1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Advice needed before butchering my psu

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by Maju, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Maju New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi All

Need some help in figuring out what to do.
    I have a OCZ GameXstream 700w PSU. -

[​IMG]

I am currently running a AMD64 X2 6000, 8800GTX, 5 sata HDD's and a sata dvd drive and fan controller from it.

I have just got a second 8800 GTX but I have run out of 6pin pci-e connectors.
    The psu as far as I can make out has 4 12v rails each at 18amp

Coming out of the psu are 2 separate pci-e cables.

2 CPU 4 pin cables

2 molex leads each with 3 molex and a floppy power connector

2 sata leads each with three sata connectors

My problem is that I have run out of pci-e connectors. Will I get away with using molex to pci-e connector - one from each molex lead ?

Or more preferably would I get away with replacing one of the molex leads with 2 pci-e connectors?

Or ideally would I be get away with adding a second pci-e connector onto the existing pci-e connectors so that each gfx card is running from an individual rail?

My other alternative is to wire in a second psu.
    Unfortunately I jaust cannot afford to get a different psu right now so have to look for a workaround solution.

I hope that this makes sense and would appreciate it if you could share your advice as I am due to start rebuilding the computer tomoorow.

Many Thanks

2. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtXâ„¢

Thanks Received:
    i think you need a different power supply because two 88's are gonna kill that

Maju says thanks.
  3. Maju New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK. Thanks AthlonX2
    Looks like it's going to be 2 psu's going into the computer tomorrow. Cable management heaven:rolleyes: