1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

3.4E advice

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by whc.demo, Oct 22, 2006.

1. whc.demo New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had an old s478 3.0E Prescott and was given a 3.4E cpu with no heatsink or fan..

so i have put the 3.4E in my machine and it seems to be running ok but i have the 3.0E heatsink/fan on it, does anyone know if that will cause problems or do they share the same type of heatsink and fan system anyway??

I am also planning to overclock this 3.4E so any advice on cooling and expected speeds and so on would be great, thanks.. :)

2. randomperson21

randomperson21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is the old hsf stock? I'm not too familiar with intel hsf's, but i'd assume if it fits, its good. You want to monitor temps very carefully to make sure its not overheating, prescotts are beasts when it comes to temps. One thing that would be good is to clean both the hsf and the processor and put new thermal paste on it. personally, i like artic clean and artic silver 5 for doing that.

For overclocking, i'd HIGHLY reccomend getting a new 3rd party hsf. Personally, i like zalmans, but other people here have other opinions too.

3. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    DO NOT OC on the stock intel s478 hsf get a 3rd party cooler stock the cpu will be ok but ocing on the stocker is murder

4. AshenSugar

AshenSugar New Member

Thanks Received:
    p4......ewwwww nutburst is soo icky

5. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    Not much advice to give, but if that is an "Extreme Edition" CPU? It's a NICE one imo, because of the added L2 cache...

NICE, for the older Intel architecture, that is!

APK

6. steve258 New Member

Thanks Received:
    As suggested, A good 3rd party HSF is highly recommeded with good thermal paste and case airflow if you plan to oc that thing. All stock HSFs for prescott P4s should have copper base and flower shaped fins, so make sure that is what you are using instead of the old northwood aluminium ones.

Depends on your mobo and RAM you should be able to reach 3.8~4Ghz no problem, with good cooling of course.