• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

WCG GPU Client Discussion Thread

BinaryMage

System Name Igne Mortis
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro LGA775
Memory 4GB OCZ Platinum DDR2 1066
Video Card(s) ASUS HD4850 TOP
Storage Seagate 500GB
Display(s) Dual 1280x1024
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply Antec NeoPower 550
Announced last September, WCG is planning to release a GPU application, initially for the Help Conquer Cancer project.

Quote from forums:

Hello WCGrid members,

The September 2011 update to the Help Conquer Cancer project has been posted. In this update, we announce work presented earlier this year at the High-Performance Computing Symposium in Montreal: the development of an OpenCL (GPU) implementation of HCC. This GPU version is currently running in our lab. We are pleased with its performance, and anticipate its eventual launch on the World Community Grid.

Please be patient in the meantime. It will take time. A large-scale launch on a new hardware platform is tricky business for the World Community Grid staff, especially while juggling every other active project and new projects emerging from the pipeline.

Thank you to everyone for your enthusiasm and interest in HCC, and your contribution of CPU cycles that make this and other projects possible.

Christian A. Cumbaa
Research Associate, Ontario Cancer Institute
University Health Network

Timing-wise (thank you KieX) a beta period is slated to start sometime in January 2012. (If you want to participate, you'll need to opt-in on the WCG website)

If this goes through as planned, our whole crunching strategy will likely change. GPUs are far, far more efficient than CPUs, FLOPS-wise. (Floating Point Operations per Second) For example, an overclocked i7 2600k, costing about $310, puts out about 14 GFLOPS. (reference) A videocard at the same price point, the HD 6970, puts out 2700 GFLOPS - 192 times what the i7 does. Now, GFLOPS do not directly translate into BOINC crunching power - but they are related. An i7 puts out maybe 5,000 PPD on an average BOINC project. The 6970 will do 250,000 PPD - a 50-fold increase. (source) Now, these GPU credit numbers are not from WCG, and the actual numbers from WCG GPU crunching will probably differ slightly. But nonetheless, crunching with a videocard instead of a CPU will likely be more efficient by many orders of magnitude. The official supported list of cards is here, but any AMD card supporting OpenCL or nVidia card supporting CUDA should work.

Now, many of you are probably frustrated right now. Your 2600k you just bought for crunching - you now think was maybe not the best investment. I like to think of it like this. We crunch to help people. Not to win contests. Not to accumulate points. Your i7 isn't going to do any less work. It's not going to help people any less. But hopefully using videocards in the future will allow us to help people more. If the GPU application is, say, 40 times more efficient than the CPU one (in tasks finished/day at a certain price point), then that means, if we switch to buying GPUs instead, the project can obtain hopefully useful data much, much faster than it could otherwise. More efficient ways to help people? Sounds good to me, and that's the bottom line.

Last edited:
System Name Ivy Biatch
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard ASSRockzz z77TOTHEEXTREME!!!!
Cooling bleh
Memory 2x4gb crucial 1866
Video Card(s) HD7770, yes it does BF3
Storage 120gb Vertex
Display(s) 226BW
Case whats that, oh my table
Audio Device(s) stock onboard thing
Power Supply HX850W
Software 7
this will be VERY interesting, may even make me invest in 2-3 more 5870s just for this, as they are dirt cheap now and will get cheaper :D

Bow

System Name SLOW-MO-SHUN III
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 7950X 4.5ghz 16 Core
Motherboard MSI MPG X670E Carbon wifi
Cooling Quench 360 Liquid Cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury Beast DDR 5-5200
Video Card(s) NVidia GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB GDDR6X
Storage 1TB Kingston NV2 M.2 SSD 2TB 2.5 SanDisk SSD Plus
Display(s) Asus 28" VP28UQG 4K 3840x2160
Case Athena M1, 6 Chassis Fans
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA Super Nova 1000W
Mouse Razer Deathadder
Keyboard Razer Ornata
Software Windows 10 Home 64-Bit
Sweet put my 6950's to work

System Name Bandit 2: Ryzen Boogaloo
Processor AMD R5 3600X
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Stock
Memory G.SKILL TridentZ 16GB @ 3200
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 5700XT
Storage Samsung 960 EVO m.2 500GB; Seagate FireCuda 2TB
Display(s) Viotek GN32Q
Case Fractal Design Define C
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750
Mouse Cougar Revenger S
Keyboard ROCCAT Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 10 Professional
This is awesome news! I wonder how points would scale in crossfire/SLI?

System Name Ivy Biatch
Processor i5 3570K
Cooling bleh
Storage 120gb Vertex
Display(s) 226BW
Power Supply HX850W
Software 7
im thinking it will be like folding, where sli/cf has to be disabled

System Name Slick
Processor Intel i5 2467M
Motherboard Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook
Memory 8GB Corsair Value
Storage Crucial M4 7mm 256GB
Display(s) 13"
Software Windows 8 Pro x64
Thanks for putting up the thread BinaryMage. Might wanna add the links from the Daily Numbers thread to your OP to keep it all in one place.

As far as information on start dates:
At this time we are not prepared to give you a date for the start of GPU for HCC but we can tell you this:

1. At this time, the plan is to start Beta testing before the end of January, 2012. This may change as conditions arise.

2. Because of the large variety of processors, we will probably have a longer than average Beta test.
Source

Looks like it's still some time away from full implementation for end users. Anyone willing to participate in the BETA, will need to remember to opt-in for it on the WCG website.

Now.. the scoring system.. that's going to be interesting. According to WCG the current points are based on a 1 GigaFLOP machine, running full time, producing 100 units of credit in 1 day (~14Boinc points)

That would certainly entail a massive PPD difference over anything a CPU can produce (GPU vs CPU GFlops). And I would not imagine they'll want to go the route of F@H and start differentiating points :shadedshu

A lot of informations still to come, but looks very promising. :D

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/flops.php

Processor AMD R5 3600X
Cooling Stock
Display(s) Viotek GN32Q
Mouse Cougar Revenger S
Besides the PPD output (speculation at this point) another great thing about using video cards is their universality. You don't have to worry about new sockets, it's just plug-and-play. I know our video cards aren't stressed that much anyway unless we're gaming, editing, etc., so this just makes using your machine that much easier.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero
Cooling EK FLT 240 DDC, x2 Black Ice Nemesis 360GTX, x1 EK-Quantum Surface P240, Phanteks D30-120 fans x9
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MT/s CL30
Video Card(s) ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme AIRO
Storage Samsung Pro 980 2TB NVMe (OS and Games) // WD Black 10TB HDD (Storage)
Display(s) Samsung 49" Ultrawide Gaming Monitor
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply ASUS Rog Thor 1200 Certified 1200W
Software Windows 11 64 Bit Home Edition
F22 has a very good point. A lot easier to stack up points with the GPU's than it is with CPU's. :D

Cooling EK FLT 240 DDC, x2 Black Ice Nemesis 360GTX, x1 EK-Quantum Surface P240, Phanteks D30-120 fans x9
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MT/s CL30
Case Phanteks NV7
Your also going to have a hell of alot more heat and a higher power bill. Both of those were the reasons why I stopped using gpu's with F@H.

That is very true. But I already fold as it is so for me it's not much of a big deal. Plus I have a fixed rate monthly. So unless it's a huge jump I don't think they'll tell me anything. Just bad for those who will get the big hit.

System Name Slick
Processor Intel i5 2467M
Memory 8GB Corsair Value
Display(s) 13"
F22 has a very good point. A lot easier to stack up points with the GPU's than it is with CPU's. :D

If the points are calculated the same way for GPU then yes.

At the moment it's only a small part of one project which will have support. Might be a lottery for the first Work Units. I'm feeling lukcy :pimp:

Processor AMD R5 3600X
Cooling Stock
Display(s) Viotek GN32Q
Mouse Cougar Revenger S
Your also going to have a hell of alot more heat and a higher power bill. Both of those were the reasons why I stopped using gpu's with F@H.

Great point, I don't know why I even thought of that! But for those like CP with a fixed electricity bill, it is a great advantage.

System Name Slick
Processor Intel i5 2467M
Memory 8GB Corsair Value
Display(s) 13"

Although that's also partly due to the bigadv bonus system, right? ;) In F@H until recently an i7 could outdo a couple of GPUs.

I don't think WCG being IBM sponsored want to go down that route of varying bonuses, so it may be that GPU's really are better than CPU for this type of project.

From my GPU folding days I can certainly vouch for 500W+ for dual GPU setups being way less efficient than a good CPU. All speculation until there's any confirmation, of course. But here's to hoping :rolleyes:

BinaryMage

System Name Igne Mortis
Storage Seagate 500GB

True indeed. There are differences, though. First, BOINC assigns credit roughly based on how much data you crunched, while F@H does not necessarily. GPUs are far more efficient in FLOPS/watt than CPUs, so BOINC crunching with GPUs is more efficient in work/watt and credit/watt, while F@H crunching with GPUs is more efficient in work/watt but not credit/watt. In addition, F@H's GPU system is mainly build for CUDA, and doesn't use the more powerful AMD GPUs (speaking in compute power) as effectively as it could.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X12 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei RAW
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
The reason I switched from F@H to BOINC is because BOINC didn't use GPUs. The reason is simple: CPUs are more accurate. An incorrect value often gets caught immediately in a CPU where a GPU requires testing on a separate machine in order to verify it's correctness and still not with 100% certainty.

We're doing science here: slow, correct results are more desirable than fast, incorrect results.

If TPU starts adding GPU work to its project list, I'll have to stop running BOINC for TPU. I refuse to compromise science for an arbitrary, altogether meaningless number.

BinaryMage

System Name Igne Mortis
Storage Seagate 500GB
The reason I switched from F@H to BOINC is because BOINC didn't use GPUs. The reason is simple: CPUs are more accurate. An incorrect value often gets caught immediately in a CPU where a GPU requires testing on a separate machine in order to verify it's correctness and still not with 100% certainty.

We're doing science here: slow, correct results are more desirable than fast, incorrect results.

If TPU starts adding GPU work to its project list, I'll have to stop running BOINC for TPU. I refuse to compromise science for an arbitrary, altogether meaningless number.

Really? Where did you hear that? I did some quick Google-fu and came up with nothing...

And anyway, BOINC tasks for both GPUs and CPUs are double or triple-checked, with multiple computers performing the same tasks. I doubt BOINC would use GPUs if they didn't produce valid data.

System Name Ultimate Vortex III
Processor Intel Core i7-9700K
Motherboard Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI GENE
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8Gb) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16
Video Card(s) Asus RX5700-8G Radeon RX 5700
Storage 2 x WD Blue SN550 1Tb NVMe in RAID 0 Striped Set
Display(s) TUF Gaming VG279QL1A 165 Hz
Case Cooler Master MasterBox Pro 5 ARGB
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Coolermaster Silent Pro 850W
Mouse Corsair RGB
Keyboard K70 Rapidfire with Cherry MX Speed
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Well electricity is no concern for me as it is included in my rent and it's why I have a 10,000BTU air conditioner in my room dedicated to cooling my rig.....almost like a server room :D

More good news, I plan on buying a second HD6870 in 2 weeks :D (Or maybe I should buy the bulldozer, hmmmm decisions decisions.....:confused:)

T

twilyth

Hell, I'll load up on 6970's or 7xxx's if each one can do more work than an overclocked 2600k.

System Name Slick
Processor Intel i5 2467M
Memory 8GB Corsair Value
Display(s) 13"

Might want to take a look at the PDF with their initial findings: http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~juris/WCG/UPDATE-SEP2011.pdf

It includes a section on their findings with regards to accuracy. Like you said, GPU is always going to trade off some accuracy but it seems that the researchers find this to be a tolerable margin in order to run simultaneously with CPU WU.

Case Phanteks NV7
I won't argue FORD on the accuracy/GPU subject because he does have a valid point, but keep in mind that the higher than meaningless # is, the more research that is getting done.

Now is this just a personal thing that would not like to Crunch for a team that uses GPU's as well, or you refuse to crunch with GPU's? I mean, no one here can obviously hold you back, but as a consistant and dedicated cruncher you are, I'm sure no one here would like to see you go. I know I sure as heck wouldn't. Not only that, but you've been of great help to the community in other things not just the research.

System Name Ultimate Vortex III
Processor Intel Core i7-9700K
Motherboard Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI GENE
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8Gb) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16
Video Card(s) Asus RX5700-8G Radeon RX 5700
Storage 2 x WD Blue SN550 1Tb NVMe in RAID 0 Striped Set
Display(s) TUF Gaming VG279QL1A 165 Hz
Case Cooler Master MasterBox Pro 5 ARGB
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Coolermaster Silent Pro 850W
Mouse Corsair RGB
Keyboard K70 Rapidfire with Cherry MX Speed
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Hmmmmm, Maybe a bulldozer then.....:rolleyes:

System Name Ivy Biatch
Processor i5 3570K
Cooling bleh
Storage 120gb Vertex
Display(s) 226BW
Power Supply HX850W
Software 7
Hell, I'll load up on 6970's or 7xxx's if each one can do more work than an overclocked 2600k.

i hope that this gpu project wont have nvidia favored like it is in f@h

i hope for some equal competition in this, just for once

Bow

System Name SLOW-MO-SHUN III
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 7950X 4.5ghz 16 Core
Motherboard MSI MPG X670E Carbon wifi
Cooling Quench 360 Liquid Cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury Beast DDR 5-5200
Video Card(s) NVidia GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB GDDR6X
Storage 1TB Kingston NV2 M.2 SSD 2TB 2.5 SanDisk SSD Plus
Display(s) Asus 28" VP28UQG 4K 3840x2160
Case Athena M1, 6 Chassis Fans
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA Super Nova 1000W
Mouse Razer Deathadder
Keyboard Razer Ornata
Software Windows 10 Home 64-Bit
Case Phanteks NV7

BinaryMage

System Name Igne Mortis
Storage Seagate 500GB
i hope that this gpu project wont have nvidia favored like it is in f@h

i hope for some equal competition in this, just for once

The opposite will likely be true. AMD cards, by raw compute power, are way more powerful than comparatively priced nVidia ones, usually by about a factor of two. (For example, the HD 6990 has roughly 5 TFLOPs versus the GTX 590's 2.5) Folding@home, which was initially designed for CUDA (nVidia), hasn't ever really used AMD cards very efficiently. BOINC, however, does. Assuming this follows similiar trends as the other BOINC projects, you will get roughly double the crunching ability and thus credit from an AMD GPU versus a similarly priced nVidia one. Hope that cheers you up!