17" IPS 1920x1080P
Case Fractal Meshify 2 Compact | Aspire V Nitro BE
Audio Device(s) ifi Audio ZEN DAC V2 + Focal Radiance / HyperX Solocast
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 1000W | 150W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate | Logitech MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2 Optical (Linear Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Tax helps the government provide public services and infrastructure.... and line union pockets... ;)