1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A sad sad attempt for my first build

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by celidee, Jul 11, 2006.

1. celidee New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey all,

As the longest three(not including weekend) days of my life passed on I awaited my new system from new egg which included:

Thermaltake Soprano w/ 430 PSU
    Zalman fan
    Sata 80 gig
    Samsung DVD-RW

Bought ABIT IC7 MB off ebay to go along with my Intel 2.4C (socket 478) which was in my current system in hopes to overclock it. Anyhoo, started and "ended" the intallation but when I press the power button on the soprano nothing happens....I mean nothing.....not a flicker of life nor a flashing led....:banghead:

My power switches are placed in the MB properly as well as the ATX12V and ATXPWR1 cables, I just don't know what the problem is. This is my first build so of course I didn't expect for everything to go smoothly, any one know whats wrong? Or better yet, if there is something that not working how would I be able to determine if its the DOA MB or the DOA PSU/Case, any help would be appreciated.....Im about to shed a tear as I have lost all of my patience.... :cry:

2. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try the switch on the back of the PSU :p

You could have also placed the power switch in the wrong position, if you cant get it to boot at all, take a screwdriver and run it across the raised pins that connect the power/reset switches and the power/hdd leds.

3. celidee New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah its definitely not the switch...:)

power switch has been double checked....

I don't understand the screwdriver thing...what does that do?

4. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    It will trip the power on. If that doesnt work, then you have other issues.

5. celidee New Member

Thanks Received:
    no that didn't work either, judging that its not giving me ANY form of life is it a PSU problem??? Also what is the red switch on the back of the PSU where you can toggle it to 230 and 115?

6. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dont touch that. In europe, their power lines run at ~220 volts, while in north america we use ~120.

7. celidee New Member

Thanks Received:
    oh lol, I was indeed messing around with that a bit... no more suggestions wazzle doozle? I guess I'm not gonna sleep much tonight....gonna do some searhing on these forums and google, :sight:

8. OOTay

OOTay New Member

Thanks Received:
    if you touch that switch you will get won hell of a fireworks show.

9. celidee New Member

Thanks Received:
    damn really....lol...I'm not messing with it anymore...help!

10. CjStaal

Thanks Received:
    only if he lives in europe. Celidee did you add the raisors first? The bronze things so the motherboard doesn't touch the case. Did you add the RAM?

11. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol. Lack of ram doesnt keep a comp from booting.

12. v-zero Guest

Either the PSU is fu**ed or the mobo is shorting out somehow... Did you install the copper/plastic mounting posts underneath the mobo? (Yes I have seen people not do it...) If not I suggest it is a motherboard or PSU probelm... You have another motherboard from your old pc so test that out...

13. rpgbefore... New Member

Thanks Received:
    if he did forget... i would have to shoot myself because i told zek if one person forgot... i would shoot myself :laugh: lol but something is wrong... if u did put the posts in did u put the pads between the screws and the motherboard? if not it might be shorting out.

14. v-zero Guest

The seporator pads aren't actually necessary, and many manufacturers no longer ship them... The PCB it-self is insulated, it's just the open metal at the bottom that is dodgey really...

15. celidee New Member

Thanks Received:
    hello all, yes I mounted the seperaters in the back, I just woke up, restless night, I'm going to switch out the motherboard with the old one and see if that works, also make some more power checks....

16. celidee New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dead motherboard!!! Her burial will be on friday....::sniff::

Put my old Asus p4sdla in the new case and it worked like a charm, now that the frustration is over I'm in search for a new motherboard but I don't want to wait for one to get here, fu(k ebay!!

With that in mind where can I get a good 875P socket 478 motherboard from a retail place
    ? Comp USA?? Thanks for all your help guys...

17. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    Well, @ least you're in GOOD hands here imo...

See subject-line/title: These guys, if anyone can, should be able to pull you out of that tailspin there... IF you haven't damaged any of your parts that is (or, if they came to you messed up, this happens too).

That P4 @ 2.4ghz (non H/T type) is supposed to be able to get to 3.2ghz, & was considered the BEST overclocker iirc, from the P4 family...

:)

* It's "doable" & if anyone can help you out here? It's the folks here... they are WAY "into it"...

APK

P.S.=> WHOOPS! "Edit Part" - didn't catch your last post, w/ you stating your mobo is d e a d... damn, that sux!

I have an Abit IC7-Max 3 in my 2nd system, they're great mobos, one of the highest rated from the year 2003 in fact & iirc... why I bought it! Very feature laden... apk

18. drade

drade

Thanks Received:

See if you fidget around and try stuff (problems) there is always a way to fix them.. .Im really glad this is your first build, I love seeing people building new pc's for the first time, Mine was hella hard LMAO....... I hope it works out well for you man.

19. celidee New Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL, there is still hope for my system yet!! BTW, I have the 2.4 HT so I'm hoping to make this puppy overclock.

looking at the comp USA MB and I'm not happy, no 875PE yet....

20. rpgbefore... New Member

Thanks Received:
    howabout u just move to socket 775? i no a good mobo if u move to diff mobo and socket... the ECS C-19 SLI hehehe... i got 4.7ghz on my p-4 3ghz so ya... it overclocks well

21. drade

drade

Thanks Received:
    people dont have alot of money to do that.....

Anyways, I got a 3.0E p4, I like it, not best OCING proc, but the mobo, aibt ic7-g is killer man... But im glad im upgrading since Im making this thing stress with high high temps even on a big typhoon.

22. rpgbefore... New Member

Thanks Received:
    the ECS C-19 SLI XE IS BETTER!!! i have it... i no... u can set the fsb to 314mhz= about 1254 fsb

23. celidee New Member

Thanks Received:

Thanks for the advice, I'm new to building systems so I want to overclock this current processor as much as possible. Its not about the money drade, I just want to wait before I move on to a 64 bit processor because I know that I'm going to want to run Vista when it officially comes out....but thats another discussion...hehe:p

Anybody want to donate a MB! Preferably an IC7-G....LMAO!!!!

24. rpgbefore... New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol sure!!! jk but u COULD buy 1 couldnt u? also, vista is overrated... get win xp pro x64... its much better and actualy has games built around it...(farcry) and anyways... if u get that u can brag and say "OMG I HAVE WINXP 64 ^.^" lol

25. demonbrawn

demonbrawn New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have WIN XP x64. I formatted it off my hard drive as soon as I installed it. Hardly any software I wanted to install was compatible with it... :shadedshu
    Everything said something like must be installed on Windows XP 32-bit version with SP2 or something like that. It got really annoying so I just went back to 32.