• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTX 780 suffers a lot of TDRs on high end games.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Ok. I prolly have a very bad Psu. What do you mean 600 army edition and 600M? Im sorry im not that well informed with PSUs. But, regardless, it should still be able to support all my devices right? I mean it is 600 watts.

My friend has 550W Psu and he suffers the exact same crashes I do, the guys back at Zotac said it was working perfectly fine with them and the card was tested 48 hours straight. Now what could we be doing wrong?

There are three models of Strike-X 600W. One is called just that, but there are also 600M and 600 Army Edition models. Check the sticker on your PSU and let me know the model or a part number or something, I can crosscheck it.

Nah, even though the PSU you have is a bit janky, it should still be capable of providing what it states. It's not like it's a HEC or a CiT OEM, and it actually has the minerals (50A) to back it up. Technically speaking it should be perfectly fine. If the RMA guys who tested it claim it's working perfectly, it is possible your 12v rail is cream crackered. I doubt it though, you'd have more issues if your PSU was genuinely FUBAR.

What brand is your friend's PSU who tried it in their PC?

Last edited:

Yuber8f

There are three models of Strike-X 600W. One is called just that, but there are also 600M and 600 Army Edition models. Check the sticker on your PSU and let me know the model or a part number or something, I can crosscheck it.

Nah, even though the PSU you have is a bit janky, it should still be capable of providing what it states. It's not like it's a HEC or a CiT OEM, and it actually has the minerals (50A) to back it up. Technically speaking it should be perfectly fine. If the RMA guys who tested it claim it's working perfectly, it is possible your 12v rail is cream crackered. I doubt it though, you'd have more issues if your PSU was genuinely FUBAR.

What brand is your friend's PSU who tried it in their PC?

It simply is called 600w. As for my friend's PSU, lemme get a hold of him.

So. If we rule out the PSU as the culprit what could we both have done differently compared to zotac guys?

RECAP: My games didn't crash when I underclocked my card by 20MHz

Processor I5 4690K @ 4.8 Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7
Cooling Swiftech H140X
Memory 16GB Crucial BallistiX 1866Mhz
Video Card(s) GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
Storage 850 PRO 1TB SSD, 840 EVO 500GB SSD, 850 EVO 500GB
Display(s) Nixeus EDG 27-Inch IPS 1440P, 144HZ 16:9
Case NZXT H440 Red/Black
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse G600
Keyboard G710+
Software Win 10 64B
Sort of irrelevant. But When I upgraded to my GTX 970 and AMD 8350, my old 600W PS was technically enough power.... but the PS was such a peice of junk the computer would restart every 30 minutes after starting a game due to not being able to provide the full power and becoming unstable.

The PS technically had enough power, but the brand was garbage, so it didnt matter. Now I have a EVGA 750 G2, Yes i know kinda of to much, but can't hurt.

System Name EVGA-FX | Lenny (Lenovo Y480)
Processor AMD FX-8320 @ 4.5GHz 1.416v | i7 3610qm
Motherboard Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE
Memory 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600 | 8gb DDR3 @ 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX780 Classified @ 1228MHz 1.615v | GT640m LE
Storage Crucial M500 480GB, WD Caviar Blue 500GB, WD Scorpio Blue 750GB | Samsung 250GB 840
Display(s) Qnix QX2710 1440p | 42" Vizio 3D LCD TV 1080p
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo
Power Supply Seasonic G-650
Software Windows 6.3.9600
It simply is called 600w. As for my friend's PSU, lemme get a hold of him.

So. If we rule out the PSU as the culprit what could we both have done differently compared to zotac guys?

RECAP: My games didn't crash when I underclocked my card by 20MHz

Power limit maybe? Raising the voltage a step may help as well.

Regardless, you shouldn't have an issue with the card at stock settings.

Lex Luger

I doubt its your power supply. The card comes pre overclocked, but it is not receiving enough voltage to handle the stock speed it runs at.

The reference Nvidia GTX 780 has a stock boost speed of 900, while your AMP! edition has stock boost speed of 1000+

Thats why your errors go away when you underclock. This happens more often than you would think with pre overclocked cards like you Zotac AMP!

You should download the latest version of GPU-Z and check your cards ASIC quality. This number tells you how good of quality your chip is.

You can always add more voltage and increase the power limit in order to raise clock speeds, but this increases GPU heat and stresses the voltage regulation more. One thing you can overclock without having to worry about damaging your GPU is the memory speed.

Your card is a large triple fan design and a fairly beefy VRM setup. If you manually raise the fan speed, you can ensure than your card will stay cool enough to handle at least a small overclock without having to worry.

Last edited:

Yuber8f

I doubt its your power supply. The card comes pre overclocked, but it is not receiving enough voltage to handle the stock speed it runs at.

The reference Nvidia GTX 780 has a stock boost speed of 900, while your AMP! edition has stock boost speed of 1000+

Thats why your errors go away when you underclock. This happens more often than you would think with pre overclocked cards like you Zotac AMP!

You should download the latest version of GPU-Z and check your cards ASIC quality. This number tells you how good of quality your chip is.

You can always add more voltage and increase the power limit in order to raise clock speeds, but this increases GPU heat and stresses the voltage regulation more. One thing you can overclock without having to worry about damaging your GPU is the memory speed.

"but it is not receiving enough voltage to handle the stock speed it runs at. "

So whose fault is it? Is it the card's right? I can't check my card at the moment because it is with Zotac's. If the main reason why I have to underclock the card is because of poor chip performance, then aren't I qualified for an RMA? (Zotac peeps say card is perfectly fine)

Lex Luger

Yeah, Zotac isnt known for having great customer service. They could of just not tested the videocard very thoroughly. Of course its hard to diagnose your problem exactly through the internet. You said you tried you card in your friends rig with your friend's power supply, right? Thats why I highly doubt its anything but the card.

If you have some money to spend, a new gold rated or even platinum rated power supply would make a great long term investment, but I doubt it would fix your card problem.

My money is on Zotac being at fault. If you card cant handle stock speed, yes you are entitled to a new one. Sucks that they may not be honoring the warranty.

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
System Name Titan
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I Gaming WiFi
Cooling ID-COOLING SE-207-XT Slim Snow
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 2x16GB DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB GDDR6 (MBA)
Storage 2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVMe
Display(s) AOpen Fire Legend 24" (25XV2Q), Dough Spectrum One 27" (Glossy), LG C4 42" (OLED42C4PUA)
Case ASUS Prime AP201 33L White
Audio Device(s) Kanto Audio YU2 and SUB8 Desktop Speakers and Subwoofer, Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Logitech Pro Superlight (White), G303 Shroud Edition
Keyboard Wooting 60HE / NuPhy Air75 v2
VR HMD Occulus Quest 2 128GB
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit 23H2 Build 22631.3447
It could be the motherboard not providing the 75w of power, but if your friend's PC was experiencing the same issue, then all sources point back to the card.

Yuber8f

Yeah, Zotac isnt known for having great customer service. They could of just not tested the videocard very thoroughly. Of course its hard to diagnose your problem exactly through the internet. You said you tried you card in your friends rig with your friend's power supply, right? Thats why I highly doubt its anything but the card.

If you have some money to spend, a new gold rated or even platinum rated power supply would make a great long term investment, but I doubt it would fix your card problem.

My money is on Zotac being at fault. If you card cant handle stock speed, yes you are entitled to a new one. Sucks that they may not be honoring the warranty.

Yeall well they are returning my card to me, they said it's perfectly fine. Sigh. Any thoughts?

BTW thanks for all your feed back =)

System Name Better than before
Processor 10400
Motherboard B460 Pro4
Cooling Id-Cooling 224
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) 1650 Super
Storage Swordfish 500 GB
Display(s) AOC G2
Case Coolermaster Ammo 533
Audio Device(s) Micca MB42X
Power Supply Pure Power 11
Mouse G403
Keyboard Sidewinder x4
Software Windows 10 (ugh)
The 20 mhz won't make any difference really. Your situation could be worse, I'd settle personally.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Yeall well they are returning my card to me, they said it's perfectly fine. Sigh. Any thoughts?

BTW thanks for all your feed back =)

Drivers or power supply.

I'd probably set that card aside and get another or a 980