• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Games not smooth despite 60+ FPS when vsync is off!

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
It may explain why he sees some variation in 'general' performance vs. his previous installation and setup.

The stutter issue he describes is something separate.
Actually I think it could explain both. A lot of thrashing would kill performance but, an occasional thrash could cause hick-ups in the time it takes to render just one or two frames until performance normalizes back out (when the trashing stops.) The memory usage problem is a glaring problem and I don't see how anyone can avoid it as it could be the source most of the OP's issues as the frame latency could be directly impacted by how often the machine needs to swap pages. It's also entirely possible there is a background process that's causing the windows scheduler to not give the game the same amount of CPU time for every frame that gets rendered.

Something causes frame latency spikes and I'm trying to address the cause of that, not hide the symptom as you suggest because I think there is a problem here that needs to be addressed before determining if the frame latency could use more improvement from tweaking settings. The simple fact is that memory seems to be in short supply on his system and rectifying that problem could solve this problem in its entirety.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
I would agree with you, but if THAT amount of memory leak/issue was being observed, I would imagine the 'stutters' he experienced would be more akin to something you'd get with hard drive thrashing - several seconds of painful intermittent performance.

If it's simply a case of hitching or juddering that his eyes can sense when in motion, then it sounds more like he needs to address frame latency as the culprit.
And really, every one has frame latency that needs addressing, but they don't know what it is. Any time you see 'oh my game stutters' and then someone says 'it's probably micro stutter!' - you just know the conversation is going to devolve into myths, hearsay and ridiculous suggestions that won't solve the problem.

For that reason I will disagree that his memory usage is the sole root of his gaming concerns.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I pointed to the fix I mentioned because it makes sense given the op that his hdd could be being used as a sole page file.
I have messed with such things and I noted that the stuttering I saw was much less evident with a faster page file.

On longevity I could have mentioned that the same Ocz (alleged shit brand too)
Revo x2 did 5 years as a main Os drive , pagefile and also folded 24/7 for a lot of that 5 years so wear is off my radar on ssds as they are better now not worse.

Might not be his sole issue but I would expect it to help.
As for why when vsync is off well if his memory is over utilised turning vsync off will generate more fps hitting its frame buffer and more load on main memory wouldn't it.

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
Wait... isn't the answer to just turn on V-Sync? That's why it exists...

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
Wait... isn't the answer to just turn on V-Sync? That's why it exists...
Frame latency isn't perfectly consistent with v-sync on. That's the complaint.

I would agree with you, but if THAT amount of memory leak/issue was being observed, I would imagine the 'stutters' he experienced would be more akin to something you'd get with hard drive thrashing - several seconds of painful intermittent performance.

If it's simply a case of hitching or juddering that his eyes can sense when in motion, then it sounds more like he needs to address frame latency as the culprit.
And really, every one has frame latency that needs addressing, but they don't know what it is. Any time you see 'oh my game stutters' and then someone says 'it's probably micro stutter!' - you just know the conversation is going to devolve into myths, hearsay and ridiculous suggestions that won't solve the problem.

For that reason I will disagree that his memory usage is the sole root of his gaming concerns.
You know, the OP hasn't gotten back to out about the page file though. It's entirely possible that the page file already is on the SSD and that these little blips in frame latency is the SSD chugging away with the page swaps. As @theoneandonlymrk said earlier:
I have messed with such things and I noted that the stuttering I saw was much less evident with a faster page file.
So it's not unrealistic to assume that Windows may have been installed properly and that the swap file is indeed already on the SSD and that these blips are those swaps.

All I'm saying is the this behavior very well could be a result of memory. There is one fact here that is not in dispute where just about everything else is speculation:
Gosh , i should mention that sometime (very often actually) a my memory usage goes up to 94% after about one hour when playing some game or working on After Effects. Even when i turn off After Effects or game memory usage does not get back to normal. It stays to 94% until i restart PC. Sometimes i get terrible lag as well that force me to restart PC (This not happening very often)

How does that not scream a memory capacity issue if you don't mind me asking? It could be a background process causing issues or an application not actually closing. Either way, the OP did say this is a problem and without resolving it, I don't think we can say much about the state of the rest of the computer.

I might as well clarify myself too. Since everyone else is.

First, I agree in full with Wat, wait(wtf?), Aquinus, sorry.

Second, I have also experienced a similar issue as the OP that was resolved by using a faster paging file. In fact, I'm using it right now. Via my SATA 3.0 WD Black HDD, with 16GB of USB 3.0 ReadyBoost installed. In case you were wondering.

Processor Intel core i5 4690k
Motherboard Gigabyte z97x gaming 3
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 4GB
Storage 1 TB Barracuda / SSD Samsung Evo 120 GB (Windows 8.1 installed)
Case NZXT S340
Power Supply Corsair x600m
Nothing of this fixed my problem. And stop telling that this is because my monitor and this is the way it should be without vsync on , cause it WASNT like that before! If you want to help me futher tell me how to install windows 8 properly. Cause i did it once but did not fixed the problem.

System Name Some computer stuff
Processor Mostly Intel or AMD
Motherboard ATX or mATX
Cooling Bong Cooler
Memory DDR2-4
Video Card(s) A few
Storage Plenty Platters or SSDs or USBs
Display(s) Samsung 23"
Case 5 on the floor
Audio Device(s) There's one for my M7 Gene, Oh I have 3-4 PCI 5.1 ones.Sabrent! lol
Power Supply 750-1000W
Mouse cheap
Keyboard Used ps2 from garage sales
Software Yeah
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/schmuckley/#Hardware_Library http://valid.canardpc.com/rbjpbg
Win 8 might be the problem :)
Could be GPU drivers, too.
or lack of RAM.

Case NZXT S340
Same copy of windows 8.1 worked perfectly fine before. Ive tried different gpu drivers as well

Motherboard ATX or mATX
Cooling Bong Cooler
Memory DDR2-4
Video Card(s) A few
Display(s) Samsung 23"
Case 5 on the floor
Audio Device(s) There's one for my M7 Gene, Oh I have 3-4 PCI 5.1 ones.Sabrent! lol
Power Supply 750-1000W
Mouse cheap
Software Yeah
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/schmuckley/#Hardware_Library http://valid.canardpc.com/rbjpbg
Case NZXT S340
Nothing of this helped me. Ive noticed that i feel that non smoothness when i turn , then i notice that my fps goes from 90 to about 70. Still not the fps that should provide that akward choppy gameplay....

Motherboard ATX or mATX
Cooling Bong Cooler
Memory DDR2-4
Video Card(s) A few
Display(s) Samsung 23"
Case 5 on the floor
Power Supply 750-1000W
Mouse cheap
Software Yeah
70 fps is choppy?
Break yoself an buy a compatible RAM stick..that is my recommendation.

Case NZXT S340
70 fps is choppy?
Break yoself an buy a compatible RAM stick..that is my recommendation.

Dude i have 8gb of corsair , brand new. Last time ive checked 8 was plenty for gaming. And yes i get 70 fps, but it feels like it drop to 40, im a hardcore gamer sĂĄ i know whats smooth and what is not. Anyway thank you for trying to help me.

Dude i have 8gb of corsair , brand new. Last time ive checked 8 was plenty for gaming.
Are you serious? o_O

Check again.

IMO, 8GB is the minimum for a decent gaming experience these days. And the more the merrier.:)

Case NZXT S340
Are you serious? o_O

Check again.

IMO, 8GB is the minimum for a decent gaming experience these days. And the more the merrier.:)

That feeling when im on tech forum looking for an answer and it turns out that those who should provide it need it more than me.
Dude please tell me, which game use more than 6gb of ram?

Just one? Try Assetto Corsa. And I'm sure there's plenty more.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Nothing of this helped me. Ive noticed that i feel that non smoothness when i turn , then i notice that my fps goes from 90 to about 70. Still not the fps that should provide that akward choppy gameplay....
Dude i have 8gb of corsair , brand new. Last time ive checked 8 was plenty for gaming. And yes i get 70 fps, but it feels like it drop to 40, im a hardcore gamer sĂĄ i know whats smooth and what is not. Anyway thank you for trying to help me.
That feeling when im on tech forum looking for an answer and it turns out that those who should provide it need it more than me.

Then what the heck do you think this means?
Gosh , i should mention that sometime (very often actually) a my memory usage goes up to 94% after about one hour when playing some game or working on After Effects. Even when i turn off After Effects or game memory usage does not get back to normal. It stays to 94% until i restart PC. Sometimes i get terrible lag as well that force me to restart PC (This not happening very often)

That screams at me that you are running out of memory based on the information you gave us. I asked you to verify this and if you did to get more memory but, you seemed to ignore me... All I saw was a post says "I didn't see it," which is a fast way of saying you probably didn't look hard enough or didn't bother looking at all because what I said would show all memory usage. The simple fact is that I don't really care what you think is good enough. I'm telling you what I see and what I think is going on and I think you're running low on resources which is what a tech forum tends to give you.

Also, a game doesn't need to use 8GB alone to hammer your computer because other things like the OS and background services are in memory as well. I turn my computer on and it's instantly using 2.5GB of memory. All it takes is a browser or two and maybe something else and you're already chewing through half of your memory. Then you run a game that uses 5GB, then it has to swap 1GB out of physical memory (actually more to ensure some space is available after.) So now the game is running "in memory" but everything else is now running from a page file and every time something needs to happen in the background that requires that swap space, you get a performance hit.

I've explained why this is probably happening several times but, we can't help you if you're not willing to help yourself. :shadedshu:

Case NZXT S340
Im sorry , im overreacted a bit. But please understand me , its killing me that i spend so much money on pc and turns out that i cant even proper gaming.

I want to update you a little bit. I was messing with a lot of things and that choppy gameplay is a bit better. Any other fix you could suggest?

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
If i get the time later i will remove 8GB of ram see if the game plays worse for me.

Just make sure you don't have your pagefile on your HDD as that can course the issue too along with the game being installed on one.

Case NZXT S340
If i get the time later i will remove 8GB of ram see if the game plays worse for me.

Just make sure you don't have your pagefile on your HDD as that can course the issue too along with the game being installed on one.

Alright , i was installed windows 8.1 again without hdd plugged in. When install was done i plugged in HDD . Can you explain me exactly how do i check if i have pagefile on HDD?
Also to mention i have same results when i plug off hdd and play games.

Motherboard ATX or mATX
Cooling Bong Cooler
Memory DDR2-4
Video Card(s) A few
Display(s) Samsung 23"
Case 5 on the floor
Power Supply 750-1000W
Mouse cheap
Software Yeah

AC4 for one..

Alright , i was installed windows 8.1 again without hdd plugged in. When install was done i plugged in HDD . Can you explain me exactly how do i check if i have pagefile on HDD?
Also to mention i have same results when i plug off hdd and play games.
:nutkick:
You don't even know how to set your computer up for gaming.
To answer your question: Control Panel>System>Advanced>Performance>Settings>Advanced>Virtual Memory..
PS:I bet you have a 12-16 GB pagefile,and that is your problem right there.

Also:
http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-8-1-service-configurations/

Last edited:
Case NZXT S340
AC4 for one..

:nutkick:
You don't even know how to set your computer up for gaming.
To answer your question: Control Panel>System>Advanced>Performance>Settings>Advanced>Virtual Memory..
PS:I bet you have a 12-16 GB pagefile,and that is your problem right there.

Also:
http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-8-1-service-configurations/

AC4 worked fine on my 8gb ram , did not even used 5gb (always have msiafterburner when i gaming). Played almost on ultra settings smoothly. Dont ever dare to try it now.

Anyway , this is how my paging thing looks like , what do i need to change?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cfccr5i926vhv0c/Untitled.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/704z4ocfl2ii386/Untitled2.png?dl=0

Really , appriciate that you trying to help me , even if im a bit rude , but trying to fix this 3 days now....

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Modded minecraft.... Had 8GB and it would eat up all but .3 so I changed to 12GB

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
Just one? Try Assetto Corsa. And I'm sure there's plenty more.

I play Assetto Corsa with 8gb. I speak from experience, 8gb is fine for that game. My experience in that game is smooth as can be.