• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

4870 - Top Bios flash / GPU register mod

dotdcp

Hey guys,

quick question, yesterday i tried flashing my card with a modified bios i dumped from my card.

i only have 4 voltages available in the registers. i changed the voltage via auto-tune, since i wasnt sure which clock infos to alter. also, i upped the ccc overdrive limit.

the flash was successful, but while booting, always at the same moment, i got a BSOD from atikmdag.sys "SYSTEM SERVICE FAILURE".
(i can only assume, thats because of the ccc limit, or maybe, because there is no fan attached to the card.)

safe mode worked, but i had to reflash the unaltered bios to get the machine to boot normally.

i wanna flash again tonight, and after reading some post here, i decided to use an asus top bios i got from mvktech.

i also read, that 1.35 is a safe voltage for good aircooling (got acc s1 + heatsinks on the vddcs)

now the big question: can i simply change the GPU registers to 1.35V? i have a screenshot attached at the end, maybe someone can shed some light on the matter for me ;)

thanks in advance!
.dcp

Attachments

• 4870.jpg
    4870.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 622

dotdcp

no one active here anymore? :p

either my card has very poor oc-ability to begin with, or the values dont take.

i modded the top bios via registers up to 1.35V (tried lower values also), even getting those read in gpuz, but i got vpu recovers and even freezes @810. the stock bios runs fine up to 780-790 with stock voltages.

maybe its time to send my trusty 4870 into retirement ;)

System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
Your card is working now so the chances are the fan is not the issue.

You should try OC with just CCC instead of BIOS flashing and then test in furmark.
Also check your Vreg temps through CPUZ.

The Vreg cooling modules which come with the AC cooling kits are not great plus the overall design of the cooler is generally made for cooling just the core itself.

So your Vregs will most likely be hotter than they were with the stock cooler since there is absolutely no fan cooling besides case fans I am assuming.

Depending on the monitor you have the 4870 could still be a great card.

dotdcp

i should have elaborated the situation more :p

the card runs fine, always did. i experimented with the supplied vrm heatsinks, but after going through some alternatives (adhesive sinks on the rams and vrms) i found, that using the stock base plate from the 4870, plus s1 plus additional sinks in the vitec chip works best.

of course i tried oc via ccc first, makes no difference. but its curious that i can max out ccc's settings at stock voltage (790) without a problem (on warm days i could get a vpu recover now and then). but then it wont do 20mhz more with +0.1V.
thats why i suspected the voltages not being applied at all. nonetheless, the performance gain is marginal, so i will leave it at that ;)

thanks anyway!