• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nicolas Guerin (From Ubisoft) is not in touch with reality.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
"At Ubisoft for a long time we wanted to push 60 fps. I don't think it was a good idea because you don't gain that much from 60 fps and it doesn't look like the real thing. It's a bit like The Hobbit movie, it looked really weird.

"And in other games it's the same - like the Rachet and Clank series [where it was dropped]. So I think collectively in the video game industry we're dropping that standard because it's hard to achieve, it's twice as hard as 30fps, and its not really that great in terms of rendering quality of the picture and the image."

SOURCE

I think we should start a petition. Mandatory assisted suicide for all those that think 30FPS 900p is "a better experience" than 1080p 60FPS.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I think "collectively" those in the video game industry are actually lazy, and are tired of producing games at two different quality levels, because even now, the "next gen" consoles can't perform at the level of PC's.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
"At Ubisoft for a long time we wanted to push 60 fps. I don't think it was a good idea because you don't gain that much from 60 fps and it doesn't look like the real thing. It's a bit like The Hobbit movie, it looked really weird.

"And in other games it's the same - like the Rachet and Clank series [where it was dropped]. So I think collectively in the video game industry we're dropping that standard because it's hard to achieve, it's twice as hard as 30fps, and its not really that great in terms of rendering quality of the picture and the image."

SOURCE

I think we should start a petition. Mandatory assisted suicide for all those that think 30FPS 900p is "a better experience" than 1080p 60FPS.

Agreed. Bethesda is pulling that 30 FPS crap with The Evil Within PC version too. Saying they don't condone removing the frame cap and won't support it. It's nothing but catering to the console crowd where most consoles can't run high quality games at 1080p at 60 FPS.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
those in the video game industry are actually lazy

In a recent interview with another fella from Ubi, they said that the processor inside the next gen consoles was holding them back from going to town with processor related adventures. I get the impression that A) developers are getting more and more cheap, and B) the so called "next-gen" consoles really can't handle "next-gen" titles very well.

"Technically we're CPU-bound," he said. "The GPUs are really powerful, obviously the graphics look pretty good, but it's the CPU [that] has to process the AI, the number of NPCs we have on screen, all these systems running in parallel.

"We were quickly bottlenecked by that and it was a bit frustrating, because we thought that this was going to be a tenfold improvement over everything AI-wise, and we realised it was going to be pretty hard. It's not the number of polygons that affect the framerate. We could be running at 100fps if it was just graphics, but because of AI, we're still limited to 30 frames per second."

SOURCE

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Agreed. Bethesda is pulling that 30 FPS crap with The Evil Within PC version too. Saying they don't condone removing the frame cap and won't support it. It's nothing but catering to the console crowd where most consoles can't run high quality games at 1080p at 60 FPS.

You beat me to it! I was going to edit mine and add the latest Bethesda BS.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
Actually its not so far fetched

Total War games have issues with this on PC the animations stutter or soldiers slide around the screen because the CPU is a bottleneck. The game is running at 60-90 fps in terms of render but yea CPU side it has issues

So it very well could be that console wise graphically the games run fine but due to low clock speed and AMD's lacluster IPC they are encountering issues. Granted its no excuse for a limited Frame rate on PC but its very likely the AMD CPU is causing an issue with development. Much like how the Wii U CPU was considered weak the AMD cpu is much the same. More cores but lower clock speed with I am guessing similar IPC to the older PS3 and 360 CPUs per core. Think of it like Phenom II vs FX series the Phenom II did better than FX in IPC but more cores ment better multi threaded performance.

Multithreading the AI etc can be extremely problematic. So its very likely this is the resulting issue and its now become a crutch an excuse they rely on.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
Wouldn't higher hz monitors help make 30fps look a lot smoother, or is there a minimum limit to the benefits?

System Name Current Rig
Processor AMD 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI x670e Tomahawk wifi
Cooling Artic Freezer II 360
Memory G.Skill 32gb ddr5 6000mhz
Video Card(s) AMD 7900XTX 24 GB
Storage Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB
Display(s) Alienware 3420DW 120 Freesync
Case LianLi Lancool III white non-rgb
Audio Device(s) Onboard ALC
Power Supply Corsair Shift 1000W
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard Ducky Shine 5
Software Win 11 64bit
Benchmark Scores The second best!
I remember when specs were leaking for the XBONE and PS4 and I thought really that's all they are going to push on the CPU, GPU, and Memory?

I think console buyers would have gladly paid an extra $100 to have solid 60fps 1080p, but the economy tanked and MS & Sony settled for mediocre.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Actually its not so far fetched

Total War games have issues with this on PC the animations stutter or soldiers slide around the screen because the CPU is a bottleneck. The game is running at 60-90 fps in terms of render but yea CPU side it has issues

So it very well could be that console wise graphically the games run fine but due to low clock speed and AMD's lacluster IPC they are encountering issues. Granted its no excuse for a limited Frame rate on PC but its very likely the AMD CPU is causing an issue with development. Much like how the Wii U CPU was considered weak the AMD cpu is much the same. More cores but lower clock speed with I am guessing similar IPC to the older PS3 and 360 CPUs per core. Think of it like Phenom II vs FX series the Phenom II did better than FX in IPC but more cores ment better multi threaded performance.

Multithreading the AI etc can be extremely problematic. So its very likely this is the resulting issue and its now become a crutch an excuse they rely on.

I totally agree with you on something like the Total War games with are so very CPU-intensive. My issue though is to get this excuse on console ports of FPS and RPG for instance. After all, aren't the games DEVELOPED on PC's, then ported over to console? Why can't the PC version get....the PC version....since it already exists?

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Wouldn't higher hz monitors help make 30fps look a lot smoother, or is there a minimum limit to the benefits?

I don't know. I don't remember ever running across that in any articles. That doesn't mean it's not true though.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
problem is with how things are coded.

Did people already Forget the Crysis 3 issue where the ROPE physics only updated every other frame? So the frame rate would be cut in half in certain scenes. the way things are coded has a huge impact.

People forget every game engine out there is ANCIENT its using old tech old code old ways of doing things they are patchwork quilts of broken code fixed with bandaids.

Only ONE game engine is currently mostly new ground up ands thats the one used In Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeros / Phantom Pain.

Cryengine is a continuation
Gamebryo / Creation w.e same engine since 2001
Unreal Engine is a continuation
Id Tech is a continuation

most game engines are just old shit adapted for new systems, OSes etc.

even Kojima's new engine borrows a few parts from the older engine used on PS3 however most of it was rewritten due to the PS3s terrible architecture and lackluster compatibility with modern systems and operating systems which is why its mostly new.

Everything else today is just old shit with fresh paint. You can only do that for so long before problems arise. You are now seeing what happens when tech is carried over to many times for to long.

From the way AI is coded and handled to the way physics are calculated we use old methods on new hardware with new stuff bolted on. Because the gaming industry hasn't actually evolved we are hitting a new issue.

On 360 / PS3 yes they held back advances not so much on PC but the entire industry because for so long it was the status quo. With lackluster hardware that status quo remains while they try to push things ever further. As a result it all falls apart.

Basically since console gens are stable they basically do R&D then recycle till next gen. Except for the PS4 and Xbone they didnt really do much in terms of R&D they just continued the recycle trend.

A good example

Look at the early days of Direct X / Open GL and PS1 to PS2 to PS3 which each major leap R&D into new methods was common place however that has pretty much stopped. PS1 to PS2 huge leap PS2 to PS3 huge leap PS3 to PS4 not such a huge leap. More memory more GPU power but CPU performance is lacking. For those that keep claiming CPU is not important DX12 will fix it or Mantle will thats not the case. Because those APIs do not fix the console CPU bottleneck. As such your gonna keep getting bent over for another generation.

Notice after Multi-core tech debuted for games the industry kinda went to hell in a handbasket. No one has effectively figured out how to multi thread each task.

multi threaded AI is difficult if no impossible to multi thread well without crazy shit happening just look at the Elder Scrolls and its Radiant AI now imagine if thats multi-threaded and starts to conflict? Developers havent found a good way around this yet. Its why so much stuff in games is directly scripted etc still.

Untill a proper way to multi thread these things comes about low clock speed lock IPC high core count CPUs will continue to suck ass for gaming.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I'm sort of happy about this, because nerd rage is the funniest rage.

I'd be fine with any graphics if the games were worth it, but they rarely are.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
In fact if someone on here has an FX 8350 go ahead and downclock it to 1.2 GHz see how well it performs in games. Especially when it comes to minimum frame rate

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
My take on Ubisoft in general is that they are primarily a console publisher. That's their bread and butter. That's where they make most of their money. They are going to make games look and run their best on the consoles first and the PC version will usually just be an afterthought. Remember they consider 95% of PC Gamers to be pirates anyway.

I'm sort of happy about this, because nerd rage is the funniest rage.

I'd be fine with any graphics if the games were worth it, but they rarely are.

Google "Call of Duty rage quit" if you want to see some hilarious nerd rage videos.

System Name Games/internet/usage
Processor I7 5820k 4.2 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS X99-A2
Cooling custom water loop for cpu and gpu
Memory 16GiB Crucial Ballistix Sport 2666 MHz
Video Card(s) Radeon Rx 6800 XT
Storage Samsung XP941 500 GB + 1 TB SSD
Display(s) Dell 3008WFP
Case Caselabs Magnum M8
Audio Device(s) Shiit Modi 2 Uber -> Matrix m-stage -> HD650
Power Supply beQuiet dark power pro 1200W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Win 10 Pro
problem is with how things are coded.

Did people already Forget the Crysis 3 issue where the ROPE physics only updated every other frame? So the frame rate would be cut in half in certain scenes. the way things are coded has a huge impact.

People forget every game engine out there is ANCIENT its using old tech old code old ways of doing things they are patchwork quilts of broken code fixed with bandaids.

Only ONE game engine is currently mostly new ground up ands thats the one used In Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeros / Phantom Pain.

Cryengine is a continuation
Gamebryo / Creation w.e same engine since 2001
Unreal Engine is a continuation
Id Tech is a continuation

most game engines are just old shit adapted for new systems, OSes etc.

even Kojima's new engine borrows a few parts from the older engine used on PS3 however most of it was rewritten due to the PS3s terrible architecture and lackluster compatibility with modern systems and operating systems which is why its mostly new.

Everything else today is just old shit with fresh paint. You can only do that for so long before problems arise. You are now seeing what happens when tech is carried over to many times for to long.

From the way AI is coded and handled to the way physics are calculated we use old methods on new hardware with new stuff bolted on. Because the gaming industry hasn't actually evolved we are hitting a new issue.

On 360 / PS3 yes they held back advances not so much on PC but the entire industry because for so long it was the status quo. With lackluster hardware that status quo remains while they try to push things ever further. As a result it all falls apart.

Basically since console gens are stable they basically do R&D then recycle till next gen. Except for the PS4 and Xbone they didnt really do much in terms of R&D they just continued the recycle trend.

A good example

Look at the early days of Direct X / Open GL and PS1 to PS2 to PS3 which each major leap R&D into new methods was common place however that has pretty much stopped. PS1 to PS2 huge leap PS2 to PS3 huge leap PS3 to PS4 not such a huge leap. More memory more GPU power but CPU performance is lacking. For those that keep claiming CPU is not important DX12 will fix it or Mantle will thats not the case. Because those APIs do not fix the console CPU bottleneck. As such your gonna keep getting bent over for another generation.

Notice after Multi-core tech debuted for games the industry kinda went to hell in a handbasket. No one has effectively figured out how to multi thread each task.

multi threaded AI is difficult if no impossible to multi thread well without crazy shit happening just look at the Elder Scrolls and its Radiant AI now imagine if thats multi-threaded and starts to conflict? Developers havent found a good way around this yet. Its why so much stuff in games is directly scripted etc still.

Untill a proper way to multi thread these things comes about low clock speed lock IPC high core count CPUs will continue to suck ass for gaming.

Then again, multi threaded code with dependencies are hard to code. Intel came with some atomic actions in Haswell or something, that Would help a bit (not so many mutexes). Then there is Amdals law and all that. But for advenced AI the extra cores shuld be nice, since you then can give AI its own core, or even just have a few of AI threads on one core, but what do i know, i haven't made any AI programs.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
In fact if someone on here has an FX 8350 go ahead and downclock it to 1.2 GHz see how well it performs in games. Especially when it comes to minimum frame rate
I think you're absolutely right. 4 modules (8 threads) at 1.2 GHz is very bad, especially for single-threaded work loads like AI generally is. I think this is going to force developers to develop SMT AIs and, although that sucks in the short term, it is amaze-bawls in the long term. Think of how complex an AI could be if it was coded for SMT? More intelligent & aware AI on a 16-core machine compared to a 4-core machine? Hell yes!

I think AMD's lackluster performance is going to finally get us engines for the computing future (parallel, not linear).

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I always imagine company meeting where project lead says "But guys, we can skip months of optimization completely if we drop to 30fps 900p. Just tell PR guys to keep saying it's for a better experience. Now we can meet the deadline. Problem solved (opens bottle of tequila)."

I hope they dont apply the same "mentality" with PC ports. But coming from Ubisoft i can expect anything.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Ubisoft PC ports are generally very good. The only problem Ubisoft has really had was using the most strict DRM available (Tages, Star-Force) and never patching it out.

Just don't buy their shit games. Who needs petitions, let your wallet do the talking. My life is just fine by entirely ignoring their games. I have and still buy all those pre UPlay games that i don't yet own and that were actually very good, but i just don't bother with the new ones. Let them have their moronic client and their 30fps...

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
As implied above, this is merely a lazy, one size fits all performance scheme where PC is brought down to console level because they no longer want to take the time to give the PC version separate optimization. More recently, in their wanting to boost console sales by leveling the playing field, it kills two birds with one stone for them.

I hate devs like this with a passion. Nothing but lies and BS excuses. The greedy, lazy bastards. They have no business even working in the gaming industry. And more often than not these are studio leads promoted up by the publishing side of big pub/dev teams, and the guys with the real talent and creativity at the dev end get held back by it.

It would serve them right if the more talented devs left and formed their own team, or went to join a team who's leaders actually DO care about PC gaming. We on PC have been taken on an emotional roller coaster ride ever since the so called "next gen" came about. At first it was all about how PC sales were about to eclipse console sales. But what good is it if they want to make PC games look like console games?

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name No name / Purple Haze
Processor Phenom II 1100T @ 3.8Ghz / Pentium 4 3.4 EE Gallatin @ 3.825Ghz
Motherboard MSI 970 Gaming/ Abit IC7-MAX3
Cooling CM Hyper 212X / Scythe Andy Samurai Master (CPU) - Modded Ati Silencer 5 rev. 2 (GPU)
Memory 8GB GEIL GB38GB2133C10ADC + 8GB G.Skill F3-14900CL9-4GBXL / 2x1GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC4000
Video Card(s) Asus R9 Fury X Strix (4096 SP's/1050 Mhz)/ PowerColor X850XT PE @ (600/1230) AGP + (HD3850 AGP)
Storage Samsung 250 GB / WD Caviar 160GB
Display(s) Benq XL2411T
Audio Device(s) motherboard / Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro + Front panel
Power Supply Tagan BZ 900W / Corsair HX620w
Mouse Zowie AM
Keyboard Qpad MK-50
Software Windows 7 Pro 64Bit / Windows XP
Benchmark Scores 64CU Fury: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/11269229 / X850XT PE http://www.3dmark.com/3dm05/5532432
"Technically we're CPU-bound," he said. "The GPUs are really powerful, obviously the graphics look pretty good, but it's the CPU [that] has to process the AI, the number of NPCs we have on screen, all these systems running in parallel.

"We were quickly bottlenecked by that and it was a bit frustrating, because we thought that this was going to be a tenfold improvement over everything AI-wise, and we realised it was going to be pretty hard. It's not the number of polygons that affect the framerate. We could be running at 100fps if it was just graphics, but because of AI, we're still limited to 30 frames per second."

This is why Mantle exists.

System Name TITAN Slayer / CPUCannon / MassFX
Processor i7 5960X @ 4.6Ghz / i7 3960x @5.0Ghz / FX6350 @ 4.?Ghz
Motherboard Rampage V Extreme / Rampage IV Extreme / MSI 970 Gaming
Cooling Phanteks PHTC14PE 2.5K 145mm TRs / Custom waterloop / Phanteks PHTC14PE + 3K 140mm Noctuas
Memory Crucial 2666 11-13-13-25 1.45V / G.skill RipjawsX 2400 10-12-12-34 1.7V / Crucial 2133 9-9-9-27 1.7V
Video Card(s) 3 Fury X in CF / R9 Fury 3840 cores 1145/570 1.3V / Nothing ATM
Storage 500GB Crucial SSD and 3TB WD Black / WD 1TB Black(OS) + WD 3TB Green / WD 1TB Blue
Display(s) LG 29UM67 80Hz/Asus mx299q 2560x1080 @ 84Hz / Asus VX239 1920x1080 @60hz
Case Dismatech easy v3.0 / Xigmatek Alfar (Open side panel)
Audio Device(s) M-audio M-track / realtek ALC 1150
Power Supply EVGA G2 1600W / CoolerMaster V1000 / Seasonic 620 M12-II
Mouse Mouse in review process/Razer Naga Epic 2011/Razer Naga 2014
Keyboard Keyboard in review process / Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014/Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2011
Software Windows 7 Ultimate / Windows 7 ultimate / Windows 7 ultimate
Benchmark Scores cinebench 15.41 3960x @ 5.3ghz Wprime32m 3.352 3960x @ 5.25ghz Super PI 32m: 6m 42s 472ms @5.25ghz
Where's the AAA titles using it, and benefitting?

THAT is why "Mantle exists", and frankly, I don't see it doing that much. Why that is... I am not sure.
Mantle doesn't exist for consoles because mantle is supposed to be get the dev closer to the metal however consoles are already close to the metal so they don't need mantle. However this AI being too slow makes me wonder why they couldn't try throwing some of the AI related calculations on the GPU since they obviously have plenty of excess power there.

Processor Intel i7-4770k
Motherboard ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO
Cooling Deepcool GAMMAXX S40
Memory Kingston HyperX Beast Black 8gb @ 1600 cl8
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 670 POWER EDITION
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Caviar Black 500GB
Display(s) BenQ XL2420T
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U3
Power Supply FSP 650w
120 fps or GTFO.