1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

1080P vs 720P - is it worth it?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Jeffredo, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys. Now I know this isn't an AV forum, but you guys seem fairly knowledgeable so I thought I'd bounce this off you. :) I recently got a 37" HDTV. My first - so I've been reading up a bit on the subject.

From what I understand there will be very little if any 1080P broadcast material due to bandwidth constraints. Almost all my HD channels broadcast in 720P with an occasional 1080i program. I know my 1080P set upconverts to its native resolution, but this makes a lot of 480P/I material look like crap - very fuzzy. One article I read said that 1080P is of questionable value for television broadcasts as a result. The author implied that a 720P set might have an advantage since it didn't have to upconvert so many programs - and doesn't have to fill in as much on as a 1080P set on old 480 I/P shows when upconverting to the native resolution.

Does this sound right or is he full of it? I know the 1080P would be superior for Blu-Ray discs, but I have a great Pioneer upconverting DVD player, so I don't play on getting a Blu-Ray player for at least a year or so. Kind of feels like paying a little more for the 1080P set wasn't worth it (over the 720P ones). I am using HDMI as well.
  2. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Upscale quality depends on the hardware. My old 720p set looked worse on 480 content than my current 1080p one does.

And you should just grab a BD player. It is faaarrrrrrrr better than DVD's upconverted. It will make your purchase worth it.
    Jeffredo says thanks.
  3. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Remember 720p stretched over 37 inches will look as bad as 1080p stretched over the same space.

1080p will look bad if you sit up close though.

I mean screen resolutions by the by rather then broadcasts.
    Jeffredo says thanks.
  4. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    I think the difference between the 1080p and 720 is just the resolution...? I dont know much about tv's
  5. department76

department76 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes. 1920x1080 vs. 1280x720

i agree with Wile E, the upconverting depends hugely on the quality of hardware in the specific tv.
  6. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    i have a 50" 720P plasma and it looks gorgeous
  7. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    God I've just realised how bad my last post is at making sense ha ha.

If anyone doesn't understand what I mean I'll try and rephrase it!

Also I have a 720p 32 inch.

Looks great when I plug my pc into it, I can even run it at 1080 ( no idea how) when the PC is plugged in.
  8. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah as Wile E said the up-scaling and de-interlacing qualities of TVs can vary greatly, even some of the best do poorly in this category. It's something you'll just have to do research on if you plan on viewing a lot of non-HD content, which it seems you do. As always, whether jumping to 1080p is worth it is a matter of personal opinion greatly hinging on use. For me, unequivocally yes, 1080p is most definitely worth it. Then again, I wouldn't even consider buying an HDTV, 1080p or otherwise, if I wasn't planning on getting a blue-ray. Also, there are other things that are really more important than resolution, such as color and contrast. Up-conversion is nice, but there is nothing that compares to a high quality television playing a high quality blue-ray in 1080p. If you don't see blue-ray or PC games in your future, I wouldn't wager you'd be well fitted for a 1080, and could save a few bucks for the same experience on a high quality 720p that does good video processing.
    Jeffredo says thanks.
  9. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    If your PC is saying the resolution is 1920x1080, than the TV was falsely advertised, and is 1080P.
  10. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Nope. Most 720p TVs will accept a 1080i signal, and downscale it. It provides no benefit tho, so it's best to just set it for 720p.
    department76 says thanks.
  11. CrackerJack

CrackerJack

Thanks Received:
    yeah the resolution just depends on the size. playing 720p on a 40"+ is really fuzzy. this best 720p range i've seen is between 27" and 37". 1080i looks good on anything, same with 1080p. all my channels are 720p with a few are in 1080i. and since my tv is only scaled to do 720p it looks like crap of coarse at 1080i
  12. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It makes the available work space greater mind you.

Good for drawing.
  13. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    I suppose I shouldn't worry so much about it. Its a Vizio (North American brand) and is rated pretty well by Consumer Reports, if that means anything. When the program is in full HD it looks gorgeous (football games, late night talk shows, some nature programs). Seems decent - got a good price on it.

http://www.vizio.com/flat-panel-hdtvs/vo37lfhdtv20a.html

I did pick up a cheapish ($180) Samsung Blu-Ray player, but took it back. It didn't look appreciably better than my Pioneer DV-420V DVD player (playing Blu-Ray or DVD). And the Pioneer has much better audio. I do plan on a Blu-Ray, but I have so many DVDs, plus there are still many more DVDs for rent from Netflix or Blockbuster vs. Blu-Ray. Plus I get the feeling that streaming content from the internet might just make discs of any kind redundant in another couple of years.
  14. CrackerJack

CrackerJack

Thanks Received:
    If your wanted to get the best picture, then yes get the 1080p tv and blu-ray dvd player and don't look back. you'll love it!!! the upconvertor is just a little taste of the true hd. you should see a big difference.
  15. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    If you didn't see the difference between an upscaled DVD and a BD, you are either too far away, your BD was set up improperly, or you have bad vision.

As far as the sound, there should've been no difference. That means one of the players colored the sound somehow. Hard to say which without hearing it myself.

Could've just been a defective BD player as well.
  16. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    If i was you i would not bother but this one is a good one well has been for me
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TA1DOC/?tag=tec06d-20

Thing is with blu ray is the quality of the content. Ive seen some look real bad and some that would just make you sit there and gaze.

So you can get bad quality Blu ray disks too. So seen one or 2 movie's will not tell you the best quality as it depends on how the original film was made or age of it.
  17. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    Bad choice of words on my part. I should have said the difference wasn't great enough to warrant the expense of a new player and the cost of BD discs. The BD discs did look a little better, but on a 37" set from about eight to ten feet away its just not that big of a deal to me personally. I can understand why the audio circuitry in one player could be better than another (and I listen on a good set of headphones - TV has a jack).

I did have the various hardware set up right. Kind of hard to screw up plugging in an HDMI cable. ;) I did experiment with the various settings on both the player and the TV as well (and read the manuals cover to cover).
  18. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    i know but your avvy is awsome whats it from...?
  19. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:

i have a 24" 1080P and a 40" 768P (close enough to 720P)

for gaming, the 1080P is clearly superior. finer detail, less jaggies (even with massive AA), more UI/HUD room in RTS games.

as for movies, TV shows and such: the 40" wins hands down. resolution doesnt matter so much with this kind of media, the big screen helps far more than resolution will.

if you want to game on the screen as well as movies, go 1080P - if its purely for media use, get a cheaper 720p/768p screen
  20. audiotranceable

audiotranceable New Member

Thanks Received:
    How can you stand LCDs with slow response time. I've used a crt all life so having a mouse with 0.9ms response time rocks, after plugging my pc into my parents 1080p 42" LCD the mouse was obvious slower because of the response time of the lcd.

It sucked but I guess people that have used a LCD all their lives are used to the slower timing between the mouse to the Screen.
  21. Reefer86

Reefer86

Thanks Received:
    1080p being the 'best' remember that doesnt mean its TRUE HD. check the resolution of the TV and the contrast ratio. these two things are the most important factors.

1080p is known as full hd, but HD is only a resolution. so if you dont have the right resolution you wont be able to get FULL HD

Is like changing the size of the resolution on your monitor. I assume you understand how resolution works. think of it as pixels per square inch. more pixels normally means better picture, but contrast ratio refers to your colours in the picture. the best bet is to allways see the TV working and check colour, picture quality, and brightness.
  22. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    So is audio going thru HDMI as well? If so, the sound should be the same, and one of those players are improperly coloring it. Nothing you can do about that, and I didn't intend to imply such. If it's an analog connection, then yeah, every player is different.

As far as cost, I can see not wanting to replace what you have on DVD. I haven't even really done that, but for a handful of my absolute favorite movies. But all new purchases are BD for me.

When I had a 720p set, the difference wasn't that major, but now that I have a good 1080p set, the difference is night and day. I use the ps3 as my disc player, and it's upscaling on DVDs is excellent, so it's not the quality of the player either. Perhaps that Samsung isn't that good of a BD player?

At any rate, I've tried a bunch of stand alones, and I still find the ps3 to be the best bd player. So, if you ever get to the point where you can spare $300, I don't hesitate to suggest one. It makes a great media player for playing stuff from your computer as well, not to mention the obvious gaming capabilities.

1080p IS the resolution. Do you mean to use a different word?
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  23. Reefer86

Reefer86

Thanks Received:
    well yeah thats what i ment and if you read on it explains that, maybe that didnt come across very well. Im simply saying that just because a TV says is 1080p doesnt mean is has a resolution of ......x 1080 to give FULL HD
  24. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Get a good LCD, and you don't really get that. It's not as fast as a CRT, no, but not noticeably slow to the human eye either. Besides, when watching movies, picture quality is way more important, as movies have motion blurring anyway. No cheap CRT compares to a good LCD in picture quality. Expensive CRTs surpass LCD, but not the ones the average household contains.

If you have your 5 year old eMachines 15" CRT that came with your WalMart bought computer, then no, your CRT is not better than current gen LCDs, with response time being the only exception. I'll gladly sacrifice a few milliseconds of response for a better picture.

I think I get you. You mean those TVs that advertise that they can accept 1080 input, but it isn't they're native resolution. They just downscale it to 720p (or 768p, as the case may be).
  25. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i started on a 14" CRT.
    your parents LCD must be an old one.