• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Games not smooth despite 60+ FPS when vsync is off!

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1

You're describing, once again, studdering. If the screen is tearing, then V-Sync probably isn't actually on because there are plenty of driver level settings that override what you and the application wants. It does introduce studder (not tearing) though. If you read that 2nd to last link you provided, the guy even edited his StackOverflow question to say that it appeared that scenes were getting rendered multiple times, so while the output was synchronized the actual rendering that altered the frame-buffer was not. Therefore the "changes" that actually occurred were happening slower than the frame rate.

This is the result of bad programming not bad v-sync.

This guy's question was answered:
StackOverflow said:
It seems like you're not synchronizing your 60Hz frame loop with the GPU's 60Hz VSync. Yes, you have enabled Vsync in Nvidia but that only causes Nvidia to use a back-buffer which is swapped on the Vsync.

You need to set the swap interval to 1 and perform a glFinish() to wait for the Vsync.

Once again, look above. He has a physical memory problem which could very well be the problem (an occasional memory swap WILL drop a frame) and discussion of ours is only a tangent.

Edit: Adaptive v-sync isn't really pure v-sync.

Last edited:
System Name Old but gold
Processor 3770k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Asus Maximus Gene V
Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 16Gb 1600 DDR3@2400 Cl11
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 FE
Storage SanDisk Extreme 120Gb SSD (os) , SanDisk 480Gb (Games), WD Caviar Black 4 TB (Games and storage)
Display(s) 32" Samsung HDTV 1080P
Case Some old Dell
Audio Device(s) Onboard HDMI
Power Supply EVGA G2 550w
Software Windows 10 Pro 1903
It's understandable the OP is miffed as when he first had everything installed everything worked fine. Introduce a fresh install on an SSD and it's suddenly different? Some people will be like, it's user fault blah blah blah. But tbh I've had the same experience and managed to fix it. I had to reinstall again and basically methodically eliminate stuff that I thought could be the source of the issue.

This involved a different combination of chipset drivers, installing graphics drivers without all the excess stuff like physx, geforce experience etc. I then slowly introduced stuff back again one by one and eventually found a very smooth combination for my particular system.

Don't lose heart OP and don't get annoyed, just try the process of elimination and take things slowly. Even removing and reinstalling the same graphics driver can sometimes miraculously resolve issues. Some games work great on some drivers, some have issues and need frame caps (as mentioned by Mussels). It's a learning curve and what I tend to do is keep a record of what games worked well on what driver just so in the future I know for sure that the graphics driver worked well with it and that something else must be affecting it's performance. Something I may have possibly introduced to the system.

Last edited:
System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
It wouldn't hurt to run GPU-Z or afterburner sensor graphs in background while the stuttering occurs, then review the graph history to rule out any gpu/driver issues and by the way to monitor memory consumption.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
It wouldn't hurt to run GPU-Z or afterburner sensor graphs in background while the stuttering occurs, then review the graph history to rule out any gpu/driver issues and by the way to monitor memory consumption.

Which GPU memory could be it, as i have seen the game hit 3.6GB of video ram but that's at 3200x1800.

Forgot to say i have my GPU down clocked to 724 and game still runs perfectly.

Last edited:
System Name Selene / Yoda
Processor Fx 8350 @ 4.4 / Phenom II x6 1090t @ 3.6
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 r4.0 / Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Cooling H100i / Xig Dark Knight
Memory 4x 8gb G.Skill Snipers / 4x 4gb G.Skill Ares
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9 290x / XfX DD & VisionTek HD6850's C'fired
Storage 256gb ssd, 2x 2tb Wd Blacks & 1x 1tb Wd black / 1x 1tb
Display(s) Dell Ultra Sharp 2408 WFp / Hp w2207
Case Raidmax Vampire / Chieftec Alum. Dragon Blue
Audio Device(s) Onboard Hd Audio / Onboard Hd Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX 850 watt / Corsair TX 750 watt
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Win 10 pro / Win Vista Home prem. 64 bit
Benchmark Scores What are benchmarks anyway?
Did you have the hard drive connected while you reinstalled the Win 8.1 on your SSD?
And/or are you using the HDD for your swap file instead of the SSD? Dumb question...I know.
This. The hdd was installed when windows was installed when windows was installed to the ssd. Your swap file is on the hdd instead of the ssd. default for windows install when a hdd is present when doing a os install on a ssd. Always just have the os drive hooked up when doing the os install, no other drives. Install those after the os install.

Yeah, you'd be surprised how much of a difference it can make. Since the speed of the drive with the page file = the speed of the "virtual memory". Particularly the random read/write speeds. I just thought it was a dumb thing to ask because I assume everybody knows that. And/or knows how important that is when the pagefile is being stored on a HDD or SSD.

Last edited:
Processor Intel core i5 4690k
Motherboard Gigabyte z97x gaming 3
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 4GB
Storage 1 TB Barracuda / SSD Samsung Evo 120 GB (Windows 8.1 installed)
Case NZXT S340
Power Supply Corsair x600m
Alright. I did all you said and did not help it. Now i can confirm that i have some issue whit PC. Its nothing to do with 60hz Monitor.

So ive just lowered resolution to low to all games and games become smooth as butter again with disabled vsync.
So it seems that fps software do not recognize fps drop and showing high fps when game is not smooth. Now i tried different fps softwares like fraps , dxtory but still is the same.

System Name Some computer stuff
Processor Mostly Intel or AMD
Motherboard ATX or mATX
Cooling Bong Cooler
Memory DDR2-4
Video Card(s) A few
Storage Plenty Platters or SSDs or USBs
Display(s) Samsung 23"
Case 5 on the floor
Audio Device(s) There's one for my M7 Gene, Oh I have 3-4 PCI 5.1 ones.Sabrent! lol
Power Supply 750-1000W
Mouse cheap
Keyboard Used ps2 from garage sales
Software Yeah
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/schmuckley/#Hardware_Library http://valid.canardpc.com/rbjpbg
Do you have an extra 2gb RAM stick laying around?

Case NZXT S340
Motherboard ATX or mATX
Cooling Bong Cooler
Memory DDR2-4
Video Card(s) A few
Display(s) Samsung 23"
Case 5 on the floor
Audio Device(s) There's one for my M7 Gene, Oh I have 3-4 PCI 5.1 ones.Sabrent! lol
Power Supply 750-1000W
Mouse cheap
Software Yeah
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/schmuckley/#Hardware_Library http://valid.canardpc.com/rbjpbg
You might be running out of RAM
How many GB do you have installed?
There's other things you can do, too..
Like set the affinity for the game to only 2 cores maybe..

Case NZXT S340
You might be running out of RAM
How many GB do you have installed?
There's other things you can do, too..
Like set the affinity for the game to only 2 cores maybe..

i have 8gb.

How do i do that?

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
You're describing, once again, studdering. If the screen is tearing, then V-Sync probably isn't actually on because there are plenty of driver level settings that override what you and the application wants. It does introduce studder (not tearing) though. If you read that 2nd to last link you provided, the guy even edited his StackOverflow question to say that it appeared that scenes were getting rendered multiple times, so while the output was synchronized the actual rendering that altered the frame-buffer was not. Therefore the "changes" that actually occurred were happening slower than the frame rate.

This is the result of bad programming not bad v-sync.

This guy's question was answered:

Once again, look above. He has a physical memory problem which could very well be the problem (an occasional memory swap WILL drop a frame) and discussion of ours is only a tangent.

Edit: Adaptive v-sync isn't really pure v-sync.

I have all so read that changing the frames read ahead from default 3 to 4 has helped some people with nVidia cards. Not used a nVidia card for many years now and it used to be the other way around but hey maybe it will help in this case.

run app\game in question and open Task Manager and right click the task and select Set Affinity

Motherboard ATX or mATX
Cooling Bong Cooler
Memory DDR2-4
Video Card(s) A few
Display(s) Samsung 23"
Case 5 on the floor
Power Supply 750-1000W
Mouse cheap
Software Yeah
ctrl+alt+del while game is running..
find game in task manager..
untick all but 2 threads. (1st 2)
I'm not familiar with what game you're playing..
If your CPU has hyperthreading,use thread 0 and 2.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
ctrl+alt+del while game is running..
find game in task manager..
untick all but 2 threads. (1st 2)
I'm not familiar with what game you're playing..
If your CPU has hyperthreading,use thread 0 and 2.
He has a devil's canyon i5, it's in the OP's first post.
GTX 970 4gb OC
i5 4690k
8gb of Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz
Gigabyte Z97 Gaming 3 Motherboard
Corsair x600m
Samsung Evo SSD 120GB
Barracuda HDD 1TB

When you have a CPU without HyperThreading, changing the core affinity doesn't really do a whole lot. Once again, I think the hick-ups the OP is experiencing is due to Windows swapping pages out of physical memory. We really should focus on that issue first as it's the biggest and has the most potential to cause issues as the OP did say he was getting low on memory.

Changing the priority will help on if whatever else is taking time if another process is taking time. If the machine is swapping, this won't do you any good.

Case NZXT S340
He has a devil's canyon i5, it's in the OP's first post.

When you have a CPU without HyperThreading, changing the core affinity doesn't really do a whole lot. Once again, I think the hick-ups the OP is experiencing is due to Windows swapping pages out of physical memory. We really should focus on that issue first as it's the biggest and has the most potential to cause issues as the OP did say he was getting low on memory.

Changing the priority will help on if whatever else is taking time if another process is taking time. If the machine is swapping, this won't do you any good.

What do you mean by swapping? I wish that i could find the solution to this instead of plaining to buy windows 7 and try with that :/

Processor FX6350@4.2ghz-i54670k@4ghz
Video Card(s) HD7850-R9290
down grading to win 7 really only helps with older games.. they have tested the games you mentioned with win 8.

there is a few good suggestions here but i dont know what exactly to make of it. jump on the gsync boat!

swapping is referring to windows page file on a hdd/ssd and the system ram.. if what your doing is using more vram than what your gpu has it can use the resources with a performance penalty.

What do you mean by swapping? I wish that i could find the solution to this instead of plaining to buy windows 7 and try with that :/
Using the swap file/page file/virtual memory. Which means your available RAM/physical memory is low, or none, and the CPU is swapping pages stored in the virtual memory(the page file on your HDD or SSD) to substitute for what it can't fit/find in the RAM.

So maybe you didn't fix that if you didn't understand why you should. I highly recommend you do. As in, set no paging file for the HDD, and instead use the SSD for that. If you don't know how to set the amount of virtual memory manually, google it.

I also highly recommend you try the Windows 10 Pro Technical Preview. Which works very well on my system with the latest build. Especially for gaming. And, if you end up liking it, it's going to be a free upgrade from 7 or 8 when it's released. So it's definitely worth trying first, since the preview is also free.

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
What do you mean by swapping?
I mean that you're running out of physical memory and that Windows is needing to "swap" memory pages to the page file on the hard drive. This takes time and is anything but fast which is why I say that poor performance could be caused by this. It's entirely possible that you had enough memory free before starting the game, but then after you started playing it may needed to have put some system files or background service's memory into swap space (virtual memory, hard drive space that acts as system memory.)

Re-installing Windows might solve the problem if it's bloatware or a memory leak but, if it's because of all the services you run on your computer plus applications like after effects, then it makes more sense (IMHO) to upgrade to 16GB of memory. That all depends on your time constraints and budget though. I know that it takes me a little bit of time before i get my tower back to where I want it after a re-install, so I tend to be a little more conservative on the re-installs then I have in the past.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Or just permanently set the page file to use your ssd and never to use the hdd it Will wear the ssd out quicker but it wont reduce much of its useful life.
By that I mean I used a revo x2 120gb for five years like that and because it was a small sdd I don't care now its dead because I got my moneys worth of speedy use and for five years ,Now a 120 is worth little and so it will be in three years for your ssd.

Case NZXT S340
Or just permanently set the page file to use your ssd and never to use the hdd it Will wear the ssd out quicker but it wont reduce much of its useful life.
By that I mean I used a revo x2 120gb for five years like that and because it was a small sdd I don't care now its dead because I got my moneys worth of speedy use and for five years ,Now a 120 is worth little and so it will be in three years for your ssd.

Okey but how do i do that? :)

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
hers a screeny of the steps taken on mine ,you can see i have it set now.
pagefile change.png

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
vsync eliminates tearing, but it won't remove stutters if the system drops frames. I reckon the OP's system was always dropping below 60fps momentarily like he describes, but he just didn't notice because vsync was off. Especially with Far Cry 4, where it doesn't run all that fast anyway.

You would still notice it.

This has nothing to do with OS version, hard disks or even hardware components.

The cause of the stutter/lack of smoothness is inconsistent frame latency. Going from 60-120 and back all the time, will be very noticeable with wildly fluctuating frame times.

Mussels hit you with the most simplistic solution, which is to cap the frames to something you can achieve at all times. Radeon Pro can also do this.
This method is a quick way to also tackle that issue where a game like Far Cry 4 dips to 57,58,56 FPS. Cap it at 55 and the problem is solved.

You can then leave Vsync off and the tearing should be minimal.

An alternative option (which works out better depending on the game engine), is to set a custom refresh rate for your monitor that matches your sustainable FPS. i.e. 70
Then you can use a program like Radeon Pro and lock the game's FPS to the refresh rate.
Again, Vsync would be optional.

This method works particularly well when you have a situation where the game is simply too demanding and 60fps is unattainable. Dying light is like this for me. 40-50 is the best average I get when moving about the city.
I made a custom 40hz resolution and then locked the game to the refresh rate. It holds the same frame latency for 100% of the time and feels smoother than when I have it bouncing back and forth from 40-50, with the occasional 80+ spike while staring at a wall or the sky.

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Will wear the ssd out quicker but it wont reduce much of its useful life.
That depends on how often the machine is thrashing. The harder it thrashes the more stress it puts on the SSD, so if it gets to the point where gigabytes of memory are getting swapped, you'll be reducing the longevity of that drive pretty quickly. It also don't solve the problem that the OP very well might be running out of physical memory. I would call this a band-aid, not a solution.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
Once again, I think the recommendations here are good, but the elephant in the room is probably being ignored.

It may explain why he sees some variation in 'general' performance vs. his previous installation and setup.

The stutter issue he describes is something separate.