• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

predprey

I've tried this multiple times but must have missed the regedit entry. It works perfectly and now I don't have to have the stupid test mode watermark. Thanks!

Has anyone gotten this method working on any newer driver versions? (2.73 or 2.75)
there's a 2.75 version on the previous page

Methods M1 has .sys files and work with any driver even with R2.7x (7482) because the files (RTKVHD64.sys RTKVHD.sys) to replace with are still there
but Method A1 has .dll files and this files (RtkAPO64.dll RtkAPO.dll) aren't there any more. I don't know since when those files aren't there thought.

predprey

RtkAPO64.dll was renamed to RltkAPO64.dll in 2.75. They are in the same folder as the .sys files. If using 2.75, use these instead:

Windows Vista / 7 / 8 - 64 bit - R2.75 M1:
http://rghost.net/8g7fkgzgx

Windows Vista / 7 / 8 - 64 bit - R2.75 A1:

http://rghost.net/8LJCkFHyS

Thanks to 2bad for original modified drivers. Made using R2.75 original files.

As stated by mkanet, i could only get the alternative method working after adding the "DisableProtectedAudioDG" registry key. tested working just as fine as R2.73 M1. I second mkanet's opinion to use this instead of enabling test mode with the first method.

1. Just disable driver signature enforcement from advanced startup when installing
2. After installation, go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Audio". Add "DisableProtectedAudioDG" of DWORD (32bit value) type and set it to 1.
3. Restart normally.

To test if Dolby PL2 is working you can play music from WMP. Alternatively, if you're using chrome, launch with the "--try-supported-channel-layouts" parameter, and play some videos or music on the web.
DTS Neo: still can't seem to work, anyone who knows how to use it pls reply.

There are audio suites which include upmixing along with other enhancements too (i.e. Dolby Home Theater, DTS Ultra PC) as Schmuckley suggested, but audio purists might want to keep away from them. You can find them below. I'm not sure if they include DTS Connect and DDL but if they don't I would guess using one of the modified dlls here should enable them. Do note that the X-FI MB3 activator has been flagged been as a trojan by many antiviruses though.
Code:
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/community/threads/realtek-soundmax-modds-sb-x-fi-mb-1-2.209050/page-26#post-1498825
http://www.portugal-tech.pt/showthread.php?t=2153
http://www.portugal-tech.pt/showthread.php?t=1194

System Name Leviathan MK II
Processor i7 6700K
Motherboard Maximus VIII Hero
Cooling CM Nepton 240M
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory
Video Card(s) 980 Ti Strix OC
Display(s) BenQ XL2420Z and XL2420G
Case CM 690 III
Power Supply CM V1000
Mouse G502
Keyboard G910
Software Windows 10
RtkAPO64.dll was renamed to RltkAPO64.dll in 2.75. They are in the same folder as the .sys files. If using 2.75, use these instead:
I had noticed that different filename in the newer drivers; glad to see I was correct in guessing that was the same dll with a new filename.

Thanks for the updated drivers. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong; the 2.71 dll setup was working great after first setting it up following mkanet's instructions last night. I uninstalled then tried your updated 2.75 dll and started having the same problems others mentioned long ago with the A1 alternate method (test signal fail, no audio when DDL is selected). I then tried going back to the 2.71 drivers and then had the same problems...

I think it has to do with the registry edit somehow, it seems like after rebooting that the registry entry is disappearing.. I'll try it out some more tonight. Thanks again predprey.

Processor i7 6700K
Cooling CM Nepton 240M
Case CM 690 III
Power Supply CM V1000
Mouse G502
Keyboard G910
Software Windows 10
Windows Vista / 7 / 8 - 64 bit - R2.75 M1:
http://rghost.net/8g7fkgzgx

Windows Vista / 7 / 8 - 64 bit - R2.75 A1:

http://rghost.net/8LJCkFHyS

Thanks to 2bad for original modified drivers. Made using R2.75 original files.

As stated by mkanet, i could only get the alternative method working after adding the "DisableProtectedAudioDG" registry key. tested working just as fine as R2.73 M1. I second mkanet's opinion to use this instead of enabling test mode with the first method.

1. Just disable driver signature enforcement from advanced startup when installing
2. After installation, go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Audio". Add "DisableProtectedAudioDG" of DWORD (32bit value) type and set it to 1.
3. Restart normally.

To test if Dolby PL2 is working you can play music from WMP. Alternatively, if you're using chrome, launch with the "--try-supported-channel-layouts" parameter, and play some videos or music on the web.
DTS Neo: still can't seem to work, anyone who knows how to use it pls reply.

There are audio suites which include upmixing along with other enhancements too (i.e. Dolby Home Theater, DTS Ultra PC) as Schmuckley suggested, but audio purists might want to keep away from them. You can find them below. I'm not sure if they include DTS Connect and DDL but if they don't I would guess using one of the modified dlls here should enable them. Do note that the X-FI MB3 activator has been flagged been as a trojan by many antiviruses though.
Code:
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/community/threads/realtek-soundmax-modds-sb-x-fi-mb-1-2.209050/page-26#post-1498825
http://www.portugal-tech.pt/showthread.php?t=2153
http://www.portugal-tech.pt/showthread.php?t=1194

Amazing how actually following instructions can help so much. Worked perfectly. Well done predprey. Nice to have this working properly without having it in Test Mode.

illogik

Okay I apologize but I must be missing something obvious about the install here.:banghead: I can't seem to get this installed in win 8.1:
- Unzipped the R2.75 installer from Realtek
- Overwrote the .sys and .dll files in the Vista64 directory with the M1 and A1 files from predprey above
- Restarted in advanced mode and disabled signature enforcement
- Installed using setup.exe
- Before rebooting, added the DisableProtectedAudioDG reg key

When I boot back in windows, the drivers have been disabled again. The only way around this is to enable test mode (but I don't want to leave that enabled).

Thanks for pointing out anything I may be missing...

predprey

Okay I apologize but I must be missing something obvious about the install here.:banghead: I can't seem to get this installed in win 8.1:
- Overwrote the .sys and .dll files in the Vista64 directory with the M1 and A1 files from predprey above

When I boot back in windows, the drivers have been disabled again. The only way around this is to enable test mode (but I don't want to leave that enabled).

M1 is for method 1 requiring test mode. A1 is the alternative preferred method. Use only one.

Processor i7 6700K
Cooling CM Nepton 240M
Case CM 690 III
Power Supply CM V1000
Mouse G502
Keyboard G910
Software Windows 10

There are two methods of doing this, from how your description is sounds like you are trying both at once. The methods are:

M1. Installing the stock drivers, enabling test mode, using the dseob program on the modified SYS files and replacing the stock ones in C:\Windows\System32 and leaving test mode enabled

A1. Following mkanet's (post 471) and predprey's (post 473) instructions for replacing the dll files in the folders of the extracted stock 2.75 driver installation file (use 7zip to open the stock 2.75 exe file and extract all the files within it). This method does not require test mode to stay enabled.

predprey

Many thanks to the OP for enabling this feature. Why motherboard manufacturers do not simply provide it out of the box is beyond me!
(I remember owning an nforce2 motherboard to enable dolby back in the day).

I managed to unlock Dolby on an ALC-1150 chip. It works... sort of.
Getting the receiver (a Creative Inspire 5.1 5500 DOLBY DIGITAL only set) to pick up the signal proves to be finicky at best!

When setting the audio manager to Dolby Default format, no sound is produced over SPDIF.
When setting any Studio Quality option, the receiver WILL decode Dolby, but only if the original source is pre-encoded Dolby (AC3). DTS obviously does not work.

Is there a way to have Windows output every sound in DDL?
It's worth mentioning I'm using the 10041 Windows 10 Technical Preview.

Thanks for any assistance.

Setting DTS/DDL as the default format should have Windows outputting every sound as the format respectively. External digital output need to be set as default audio device in speaker properties too.

illogik

There are two methods of doing this, from how your description is sounds like you are trying both at once. The methods are:

M1. Installing the stock drivers, enabling test mode, using the dseob program on the modified SYS files and replacing the stock ones in C:\Windows\System32 and leaving test mode enabled

A1. Following mkanet's (post 471) and predprey's (post 473) instructions for replacing the dll files in the folders of the extracted stock 2.75 driver installation file (use 7zip to open the stock 2.75 exe file and extract all the files within it). This method does not require test mode to stay enabled.

Doh! Thanks for the clarification - worked like a charm!:toast:

Processor i7 6700K
Cooling CM Nepton 240M
Case CM 690 III
Power Supply CM V1000
Mouse G502
Keyboard G910
Software Windows 10
Looks like the A1 method doesn't work with the Win 8.1 Netflix app (which has Dolby Digital Plus, while browser watching is stereo).

It says, "There is a problem with this system's configuration that prevents Windows from playing protected video. Please make sure you have the latest Windows Updates as well as Windows 8 certified video and audio drivers installed."

Checked it on two systems I configured with A1; both doing the same thing. I'll probably go back to M1 method since that works with the Netflix App... other than having the watermark, there's no issue with leaving the computer in test mode.

predprey

Looks like the A1 method doesn't work with the Win 8.1 Netflix app (which has Dolby Digital Plus, while browser watching is stereo).

It says, "There is a problem with this system's configuration that prevents Windows from playing protected video. Please make sure you have the latest Windows Updates as well as Windows 8 certified video and audio drivers installed."

Checked it on two systems I configured with A1; both doing the same thing. I'll probably go back to M1 method since that works with the Netflix App... other than having the watermark, there's no issue with leaving the computer in test mode.

Sounds related to HDCP protection. If you have the time to spare, could you try and see if the problem exists with 2bad's 2.71 A1? If it fails with 2bad's dlls too, you can check if it's due to HDCP by going to your graphics card control panel. I'm using Nvidia, and there's a HDCP page in the control panel. If it's, you can try changing your video card drivers.

Processor i7 6700K
Cooling CM Nepton 240M
Case CM 690 III
Power Supply CM V1000
Mouse G502
Keyboard G910
Software Windows 10
Sounds related to HDCP protection. If you have the time to spare, could you try and see if the problem exists with 2bad's 2.71 A1? If it fails with 2bad's dlls too, you can check if it's due to HDCP by going to your graphics card control panel. I'm using Nvidia, and there's a HDCP page in the control panel. If it's, you can try changing your video card drivers.
The HTPC in the living room was running the 2.71-A1 drivers, that's where I first noticed it so I checked on my desktop running 2.75 and it had the same error. I didn't change anything with the video card, so not sure why the audio drivers would make any difference with HDCP enabled or not on the GPU, but I'll check it out tonight.

predprey

The HTPC in the living room was running the 2.71-A1 drivers, that's where I first noticed it so I checked on my desktop running 2.75 and it had the same error. I didn't change anything with the video card, so not sure why the audio drivers would make any difference with HDCP enabled or not on the GPU, but I'll check it out tonight.

It seems it has to do with the "DisableProtectedAudioDG" registry key. Having it on disables audio protection which in turns disables HDCP. There is the old method of replacing the dll everytime you want to change speaker settings which doesn't require this key, but I can't seem to get it working.

So the conclusion is if anyone requires playing protected audio, use M1 instead.

Andrewx64

If anyone can come up with adding Dolby and DTS selectable to the drivers GameSpirit drivers which already have the Dolby and DTS features and in default format have Dolby or DTS selectable then these drivers would work really good. Right now GameSpirit seems to plain without DOLBY and DTS digital modes. For digital audio.

Thulkash

I read the topic yesterday and I'm a lucky guy, Realtek updated drivers this night. Now, when I want to download 2.75 drivers, it downloads 2.76...

kingtink

ive had the unlocked drivers work before but recently i had to mess with my os settings all over the place and the drivers dont correctly for me. after install there are no playback devices.
im using the driver pack from this http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18626211
i use bcdedit -set testsigning on
and install with setup from the zippyfile download
no playback devices besides a razer enhanced one for virtual surround for headphones and this doesn't let any sound out for my headphones.
regular realtek drivers work as intended

anyone can help? and what info do you need

kingtink

fixed my problem by doing a fresh install of OS. 2.71A1 wasnt working with 2.76 but 2.75A1 worked. upon restart it said yadi yadi ya disable enhance audio driver and i picked no. test tone over optical produces sounds in all speakers but only does two test tones for left side sound and right side sound. am i suppose to adjust something more like my receiver dd mode or etc.?

Processor i7 6700K
Cooling CM Nepton 240M
Case CM 690 III
Power Supply CM V1000
Mouse G502
Keyboard G910
Software Windows 10
fixed my problem by doing a fresh install of OS. 2.71A1 wasnt working with 2.76 but 2.75A1 worked. upon restart it said yadi yadi ya disable enhance audio driver and i picked no. test tone over optical produces sounds in all speakers but only does two test tones for left side sound and right side sound. am i suppose to adjust something more like my receiver dd mode or etc.?

The audio test under Default Format on the Advanced tab will only play two tones. If you go to the Supported Formats tab you can then test Dolby Digital and DTS which will then do the multichannel test sending the test tone to each speaker separately.

d0m0kun

Hi,
I tried following your latest instructions for A1 (download R2.75, dl A1 R2.75, F8 & disable driver checking, overwrite dll with unlocked version, inserted DisableProtectedAudioDG=1 into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Audio) but I seem to have failed (I'm only seeing 2 channel options in the drop-down menu under Audio Devices>Realtek Digital Output>Properties>Advanced>Default Format, i.e. no 5.1 channel, as I did previously). I suspect that I'm responsible as I tried using the RltkAPO64.dll from predprey's recent "Realtek High Definition Audio - Unlocked Drivers - Windows 7 - R2.75 - A1" but in 32-bit version of R2.75, i.e. I renamed RltkAPO64.dll as RltkAPO.dll. So is there any way to resolve this? e.g. is there a 32-bit version of RltkAPO64.dll?

Raphus

I've tried every setups and versions of installation presented in this thread, but nothing is working, every time after successful installation, I'm choosing DTS Connect or DDL and then "Failed to play test tone". I've heard someone got this error too, but what should I do with it, I cant find solution. Can someone help me, please? I do really need 5.1 sound via SPDIF.

System Name hp OMEN X 900-000NX
Processor Intel Core i7-6700K
Motherboard hp Munich-S Z170
Cooling Asetek liquid cooling
Memory 32 GB DDR4-2133 Hynix
Video Card(s) hp GTX1080 Founders
Storage 256GB M2 Samsung (system)+ 1GB SSD WD BLUE edition GAMING(2x500 RAID 0 config)+2TB SATA (storage)
Display(s) LG TV 43 UJ670V active HDR
Case hp OMEN desktop X 900
Audio Device(s) ASUS XONAR DSX (Active) ,SBZ (inactive), onboard Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply hp 600W
Mouse Logitech G620
Keyboard SteelSeries hp OMEN
Software Windows10 64bit hp OMEN edition
Yes it works corectly R2.73 drivers from front page , non of other works entirely correct . teste evrything , evry posible combination and method just to.end up with R2.73 from original author , Amen.

d0m0kun

dvojinov: predprey and mkanet both recommend the alternative install method, A1. So is there an A1 unlocked driver set for R2.73? Because on the front page, I can only see R2.73 M1.
predprey: have you or anyone else made a 32-bit version of R2.75 for A1?

System Name hp OMEN X 900-000NX
Processor Intel Core i7-6700K
Motherboard hp Munich-S Z170
Cooling Asetek liquid cooling
Memory 32 GB DDR4-2133 Hynix
Video Card(s) hp GTX1080 Founders
Storage 256GB M2 Samsung (system)+ 1GB SSD WD BLUE edition GAMING(2x500 RAID 0 config)+2TB SATA (storage)
Display(s) LG TV 43 UJ670V active HDR
Case hp OMEN desktop X 900
Audio Device(s) ASUS XONAR DSX (Active) ,SBZ (inactive), onboard Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply hp 600W
Mouse Logitech G620
Keyboard SteelSeries hp OMEN
Software Windows10 64bit hp OMEN edition
I'm using the TEST enable method and its perfectly fine 64bit though

sewer56lol

Anyone had any luck running this on Windows 10 insider preview? (build 10074 here) There appears to be an additional form of audio protection which causes the notorious 'Failed to play test tone' error when using DTS/DDL.

Realtek control panel and Windows though will register the existence of DDL & DTS, the driver will function normally if used in any other modes.

This will apply to using both the M1 and A1 methods for installing the drivers, as well as the awesome registry workaround which disables PUMA as stated by mkanet, and applies to all of the versions of the modded driver that we have available such as 2.71, 2.73 and 2.75.

For the M1 method I have tried multiple things from test signing the driver to disabling DSE.

I have used both hotswapping files in the installer and hotswapping in system32 for methods of applying M1.

Thanks

----------
Some specs for comparison/information :

Motherboard : Z87-G45
Audio Driver : ALC 1150
OS : Win 10 IP (build 10074 / latest at time of writing).

Edit : For reference, both A1 and M1 work perfectly on Win 8(.1) x64.

Last edited: