1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

4850 crashing problem

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by BradleyKZN, Sep 19, 2009.

1. BradleyKZN

BradleyKZN New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey all, i seem to be having a problem with my pc and i think its the card. I can run 3DMark06 just fine, but cod4 is the problem. On some levels its fine, but on others, the game crawls at 35 fps and stutters like mad. Its almost as though its freezing and then starting again. The all of a sardine it just freezes completely and then i have to restart the pc manually. This is now getting highly frustrating. I have tried different drivers and i removed the old ones using driver sweeper. I have the force3D card that comes with the arctic cooling, so i doubt its overheating. Whats going on here?
    skylamer says thanks.
  2. Rapidfire48

Thanks Received:
    In the CC panel make sure you do not have AA on. I have a friend with a 4870x2 that had the same issue with COD 4 and it was due to AA being on in the CC panel. It is worth a try. Use the game to adjust the settings .
  3. BradleyKZN

BradleyKZN New Member

Thanks Received:
    So i must set it to application decide? I already had that option enabled.
    skylamer says thanks.
  4. BradleyKZN

BradleyKZN New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is it possible that my ram has a problem with my board?
    skylamer says thanks.
  5. temp02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If your application/game/computer doesn't crash (quits due to an error or BSOD) then it's almost for sure a driver optimization problem. Which CCC version are you using (?), because to me the best ones are the 9.9 (although they have video tearing) but to my brother the best ones are 9.8 hotfix.
    Try to change your CCC to an older/newer version and compare the result in the applications you use, but whatever you do never uninstall CCC in Safe Mode (or else you will get problems, simply unistall older version of CCC and video drivers, reboot and install others).
    You might wanna start with 9.2 and go from there.

[offtopic]
    I lol'd at
    [/offtopic]
    BradleyKZN says thanks.
  6. BradleyKZN

BradleyKZN New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol im glad i made someone laugh. Ok, well i have already removed the drivers in safe mode. So ill try another driver. It keeps coming up with an error saying that the drivers were reset because the card was no longer responding to commands. It actually looks to me like cod 4 is running in slow motion even though it is running at 35 frames a second. Edit:gonna try 9.2 now
  7. BradleyKZN

BradleyKZN New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ill be damned, while the same level that causes the problems was loading, the error message came up. As it came up the level finished loading and popped back up and seems to be running just fine, lol wtf is going on here?!
  8. twilyth Guest

If you're running XP, it only addresses 3gig of memory. I had a similar issue before I upgraded to W7 that I believe was due the memory being overloaded. I don't know what demands these games place on memory or if they are able to address additional memory apart from the O/S. If not, it's worth checking into.

If you see a lot of page file usage when running a game, that will be a clear indication that this is your problem and we all know how slow page files are - unless you're running it on an SSD, but even then I wouldn't make any bets.
  9. BradleyKZN

BradleyKZN New Member

Thanks Received:
    WinXP addresses more than 4, its 32bit that does it. I seriously doubt CoD4 is having problems with ram. I did manage to fix the problem by going into task manager and killing anything ATI related. But thats hardly a solution, so does anybody have any other ideas?
  10. mosheen

mosheen

Thanks Received:
    psu maybe??
    50 Million points folded for TPU