1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Acer or Samsung for 120Hz monitor?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by va4leo, Aug 22, 2010.

1. va4leo

va4leo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi!

I am looking at getting a 120Hz monitor. I have been looking at the Samsung 2233(RZ/HZ) and the Acer GD245HQ.

The Alienware OptX (AW2310) is out of budget.

I was wondering, based on the two monitors, which would be the better buy?

I have read almost every review available, however, have yet to find a review that decently puts the Samsung against the Acer. I also have very limited experience with Acer.

So, my questions are:

1. What is the picture quality like on the Acer?
    2. Is it an overall better monitor than the Samsung?
    3. Is there another (22" or 24") monitor that I should consider?

oh yes...3D (Single Player) gaming is part of the reason for this purchase, however, its more for the 120Hz refresh rate for FPSs.

THANKS!! :)

2. amd64skater

amd64skater

Thanks Received:
    i would go with the acer. it has a higher contrast ratio and its a bigger screen. ive had my acer al1751 for over 5 years with no dead pixals or anything go wrong and i couldnt be happier.

3. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    I would get the Samsung if you can find it without those stupid 3D glasses, that should cut $100+ off the price and make it a reasonable cost. And I like the Sammy because it is not ugly, burnt orange.

On a more serious note, get the Acer out of those two as it is a superior product including screen size, price, screen resolution, etc.

4. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    After reading this review I'd either wait for the price to come down on the asus or not buy any of them. It's never a great idea to buy new tech while it's still being phased onto the market. http://www.anandtech.com/show/3842/asus-vg236h-review-our-first-look-at-120hz

It's price will drop harder and it will become obsolete faster than any other tech item until there's some normalization of supply and demand. Personally I'm waiting until 120hz edges out 60 and becomes mainstream.

5. va4leo

va4leo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good to know. Thanks!

Thanks for confirming what I thought!

I read that review as well. I read a whole lot moer reviews on the ASUS and decided not to go anywhere near it. It is very clear that the reflective screen will be a problem for me.

I play FPSs and try to get 120 fps. However, After your post, I am considering waiting till March or so...we will see! Thanks!

6. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Go Samsung IMO.