1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

650 ti news spam

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by Easy Rhino, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    I count 16 press releases today about different companies releasing their 650ti. This seems counter productive and I would suggest lumping them all in 1 big news post.

Darkleoco says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    +1... But I think the newsies here get paid by the article... hence at least a small part of the reason for spamming them. Not to mention advertising is by the click I would assume... so, makes sense.

3. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    denied

m1dg3t and brandonwh64 say thanks.
  4. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Why? I've been thinking about this as well.

5. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    PR is PR guys. We cant mix them up.

dude12564 and AlienIsGOD say thanks.
  6. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    On the vendor side, I can see how combining them would make them upset as they are not getting their own article.

7. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    vendors don't pay to have their press releases posted here. instead of having 16 different press releases making for a terrible looking front page, and making it difficult to sort through the more recent news, create one article.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    We have to display all vedors man. PR is PR. Each card is different. Lumping together does no one any good. PLUS its only one day we spam like this.

9. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    there is no rule that you have to display "all vendors." 1 article on the front page linking to separate vendor press releases would really clean things up. this isn't really criticism as much as a suggestion.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    If vendors don't see their press release, vendors stop sending press releases => bad for TPU.

11. Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    I kind of have to agree with Easy Rhino here.

When TPU has more spam PR from vendor than a dedicated Video Card/GPU sites it just seams sloppy and overkill.

I dont see the need to have one PR for each. Just look around the web, not even the dedicated GPU only sites do that much.
    Unless you getting paid for the click links for those PR its overkill and just spams up the front page.

You can always bundle them up together like you do reviews at the top of the page for multi PR on the same item or product.
    Vendors still get notice and its a recap but without the full page clutter.

There is a lot more than just GPU news in the enthusiast arena going on. Maybe a more brauder news search for headline is needed. Just too much basic news gets to look like a basic console magazine covering hardware.

Maybe more initial news finding and not just linking Source of a source.

(Sugguestion box)

12. chinmi

Thanks Received:
    AFAIK no you cannot combine them, because different manufacturer usually have different tag line, features that they boost and different spec that the manufacturer proud and want to brag to the audience...

for example 1 card has "triple fans, coller then ever", 1 card has "3 slot usage, make it looks big and powerfull", 1 card has "OC out of box, 100% above factory settings", or even maybe "lifetime no oc warranty, you oc you lost your warranty"... and so on... and if tp combine them vendor don't see tp display their product superiority displayed, and that's bad PR for tpu and the vendor too...

but that's just my 2 cents...

13. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Good point. :toast:

Not a good point. You, by rule, have to post all they send?

That isnt true as we dont post some vendors press releases and we still have a very positive relationship with them.

14. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    You gonna tell one vendor their PR isn't as good as their competition? Do you like to see reviews on TPU or not? :laugh:

No we post them ALL or none at all.

15. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    yeah thats the main issue. also it lets you comment on the specific releases

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  16. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    Well I like all the PR it gives me something to read on a slow day.

17. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    gee i must be bored if i am arguing about this.

you could have one link on the front page containing an article that links to each individual PR. very simple and clean.

anyway, w1z has already made up his mind so moving on...

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Well, we all like the nice video card reviews Wizz does, so he needs to get samples from the vendors. A little ego stroking of each vendor doesn't hurt! We don't want them to think that TPU considers every vendor's release to be the same, or else they may not want to bother sending a sample. I think a one day news spam is quite acceptable for that opportunity.

19. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Gentleman... as long as you have been at this game you both should know they send these blindly. They wouldnt know if it was published to your website or not.

Regardless, I see the motivation... $ (and thats Ok!). :toast:

+1 - But then the newsie wouldnt get paid for each article and tpu wouldnt get the hits.

20. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Trust me....they KNOW when TPU posts. ;) :toast:

21. Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    Thats the necessary evil.

You have to play nice to vendors to get sent free stuff and you end up deluding your rating system. Then the only differance becomes suite between review sites and the harder it is to disdinguish yourself from others the more combursome it is to keep up with it.

In an essence what distinguishes you becomes deluted over time because your basickly now doing a on date comparison.
    Just sticking to GPUs as they tend to have driver updates that mature over time.

When the last time you seen a site not give a decent rating to a product because its beholden to a good/decent review to keep its relationship with said vendor in good faith to keep its channels open for the next cycle.
    Reviewers just end up rubber-stamping reviews with a +7 rating from a 0-10 scale to say look we did a fair job send us more.

Vendors who dont get a decent/good rating will not bother because sending someone a couple hundred dollar product for bad press is suicide.

Searching forums for reviews from people that buy said product helps cut through the Back-Scratching that goes on aswell, giving you a better picture of a product.

Until a financially stable review site pops-up this is the necessary evil of today.

22. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    you have to be professional. which means (in that order) reliable, respect ndas, have technical knowledge, have significant traffic, treat their stuff fairly.

most products that companies send out for review are "good". they do check that first internally. i'm not sure why some people are so obsessed with the ratings number, but what score should a product get that works and that works great for a majority of users? maybe just translate the percentage of happy users into a score? how far would that be from the numbers we are giving?

besides, if you dont like our scoring system, just dont look at it and read the conclusion. or don't read the conclusion and look at the data - everything is there.

have you read my powercolor devil 13 review? or the gtx 590 ? where do you see that back-scratching? yes, powercolor will send me more products.

tpu is financially stable

compare our reviews against other sites. who has such a wide selection of games? who does card-only power testing in multiple scenarios? who has serious noise testing? what about performance summary/performance per watt/performance per dollar?

23. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    You don't have to justify anything, W1zz, and much less to someone unable to understand them to begin with. He more or less suggested that your GTX 660 reviews were not reliable because the 4 of them were showing different numbers for other cards. :laugh:

24. Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    Dont forget the time you were comparing a Fermi and a Kepler in Compute Power on a OpenCL bench and kept on insisting that it was the same test but the discription on that top clearly stated different benching details.

Thats was classic :laugh:

Oh no, now you'll link that Steam Hardware Survey again for the 1millionth time.

I was speaking in a braud terms of the state of reviewers.

Being professional isnt exclusive to giving a high score. 0-10 scales are the same as bronze, silver, gold, editors choice, etc, etc... There there to satify someone and give a general assumption of a grade of said product. You could easy just render the 0-6 from the 0-10 and dump that or add a decimal to expand the grading scale.
    You can even go as far as to add a user choice scale like some games reviewer do.

When I speak of financially stable is that reviews dont relly on contributions by vendors. Being able to independantly purchase said review product and not sacrifice its professional relationship with the company. There not exclusive. Buy said product on release and sell it or donate it to charity but your not beholden to that company if it chooses to discontine providing its product for review in exchange for your traffic.

Which is the bottom line to them positive exposure.

Perfect example was Nvidia stopped sending out sample to reviewers after 670. Reveiwers had to get those by other means if they wanted to provide benchmarks for said product. Review site had to due with AIB OC products and down clock them. As far as I know none have bought a ref desing to test aside a few that said were able to obtain one by other means but wouldnt disclose details just results which could just aswell be a down-clocked AIB oc product.
    Just one of the latest examples if your not financially stable and independant.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  25. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    no idea what you are talking about.. got a link for me?