• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

9800SE softmod driver problem? (PC rebooting!!!)

colinu2

Folks,

My first post here, so forgive me if I'm using the wrong section to post this thread into!

I have an ATI 9800SE which I softmodded maybe 6 months ago. All went well (even though it's never been "thrashed" ... I'm not a serious gamer!) - but a week or so ago I started have problems with my PC. It reboots for no apparent reason, and one of the (many!) errors that Windows is reporting is that it was caused by a graphics driver problem. A couple of times it's even gone into to more detail giving this error:

Error Message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078)

The softmod driver is version 6.14.10.6246 , dated 03/08/2004.

Any thoughts about this problem. Is it likely to be just be 'cos I'm using an old version of the driver, or is there something more serious going on?

Yes, I've downloaded the latest driver, but I'm waiting until I can get my PC to run a bit more stable (i.e. not reboot within the first 5 minutes) before I install it!

Cheers,
Colin.

P.S.
There is one good thing about this "disaster"... it's finally made me get my finger out and go for an Athlon 64 upgrade (MSI K8N Neo Platinium mobo, skt754 3200+, 1G RAM, etc will hopefully arrive before the weekend) :) :) :)

Wolfie8881

have you tried a different power supply ? i had some similar problems and it was the powersupply.

colinu2

Power supply... the thought had crossed my mind, but it's a fairly beefy (450W) unit that I have. If problems persist after I've changed to my Athlon64 set-up then PSU will be the first suspect.