1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

29" Dell UltraSharp U2913WM - Buy or Not?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by twicksisted, Jan 1, 2013.

1. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    awesome, yes thats the type of thing I was looking for... funny i googled for reviews but never found that one... thanks :)
  2. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    Alright, the monitor arrived earlier today and I hooked it up but have requested an RMA.
    Its a fantastic bit of kit... really good build quality, and excellent picture, comes with a lot of accessories and impressed by it.

I am sending it back though for a refund as I dont feel that its worth £477.99 to me. I knew that it was going to be much wider than my old 24" screen but diddnt think that it would be that much smaller vertically... Its physically about 3" lower than my old screen and just looks too strange as I'm used to having a large format chunk of lcd infront of me.

Im likely to go for a cheap £160-£200 27" 1080p screen instead of this as really all I want is something bigger than my 24" and that should do the trick.

All in all if you need an IPS, high quality wide aspect screen then this is very nice indeed, but for me, it diddnt quite hit the spot.
  3. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Yes, the wider the aspect ratio of a monitor, the less it actually shows you - just maximise a pdf file on monitors of different aspect ratios for a good demo of this. This is independent of screen resolution too, which often confuses people. One can see the most with a 1:1 ratio (square) monitor, which of course isn't made.

Still, a wide format monitor like this can be very good if you're a movie buff or hell, just want a superwide one for the hell of it like I do, lol.

Why don't you go for the Asus VG278HE I was telling you about? It's around £370, 27 inches in size with 1080p resolution which makes it very easy on the eyes and eliminates motion blur in your games as I described. It looks good, has great ergonomics and a lovely picture. Bear in mind that it is a TN panel though, but despite this viewing angles are still quite reasonable and you don't notice much colour shift and colours look good.

Anyway, that's enough from me blabbing on. :laugh:
  4. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  5. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I have to wait for the RMA and refund, then ill be back in the buyers market again ;)
    Both of those look like good choices.... I guess im back to square one!

(Oh and my current 24" samsung is getting worse by the day... like the pixels are dying... just have an ever increasing blacked out line that grows vertically up the side of the screen!... was such a nice screen too!)
  6. qubit

Thanks Received:
    That sounds very unfortunate and must be really annoying to look at. Any chance a friend can lend you a monitor in the meantime until you get a replacement?
  7. Ralfies

Ralfies

Thanks Received:
    In my opinion, 27" is a little too big for 1080p. I had the 27" Acer you linked earlier in the thread. The picture was great, but if you sit close to the screen like I do, you can notice individual pixels. If you're not sensitive to that sort of thing, then the Acer is great bang for the buck. I now have a Catleap 2560x1440 monitor that I got for $300usd and couldn't be happier with it. Your 580 might struggle a tiny bit at the higher resolution, heck my 670 does, so you'll have to turn down AA. 2xMSAA at 2560x1440 has a little more aliasing than 4xMSAA at 1080p, but the image is much sharper. I'm sure you'll upgrade your GPU before you upgrade your monitor again, so I think you're better of going with a higher resolution.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  8. gottistar

gottistar New Member

Thanks Received:
    twicksisted says thanks.
  9. qubit

Thanks Received:
  10. gottistar

gottistar New Member

Thanks Received:
    no it doesnt :)
  11. qubit

Thanks Received:
    That's great. All the Samsungs I've seen over the years have this stupid, annoying flashing standby light. I'm glad they're moving away from this.