• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i need help please i bought a gpu that wont work with my psu

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you intend to start a fire or burn out components sure. In no world would I recommend a 550w unit with a 5 series and cpu and a 4 series Nvidia card.

your power transitions alone will have that thing tripping in no time.

just get the better unit and be happy.
Yea i mean 650€ is still a lot of money for me and as far as i can tell lowering powerlimit on the card so it only sipps 200-220 watts is an option too. since the 4 series cards barely loose fps while doing so. Its jts for start i will get a bettr one down the line but i could use it this way for a few months. Since then i could sell my current psu to a friend who wants to build with me rtx3060/ryzen 5600 system where 550 watt should be plenty .:)

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard MSI MPG Z790I Edge WiFi Gaming
Cooling be quiet! Pure Loop 240mm
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Philips Evnia 49M2C8900
Case LANCOOL 205M MESH Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply ASUS ROG Loki SFX-L 1000W
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
It isnt plenty, and I wouldnt run that for a few min, let alone months. It looks like you are done looking for assistance though.

Never use cables that are not the ones that came with your specific PSU. The pin-out is not standardized. Also, what do you mean “it doesn’t work”?
i know that seasonic has a huge paper that says that with the psu you cant miss it. b8ut the cable inj quaetsion is from seasonic themselves. why it wouldnt work some say my psu has only 2x8 pins connector for gpus but i can see 4 as i posted 2 times above. i dont understand that. sure i could buy new psu and be happy but i also wanna understand the matter. or i would have nortt learned anything by it.

It would, if you had the cable. You not having one was the whole point, no?
because some say it wouldnt as i explained above this sentence :) no but such cable is like 15€. and some said straight out itsthis gpu wont work with youtr psu because it needs 3x8 pins and i have ony 2x8 pins. no one dexplained yet why.....and blind faith is stupid so i wanzed it explained to me. if that makes sense with my bad english,

Nobody said it wouldn’t? Provided you had the cable and were 100% sure it’s compatible with your exact PSU model. You would be dangerously on the very border of acceptable wattage, but it would work. Technically.

Again, I don’t understand the confusion here.
befor ei mader an account here i alrready googled and asked else where and everybody is aying differnet things.....thats what confuses me its hsould be 1 and all solution i mean its just a freaking gpu. and pus wuestion. some say it wouldn work.

if 20 people tell you 15 stories about the matter you get confused :) but with xour answer nopw it got much more clear THANK YOU:

It isnt plenty, and I wouldnt run that for a few min, let alone months. It looks like you are done looking for assistance though.
how do you know? the gpu need 250-260 watts on average. the Cpu sits at 50-60 watts in gaming. i have no rgb, i have 3 case fans. and as i said i can lower the powerlimit. did you test that or is it simply believing? or are you really saying it will not work at all even if i lower the powerlimit to lets say 80%? which should already help a lot with power spikes as i understand it from igors review. you answer simply is to absolute so i guess you had it tested and experinced otherwise it just hear say.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
i know that seasonic has a huge paper that says that with the psu you cant miss it. b8ut the cable inj quaetsion is from seasonic themselves. why it wouldnt work some say my psu has only 2x8 pins connector for gpus but i can see 4 as i posted 2 times above. i dont understand that. sure i could buy new psu and be happy but i also wanna understand the matter. or i would have nortt learned anything by it.
Even between the models from the same manufacturer the cables can and will differ. And usually the types of cable compatible won’t be clearly defined and labeled. Corsair is the exception here. There is no actual practical reason, that’s just how the industry does things. If you REALLY want to go down this route, which I would not advise, you SHOULD write directly to Seasonic with the EXACT model of your PSU, including model year, and inquire if the cable you are interested in is compatible and safe.

how do you know? the gpu need 250-260 watts on average. the Cpu sits at 50-60 watts in gaming. i have no rgb, i have 3 case fans. and as i said i can lower the powerlimit. did you test that or is it simply believing? or are you really saying it will not work at all even if i lower the powerlimit to lets say 80%? which should already help a lot with power spikes as i understand it from igors review. you answer simply is to absolute so i guess you had it tested and experinced otherwise it just hear say.
Well, while you are somewhat correct, the idea of buying a premium overbuilt and factory OCd 4070Ti that specifically is made to handle MORE power to improve performance and then choking it down to the point where it’s effectively a stock 4070 Super is counterproductive. At that point, you might have as well bought a 4070S, spent potentially less money and gotten a card that comes with a 2x8-pin adapter and just used that out of the box with no issue.

Processor Intel i5 8400
Motherboard Asus Prime H370M-Plus/CSM
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken & Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap
Memory 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ROG-STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING
Storage 1TB 980 Pro
Display(s) Samsung UN55KU6300F
Case Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Software W11 Pro
If there is one thing nobody screws around with it is PSU. Most people go way overboard when their actual needs are far less than say 1500w. What is being recommended here is a well tuned setup that sits within the optimal range of efficiency for a correctly sized PSU. This should leave plenty of headroom for benchmarks or inrush current.

Well tuned means correctly using all components as they were designed to be used. High quality slightly larger wattage PSU is called for when powering a GPU designed for high performance and OC. Which is not to be confused with some amount of undervolting for long term stability. Get the fundamentals right, PSU, and move forwards from there.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply SF750 Plat, transparent full custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS w/Noctua
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19053.3803
Benchmark Scores Legendary
Peak efficiency is 50% load. Get a 850/1000 W ATX 3.0/3.1

Processor 5800X3D -30 CO
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling DeepCool Assassin III
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V @ 3800 CL14
Video Card(s) ASRock MBA 7900XTX
Storage 1TB WD SN850X + 1TB ADATA SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell S2721QS 4K60
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced USB 3.0
Audio Device(s) Audiotrak Prodigy Cube Black (JRC MUSES 8820D) + CAL (recabled)
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750
Mouse Logitech Cordless Desktop Wave
Keyboard Logitech Cordless Desktop Wave
Software Windows 10 Pro
the cable inj quaetsion is from seasonic themselves. why it wouldnt work
That 12VHPWR cable is rated for 600 W power delivery, and is meant for 650+ W units. Don't think of using it with your GX-550. Check the Seasonic product page below, it explicitly lists compatible models:

Technically, you could plug in a third 8-pin PCIe cable into your PSU, and together with the two existing 8-pin cables use it to power the new GPU. But it would have to be a spare cable manufactured by Seasonic specifically for their Focus GX line. As far as I know they don't sell them as accessories, and they only come bundled with new PSUs.

Your best bet with the 4070Ti Suprim is a new 650+ W power supply. Either one with a native 16-pin 12VHPWR connector, or one with three 8-pin PCIe connectors.

Last edited:

Lei

Processor 3900x - Bykski waterblock
Motherboard MSI b450m mortar max BIOS Date 27 Apr 2023
Cooling αcool 560 rad - 2xPhanteks F140XP
Memory Micron 32gb 3200mhz ddr4
Video Card(s) Colorful 3090 ADOC active backplate cooling
Storage WD SN850 2tb ,HP EX950 1tb, WD UltraStar Helioseal 18tb+18tb
Display(s) 24“ HUION pro 4k 10bit
Case aluminium extrusions copper panels, 60 deliveries for every piece down to screws
Audio Device(s) sony stereo mic, logitech c930, Gulikit pro 2 + xbox Series S controller, moded bt headphone 1200mAh
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x
Mouse pen display, no mouse no click
Keyboard Microsoft aio media embedded touchpad (moded lithium battery 1000mAh)
Software Win 11 23h2 build 22631
Benchmark Scores cine23 20000
as is said my knowledge is very minimal besides gpu undervolitng and overclocking and cpu curve optimizer and enabling xmp im a moron, i saw it but i cant even tell you for what half these cables are only by looks alone without manual. i only asked because if i need more cables i would want to order all at once.
Never use any cables other than the ones included in the box shipped with PSU.

Well, while you are somewhat correct, the idea of buying a premium overbuilt
As i said its 649€ its at 885€ usually. Good 4070 super models are 700€+. So i would have been stupid to not take this one. but i thought that was clear in the first post. :)

But thanks for the help guys :) i know much more now. and its clear to me now.

f there is one thing nobody screws around with it is PSU
Yes but a Seasonic gx focus is a good psu. :) while its rated at 550 watt it can do much more just like most quality psus than that for safety measures.

But as i said i dont think a 250 watt card will do much with a ryzen 5800x3d. Both are very efficient parts. And undervolting is possible too, getting stock speed with 50 watt less is pretty easy on ada cards.

Peak efficiency is 50% load. Get a 850/1000 W ATX 3.0/3.1
How much less efficent is it at lets say 80%? also what does it matter? i pay 11 cent per kwh

850 watt psu? igor said thats enough for all 4090 cards if you dont use an high end intel cpu unlocked.

insane recomendation on your part imo.

That 12VHPWR cable is rated for 600 W power delivery, and is meant for 650+ W units. Don't think of using it with your GX-550. Check the Seasonic product page below, it explicitly lists compatible models:
i know already yes its not comapitble the only way is a new psu or a third pcie cable :)

PCIE Kabel für Seasonic, PSU 8 pin Stecker auf PCIe 8pin Stecker für Seasonic Modular Power Supply: Amazon.de: Computer & Zubehör

Never use any cables other than the ones included in the box shipped with PSU.
i know! seasonic made that very clear when u open the box.

4070 ti surpim what i paid
Screenshot (448).png

rtx 4070 super prices
Screenshot (450).png

4070 ti suprim ten minutes later, after it was sold out

Screenshot (449).png

Last edited:
Processor Intel i5 8400
Motherboard Asus Prime H370M-Plus/CSM
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken & Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap
Memory 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ROG-STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING
Storage 1TB 980 Pro
Display(s) Samsung UN55KU6300F
Case Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Software W11 Pro
insane recomendation on your part imo.
BUT now i realized that, the gpu needs: 1x 16-Pin PCIe 5.0 (via Adapter: 3x 8-Pin PCIe)

But i have a Seasonic GX Focus 550 Watt and i think i dont have 3x8 pins. So how can i get it to work do i need a new PSU?

It is the attention to detail and product knowledge that continues making this challenging.

Matters not one bit how new or perfect of a 550w PSU you have. It lacks in two highly important regards; Wattage, and because it doesn't provide enough of it to power 3 PCIe concurrently, the required cables to power your new GPU. Very cut and dry unavoidable facts.

Insane would be 1500w.

Acceptable - given your portrayed knowledge and experience level is basically every single suggestion thus far provided.

Yes but theoretical knowledge is well just theoretical. I see it often when these how do you call it in the us college? they are done with studying get good job but they dont know anything....they think they do but its just horsecrap. if i would do things like they think we would go broke withing a month.

Matters not one bit how new or perfect of a 550w PSU you have. It lacks in two highly important regards; Wattage, and because it doesn't provide enough of it to power 3 PCIe concurrently, the required cables to power your new GPU. Very cut and dry unavoidable facts.
Lets just try it i have everything here by wednesday i guess. Its that simple, if it doent work stock . I can simply undervolt then it will work 100% you know it , i know it the whole forum knows it.

i can buy the psu at any time later it doesnt matter, nothing can go broke. Anyone with a degree of anyzhing should know that about modern components in 2024. we dont have 2001 anymore where you could grill your parts.

i mean you can today too but only with insane bios changes and what not. Stock ? never. If a psu is not enogh it will simply trigger a protection circuit.

you act like this is a 3090 powerlimited to hell card. yet its only 260 watts at average. even a 3090 would work undervolted at least theroetical ;).

also the peaks are fare less worse than ampere.

i still dont understand why i should give a crap if a psu is working at best efficiency? its even on the box its not that much worse with 80% unless seasonic lies. which would cost them their ass here in europe.

:toast: i will tell you with data when its here okay? til then every discussion is worthless. i think this thinking is simply psu upselling. sure if you have an intel in it, that draws 130 watts while gaming then yes i would certainly agree but a ryzen 5800x3d is 35-80 watts depending on the game. and 100 watts with shaders compiling.

i looked it up 4070 ti can go down to 220 watts and not lose as single % of Performance. With 180-190 watts you lose a few % but here we are and you think this will not work? i would say if you undervolt it that much it will work on 400 watt psu like a regular 4070.

a 550 watt psu can withstand 600 watts spikes easily. at 650 it goes out. if we are talking about a quality psu of course the cheap china psus that halfway explode, if you look at them wrong is another story and are illegal anyways.

Acceptable - given your portrayed knowledge and experience level is basically every single suggestion thus far provided.
i dont have much knowledge but we are talking about hardware for videogames there is not much to learn in my optinion. i would rather learn perfect english. im struggling with grammatics, i think.

sorry for my terrible keyboard writing skill i have mechanical engineering hands.^^

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
I appreciate this man naming himself after the GPU he can't even use.

Getting a new PSU in 2024 with the intent to run "higher" end hardware I'd recommend just grabbing a quality 1000w PSU for future proofing. 750w will work fine for your current build, 1000w likely saves you money down the road.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Essential Mercury White
Keyboard Redragon Shiva Lunar White
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
nice spam please stay out if you are not helping or brinign anything to the table

285 watts gpu they recommend 1000 watt psus completey out of touch with reality. but the psu manufactures will be happy i guess.

Repeatedly you've been told you are wrong, yet you persist, at this point the one who's spamming and causing trouble is you, really.

By your own admission, you have absolutely no concept of how these things work, it's not a "maximum", or a "constant", or even a game of addition. You must account for transient loads, power excursion, conversion efficiency, capacitor aging, amongst other things. Wattage isn't everything. There's current capacity to account for. Rail capacity, if applicable. Many variables are involved. This is why it's been generally good advice to recommend a power supply that is of somewhat larger capacity than that of a system's realistic needs. This isn't some grand conspiracy to upsell you on something in behalf of a power supply manufacturer cartel, it's an absurd notion you even bring something like this up. For a high-end graphics card such as this, a single 12V rail power supply in the 850 to 1000 W range is an excellent pick.

I understand the (European) consumer culture of frugality. Really, I do, and that's why you're so vehemently opposed to spending any extra money when "things might just work as they are, so why spend?", but you don't need to make it a personal point to be a penny pincher of a caliber that will make Scrooge McDuck blush. Be reasonable! You just spent what, 900 euros plus tax on that graphics card? What's 100 euros more to protect your investment and make sure that your machine is operating properly for years to come with clean and stable power? I genuinely don't understand your logic here. If you don't know how to do this, look at YouTube! If you're too lazy to do it, pay someone to do it for you! Or just return your graphics card and buy an RTX 4060 that will work with your weak power supply. That's all.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
I don’t see why it would be. If what you are referring to is that the 12 VHPWR cable is dual 8-pin on the PSU side - refer to what I told you previously. What the GPU can demand on its side and what PSU can output on its side aren’t the same. 8-pin is usually 150-ish watts on the GPU side at maximum, true, but on the PSU side the connector can pull significantly more.
Obviously, this is academic, you wouldn’t run a card that could actually saturate a 12+4-pin fully off a 750 watt PSU anyway if such a card were to exist.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Shutting thread - OP has been given sound advice and is choosing to argue, or worse, troll.

Status
Not open for further replies.