1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

6870 Bios Flashing

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by MasterTB, Mar 14, 2011.

1. MasterTB New Member

Thanks Received:
    So... has anyone successfully flashed a 6870's BIOS to increase GPU/Memory clocks, voltages and Fan curves?
    I've been trying to do that on a Sapphire HD 6870 (this one)with no luck at all.
    After what seems to be a successful flash the AMD drivers will cause a BSOD -atikmdag.sys- and windows will stop.
    Only removing the drivers and returning to the original BIOS will solve the problem.

2. sy5tem

Thanks Received:
    you can only play with voltage with RBE anything else result in Blue screen as you experienced

MasterTB says thanks.
  3. MasterTB New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's what I suspected. Thanks.

4. MasterTB New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bumping this thread... has anyone successfully modified a BIOS for a 6870 Radeon card?
    I mean modifying the original bios of the card to change clocks, voltages and fan speeds?
    Martin.-

5. ecbr New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a sapphire hd 6850 and also had the same problem "After what Seems to Be a successful flash the AMD drivers causes BSOD-Will atikmdag.sys Will stop-and windows." Does anyone have a solution as
    to solve this?

6. Belle

Belle

Thanks Received:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  7. MasterTB New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's the problem.
    You can flash but then you cannot install the drivers properly.

8. blazen95 New Member

Thanks Received:
    this is the bios that i was looking for, the toxic one, but if you say it gives you BSOD, then i'm afraid to flash it. Maybe the toxic version is a non reference board so some settings are different. I have a MSI reference 6870 with XFX black edition bios (940 / 1150 ) workin perfectly 24 / 7 since 5 months.

9. Belle

Belle

Thanks Received:
    Yes, the Sapphire 6870 Toxic hasn't got a reference board. It's more like the HIS 6870 iceQ X Turbo X, i think. It seems like the XFX Black BIOS stays the best option for reference boards.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  10. blazen95 New Member

Thanks Received:
    For me now the XFX Black version of BIOS is the best. I cannot find HIS Turbo X one so until i research if that one works or find it i'll use xfx bios.

11. blazen95 New Member

Thanks Received:
    by the way, i've seen that HIS 6870 ICEQ X Turbo X has the same PCB so the bios from it will work on reference cards also. Please post it if anybody has it.

12. MasterTB New Member

Thanks Received:
    My main concern is the fan profile.
    My Sapphire cards get TOO HOT when playing intensive games like Crysis 2 and they shut down causing a system hang.
    The only way to correct this is by using the fans at a fixed high speed or by flashing a new profile on the bios, which is impossible at the moment.

13. Belle

Belle

Thanks Received:
    I've bought this cooler for my Radeon 6870 and the temps are between 50° and 55° C in Crysis 2 (75° C Furmark max). I combined it with the standard cooling solution. I removed the case and the radial cooler from the standard cooler and I had to grind off some aluminum for the heatpipes from the Twin Turbo. The passive cooling board was used again under the new Accelero Twin Turbo Pro.
    http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/furmark_score_190.php?id=158489

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  14. blazen95 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've seen that techpowerup has updated their gpu bios collection with some new bios also. Maybe they will find the his iceq x turbo x 6870 one too. until then i am using XFX black one. my card when i play crysis 2 is somewhere between 60-62 at max but am i using msi afterburne with fan profile at 50 %. Is loud but i play the game with high sound and i cannot hear the graphic card. Also i did not change from 11.4 preview to 11.3. Anyway 11.4 was not a big improvement from my side, the big improvement was 11.2. I am to lasy to change that now and i am using 11.4 preview.

I saw that you said you bought a new cooler, yes i like it but i want to buy another 6870 in the future and that cooler takes 3 slots and i cannot make CFX anymore. I am waiting on you guys to find the HIS ICEQ X TurboX bios file.

15. ov2rey New Member

Thanks Received:
    i also having problem before i flash my HD6870 i was using a XFX black edition bios was working great no problem..

but yesterday my hand itchy go flash Sapphire HD 6870 bios end up cannot start...

i still trying to flash back XFX bios.. but don't know how..

can't even enter windows..

gpu fan running @ 100% cannot boot into windows...

is there anyway to flash back the bios?

windows detected no ATI video card

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  16. damric

damric

Thanks Received:
    Why not edit your fan curve with Afterburner or Trixx?

17. Belle

Belle

Thanks Received:
    @ov2rey
    I ever boot to dos with a usb stick using this program and some dos files. The newest version of atiflash is here.
    If i screwed up my 6870 with a wrong BIOS i would use it in the second slot and another graphics card in the first pcie slot. You can boot to dos with this configuration and flash your 6870 with XFX Black BIOS.

18. blazen95 New Member

Thanks Received:
    do not flash sapphire toxic bios anynore. just wait for his iceqX turbo x one. that bios will work also with reference cards.

19. ov2rey New Member

Thanks Received:
    i fixed the card.. i uninstall the driver from my amd setup and slot in PCI E slot 2 and using onboard graphic to run the flash

20. Belle

Belle

Thanks Received:
    I've testet the Sapphire Toxic BIOS from techpowerup this morning and the computer won't boot anymore. This BIOS isn't compatible with reference cards. I had to flash it back with a second graphics card.

21. blazen95 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i think we all agree on that. if anyone of you will find the his iceq x turboX version of the bios please post. that one it seems that works on reference cards because the card is a reference one.

22. MacClipper

Thanks Received:
    Belle says thanks.
  23. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    I successfully flashed my old 6870's.... but they were reference cards. I flashed them from the reference XFX 6870's to the XFX black edition then to the MSI Bios. Used normal programs to do it. But I hear that this problem plagues allot of people. (That it won't stick when you flash the BIOS)

24. blazen95 New Member

Thanks Received:
    did anybody tried MacClipper bios from HIS ? i am at work now so i cannot do that. please give feedback if you already tried this !

L.E.: I saw that for those clocks 975 / 1150 this Bios file is using 1.231 voltage. Who knows if the reference card will go up with this voltage ? Try and confirm !

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  25. ov2rey New Member

Thanks Received:
    waiting other to try it.. i scare to test it... later i hit jackpot again cannot start windows..