1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

after restart, computer sits at Winxp screen

Discussion in 'General Software' started by FuryofFive, Feb 29, 2008.

1. FuryofFive New Member

Thanks Received:
    sometimes i turn the computer off by holding the power button down. after doing so, the computer boots up to the winxp screen, and sits there...it takes me about an hour or so, to get it back to windows...is this a result of not shutting down the right way. im thinking its because of possible bad HDD, as in i dont have this problem with other Hdd's.
    i dont restart my pc often either.
  2. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    You shouldn't turn off your PC by holding the power button unless it's crashed.

Try turning it off normally, then rebooting and see what happens. If it sits there for ages you have a problem, if not, well just stop turning it off by holding the power button ;)
  3. FuryofFive New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol, but it takes sooo long hah.i usually do turn it off by shutdown, but sometimes when u want it off right away heh...you know when you want it real dark.hah...thats about it for me
  4. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It is possible that you have a corrupted xp install. Try booting from an original xp disk, and run a repair install. See if that fixes it.
  5. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    I guess it's a trade off. Quick shutoff and ridiculously long boot time, or longer shut off and much quicker boot time.

Take your pick.
  6. thoughtdisorder

thoughtdisorder New Member

Thanks Received:
    +1. Still, I would not recommend shutting down every time by holding in your power button. Doing this routinely is just begging for problems. Possibly try repairing your OS, then power down properly going forward. Depending on what files may have been lost by improper shut downs, you might have to do a full install. Chances are repair will take care of it for you though.
  7. FuryofFive New Member

Thanks Received:
    when u say repair,i seem to have misplaced my xppro disc, so i used an xphome disc to do fixboot, and fixmbr...
  8. thoughtdisorder

Thanks Received:
    Did that work for you? Will your computer boot up and go into Windows relatively smoothly?
  9. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    I reckon you should do a scan disk as youve probably corrupted data on your drive due to not shutting down properly....

in windows, select the scan disk app... then tick both the boxes (scan and correct file system errors...)... (it will say that it can only do it after a restart...select yes) then reboot.
    depending on how big your drive is and how screwed the filesystems are, it will take a while.

It will scan your drive before starting up windows... this way it will be able to fix and delete and filesystem errors and your startup should be saved ;)
  10. FuryofFive New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah,ill probaly run a scandisk tonite when i get home, im at work at the moment :)
  11. FuryofFive New Member

Thanks Received:
    heh thanks, i know how to scandisk hah
  12. thoughtdisorder

Thanks Received:
    Good thinking Twicksisted!

After that is done, defrag wouldn't be a bad idea either. (But AFTER running scandisk and fixing errors)
  13. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    I have a raid 0 setup, and whenever I dont shut down properly it causes serious problems (more so than one disk)... if I do shutdown by pressing power button (not crashing by blue screen from overclocking etc which completely destroys it) then my boot up will get slower, and slower etc...

Runnning a scandisk with all the options on, on a reboot (not the normal scandisk within windows but where you select both check boxes in the scan application and reboot to do a full system scan) will scan & fix file system errors...

Your pc is slowing down on startup as it most likely has file system errors as its trying to load up and this is slowing things down... also you could download and run "CCleaner" and do a reg scan and fix any broken handles... this will also speed up bootup time as your machine will no longer boot up looking for non existant programs that never uninstalled properly ( http://www.ccleaner.com/ )

Id strongly reccommend doing the full surface scan with file system error checking first. As you wouldnt want Ccleaner to fix broken reg links that are actually broken files. ;)