• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OFFICIAL Dying Light (Discussion)

System Name OptimusFine
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 / 2x NF-S12A-PWM Chromax
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX CL15 3000mhz 32gb
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080 12GB Gaming OC
Storage Samsung M.2 SSD 960 Evo 250GB / 2 Crucial SSD MX500 2TB & 1 1TB / Seagate 2TB Hdd / Toshiba 2Tb Hdd
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW, ASUS ROG PG279Q
Case Cooler Master H500M
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis 7+ / Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair RM850X
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
:mad: I'm still trying to find the guy under the bridge. I've been at it 7 times, and I always get caught by the climbing and running zombies, who are supposed to be out at night. But it doesn't look light night.

I think I suck at this game, LOL!!!
The guy under the bridge, you mean the guy who kicked out the woman who had 2 kids? you can reach him by just swimming out of the village to the "foot" of the bridge. Night missions are hard but not THAT hard, you can usually sneak past the volatiles since they show up on the minimap and if you keep using Q just to have a sense of where they are. As for the darkness, just use the flashlight and if you find yourself cornered use a flare as it acts like a portable safe zone.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Also molotovs.
If I ever get in trouble I throw those things around like skittles.
Green puky man? Solved with molotovs.
Except on those concrete lamppost hammer guys. Definitely don't use molotovs.

System Name OptimusFine
Storage Samsung M.2 SSD 960 Evo 250GB / 2 Crucial SSD MX500 2TB & 1 1TB / Seagate 2TB Hdd / Toshiba 2Tb Hdd
Case Cooler Master H500M
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Also molotovs.
If I ever get in trouble I throw those things around like skittles.
Green puky man? Solved with molotovs.
Except on those concrete lamppost hammer guys. Definitely don't use molotovs.
man I had such a satisfying kill yesterday with a puky zombie on a roof top. he was so annoying throwing those bombs while I was trying to kill some of rais's guys so after I killed them I climbed some buildings which where farther away, started running and jumping towards him and at the final jump I pressed attack and I just lunged at him from one house to another smashing his head in>:peace: This games satisfies my inner psychopath :laugh:

I'm enjoying it, getting good performance on my 970. VRAM maxes out for me at 1440p as well. What really surprised was how much RAM this game uses. I think it was at like ~5GB. At least you can tell it's truly a 64-bit engine.

Definitely don't use molotovs.

Use bottles of flammable liquid. Hit the big guys with one of those and any fire that touches them kills them instantly.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
I'm enjoying it, getting good performance on my 970. VRAM maxes out for me at 1440p as well. What really surprised was how much RAM this game uses. I think it was at like ~5GB. At least you can tell it's truly a 64-bit engine.

Use bottles of flammable liquid. Hit the big guys with one of those and any fire that touches them kills them instantly.

Funnily enough, I've never thought about measuring system RAM. Might add that in to future benches.

System Name OptimusFine
Case Cooler Master H500M
VR HMD Oculus Rift

Yeah for me the same, have like ~6GB RAM used out of 8 and pagefile a whopping 8-9 GB

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Funnily enough, I've never thought about measuring system RAM. Might add that in to future benches.

I'd be curious to know if any of the games are using more than 8 GB system RAM. Maybe 16 GB will be in order for my Skylake build later this year.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
I can't complain about stuff like " a lot of buildings are identical", "you can't incapacitate yourself" etc, I have yet to see an open world game where most buildings are unique snowflakes inside and out. Also, incapacitating yourself by breaking a leg would just be incredibly frustrating since you would become zombie meat in seconds.

It's pretty obvious, just look around the buildings once you get outside of your tower. They are literally identical. It may not bother you but it to me makes the idea of the 'big city' more like one little city that's been repeated over and over.
Yes, breaking a leg would be frustrating, so don't go jumping off thirty foot buildings!? :)

System Name OptimusFine
Case Cooler Master H500M
VR HMD Oculus Rift
It's pretty obvious, just look around the buildings once you get outside of your tower. They are literally identical. It may not bother you but it to me makes the idea of the 'big city' more like one little city that's been repeated over and over.
Yes, breaking a leg would be frustrating, so don't go jumping off thirty foot buildings!? :)
That's why you die if you do so :laugh: And even in real life, apartment blocks and houses tend to be the same, at least where I live. Open world games have this "problem" and I can't really blame the devs, it looks like they put quite the effort in designing the city. To me the landscape looks pretty detailed and unique, really a breath of fresh air from recent games.:)

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
...A lot of the buildings are identical inside and out, to the point where the objects inside (cupboards, drawers, chests, tool boxes) are equally identical - very cookie cutter...You can't incapacitate yourself with any type of sprain or wound from falling/missing a jump...

This is at best a very impoverished city. A lot of the buildings are cheaply constructed to pretty much favela-like standards. Look at any such city and you will find this type of simple modular construction that has a repeat theme. I do find however that there are enough differences in building exteriors to keep the parkour a thing where you have to keep an eye out while you're running.

Not many games have limping animations. I feel it's enough that they have severe health loss and even death when falling from greater heights. They also darken the screen, increase the heart rate, and slow movement. Having limping wouldn't make it much different other than more screen bob. This IS after all a first person perspective game where you wouldn't even see such things onscreen.

I just feel these two things sound a bit nit picky. You make it sound like they got lazy with this game's structure, but just the fact that pretty much any object in the game is interactive with the parkour took tons of time to accomplish.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Fix for those experiencing less than 90% load on CPU cores
  1. Launch the game.
  2. Alt-Tab out and open Task Manager.
  3. Go to the Details tab to see all processes.
  4. Right-click on DyingLightGame.exe
  5. Choose Set Affinity and uncheck <All Processors> then re-check ONLY CPU 0. Press OK. The game will freeze in the background, don't worry.
  6. If the Affinity window closes, right-click and open it again, then re-enable <All Processors>. The game will start running again as before.
  7. You're done! The load will be balanced and the game will run much more smoothly.
Remember: Your mileage may vary, especially with different numbers of cores. You'll also need to do this each time you launch the game, which is why it should only be a temporary fix.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
I watched some gameplay vids, and this really looks like Dead Island to me.... With less firepower.... Is this really that much better than DI?

System Name OptimusFine
Case Cooler Master H500M
VR HMD Oculus Rift
I watched some gameplay vids, and this really looks like Dead Island to me.... With less firepower.... Is this really that much better than DI?
It's really a preference thing, like someone said before, it feels like dead island should have been.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
This is at best a very impoverished city. A lot of the buildings are cheaply constructed to pretty much favela-like standards. Look at any such city and you will find this type of simple modular construction that has a repeat theme. I do find however that there are enough differences in building exteriors to keep the parkour a thing where you have to keep an eye out while you're running.

All due respect, you should go back and actually look. Everything in the buildings I am speaking of, are identical - the items AND their placement. They are literally copies of one another.

Here's some examples, and these were only a handful I picked up running past. And mind you, I've only highlighted some of the objects ; the fact they are clones in every way - not withstanding.

Building 1

Building 2

Building 3 .... should I keep going?

Not many games have limping animations. I feel it's enough that they have severe health loss and even death when falling from greater heights. They also darken the screen, increase the heart rate, and slow movement. Having limping wouldn't make it much different other than more screen bob. This IS after all a first person perspective game where you wouldn't even see such things onscreen.

So in short, you get all the visuals of making a mistake, but none of the penalty - unless of course you do something extreme.
I wasn't concerned about the POV, I was concerned about movement speed. You know, something very helpful when you're being chased by zombies? Again, what fear is there when you can just sprint and hop up onto a building?

I just feel these two things sound a bit nit picky. You make it sound like they got lazy with this game's structure, but just the fact that pretty much any object in the game is interactive with the parkour took tons of time to accomplish.

I'm not making it sound like they are lazy, THEY WERE lazy. They assumed every one would be high on this gay parkour trend or happy it's basically Assassin's Creed with zombies that they wouldn't care or be bothered by a city full of redundancy. I just knew when I saw the whole city for the first time, that there would be a catch.

And in fact you are proving my point with your example. The more similar the buildings are (and in this case - identical), the easier it is to make objects/structures interactive, because the assets are already there. Now if the buildings were very unique, then the geometry would be different and THEN, it would have taken tons of time to accomplish because there weren't many similarities.

Last edited:
Processor Intel 13700K
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
^I'm sure some might be on the edge of reporting this post for hate speak. I'm not gay, but I wouldn't blame those whom are for complaining about your petty, immature analogy of the parkour. Besides that, it was well advertised this game would be heavily leaning toward a very parkour style of play. If that's not your thing so be it, but why buy it, then bash it for that feature? At this point I don't know if this is typical for you, or you just feel backed into a corner on some of the talking points and are reaching for any stones you can throw. I just don't see the rationale of buying a game that is widely known to be parkour oriented, and use it as a reason to imply it has sissy gameplay.

Now to reverse and go paragraph by paragraph after the one glaring thing I felt need be addressed first.

I'm sorry, but I see no respect here. There ARE in fact clear differences in building exteriors and interiors despite the somewhat modular design of many of them. Having worked for a while as an apprentice for a home remodeler whom ran his own business, I have a bit of an eye for such details. Clearly you don't.

NONE of the penalty from falling? This is an example of what I just mentioned regarding your lack of attention to detail. Clearly you can take severe health loss, and the screen darkens considerably. Even were there no slowed movement from it, you need to heal, which slows your movement due to the healing animation, and until doing so your vision is impaired.

This paragraph was already covered at the start, but I'll add that it's insulting to anyone in the sport of parkour, or stuntmen whom use it in movies, right on down to the average citizen whom tries out for and competes in Ninja Warrior to call it "gay". You only make yourself look like a sissy in saying so. I'm sure any one of them would make you look like a wimp.

It's obvious you don't have enough knowledge or experience with object scripting in games to even know how they are given interactive properties. You seem to assume all objects with similar features are just automatically scripted that way when one is. It doesn't work that way. Maybe if you spent some time actually learning how to do such scripting instead of being so "lazy" yourself, you'd know that. Furthermore the play testing alone to make sure all interactive objects work as intended takes a huge amount of time itself, but being as your analogy is petty and lazy, you don't appreciate that.

You've only made it obvious with your disrespect for parkour and game scripting in general that you are not knowledgeable enough or interested enough in this type of gameplay to even have a credible, unbiased, insightful opinion on it. Why you even bought the game in the first place is a mystery. Assuming of course it WAS purchased? If it was, tell us, how do you feel for having bought a game you knew has features you consider "gay"? Maybe you're the closet type and don't know it. Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
LOL, I don't need to see tons of red squares to know what you mean newc, and you're having posted up such a montage only proves my point of what you're overlooking. A small impoverished city, esp if it's fairly remotely located would likely source the same contractors and supplies for such cheaply made homes. It's very modular construction like I said. All you've done is take note of some similar items. You give no attention to differences in building structures, or floor plans. There are plenty of different types of safe zones too. You often have to look around for what needs be done to unlock them. Then once you travel to Sector 0, if looks drastically different. Play the game some more if you are, then you'll see. Slums are slums though, it's common that there's more repeat construction in them.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Oh man, this has to be the first game in a while that really benefited from pulling my XBOX controller out of storage. My rumblepad 2 was useless. The back triggers did not work, the analog stick was wonky and even using Xpadder could not properly emulate key strokes within Dying Light.
I think I finally feel justified in having shelled out money to Microsoft for the gamepad.

Processor 2x Intel Xeon Processor E5-2670
Motherboard ASROCK SSI-EEB DUAL-SOCKET EP2C602-4L/D16
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series™ H105 240mm / Coolermaster Hyper Evo 212
Memory Samsung ECC 1333Mhz 64GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte G1 Gaming GeForce GTX 980 4GB
Storage WD Black 1,5TB 7200rpm 64MB Cache 3.5" / Samsung Pro 850 256GB SSD
Display(s) Asus P298Q 29'' IPS
Case NZXT S340
Power Supply Corsair AX860 80 PLUS® Platinum Fully Modular
Mouse Razer Taipan Ambidextrous
Keyboard Cooler Master Quickfire XT MX Cherry BLUE
Software Win7 64bit / Razer Electra
first of all, i was really impressed with the graphics, which took me playing. when reached about 30% story completness, it was kinda getting booring for me, almost the same jobs had to be done, almost like a routine. nothing really new. or maybe its just not my kind of game

System Name hijo de la chingada!
Processor fx-8150
Motherboard asus crosshair V
Cooling xigmatek small fri
Memory g skill sniper 1866
Video Card(s) visiontek 5850 long tooth
Storage a couple slow fat ones
Display(s) 2 one for tools one for "work"
Case shinobi fap black
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply one that works, CrazyEyes ;)
Software lots that i can color hello kitty with
Benchmark Scores before fx-8150 P13784 3DMarks
All due respect, you should go back and actually look. Everything in the buildings I am speaking of, are identical - the items AND their placement. They are literally copies of one another.

Here's some examples, and these were only a handful I picked up running past. And mind you, I've only highlighted some of the objects ; the fact they are clones in every way - not withstanding.

Building 1

Building 2

Building 3 .... should I keep going?

So in short, you get all the visuals of making a mistake, but none of the penalty - unless of course you do something extreme.
I wasn't concerned about the POV, I was concerned about movement speed. You know, something very helpful when you're being chased by zombies? Again, what fear is there when you can just sprint and hop up onto a building?

I'm not making it sound like they are lazy, THEY WERE lazy. They assumed every one would be high on this gay parkour trend or happy it's basically Assassin's Creed with zombies that they wouldn't care or be bothered by a city full of redundancy. I just knew when I saw the whole city for the first time, that there would be a catch.

And in fact you are proving my point with your example. The more similar the buildings are (and in this case - identical), the easier it is to make objects/structures interactive, because the assets are already there. Now if the buildings were very unique, then the geometry would be different and THEN, it would have taken tons of time to accomplish because there weren't many similarities.
How do I unlock the red squares?

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
How do I unlock the red squares?
LOL, by subscribing to his "everything looks the same" diatribe I guess. Know however that you may never be satisfied with a game again, as literally all games that have city dwellings use repeat objects. He's either in denial of that, or oblivious to it.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
...... , as literally all games that have city dwellings use repeat objects. ....
Most of them are not quite so blatant about it, however....

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK

The ones that use those objects to contain scavenging items are. It's a petty rant really.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro

And that's the rub. I actually got turned around several times thinking I was visiting the same buildings!

That's what I get for trying to not use a virtual compass in a game!

LOL, by subscribing to his "everything looks the same" diatribe I guess. Know however that you may never be satisfied with a game again, as literally all games that have city dwellings use repeat objects. He's either in denial of that, or oblivious to it.

Jesus, it's killing you man isn't it..?; that for once no one wants to argue with your intolerance and ignorance.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Wow, things are getting harsh here. It's just a game guys. :D

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
The nitpicky bickering will stop now. Consider this a warning.