1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

3G speeds

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Champ, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Champ

Champ

Thanks Received:
    so I brought me a virgin mobile smartphone about a week ago and today I was and still am having horrible speeds. speedtest has me around 60kbps. I started monitoring my usage today and I can tell I haven't used 2.5 gbs yet...nowhere near it. I mostly listen to pandora and watch streaming vids. I have virgin, which is run by sprint. I have read their speeds can really bog down. Anyone else experience anything like this? I forgot to mention that if u ever go over the limit they cap your speed to 250kbps. I don't understand what's happening here
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  2. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Unless you live pretty close to the transmitter 3g is hit and miss. I don't know about the US, but in sweden it's almost impossible to get advertised speeds unless you walk to the tower and connect the computer directly to it.
    driver66 says thanks.
  3. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    Just yesterday I did some test on both my Nokia N900 and Blackberry 9780, I use Virgin Mobile which uses the T-Mobile network; I got around 1500kbps download and, what's amazing for me, 1500kbps upload which is more than what I get at home on my desktop (20mbps down and 1.2mbps up).
  4. Champ

Champ

Thanks Received:
    Well its up to 700kbps this morning which is still slow but more like normal. My top was 1100/800
  5. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    I used to get those speeds. It would sit at 62-125 Kbps from 9AM-12PM. I figured it's when most people are using their free daytime minutes etc. I was using a HSDPA Mobile Broadband dongle with a 3G SIM Card inside it, connected to the PC.
    12AM to 9AM I could get up to 1300Kbps. I was on Pay As You Go so no chance of being capped for going over limit. I live 0.35 miles from the closest tower thing. Also note I'm talking Kbps, not KBps.

I now hate them with a vengeance for sapping my life for over 3 years.
  6. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    It's actually roughly the same up speed.

I tested from work with 3 bars, on T-Mobile got 1850kbps down and 350kbps up
  7. Champ

Champ

Thanks Received:
    Those are some good speeds. I hear they are working on their networks or throttling their speeds
  8. Champ

Champ

Thanks Received:
    I just got an email back from them and they said if you have the unlimited plan, they don't do any speed throttling at all
  9. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    thats bullshit.

theres a network here called THREE that does all this mobile broadband malarky too. and i was signed up to them for about a year on a rolling contract.

When i first signed up with them, speeds were good but they heavily deteriorated over the next 5months, to the point where im getting less then 50Kb/s during the day which is just rediculous.

I had an older dongle that i was using, but i upgraded to a newer one that uses HSDPA+ and despite multiple reviews that claimed that HSDPA+ opened up their networks speeds to 21MB/s i dont think anyone elses connection on their network has ever reached that kind of speed.

Three strongly deny throttling. but yet cant explain why i can only download files @ 5kb/s and still load flash heavy/intensive pages in a blink of an eye during certain hours of the day,

and its something that has been pretty well documented on the internet so I know im not the only one having the problem.

I have since canceled my contract with them and switched over to something better, Unfortunately it still suffers from throttling during certain parts of the day but its less problematic the the only one. the only time it starts to throttle is between 3 or 4pm-12am.

whatever they tell you is lies. If they say they are not throttling, then chances are they been victims of their own success and sold too many unlimited data contracts and thus overloading their network can handle.

In my case with the previous contract - the bastards were throtting mobile broadband, so the customers on their unlimited data mobile phone tarrifs can have fast internet.

so dont believe a word that they say as they have probably been trained to deny it when you ask them
  10. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Most likely that the people on the phone are being lied to in the first place.
    And yea, they definitely do throttle their speeds, for contract users and for pay as you go users.

Found any BTOpenZones near you yet? :p
  11. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    nope, but i found a way around my 5gb a month limitation - its now unlimited, but the speed still suffers every so often
  12. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    I got a Vodafone payg SIM card and I'm getting speeds between 5000kbps and 8000kbps on my N900 and no it's not WIFI. How is this possible? I'm in south London and the Vodafone mast is fairly close http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/ :)
  13. Champ

Champ

Thanks Received:
    Okay, I know I'm past my 2.5 gigs by now and I think they have knocked me back a bit. I got 500 kbps constant this morning. I can't complain with that. I've had dial-up all my life and this at its slowest seems fast to me

Update: Well, maybe my man was right. I just did another speed test and its at 1032 kbps and I know I'm past my limit. I was at my client's house and they are somewhat outta the way. At home I think I'm half a mile from a cell tower. I'm not sure what they look like thou. There is another tower in a field a couple of house over

Just looked at a pic of one and I'm between two
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  14. chinahailin New Member

Thanks Received:
    my often is horrible speeds