1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AHCI SSD and Raid HDDs - Vertex 3 or Samsung 830 SSD

Discussion in 'Storage' started by bretts31344, Dec 1, 2011.

1. bretts31344

bretts31344

Thanks Received:
    I finally got my first SSD (Kingston V100 64GB) and need some help with the BIOS settings. I know that it should be set to AHCI mode, but then I can't run my Samsung F3s in Raid anymore. I guess I could do software raid in Windows 7, but that doesn't seem to be as fast as hardware raid right? If I set the BIOS to raid, then the SSD isn't in AHCI mode anymore is it?

I also ordered another Vertex 3 64GB and Samsung 830 64GB, but can't decide on which one to keep. Which one would you all recommend, as it will mostly be used for games? I know the Vertex 3 is faster, but it seems like it either work amazingly well, or causes BSOD frequently. The 830 has lower write speeds, but so far it seems the Samsung SSD are reliable. I know my motherboard only has Sata 2 ports, but I will either be buying a Sandy Bridge system this year, or Ivy Bridge when it is released.
  2. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    Set it to RAID. You can still use other drives (including the primary) as singles. RAID has full AHCI functionality.

I'd go with the V3 myself and do regular backups.