• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

70% GPU usage in The Witcher 3 (sli)

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
The average joe plays the same game on a console, not a PC. Also, most users with dual 980 Ti aren't running 1600 MHz memory, and don't use a PSU that was discontinued like three years ago.

Personally, I'd be looking at replacing the PSU, if each card tests fine on its own. There are quite a few things about your system config that makes me cringe, to be honest.
Really? The memory and tiny SSD stands out the most to me.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Really? The memory and tiny SSD stands out the most to me.
When the cost of the rest of the system is 50% of the cost of VGAs, yeah ,there is a problem. That money spent on the second GPU would have been better spent on new SSD and PSU.

FYI, @jonathan1107, I had the exact same problem with my Antec TPQ1200-OC when running GTX 780 TI SLI (if I am completely honest, I used this PSU for a couple of years doing reviews and it was the source of many problems with many boards. It's just junk compared to modern designs, really). I also still see that unigine valley benchmark does something weird that prevents proper utilization when the GPUs are OC'd just a little bit. So, I was quite serious about changing PSU, and such, as well as not judging your system's performance by a single app, never mind one as "punishing" (un-optimized, to me) as Witcher3.

System Name Brutus
Processor i5 4690k @4.7Ghz (Watercooled)
Motherboard z97 MSI Gaming 5
Cooling NZXT Kraken x61 AIO watercooler
Memory Gskill Ripjaws 8gb (2x4gb) 1600mhz 7-8-7-24
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming GTX 980ti x2 (sli)
Storage 1 SSD 64GB (OS) + 2x500GB WesternDigital RAID 0
Display(s) YAMAKASI Catleap q270 SE 27inch Glossy 2560x1440
Case NZXT Phantom
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply Antec TPQ 1200w
Software Windows 7 (64 bit)
The average joe plays the same game on a console, not a PC. Also, most users with dual 980 Ti aren't running 1600 MHz memory, and don't use a PSU that was discontinued like three years ago.

Personally, I'd be looking at replacing the PSU, if each card tests fine on its own. There are quite a few things about your system config that makes me cringe, to be honest.
I'm definitly opened to suggestions. In all honesty I'm surprised you mention the PSU though. It's an ANTEC TPQ 1200w (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371032). Shouldn't 1200w be more than enough for 2x gtx 980ti's ?

As for the RAM, I've always thought that the difference in ram speed didn't affect gaming much. For instance in multiple benchmarks comparing 1600mhz to 2400mhz sticks.
(http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1767636/ram-speed-difference-1600-2400-mhz-important.html)

Oh and to clarify about V-sync. When I manage to hit a stable point (FPS wise) I usually leave v-sync on to avoid tearing but when I run tests, I turn it off. I often turn it off when I first start tweaking a game to see what kind of FPS range I'm dealing with. So yes, in this instance the GPU usage numbers I've given are with v-sync off.

As for CRYSIS 3: Here are my frames with SLI enabled: Min FPS = 56 Max FPS = 143. Here's the funny part: When I turn off SLI. The min FPS is the same and the max FPS drops to 100-110. So it's not just Witcher 3, Crysis 3 also seems to scale badly. Usually, my min frame rates are at least 10-15% higher when I turn on SLI even in the Witcher 3.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
never mind one as "punishing" (un-optimized, to me) as Witcher3.
Even with vsync off and the frame limit set to 60 FPS, it still manages to always run at 100% usage on my 390. I also regularly exceed 8GB total used when playing The Witcher 3 so I suspect the OP might be swapping so in addition to that PSU and SSD, some more DRAM might be in order as well.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I'm definitly opened to suggestions. In all honesty I'm surprised you mention the PSU though. It's an ANTEC TPQ 1200w (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371032). Shouldn't 1200w be more than enough for 2x gtx 980ti's ?

As for the RAM, I've always thought that the difference in ram speed didn't affect gaming much. For instance in multiple benchmarks comparing 1600mhz to 2400mhz sticks.
(http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1767636/ram-speed-difference-1600-2400-mhz-important.html)

Oh and to clarify about V-sync. When I manage to hit a stable point (FPS wise) I usually leave v-sync on to avoid tearing but when I run tests, I turn it off. I often turn it off when I first start tweaking a game to see what kind of FPS range I'm dealing with. So yes, in this instance the GPU usage numbers I've given are with v-sync off.

As for CRYSIS 3: Here are my frames with SLI enabled: Min FPS = 56 Max FPS = 143. Here's the funny part: When I turn off SLI. The min FPS is the same and the max FPS drops to 100-110. So it's not just Witcher 3, Crysis 3 also seems to scale badly. Usually, my min frame rates are at least 10-15% higher when I turn on SLI even in the Witcher 3.
I'm not really sure how much info and ideas I can offer you directly since I don't have 980 TIs, but I do know that when I had those problems with GPU utilization, the TPQ1200 was at fault. I upgraded PSUs to Thermaltake toughpower platinum 1275W, and still see similar in unigine valley, as mentioned. So it is possible there is some driver issue also at play. PSU can seem stable, but under high load, might drop 12V+ voltage low enough that the GPUs react.

So, run firestrike. Post the link to the score that you get. If we can compare some other titles, and they work fine, then we can simply say driver issue. I don't have witcher3 myself but I do have crisis 3, and do not see any issues with GPU usage on my 780 TIs.

System Name Brutus
Case NZXT Phantom
Even with vsync off and the frame limit set to 60 FPS, it still manages to always run at 100% usage on my 390. I also regularly exceed 8GB total used when playing The Witcher 3 so I suspect the OP might be swapping so in addition to that PSU and SSD, some more DRAM might be in order as well.

When you say the word "swapping" what do you mean? You mean swapping to the "page file" ?
As for my RAM usage, I've not exceeded 8gb usage yet. I did come close a few times (around the 6.3gb mark)

Can you guys elaborate on what gains I would get from a "newer SSD, RAM, and PSU" ?
Cadaveca you say you ran into troubles with the antec TPQ 1200w?
Yet it was on this very forum that I was encouraged to purchase it. I do think it was Crazyeyesreaper who at the time had high praises for the PSU.

Am I wrong in thinking that some computer parts are more important to upgrade on a regular basis and some aren't?
Also, I went with 2x gtx 980 ti's because I didn't want to compromise. I wanted to be able to max out every available game (atm) and if possible either get 60fps solid or 100+ for less demanding titles like the call of duty/battlefield games ...

System Name Brutus
Case NZXT Phantom
I'm not really sure how much info and ideas I can offer you directly since I don't have 980 TIs, but I do know that when I had those problems with GPU utilization, the TPQ1200 was at fault. I upgraded PSUs to Thermaltake toughpower platinum 1275W, and still see similar in unigine valley, as mentioned. So it is possible there is some driver issue also at play. PSU can seem stable, but under high load, might drop 12V+ voltage low enough that the GPUs react.

So, run firestrike. Post the link to the score that you get. If we can compare some other titles, and they work fine, then we can simply say driver issue. I don't have witcher3 myself but I do have crisis 3, and do not see any issues with GPU usage on my 780 TIs.

alright I'll run firestrike and post the score. As for unigine, if I understood what you said correctly: You say you "had" issues with gpu usage being unstable in the past due to the tpq 1200w, when you switched to the thermaltake toughpower, those issues "mostly dissappeared" EXCEPT for unigine correct?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
When you say the word "swapping" what do you mean? You mean swapping to the "page file" ?
As for my RAM usage, I've not exceeded 8gb usage yet. I did come close a few times (around the 6.3gb mark)

Can you guys elaborate on what gains I would get from a "newer SSD, RAM, and PSU" ?
Cadaveca you say you ran into troubles with the antec TPQ 1200w?
Yet it was on this very forum that I was encouraged to purchase it. I do think it was Crazyeyesreaper who at the time had high praises for the PSU.

Am I wrong in thinking that some computer parts are more important to upgrade on a regular basis and some aren't?
Also, I went with 2x gtx 980 ti's because I didn't want to compromise. I wanted to be able to max out every available game (atm) and if possible either get 60fps solid or 100+ for less demanding titles like the call of duty/battlefield games ...
Building a great system is about more than just GPUs. You have to balance the rest of the components to match the GPU choice.

The Antec TPQ 1200 was a good PSU, but these days, not so much.

Swapping, yeah, possible page file.

alright I'll run firestrike and post the score. As for unigine, if I understood what you said correctly: You say you "had" issues with gpu usage being unstable in the past due to the tpq 1200w, when you switched to the thermaltake toughpower, those issues "mostly dissappeared" EXCEPT for unigine correct?

Correct. Once I reach a certain clock, performance tanks in a huge way, nearly less than single card, but I can play anything else at much higher clocks without any issues at all. To me, this is a problem with that title specifically.

ALso, please do not double post. You can edit your older post to add in the new informations.

System Name Brutus
Case NZXT Phantom
Building a great system is about more than just GPUs. You have to balance the rest of the components to match the GPU choice.

The Antec TPQ 1200 was a good PSU, but these days, not so much.

Swapping, yeah, possible page file.

Correct. Once I reach a certain clock, performance tanks in a huge way, nearly less than single card, but I can play anything else at much higher clocks without any issues at all. To me, this is a problem with that title specifically.

ALso, please do not double post. You can edit your older post to add in the new informations.

Yes sorry about the double posting. I was under the impression that when I do EDIT a previous post, nobody notices it (or at least you don't get a notification correct?)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Yes sorry about the double posting. I was under the impression that when I do EDIT a previous post, nobody notices it (or at least you don't get a notification correct?)
I always check for edits myself, because I am a user that constantly edits posts. :p

I just finished testing. I reset my bios to stock settings. So my CPU went from 4.6ghz to its 3.5ghz default (it boosts to 3.9ghz) when it needs to.
After doing this in Crysis 3 my GPU usage drops to 40%-50% instead of the previous 70%. Frames dropped too. Maybe 13% less frame rate.

So yeah, it does look like the CPU might be the bottleneck somehow. And yet, I'm so surprised it is. I mean, I do understand my CPU is nothing compared to the budget I put on the GPUs... but I was certain an i5 4690k would do the job.

When you say I'm gonna need ddr4 why is that? You mean to say those new mobos require ddr4?
Lastly: What kind of budget am I looking at if I upgrade? (doesn't have to be ultra precise, just trying to get an approximative idea)

EDIT: Forgot to mention my GPU usage when only using a single graphics card (that's with my CPU OC'ed at 4.6ghz) I get a solid 90% plus GPU usage... I only drop to 70% once I use SLI.

I don't know why anyone is bringing up the PSU/RAM/HDD when he tested the CPU bottleneck and found out it was the problem.... Yes, I agree the RAM is cutting it too close and the HDDs aren't the best... I don't understand the PSU issue but I don't have that specific PSU so I couldn't tell you. None of those things matter if he wants pure gaming performance since the test he did showed where the bottleneck is.

Yes, the 2011v3 mobos need DDR4.

Approx budget is ~$1000

You could try going for a 6700K but the price difference is tiny and it offers 50% less cores.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Ah yes, I love having this discussion because it comes down to what cadaveca said earlier:
Truer words have never been spoken. If you want a completely smooth experience you need to consider a couple other things beside CPU clock and GPUs.
  1. System memory, the page file, and you. Windows loves to be able to run on any machine without crashing applications and thus swap space and disk space mapped to virtual memory was born. Unfortunately, taking information in and out of storage is costly and while you may not be fully using all of your DRAM, Windows very well might be preemptively swapping out certain pages to ensure there is space available to go forward. This has the unfortunately side-effect of hitting disk I/O while you're playing a game that could be dynamically loading content. The result is some level of stuttering. The solution is to have enough memory to ensure you can run everything from system memory and never swap anything out. Unfortunately goes a little gung-ho on the swap file which includes caching data. Disabling the page file on modern windows will actually re-map a virtual page file back to memory, as a result the available space in the "page file" when it is disabled is equal to the amount of free space in system memory.
    tl,dr: Get 16GB of memory and disable your page file to never deal with a page fault harming performance again, Modern Windows will make a virtual page file so no applications should be impacted.
  2. Your SSD is tiny, as a result, I know you're not using it for gaming (The Witcher 3 is over 30GB in size when I installed it,) so it's probably not on your SSD. That's an issue because dynamic loads from rotational media drives is terrible by comparison so this too will add to the stuttering. This is why you should get a bigger SSD to compliment you mass storage devices. Keep things you want to run silky smooth on the SSD and everything else on HDDs.
@cadaveca has used your PSU and has had the same problem so, I suspect there is more than one thing going on here.

Your best bet is a new PSU, a new SSD, more system memory (might as well go faster while you're at it,) and ditch the page file IMHO.

Your best bet is a new PSU, a new SSD, more system memory (might as well go faster while you're at it,) and ditch the page file IMHO.

Please don't do this... Please.

I don't remember him saying anything about having stuttering and hitching, I thought you had low FPS and low GPU usage.

A bigger SSD will not help you whatsoever, my brother has a 250GB mechanical HDD and has zero issues with The Witcher 3, the game has no texture streaming issues or stuttering from having the game on a mechanical hard drive.

8GB of ram is low but unless it's not being maxed out it's not an issue and wont lower GPU usage.....

Like I said, the PSU I have no idea about since I don't have the PSU but it seems an Antec 1200watt 80+ Silver PSU is good enough. But I couldn't say for sure.

I know some people here are hating on this guys poorly balanced system since he has 2 980ti's but stop trying to make him buy things that wont fix his problem but make you feel better about the composition of his PC.

You'll have to test the PSU to see if it is the problem but if it's not then it's the CPU..

I just reread previous posts and noticed you get 90%+ on your GPUs when look to the sky, if the PSU was at fault and not pushing the required watts/volts you should have consistent ~70% on the GPUs no matter what you look at, so I would lean more towards the PSU being a non issue.

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I just reread previous posts and noticed you get 90%+ on your GPUs when look to the sky, if the PSU was at fault and not pushing the required watts/volts you should have consistent ~70% on the GPUs no matter what you look at, so I would lean more towards the PSU being a non issue.

Meh. Thing is, you haven't actually offered any sort of help or reason for his "problem", just "they're wrong!". :p How about a solution, then? There is like a nearly 200 page thread about poor GPU usage for 900-series GPUs on the NVidia website. :p

I'm having the exact same type of behavior with crysis 3 as well. GPU usage jumps from 70% to 98% depending if I look at the sky or elsewhere...
But I'll try Ferrum Master's suggestions and lower my OC on my cpu to see if it affects GPU usage even more, to determine if my CPU is the bottleneck.

I find it hard to believe that it could tho... The i5 4690k clocked at 4.6ghz should be plenty of CPU power for 2x gtx 980 ti's No ???
What do you think?

Yeah there's a bottleneck, it's either a game optimization/SLI optimization or simply the CPU bottlenecking you. You have to realize that 2 980ti's in SLI is pretty hardcore and even a 4 core at 4.6Ghz may be a bottleneck in some games that are properly optimized to use many cores.

You have a hardcore GPU setup but a mediumcore CPU setup :p ;)

Drop your CPU to default clocks and see how the game runs and check the GPU usage. If the performance suffers then there's a good chance that you have a CPU bottleneck.

alright I'll give it a shot
Another thing I haven't done yet is upgrade to windows 10. I'm running windows 7 (because I got everything setup, tweaked, I'm running fences on my desktop which is just awesome. And the thought of having to go through the process of setting everything up again for a windows 10 upgrade which atm doesnt mean MUCHO Graphics performance increase... well it might be a mandatory upgrade in the future with dx 12 titles I guess but as of now...)

so yea. I'll try stock settings with my CPU then I'll try windows 10 and if I still see poor gpu usage, I'll try different drivers and then finally settle on upgrading my CPU and mobo

Oh and while we're at it, what would be a good mobo/CPU upgrade suggestion?
i7 or i5? which gen?

I would go 6 core 2011-v3, the 5820k. For mobo, something along the lines of a Gigabyte GA-X99-SLI or equivalent. You'll also need to go DDR4. So this is not a small upgrade so before you go upgrade make sure you know that it's a CPU bottleneck that you have. :p

I just finished testing. I reset my bios to stock settings. So my CPU went from 4.6ghz to its 3.5ghz default (it boosts to 3.9ghz) when it needs to.
After doing this in Crysis 3 my GPU usage drops to 40%-50% instead of the previous 70%. Frames dropped too. Maybe 13% less frame rate.

So yeah, it does look like the CPU might be the bottleneck somehow. And yet, I'm so surprised it is. I mean, I do understand my CPU is nothing compared to the budget I put on the GPUs... but I was certain an i5 4690k would do the job.

When you say I'm gonna need ddr4 why is that? You mean to say those new mobos require ddr4?
Lastly: What kind of budget am I looking at if I upgrade? (doesn't have to be ultra precise, just trying to get an approximative idea)

EDIT: Forgot to mention my GPU usage when only using a single graphics card (that's with my CPU OC'ed at 4.6ghz) I get a solid 90% plus GPU usage... I only drop to 70% once I use SLI.

?

Meh. Thing is, you haven't actually offered any sort of help or reason for his "problem", just "they're wrong!". :p How about a solution, then? There is like a nearly 200 page thread about poor GPU usage for 900-series GPUs on the NVidia website. :p

You were saying?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
?

You were saying?
How many of those posts of yours suggest buying new hardware, the same thing you suggest others shouldn't?? You said CPU bottleneck, and he should buy a 5820K.

Like I said, I agree with your sentiment, but your approach sucks, and I'm a troll. You suggest he buys a new CPU, I suggest PSU.

The Antec TPQ-1200 OC is a very suspect PSU because of the knobs on the back that allow you to change the 12V voltage. These pots have a tendancy to fail, leading to the PSU not being able to reliably supply its full 1200W. They were excellent PSUs in their day, but that day was about 5 years ago (well, 6 or more, if I'm completely honest, pretty sure these PSUs came out in 2008-2009). How many PSUS have capacitors in the PCIe lines these days?

EDIT: Do keep in mind the change to PSUs for proper Haswell support. (sleep state);).

Last edited:
System Name Brutus
Case NZXT Phantom
How many of those posts of yours suggest buying new hardware, the same thing you suggest others shouldn't?? You said CPU bottleneck, and he should buy a 5820K.

Like I said, I agree with your sentiment, but your approach sucks, and I'm a troll. You suggest he buys a new CPU, I suggest PSU.

The Antec TPQ-1200 OC is a very suspect PSU because of the knobs on the back that allow you to change the 12V voltage. These pots have a tendancy to fail, leading to the PSU not being able to reliably supply its full 1200W. They were excellent PSUs in their day, but that day was about 5 years ago (well, 6 or more, if I'm completely honest, pretty sure these PSUs came out in 2008-2009). How many PSUS have capacitors in the PCIe lines these days?

EDIT: Do keep in mind the change to PSUs for proper Haswell support. (sleep state);).

Ok guys done the firestrike test and got around 19k as score. Don't know if this link will work though but here it is:
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/8865081

My thoughts on the matter:
All of your suggestions make sense. Indeed I could use more RAM. I don't think I've been RAM limited but it's true that very soon 8gb won't cut it.
As for the SSD indeed, I only have windows OS on it and a few important programs (no games) my games are on my HDDs (which are set in RAID 0) so yeah... they do get tad bit higher read write speeds (I think), but yes. I was simply waiting for the SSD prices to drop a bit before getting either a 500gb or 1tb (or 2x 500gb) SSD. Last time I checked that would have cost me around 500-700$ CAD dollars.

As for the CPU, as much as I hate to admit it, it does feel like it's the culprit. I did see a huge GPU USAGE drop as soon as I reverted to stock settings (bios) compared to my 4.6ghz OC. I did see a substantial difference in frame rates as well. One thing to keep in mind though about anything that has to do with technology. Often resolving a PC issue involves many many many many possibilities, especially with the number of spec combinations and software installed etc...

I've always been a very perseverant guy, so I will get to the bottom of this lol. My gut feeling tells me there's something that is preventing the full potential of my graphics cards. With my previous GPU setups, I've always noticed that of course FPS tends to go higher if you look at the sky, there's simply less stuff out there to render lol. But as for my specific situation here:

I noticed the following: In both The Witcher 3 and Crysis 3 (1440p res, vsync off, all components cool, nothing overheating)
I get an AVG frame rate that is way below what it should be. The difference between single card and SLI enabled in both titles is almost ridiculously low (not normal in this particular case). For instance, at 1440p in the Witcher 3 with everything maxed (and I mean everything) I was getting frames hovering around 65-105. I observed that often my frame rates were stable at 90+fps but there were at least 40% of the time that my frames would sit around 65-75 all of a sudden and I know it's got to do with either my CPU or possibly my CPU overclock ... (something... for sure lol)

Same kind of story with Crysis 3. My frames seem to be 60-120 with a single card and about 65-135 with 2x cards. Considerable GPU usage difference this time around between the 2. Almost 95-99% GPU usage all the time rock solid with a single gpu in crysis 3 and around 60-90% with 2 cards (mostly around 60-70) because of the bottleneck issue. As if adding the 2nd card didn'T help at all.

And THAT is NOT normal. Because I did my research and Crysis 3 is on of those titles that Scales really well with SLI. Almost double the frames with dual GPU.

I'm gonna go research on google to see if someone has a similar setup to mine (hopefully I find benchmarks of someone who has 2x gtx 980 ti's with a i5 4690k or something really close to it)

EDIT: someone asked about Stuttering issues before. I don't really have that much stuttering going on. Well I usually get some in certain situations, but I usually quickly find a way to get rid of it. That (imo) depends on lot on optimization and drivers.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Well, fortunately now a 500 GB SDD that does 500+ R/W is like $250-$350 CAD.

You could try boosting VCCSA voltage a tad, maybe CPU cache voltage, but if either of those were an issue, usually you'd have stuttering if on the edge of stability.

Firestrike score is where it should be. So it's either a software issue, or PSU, to me. But as you seem to be headed towards, I'd be looking for someone with a similar config (4790K would do), and comparing what they get in Witcher3 as well. I know that erocker and his 970's are doing just fine, so I am loath to think it's really a bottleneck, but it could very well be.

If it is a CPU bottleneck, it's the title that is at fault, given the firestrike scores (no real bottleneck for firestike @ 19,000+).

I also have rigs with 5930K, 4790K, 6700K, and 4960X, and see little to no difference in games from CPU changes, unless in specific titles. But all my chips have Hyper-Threading. It'd be more prudent in the case of CPU upgrade to move to a 4790K than a 5820K, IMHO, unless you plan on adding more VGAs. The cost of board/CPU/DDR4 just isn't worth it.

Last edited:
Maybe HT would be enough, not sure. I can tell you from experience that The Witcher 3 is very CPU intensive and 4 cores at 4.6Ghz may not be enough if you want to push two 980ti's. It's not surprising you are getting a CPU bottleneck in two games that push PCs hard. My 2500k at 4.7Ghz nearly becomes a bottleneck in The Witcher 3 when I run at low graphics @ 1080p, I get ~60FPS and the CPU usage can jump to 90% on all cores at times and hover around 70% when doing nothing. This is with a single GTX670. I don't recommend a PSU change but an upgrade of your CPU is required.

You can go the easy route that might be enough and get the i7 equalivent of your CPU and overclock it, it might fix the problem and it may not. You can go 2011v3 and a 6 core CPU which will no doubt eliminate the CPU as a bottleneck or 1151 and a 6700k which SHOULD fix it, with an overclock. The 6700k isn't a big upgrade over the last generation, 4*** series of Intel CPUs so it may not remove the bottleneck but I'd like to think it would.

System Name Brutus
Case NZXT Phantom
I'm gonna try and monitor (OSD MSI AB) all of the stats I can get during crysis 3 gameplay, film it and upload it and share the link here so you guys can see exactly how my system behaves in both games. Maybe it will help confirm our suspicions

cadaveca

My name is Dave
try using something other than afterburner (GPU-Z with log file enabled)to record; Afterburner might be causing the problem!

System Name Brutus
Case NZXT Phantom
try using something other than afterburner (GPU-Z with log file enabled)to record; Afterburner might be causing the problem!

alright, I just finished filming the MSI AB monitoring, I'll do the same with GPU-Z with the log file
I'll EDIT this post to include the link to the video and the log file.

LOG files uploaded
EDIT 2:

here's the video where you can see my CPU usage, ram usage, PAGE file usage etc.
At the start of the video I'm in the menu loading the game so of course wait a few seconds for the GPUs and CPU to start getting their load.

In case you wonder:
The Stats monitored in MSI AB are as follows:
CPU temp/CPU usage
GPU 1 temo/CLOCK/GPU1 usage/GPU1 power/GPU1 memory usage
FPS
RAM usage
PAGEFILE usage
GPU1 memory/memory clock
GPU 2 memory/memory clock
CPU1 temp/CPU 1 usage
CPU2 temp/CPU 2 usage
CPU3 temp/CPU 3 usage
CPU4 temp/CPU 4 usage

@LightningJR
@cadaveca

Attachments

• GPU-Z Sensor Log 11.10.2015.txt
    14.9 KB · Views: 270
  • GPU-Z Sensor Log 11.10.2015 2.txt
    12.6 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
alright, I just finished filming the MSI AB monitoring, I'll do the same with GPU-Z with the log file
I'll EDIT this post to include the link to the video and the log file.

LOG files uploaded
EDIT 2:

here's the video where you can see my CPU usage, ram usage, PAGE file usage etc.
At the start of the video I'm in the menu loading the game so of course wait a few seconds for the GPUs and CPU to start getting their load.

In case you wonder:
The Stats monitored in MSI AB are as follows:
CPU temp/CPU usage
GPU 1 temo/CLOCK/GPU1 usage/GPU1 power/GPU1 memory usage
FPS
RAM usage
PAGEFILE usage
GPU1 memory/memory clock
GPU 2 memory/memory clock
CPU1 temp/CPU 1 usage
CPU2 temp/CPU 2 usage
CPU3 temp/CPU 3 usage
CPU4 temp/CPU 4 usage

@LightningJR
@cadaveca

lol, my work here is done. 95-100% on all cores of the CPU. Pretty sure it's CPU bottlenecked..

OP,

You don't need new hardware. The "issue" is that you play with V-Sync "Off". I get the same 99% utilization on my single 980Ti + 5280K if I turn V-Sync "Off". If I turn V-Sync "On" I get about 75% utilization.

Turn your V-Sync "On" at set max FPS to 60 (assuming you have a 60Hz, non G-Sync monitor).

System Name Brutus
Case NZXT Phantom
OP,

You don't need new hardware. The "issue" is that you play with V-Sync "Off". I get the same 99% utilization on my single 980Ti + 5280K if I turn V-Sync "Off". If I turn V-Sync "On" I get about 75% utilization.

Turn your V-Sync "On" at set max FPS to 60 (assuming you have a 60Hz, non G-Sync monitor).

It would be fun to see your system specs. Did you fill up your sys specs on your techpowerup profile?