1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2x Intel 520 Series 120GB in RAID0

Discussion in 'Storage' started by shovenose, Jun 17, 2013.

1. shovenose

shovenose

Thanks Received:
    Hi :)
    Getting most of the components for my new computer tomorrow. Today I went to Best Buy (had a gift card) and bought two of the Intel 520 Series 120GB SSDs. I intend to put them in RAID0 using the motherboard's Intel "fake" RAID.

I do have a couple questions though:
    -Will the SSDs still have Trim and all that cool stuff?
    -Will the performance of SSDs in RAID0 be better or worse than just a single SSD in normal configuration. I'm aware that RAID0 is striped so I should get double the throughput, however will latency increase?

Thank you :)

2. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    -Will the SSDs still have Trim and all that cool stuff?. A: Yes, using INTELS new IRST drivers. But only for raid 0 and 1 configs.

-Will the performance of SSDs in RAID0 be better or worse than just a single SSD in normal configuration. I'm aware that RAID0 is striped so I should get double the throughput, however will latency increase?

With SSD's the max speed nearly doubles but if you will notice is another thing and if you do is it worth it, Just remember that if one fails in raid 0 you lose every thing.

I Run Raid for my games for the fastest loading times possible how ever with some games it can be annoying for example Skyrim when you are trying to read the tips as they come on the games done loading and you don't get to read them lol.

3. shovenose

shovenose

Thanks Received:
    HAHAHA there is no such thing as loading TOO FAST for impatient people like me.

Thanks for the info, and yes I'm aware RAID0 is risky but everything important is going to be on a 1TB WD Black as well.

4. shovenose

shovenose

Thanks Received:
    One more thing - best stripe size?

5. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Depends on data on it but i normally pick 32k, no lower than 32k and 64k as the highest.. In the INTEL IRS software it used to at least recommend 16k for SSD it don't seem t o be there now and when i tried it back them i thought it was a bit sluggish.

I tested it a while ago although it was with HDD's and i used to change the format options too as the default waas not always best and all depends on the file sizes.

Haave a look at these 2 threads.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...tripe-size-for-SSD-RAID-0-running-OS-and-apps

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  6. shovenose

shovenose

Thanks Received:
    One of those is from 2008 and one contains malware that Google Chrome blocked me from accessing the site.

7. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Maybe you should stop using Google Chrome unless there was a bad ad that popped up. I would be extremely surprised if XS had malware lol.

8. shovenose

shovenose

Thanks Received:
    Lol, the .be one had malware :)

9. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I should also note that the bigger the stripe the more data your SSDs have to write for any given write operation. If you have a stripe size of 128kb and Windows writes a 9k file, you just wrote 128kb worth of data as far as the SSD is concerned. Lower stripe sizes will improve longevity but will usually hurt read/write speeds. Ever since I switched to 4k stripes, my SSDs don't make nearly as many writes. You're really not going to notice the performance difference between one SSD and two in RAID-0 unless you're copying files.

Edit: My recommendation would be to make the stripe size match the block size of the SSD.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  10. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    not just chrome, My firefox warns me about this

11. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Well i removed the link, but i have tried malware programs which are not detecting any thing ?.. Maybe because i block the ads and such there that nothings detecting it ?.

12. shovenose

shovenose

Thanks Received:
    I am not that worried about performance - even a single SSD kicks HDD ass. I just need more than 120GB storage, so I'll be happy to have around 200-240GB with the RAID0. Nice benchmark scores are just the icing on the cake :D
    And, on an Intel 520 Series 120GB... that's 4K?