1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2GB out of 6GB available?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by RandelA, Mar 28, 2013.

1. RandelA

RandelA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello guys I have a problem.

[​IMG]

as you can see, it says I have 6GB installed, but windows is only using 2GB and the 4GB goes to hardware. Which is what I do not get.. I need those 6GB because I will be running 3D applications such as Maya, and I will be working with Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects.
    could someone explain?

Specs:
    Win 8 Pro x64
    3x2GB 1336Mhz DDR3 (kingston)
    i5 760
    My mobo has a dual channel, so there are 4 slots but I only used 3. The 1 slot I didn't use is nearest to the CPU.
  2. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    1. Check BIOS setting for onboard graphics, set to lowest amount of memory use.
    2. In msconfig, boot tab, advanced options, uncheck or configure maximum memory box.
    3. Check your DIMM configuration, your modules may be incompatible or misconfigured (try in different slots or just 2 modules). Also make sure they are seated all the way - I've sometimes had to reseat modules 2 or 3 times to get them all working.
    4. If your modules are suspect, memory is dirt cheap these days, get a dual channel kit, 2 x 4 GB for $45 Kingston HyperX Blu Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-P...
    MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  3. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    does your pc detect all 3 sticks?
  4. jihadjoe

jihadjoe

Thanks Received:
    ^ from the screenshot it does. It clearly says "3 of 4" slots, but like he said there is the little matter of "4GB reserved".
    Is there an option in the BIOS to re-allocate memory above 4GB?

I blame general Windows 8 suckiness.
  5. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    looks like your sticks are incompatible. also yours is a dual channel config. why use 3 sticks?
  6. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Except its just as commmon with windows 7.
  7. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Yes, that's my question too. Why are you using a triple channel designed kit for systems on X58 for example and not dual channel, you are significantly hampering memory bandwidth with your current setup.

It also doesn't look like your running a integrated GPU, so there's no memory being allocated to the IGP. Is this a clean windows 8 install?
  8. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    try and test with each memory stick. like put one stick at a time.
  9. Morrison5891

Morrison5891 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you remove the memory and re-set it? Test your memory ...
  10. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Test each stick by themselves. Sounds like a bad contact between the CPU and the socket or the DIMM slot or a DIMM is being over-worked. Make sure that if you're running different DIMMs that you're running the slowest memory and the loosest timings out of all the DIMMs.
  11. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I'd try pulling the extra stick out and see about running in Dual-channel.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  12. RandelA

RandelA New Member

Thanks Received:
    I searched my BIOS for onboard graphics.. but I could not find it? I have cell menu, but that's for the CPU I guess. (I have P55 Chipset)

because back when I started building this machine, I had little knowledge about N-channel configurations. I only knew that "hey, 6GB is more than 4GB, let's go with that one!" :laugh:

and then after realizing that I had the wrong config, I might buy another stick. But I am also thinking of upgrading to higher memory clocks? Would it make a difference? My target is atleast 8GB and 1600MHz

Yes it's a clean install. Then I installed my graphics card drivers. But the memory allocation is still the same.

I'll do it

EDIT----

I tried relocating the memory sticks.. I now have 4.9GB available, and 1.1GB for hardware.. seems I am making progress.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  13. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
  14. RandelA

RandelA New Member

Thanks Received:
    HEy guys.. I tried everything but I'm now stuck on 4.9GB available, and 1.1GB for hardware.
    Also, if I may add, I have my system overclocked to 3.5GHz with Vortex + (which is doing a fairly good job) could that be one of the causes?
    or could the cause be that I have only 3 sticks on a dual channel?

yeah,, I'll try reinstalling my inf drivers :)
  15. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    That's still a little odd but less odd than it used to be. I would ditch the overclock while your trying to get your memory working right. Start overclocking once you're certain your machine is stable and good to go.

3 sticks can run in dual-channel mode, it has something to do with at least both channels being populated. It won't give more performance since its running asynchronous dual-channel mode but that shouldn't impact stability.
  16. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    i think the recommended dual channe lconfig doesnt allow 3 sticks.

he can have 6gb but only with 2x2gand 2x1GB
  17. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    That's synchronous dual-channel. You can run different sized dims or none on the second DIMM slot to run dual-channel. You only get the performance benefits if you put them in pairs where each channel has the same amount of memory. When it differs then you start running asynchronous dual-channel that lets you use the memory but it doesn't prevent you from using the memory in the first place.

Keep in mind that dual-channel only means that you're using both channels. It doesn't imply that they're working together, even though in most cases they are.
  18. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Not exactly. Dual-Channel specifically means that two separate channels have been combined to work together. That is what the term signifies. Single-Channel means each channel is working and accessed independently.

Synchronous Dual-Channel is when both channels have matching memory, this give the best performance obviously. Asynchronous means both channels have different amounts of memory. The parts that match will give the performance of Dual-Channel, while the part that doesn't match will only give the performance of a single channel. Every platform handles this situation differently. Older platforms simply drop everything down to single-channel operation when both channels don't match. Newer platforms go into asynchronous dual-channel which is slower than synchronous but much faster than single-channel, some platforms I believe are even smart enough to use the dual-channel part of the memory system first before starting to use the single-channel.
  19. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    At this point you may need to break down and get a 2x4GB Kit or 2x8GB kit to rule out that odd 3 stick issue.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. KapiteinKoek007

Thanks Received:
    Your board is dual channel, and you say you don't use the slot nearest to the cpu.
    try to install the first 2 sticks in dim 1 and 3 or dimm a1 & a2 dimm, 1 beeing the closest to the cpu, and the last one in Dimm 3 for single channel use. if that does not work reset your bios to default and then boot.
  21. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Then explain why you can populate a machine with 3 DIMMs and CPU-Z reports dual-channel? Two channels in operation but not in tandem is not single channel mode, that's asynchronous dual-channel, which uses the second channel to really just expand the memory space, rather than ganging the two channels together. Dual-channel means two channels, but does not imply two ganged channels.
  22. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    I already explained that in the second half of my post. The platform is still able to combine the two channels and access them at the same time for the part of the memory space that is matched, asynchronous dual-channel is a hybrid type setup.

If you take an older platform that doesn't support asynchronous dual-channel, like a Socket 478 system for example and some 775 systems, and put in unmatched memory in the two channels CPU-Z will report single-channel.

Edit:

Both channels in use with 4 sticks arranged so each channel matches results in dual-channel operation:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/newtekie1/dualchannel.png:original

Both channels still in use, but this time with 3 sticks arranged so each channel doesn't match results in single-channel operation because this platform doesn't support asynchronous dual-channel:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/newtekie1/singlechannel.png:original
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
    digibucc says thanks.
  23. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Looks like having a lopsided memory configuration is causing this. Beg, borrow, steal or even buy, 8GB of RAM and I bet the problem goes away.
  24. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Check for bent pins in socket or you have cooler too tight.
  25. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    I agree, I'd start by confirming this by removing the odd stick and just running with 4GB. I'd also remove the overclock.
    MxPhenom 216, Aquinus and qubit say thanks.