1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A few simple Powerline questions...

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Techtu, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    I'm thinking of buying a powerline kit but before I do there is a couple of things that I'd like to know, if I buy a starter kit how easy is it to add to that? And if I did would I just go buy another adapter and plug in the wall + device or is there more to it than that?

All help/tips would be appreciated

ps I know I could use google but I prefer to ask real people.
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  2. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    I have 4 in my house. I recommend the 500mbps ones, I have 200mbps ones and they're fairly average, they get me my 84mb broadband fine, but file transfer is pretty bad.

Literally you buy 2, plug them in whereever, plug one into router and the other into the device, then hold the reset button for 5-8 seconds. do not hold the button longer than 8 seconds otherwise it will just reset the adapter and not actually connect to each other. Whenever you want to add an adapter to the network, just plug it into the socket, hold the button for 8 seconds, and it will magically connect to your existing powerline network. Pretty easy stuff. I've had my 4 for 3 years, and they've never caused me any problems.

Even if you switch them off at night or whatever, they'll remain paired, so when you turn them back on, there's no need to resynchronise them all.

Do note, different power sockets seem to be more effective than others for some reason, so experiment with spare sockets if you have the length/time/space.
    Techtu says thanks.
  3. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Easy peasy, if you want to add to it just make sure you get plugs from the same brand. Some plugs dont play nice with each other because the encryption is different
    Techtu says thanks.
  4. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    It depends on the circuitry in your house. For example, since I'm on the second floor if I connect it to two outlets on different circuits, the signal has to travel all the way to the basement, into the breaker box, and back up to the second floor to wherever the other adapter is. Because of this I found that I wouldn't get much more than 35-40Mbit. Just keep that in mind.
    Techtu says thanks.
  5. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    sounds like its just as simple as i thought, which is always good news! As for the circuitry that will be fine too as there is only my kitchen that is on a separate circuit.

On a side note, when did TPU get the new look? I love it on my mobile now!
  6. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    What's this about they shouldn't be used with surge protected (power) extension leads/plugs?
  7. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    They severely bottleneck the potential bandwidth. Plugging mine into a surge protected extension lead literally halved my bandwidth.
  8. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    that sucks for me, all the sockets in this house are single sockets and aren't very well placed around the house at all! Meh... I'm only using 20mb broadband anyway and rarely do large file transfers its mainly for the odd computer that I get in for repair that doesn't have an wifi so obviously quicker to hook up via ethernet than to keep installing my own wifi drivers
  9. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    You can split a plug without it being on a surge protector. Just get a short extension cord that supports >1800w and has two plugs on it. It's less limiting than a surge protector is but you can still plug a surge protector into it without having the powerline adapter on it. It diminishes bandwidth but not nearly as much as putting it on a power strip.

Consider it a better bad option. :p
  10. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    You can use extension cords, but not surge protectors, just make sure it is a decent quality extension cord.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU