• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Temp. sensor ?

maddogtwo000

Where is the best place to install a temperature sensor on a processor, My coupter case has a temp. gauge built in it. need to know where the best place to put the sensor on the CPU or on the Heat Sink and what to use to hold it in place.

streetfighter 2

Welcome to TPU!
Where is the best place to install a temperature sensor on a processor, My coupter case has a temp. gauge built in it. need to know where the best place to put the sensor on the CPU or on the Heat Sink and what to use to hold it in place.
That's a loaded question.

The tech documents I have from AMD actually recommend machining a tiny channel into the heatsink and then putting the probe in the channel.

Another option is to drill a tiny hole near the base of the heatsink and insert the thermal probe with some thermal paste.

The easiest, and least useful thing, is to attach the thermal probe with some thermal tape as close to the CPU core as possible.

Last edited:
System Name Everchanging
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair Dark Hero
Cooling Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer 2 420mm
Memory 2x16GB Corsair DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX 3090 Ti FTW3
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 256GB, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) 2xSamsung 28" 4k HDR 144Hz
Case Fractal Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) fiio K9 to Hifiman Sundara's via 4.4mm balanced cable
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX 850w
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 x64
you do know that there are various programs that will read the temperature of a CPU with out the need of a sensor?

maddogtwo000

Yes I know about the programs, just wanting to hook up sensor for a full time approximately temp. I know the sensor are not very true.

maddogtwo000

I dont think I want to machining a tiny channel into the heatsink. All it takes is a little air pocket to cause the cpu to over heat, not to mention if you mess up trying to machining a channel into it.